How to Meet a Prince or Princess!

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden
www.thesun.co.uk

EVERY girl dreams of marrying a prince – and now the goal is within reach.

Traditionally, only girls born into royalty or the nobility had any chance.

But now princes are turning to “commoners” to find the perfect princess.

This week the future King of Spain, Crown Prince Felipe, announced he will marry divorced TV newsreader Letizia Ortiz.

He is not the first Royal to look beyond the blue-blooded birds for a bride.

The marriage of the heir to the Dutch throne, Crown Prince Willem Alexander, to Argentinian lass Maxima Zorreguieta last year was hugely popular.

His younger brother, Prince Johan Friso, recently gave up his right of succession in order to marry human rights activist Mabel Wisse Smit.

And Danish Crown Prince Frederik has announced his engagement to Australian estate agent Mary Elizabeth Donaldson.

Norwegians are used to their royals marrying commoners – the current Queen Sonja is one – but Crown Prince Haakon’s wife Mette-Marit is more common than most.

She was a single mum and a regular on Norway’s drug-fuelled rave scene before settling down with her prince.

Further back, American-born Queen Noor caught King Hussein’s eye during a visit to Jordan.

And of course our own Duke of Windsor gave up his throne to marry American divorcée Wallis Simpson.

So how do you go about bagging a prince? Here is Sun Woman deputy editor SINEAD DESMOND’s guide, with tips from etiquette expert Jean Broke-Smith.

Then, when you have brushed up on your manners and donned your tiara, check out our line-up of royal bachelors to see who is still available.

Attachments

• 0__2003510665_00.jpg
    0__2003510665_00.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 852
What to wear

YOUR clothes should be fashionable but classical. A knee-length skirt or suit is fine for most occasions.

Jean, pictured with model Sinead, says it is important that your handbag and shoes match.

Limit jewellery to a simple necklace and earrings.

Princes expect a degree of polish and refinement so they go for girls who take care with their appearance.

Attachments

• 0__2003510668_00.jpg
    0__2003510668_00.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,068
Hair & make-up

GO for a sleek and sophisticated hair style.

Long hair should be worn away from the collar in an elegant arrangement such as a chignon.

Being a princess is a full-time job and you have to look the part. If you have messy hair you are giving the wrong impression.

Make-up should be subtle but effective.

Use it to highlight your good points without going over the top.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 827
Table manners

SIT up straight, with your bottom right back in the chair.

Do not lean over your food or put your elbows on the table.

Do not cross your legs. Your left leg should be tucked behind your right.

Work through cutlery from the outside in with each course.

Hold a glass of white wine by the stem so you do not warm it. Red wine can be held by the bowl.

If you have to leave the table, excuse yourself to your Prince, step out to the right side of the chair and put your napkin on it if you are coming back. If not, put the napkin on the table.

Keep the conversation light and stick to topics you are interested in. If you know nothing about golf, for instance, don’t bluff it.

Pay attention to cues from your Prince. If he seems keen to drop a subject, take the hint and move on.

Be careful about jokes. If you don’t know your Prince very well, you can’t tell if that mother-in-law gag will offend him.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 759
How to stand

PUSH your shoulders back and hold your head up.

Pull your tummy in and tuck your bottom under your torso.

When posing for a picture, put one foot forward and keep your weight on the back foot. Push your hips and pelvis forward, toes turned out.

When you sit down, do not cross your legs and never rest your elbows on your knees because you will look squashed up.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,045
Where to go

IF you want to meet a prince you have to wangle your way into the haunts of the rich and famous.

Try hanging out in the bars and nightclubs of St Tropez and Monaco or take up skiing in Klosters or St Moritz.

Visiting clubs and pubs near St Andrews in Fife, Prince William’s university, is a good bet.

Or Europe’s nobility are often seen in top London restaurants such as San Lorenzo and The Ivy.

Holiday resorts you should try include Mauritius, pictured top, Barbados and St Barts.

And society events such as Henley, Ascot and polo matches often attract royalty. If a prince asks you to dine with him, keep cleavage to a minimum. Less is definitely more.

If you have lovely jewellery wear it but make sure it is co-ordinated. Make sure your shoes are in keeping with the outfit and that they are comfortable.

Offer to pay the bill but don’t put up too much of a fight when he insists on flashing the royal Amex card.

Whether you are at a cocktail party, posh dinner or greeting people with your prince, always remember to project an image of confidence and control.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 774
PRINCE OF JORDAN

HASHIM bin Hussein, 22, attended Fay School, in Boston, America, and the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,883
PRINCE OF ORANJE-NASSAU

DUTCH prince Floris Frederik Martijn, 28, studied law at university, plays the drums and loves most sports.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,792
PRINCE OF ORLEANS

PRINCE Foulques, 29, the Duke of Aumâle, in France, has worked for a Press group and an investment office.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,920
PRINCE OF YUGOSLAVIA

THE 21-year-old Prince Filip was educated in England. He enjoys snowboarding, scuba diving, painting and music.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,790
PRINCE OF LANGENBURG

PRINCE Ludwig Ferdinand Ruprecht, 27, is an enthusiastic sailor and a member of Germany’s Motor-Yacht Club.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,747
PRINCE OF SWEDEN

HE was crown prince until a law change made his sister crown princess. Now Prince Carl, 24, is in the navy.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,729
PRINCE HARRY

PRINCE Harry, 19 and 6ft 1in, has been in the news for his wild partying. He loves polo and all sorts of sports.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,739
PRINCE WILLIAM

WILLS, 21, our future King, has been breaking hearts since he was a shy teenager. He loves rugby and skiing.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,796
PRINCE BOURBON

SON of the Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Prince Guillame, 21, is a keen sportsman. He’s now reading politics at university.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 1,719
PRINCE OF HESSEN

THIS 33-year-old is a photographer who was born Philipp Robin to the royal family of Hessen, Germany.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,708
Excellent, Josefine.

Josefine  Posted: Nov 6th, 2003 - 4:12 pm

Do not cross your legs. Your left leg should be tucked behind your right.
Does this, with all due respect, apply to left-handers as well ?

Hold a glass of white wine by the stem so you do not warm it.
And the reward is -- when glasses are clinked against each other -- that the glass gives a satisfying musical tinkle (versus a thud, when the unsophisticates hold it by the bowl).

I would do polite into the Royals Family and neat with the people and more styles,make-up,clothes,more!

I would stay straight with my body but its little fair but its okay for me! i can stand-up for me!

Sara Boyce

What an enjoyable read. Thanks. I got a kick out of it......

CHanel

Yes! Thank you!

Wonder what the guys should do to meet a princess??

;)

"Wonder what the guys should do to meet a princess??"

Well, I was going to mention that.

"EVERY girl dreams of marrying a prince – and now the goal is within reach."

I would like to change a few words in the opening clause but overall I agree with the sentiment.

Is there any of our members that hs has met a prince yet?

Originally posted by Josefine@Dec 20th, 2003 - 10:53 am
Is there any of our members that hs has met a prince yet?
Well, wasn't a metting, but i shake Prince Felipe's hand once :heart: When he visited Lisbon during the Expo'98. He's a very gentle person and i must say that he's TALL (and i'm so little, my neck realy hurted :lol: ). And i realy loved his eyes, they are very beautiful, and his smile, makes him look like a big kids :p What realy surprised me was his hands (also very big), they weren't smoth like you expect in a Prince :p Later i read i a book that is because the boats and the sailing ;)

"Later i read i a book that is because the boats and the sailing"

yes, all of that touching of rope. I can imagine.

Aaah...we're forgetting the BIGGEST breeding ground for royals now aren't we children?

THE OLYMPICS

A few examples here:

1) King Carl Gustaf XVI of Sweden met Silvia Sommarlath at...NONE OTHER than the summer Olympic games that were held in Germany in 1972 (Or the next ones I forget). Silvia Sommarlath, a commoner, became QUEEN Silvia of Sweden upon her marriage.

2) Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark met Mary Donaldson- a commoner- at the 2000 summer Olympic games in Sydney, Australia. They are now engaged and set to marry in May 2004.

I know. I mention that in my predictions next year. I was surprised that nobody had mentioned it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom