The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-12-2020, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

I think one can't anme an exact humber of wokring Royals as it is different in each Monarchy. Depends on waht is expected in doing in engmagemtns and foreign tours,
Norwa had during King Olav's reign 3 working royals and then during the first 10 years of King Harald's reign only 2 with the King and Queen. In Sweden it was 4 uring a long time of King Carl Gustaf's reign and then 3 after the death of Prince Bertil and when CP Victoria started fulltime royal work Princess Lilian slowed down. Of course in both countries they had Princess Christina or Pricness Astrid who did the occasional duty.
In Spain it was for a the first time of King Juan Carlos reign only the King and Queen whod did royal work only after thier children had completted their education's it became more working royals.

This is complett different with the UK also other members then the royal Couple or the Crown Pricnely Couple does offical foreign Tours.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:42 AM
Majesty

As to the initial question: only the Monarch,his/ her spouse and the direct next in line and his / her spouse!All others can work for their income.That is the situation here in NL and all are happy with that,the RF and the people.We don't do freeloaders here nor whimsical pretentious upstarts and spoiled rotten little
dukes with an overdose of his moms genes..

Old 01-12-2020, 08:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
As long as these things are clear from the start, I think it might work. Although I do wonder the wisdom of kicking out the siblings of a monarch instead of asking them to stay on as 'part timers' (as they age they can slowly decrease instead of completely removing them; especially if the children of the new monarch are not yet old enough to fully start their royal duties).
I wish Lula ( or other expert Spanish poster) were here to explain it better, it, as far I understand, there is a royal decree from 1981 relative to the registry of births, marriages and deaths of members of the Spanish royal family. The aforementioned decree defines the members of the royal family as the King and his wife, the King’s parents , the King’s descendants and the heir to the throne.

Based on that wording, when Felipe became King, the RF was reduced to Juan Carlos and Sofia, Felipe and Letizia. and Felipe’s daughters. Previously, when Juan Carlos was King , I understand Elena and Cristina , and possibly all of JC’s grandchildren ( I am not sure about the latter) were considered part of the Royal Famiily too,.

I don’t know about the consorts of the King’s descendants and of the heir, but another royal decree from 1987 , which regulates the “ titles of the royal family “ includes provisions about the titles of the consort of the Prince or Princess of Asturias and the consorts of infantes so it is reasonable to assume that they are considered part of the Royal Family too, but, again, I am not sure. about that.

In any case, there is little doubt that Elena and Cristina were considered working royals ( even if part timers ) since her public engagements were listed in the official schedule of the Royal Family. After Elena ceased to be a member of the Royal Family, she was removed from the court schedule. Cristina was already not listed because she stopped doing official engagements before her father abdicated ( in other words, in practice, she was already not a working royal anymore even though she was still an official member of the Royal Family).

: Another confusing point, which Lula or Tatiana Maria may perhaps clarify, is that the 1987 decree determines that the children of the king who are not the heir will be “infantes/infantas” of Spain with the style of Royal Highness , but it is not clear if that title/style is lost when their father ceases to be king. In Elena’s and Cristina’s case, it was not , as seen in King Felipe’s royal decree stripping Cristina of her ducal title where she is still referred to as “ Sua Alteza Real la Infanta Cristina [...]”.

The source of the confusion is that the 1987 Spanish royal decree does not use language like “ children of a sovereign” as in the British letters patent iof 1917, or “children born of the descendance of the king” as in the Belgian royal decree of 2015, but rather only “ children of the King”.

Tags
working royals; full-time royals; part-time royals;