How do the Royal Houses Compare/Contrast?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but thats it. None of the british younger royals are close to any of the European royal families and the Spanish one too. Weird.

I suspect the younger royals just aren't interested.

The British royals do have relationships with the continental royals. Its just of little interest to many followers, because it isn't the 'senior royals'. It is Edward and Sophie. For years they have been the ones sent to weddings and events on the continent, that in the past would have been attended by the heir.

Yes, and I always thought that was somewhat cold and dismissive.

It's like everyone higher up is too important, so Send the Wessexes- they have nothing better to do!

I recall reading that the BRF referred to the Scandinavians as the bicycle kings which I thought rather derisive.

It's like everyone higher up is too important, so Send the Wessexes- they have nothing better to do!

I recall reading that the BRF referred to the Scandinavians as the bicycle kings which I thought rather derisive.

Wow that is quite awful. Do the BRF really think they are better than them? Honestly I always felt that after The Queen is gone the BRF won’t be as influential as they are right now.

Its generally felt that the BRF don't think too well of the Scandinavian royals for their "informality".. They prefer to keep up tradtions and to have a show of pomp. Which is one of the reasons for having a royal family.. I don't think there's much point in acting like you are "just the same as anyone else...

Scandinavian royals for their "informality"

This was CERTAINLY true in the 1950/60/70s [when this phrase was 'coined'] Specifically with reference to Queen Juliana [and to a lesser extent Queen Beatrix].. There was a feeling in the UK, that is was somehow inappropriate.

These days the Scandinavian Monarchies [as a whole] are rather grander than the British one- [number of Tiara events, Formal Long dresses for Ladies at Weddings, uniformed 'hofdames' etc,etc] ! I don't think that rather dated perception is 'current' tbh.

Last edited:
Its generally felt that the BRF don't think too well of the Scandinavian royals for their "informality".. They prefer to keep up tradtions and to have a show of pomp. Which is one of the reasons for having a royal family.. I don't think there's much point in acting like you are "just the same as anyone else...

Look at the Nobels, the New Year Levées, the white tie weddings, the Scandinavians easily outplay the BRF in grandeur. Note that the wedding of Harry will not even see jacquet (morning suit)!

Even the State Opening of Parliament is in decline. Last year I saw Peers with beige pants or with sneakers under their wrinkled and smelly looking ceremonial robes. The disdain regarding other monarchies is misplaced.

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia were much older than Charles and Diana.

Yes, but it didn't look like a real friendship, honestly. I don't know how to say this, but I've always felt that Juan Carlos maybe wanted to get to know Charles and Diana (especially the latter) and that's it. I really don't see Diana and Sophia chatting about clothes...

Last edited by a moderator:
There isn't really a closeness to any of the BRF with the Continental Royals - there hasn't been for a long time now. I believe the Queen and DoE remain on friendly terms with Margrethe II of Denmark and Harald V of Norway, but I think that's it. There's actually a fairly clear generational gap if you look at it - the Queen is a decade or more older than any other reigning monarchs, Charles is a decade or more older than many of the Continental monarchs, let alone their heirs; William and Harry are typically either a decade or more younger than the heirs, or twenty years older than them. The exception is the Swedish Royals; Carl XVI Gustaf is about the same age as Charles, Madeleine is only a couple weeks older than William, and the children of Victoria, Madeleine, and Carl Philip are all similar in age to the Cambridge children.

I believe Queen Elizabeth IIi is in friendly terms with several foreign royals. Among them, Queen Sonja, Queen Margrethe, Queen Sofia and Princess (formerly Queen) Beatrix. They are known to meet QEIii privately in visits to the UK .

I believe Queen Elizabeth IIi is in friendly terms with several foreign royals. Among them, Queen Sonja, Queen Margrethe, Queen Sofia and Princess (formerly Queen) Beatrix. They are known to meet QEIii privately in visits to the UK .

Perhaps, but they visit her; she doesn't visit them.

It's been that way for many years.

I don't think that royal houses are actively rebuffing each other but that the lack of interaction is due to royal intermarriages falling by the wayside.

An interesting "what if" to me is would there be more "royal mob" activity if there was an active Greek monarchy since they are the most interconnected royal family:
Greek King and [retired] Spanish Queen Consort are siblings;
Greek Queen Consort and Danish Queen are sisters;
Greek Queen Consort and Swedish King are first cousins;
Greek Crown Prince and Spanish King are first cousins;
Greek Crown Prince and Danish Crown Prince are first cousins.

Then from there you still have Greek Royal Family connections to the British Royal Family and German royal houses like Hanover, Prussia, Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg.

Look at the Nobels, the New Year Levées, the white tie weddings, the Scandinavians easily outplay the BRF in grandeur. Note that the wedding of Harry will not even see jacquet (morning suit)!

Even the State Opening of Parliament is in decline. Last year I saw Peers with beige pants or with sneakers under their wrinkled and smelly looking ceremonial robes. The disdain regarding other monarchies is misplaced.

So you are saying that the BRF are loosing their royal presence?

That expression was coined, I believe, by the British press, not by the Royal Family, and I think it referred originally to the Dutch royals, rather than the Scandinavians.

Anyway, most of the major historic monarchies in Europe (Austria, France, Russia, Portugal etc.) are now gone. Denmark and Sweden are old monarchies, but they are relatively small countries that were at most regional, but never major continental powers. The only surviving monarchy with an imperial past comparable to that of the British monarchy is Spain, but, following the republican interregnum and the Franco dictatorship, the restored Spanish monarchy now keeps a relatively low profile (although it is still a reference in Latin America for example). Belgium and the Netherlands, on the other hand, are "young" monarchies (established in the 19th century), albeit with much older royal families. Both countries also had an imperial past (the Netherlands most notably in Indonesia, but also in Suriname, and Belgium in the Congo), but it doesn't rise to the level of the former British, Spanish, or Portuguese empires. It is understandable then that the British monarchy should get much more international visibility outside Europe than the other smaller European kingdoms.

Last edited:
The British royals do have relationships with the continental royals. Its just of little interest to many followers, because it isn't the 'senior royals'. It is Edward and Sophie. For years they have been the ones sent to weddings and events on the continent, that in the past would have been attended by the heir. They are the ones who have established the relationships with the continental royals. Charles and Anne did years ago, Anne is Haakon's godfather I believe.

Both Charles and his son are in awkward positions. Charles is more of age with the sovereigns or former sovereigns. He is only 10 years younger then JC. He doesn't fit in with the other heirs. How out of place he and Camilla would look and likely feel if invited when the heirs get together at times (like we see the Scandinavians and Lux royals). Other then being heir, he would have little in common with them.

William is closer in age to them, but he isn't the heir. He is not being sent out to events like his Uncle Edward. And now he has a young family and his focus is on them. He isn't an heir like those close to him in age, and those in the same position as him, are children.

It would be nice if since there are royals living in the UK, we saw some more interaction. Not blaming either side on the failure to do so.

I actually think Harry and Meghan may eventually take over where Edward and Sophie do right now. With William and Kate eventually attending major events calling for the heir (like coronations like Charles does), but weddings and such being attended by Harry and Meghan. Not being the future monarchs, and having the added duties at home, they can travel more. I do hope we see these two, or the Cambridges if I am wrong, slowly spending some more time on the continent.

At the very least, they are close in age to Daniel/Victoria and Guillaume/Stephanie.

This proposal again shows that continental royals aren't considered that important. There is no reason why William and Catherine cannot go to royal weddings etc. All other heirs (of age) do or the monarch him/herself goes. So, I see no reason at all why the UK delegates that to less senior royals. By now Edward and Sophie have better relationships than Charles and Camilla but that isn't the case for Harry vs William.

As you already referenced, William and Catherine are about the same age as Guillaume and Stephanie and will most likely be in the same position for quite some time (just like their fathers were both heirs from 1964 and 2000; so Charles had a colleague only a few years younger for decades!), so indeed perfect for socializing and given Carl Gustafs age Victoria might be the heir for quite some time as well and children in the same age group helps as well, so two couples that might be the ones that they could develop closer relationships with if so inclined.

Last edited:
This proposal again shows that continental royals aren't considered that important. There is no reason why William and Catherine cannot go to royal weddings etc. All other heirs (of age) do or the monarch him/herself goes. So, I see no reason at all why the UK delegates that to less senior royals. By now Edward and Sophie have better relationships than Charles and Camilla but that isn't the case for Harry vs William.

As you already referenced, William and Catherine are about the same age as Guillaume and Stephanie and will most likely be in the same position for quite some time (just like their fathers were both heirs from 1964 and 2000; so Charles had a colleague only a few years younger for decades!), so indeed perfect for socializing and given Carl Gustafs age Victoria might be the heir for quite some time as well and children in the same age group helps as well, so two couples that might be the ones that they could develop closer relationships with if so inclined.

The European Crown Princes are older and got married long before William and Kate got married. Charles attended Philippe's, Willem-Alexander's and Felipe's weddings; he didn't attend Frederik's and Victoria's, which is somewhat surprising, but, in any case, William could not have attended any of those events (not even Victoria's) given his age and/or civil status at the time.

Now that William and Kate are established senior royals, they have been reaching out to the Continental royal houses. They have made visits (either alone or as a couple) to Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway, and the recent Scandinavian tour in particular was specifically described by the British side as an opportunity for William and Kate to "get to know" the CP couples of Sweden and Norway and "share experiences" about raising children, etc.

There won't be any major royal wedding in the near future, but it wouldn't surprise me if we saw William and Kate more often in royal events in the continent in the future. At some point in the next decades, I believe we will see a series of major royal funerals, as the older generation inevitably bows out, but it wouldn't make sense to send William and Kate to those events; Charles IMHO, even when he is already King, would be the best choice to attend.

Last edited:
That expression was coined, I believe, by the British press, not by the Royal Family, and I think it referred originally to the Dutch royals, rather than the Scandinavians.

Anyway, most of the major historic monarchies in Europe (Austria, France, Russia, Portugal etc.) are now gone. Denmark and Sweden are old monarchies, but they are relatively small countries that were at most regional, but never major continental powers. The only surviving monarchy with an imperial past comparable to that of the British monarchy is Spain, but, following the republican interregnum and the Franco dictatorship, the restored Spanish monarchy now keeps a relatively low profile (although it is still a reference in Latin America for example). Belgium and the Netherlands, on the other hand, are "young" monarchies (established in the 19th century), albeit with much older royal families. Both countries also had an imperial past (the Netherlands most notably in Indonesia, but also in Suriname, and Belgium in the Congo), but it doesn't rise to the level of the former British, Spanish, or Portuguese empires. It is understandable then that the British monarchy should get much more international visibility outside Europe than the other smaller European kingdoms.
Were the french, Russian, Austrian and Germany monarchies much bigger in terms of influence than the British monarchy? How is it the Spanish royal family is not visibility known in terms of influence when the new younger monarchs and their daughter is a great image?

Last edited:
The European Crown Princes are older and got married long before William and Kate got married. Charles attended Philippe's, Willem-Alexander's and Felipe's weddings; he didn't attend Frederik's and Victoria's, which is somewhat surprising, but, in any case, William could not have attended any of those events (not even Victoria's) given his age and/or civil status at the time.

Now that William and Kate are established senior royals, they have been reaching out to the Continental royal houses. They have made visits (either alone or as a couple) to Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway, and the recent Scandinavian tour in particular was specifically described by the British side as an opportunity for William and Kate to "get to know" the CP couples of Sweden and Norway and "share experiences" about raising children, etc.

There won't be any major royal wedding in the near future, but it wouldn't surprise me if we saw William and Kate more often in royal events in the continent in the future. At some point in the next decades, I believe we will see a series of major royal funerals, as the older generation inevitably bows out, but it wouldn't make sense to send William and Kate to those events; Charles IMHO, even when he is already King, would be the best choice to attend.
Who cares about age. I have older and younger friends. Honestly The BRF will loose its top dog position and influence once The Queen is gone.

William could not have attended any of those events (not even Victoria's) given his age and/or civil status at the time.

Both Charles, Camilla and the boys was invited to Victoria's wedding but Charles hurt his leg, Camilla wouldn't go without him and William went to South Africa for the World championships in football. Apparently even Catherine was invited and it was widely reported in the tabloids at the time that William didn't want to be seen with her at a high profile event like this since "they'd have their faces on tea towels before they got back to the UK".

Last edited:

The proposal that I responded to was made by a member who suggested sending Harry and Meghan in the future instead of William and Catherine, so I am not sure how your comment contradicts that or were you trying to emphasize my point?!

The last decade the BRF sent minor royals to all kind of continental events (there are many more events than weddings - also including parties by monarchs, so age cannot be the issue) when other royal houses sent their heirs sometimes accompanied by the monarch or by other princes and princesses. The suggestion that Harry and Meghan should take over that role from Edward and Sophie would continue the same message as that the heir is too important to be bothered attending.

I hope that we'll see William and Catherine at these events in the future. Harry and Meghan can join them if invited...

Who cares about age. I have older and younger friends. Honestly The BRF will loose its top dog position and influence once The Queen is gone.
Who is going to dethrone them, pardon the pun?

Who is going to dethrone them, pardon the pun?

I believe the SRF. Esp with the new image Felipe and Letizia are projecting and their daughters are beautiful. I believe they will overtake them in the long run.

Top dog? what do you mean

Most famous and influential

I think they will still be famous.. I dont think they are particularly influential. THe queen is 90, and when she goes there will be Charles and Wm and Kate who are an attractive younger couple with kids. And Harry and Meghan who will raise the profile in America.. so no I don't realy see why you feel that the RF's fame will fade when the queen is gone.

Being a royal is not about fame. I'm sure all of them would be more than happy to loose the attention of the tabloids so they could concentrate on what they're really there for - to serve the people of their respective countries.

the new image Felipe and Letizia are projecting and their daughters are beautiful. I believe they will overtake them in the long run.

Queen Letizia's beauty will fade, but the King will remain handsome, and it is likely both the Infanta's will be beauties, but we [rightly] know nothing of their personalities..

The King appears aloof, the Queen is regarded as cold and distant [even by Spaniards]. Their throne is considered precarious, so unless either or both the Infantas prove to have dazzling 'star appeal', I think they will remain or [relatively] little interest...

Last edited:
I think they will still be famous.. I dont think they are particularly influential. THe queen is 90, and when she goes there will be Charles and Wm and Kate who are an attractive younger couple with kids. And Harry and Meghan who will raise the profile in America.. so no I don't realy see why you feel that the RF's fame will fade when the queen is gone.

There influence won’t be as strong and big as it is now. Everyone knows it’s the Queen who is keeping the monarchy together. After that all bets are off. Honestly I can never see anyone raising the BRF profile in America like Diana did. Outside the world Megan and Harry are a non factor.

Being a royal is not about fame. I'm sure all of them would be more than happy to loose the attention of the tabloids so they could concentrate on what they're really there for - to serve the people of their respective countries.
Without their fame how would they bring awareness to charities or bring tourism to the country? They are public servants and they and you need to understand that.

Queen Letizia's beauty will fade, but the King will remain handsome, and it is likely both the Infanta's will be beauties, but we [rightly] know nothing of their personalities..

The King appears aloof, the Queen is regarded as cold and distant [even by Spaniards]. Their throne is considered precarious, so unless either or both the Infantas prove to have dazzling 'star appeal', I think they will remain or [relatively] little interest...

Really The King appears aloof and The Queen cold? How so? Why is their throne consider precarious? Anything can change in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom