Future Royal Baby Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Caroline would be a really good name, it's also a nice reference to Catherine's mum.

Mariel1 said:
Concerning the war between Stephen and Matilda, the heirs of William the Conqueror.
My ancestor Fulbert the Saxon fought for Matilda, who lost, and Fulbert was offered lands in Scotland by King David I, in recompense. There were a number of "Matilda"s at that time, a very popular name both in Scotland and England. But I think both of those names evoke civil war, not success. Margaret of Scotland was a successful Queen, making vast reforms, which were carried forth by her son David I.
'Adolf' for a european prince i think is off-limits for a couple of more decades (at least)... even if it is a familyname..
if a name is pretty, why not use it? just because of one person who didnt do right things before? as if the name has all the blame...Matilda is pretty!
as for Adolf, even though i dont like the name itself, its a Bernadotte name and runs in the family. Adolf Hitler just came and screw a name that is a taboo now.

i like inovation, but im a traditional/historical names fan, even though i liked Estelle, i was so disappointed that Victoria&Daniel didnt go for tradition, i wanted Desiree (its so pretty and had a Queen before), i also liked Alice, Ulrika, Lilian...oh well, gotta move on...and even though i LOVE Johan, i cant get my high hopes on, 'cause they might surprises us yet again.

i like Georgiana too^^ i like traditional names that are forgotten in history, like Genevieve, Isolde (really really like it! Princess Isolde^^)...and then a Prince Tristan:D

at least im thankful for Mary, Letizia and Mette-Marit on choosing traditional yet beautiful names for their kids.
Maxima didnt go for a full traditional but she didnt went overboard, as well as Mathilde (i only think Elisabeth is the most traditional, but as the Queen i think its great, as long as the first-born gets a suitble name, Victoria could've give Estelle for a second child or daughter)

The name Adolf will just always have those bad associations, and I don't think it will be used - even though it's a Bernadotte family name. I can't say I'm sorry about that, everytime I hear that name, all I think about is Hitler, that son of a ... ahem.

kathia_sophia said:
i like Georgiana too^^ i like traditional names that are forgotten in history, like Genevieve, Isolde (really really like it! Princess Isolde^^)...and then a Prince Tristan:D

I'm gonna say, you may have Princess Isolde OR you may have Prince Tristan, but not both. Naming your children after a pair of lovers is creepy. :p

^yes i know, i was only joking. only Princess Isolde is enough, as its one of my fav traditional names

sorry what I said about "Matilda". It's a good name too. And "Stephen" is a great name from the Bible, if you want to go WAY back in history.

I thought Estelle was a Queen. Was she the wife of Count Bernadotte? I am not sure who she was in Swedish history but I know she was famous in Swedish history. So Estelle is not a name out of nowhere. And it avoids being used too much, as some royal names are. How could we even talk about the royals if they were all named Elizabeth?

Last edited:
as for Adolf, even though i dont like the name itself, its a Bernadotte name and runs in the family.
I wouldn't say that Adolf is that much of a Bernadotte name, there has only been three males with the name in the family and always in combination with Gustaf; Oscar, Carl and Gustaf are more common.
I thought Estelle was a Queen. Was she the wife of Count Bernadotte? I am not sure who she was in Swedish history but I know she was famous in Swedish history. So Estelle is not a name out of nowhere.
Countess Estelle Bernadotte was the wife of count Folke Bernadotte. I wouldn't say that she was famous in Sweden, not even that well-known here before the little princess was named Estelle.

Last edited:
She may have been a queen consort, but she and her husband were estranged, and she was never crowned.

There was also Caroline of Ansbach, Queen Consort to George II.

thanks for the Estelle history. doesn't sound too great. Wonder why the choice? Maybe they just liked the name.

thanks for the Estelle history. doesn't sound too great. Wonder why the choice? Maybe they just liked the name.
Even if countess Estelle wasn't that much known outside the Bernadotte family Victoria had met her, as the countess died in 1984. Victoria's cousin Christina, daughter of princess Désirée have a daughter named Estelle, born in 2000.

It was said that in honour of Estelle's husband Folke.
Countess Estelle itself was rich american married into royal family.

Victoria's cousin Christina, daughter of princess Désirée have a daughter named Estelle, born in 2000.

Wow, I didn't know that. I think that's weird, having two children of the same generation (well, almost) with the same name in a family... I would never name my child like any of my cousin's children.

Wow, I didn't know that. I think that's weird, having two children of the same generation (well, almost) with the same name in a family... I would never name my child like any of my cousin's children.

:) this happens when children are named after family members, in my family it's quite common that people have the same name as their cousin (all named after their grandfather)

Lord Ivar Mountbatten, who is Lady Louise Windsor's godfather, also has a daughter called Lady Louise Mountbatten. That must get very confusing because the name and titles are the same and the surnames are very similar (Louise Windsor's official surname is Mountbatten- Windsor). Louise Mountbatten is also a couple of years older than Louise Windsor, so they're both in the same generation too.

I don't think it's a problem if you don't see each other a lot. I mean, I don't think that Princess Estelle and Christina's daughter will see each other every other week, so I doubt it's gonna be a problem.

I'd live William and Kate to name their daughter after Diana.

Diana Elizabeth Carole Mary

For a son if like to see Harry's name somewhere

Philip Charles Henry Albert

Diana isn't really a royal name either though, is it? I may be wrong there, I can't say I've researched it. I think if it's a middle name, the fact that Carole isn't "royal" won't matter. I'm not aware that Andrew is even a royal name in the BRF, but it was the name of Philip's father.

Diana isn't really a royal name either though, is it? I may be wrong there, I can't say I've researched it. I think if it's a middle name, the fact that Carole isn't "royal" won't matter. I'm not aware that Andrew is even a royal name in the BRF, but it was the name of Philip's father.
Well Andrew was also one of the many names of Edward VIII, Andrew being one of the patron saints of the UK (George, Andrew, Patrick, David) all of whose names were given to Edward VIII .

I would imagine Caroline would be in the child's name somewhere, as most British Royals get 4 names (aside from Peter, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie, all the rest have 4. Even the distant cousins have 4.) Elizabeth will no doubt feature in one of their children's names, however I doubt Diana will.

I'd like to see Charlotte and Rose come back into the family. Charlotte Rose seems like a nice name, but the name will probably not be anything we pick. When the Wessex's named Louise, my mum said she was shocked by that choice. I also think if they weren't "Royal" and just an "ordinary" couple, Edward and Sophie would have probably just called their son Theo. Most of the British Royals choose traditional names.

I think Charles, Arthur, Philip, Michael and James will be in William and Catherine's son's names somewhere, to honour both sides of the family. (I reckon her brother James was named for a grandfather or something, hence why I have added it to the line up.)

If Madeleine has a daughter then maybe she will name her something like these:

Amelie Josephine Silvia Alice
Charlotte Victoria Silvia Ingrid
Louise Sophia Josephine Desiree
Margareta Isabella Catherine Louisa
Helena Anne Christina Victoria

I mostly got these names from the consorts of Sweden. It would be a very nice tribute.

But maybe she will suprise us like Victoria did!

Last edited:
I would imagine Caroline would be in the child's name somewhere, as most British Royals get 4 names (aside from Peter, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie, all the rest have 4. Even the distant cousins have 4.) Elizabeth will no doubt feature in one of their children's names, however I doubt Diana will.

I'd like to see Charlotte and Rose come back into the family. Charlotte Rose seems like a nice name, but the name will probably not be anything we pick. When the Wessex's named Louise, my mum said she was shocked by that choice. I also think if they weren't "Royal" and just an "ordinary" couple, Edward and Sophie would have probably just called their son Theo. Most of the British Royals choose traditional names.

I think Charles, Arthur, Philip, Michael and James will be in William and Catherine's son's names somewhere, to honour both sides of the family. (I reckon her brother James was named for a grandfather or something, hence why I have added it to the line up.)

Charlotte is Pippa (Phillipa) middle name. James isn't name after a grandfather. His grandfather on Michael's side was Peter and on Carole's was Ronald. Maybe his parents are big Bond fans :)

Lady Rose Windsor is "Rose Victoria". That is surely a nice name. I don't know if Rose is weighty enough for an empress-in-waiting, but I think it would be so refreshing to break away from the modern traditions and yet honor old ones. I can't recall who was "Rose" other than Princess Margaret Rose, and she dropped the Rose as an adult. The flower rose is a Windsor symbol, I guess, as Elizabeth the Queen Mum wore Windsor roses in her hair at her wedding.
Diana is, to me, a name with pagan connotations. You know, Diana goddess of the Hunt in ancient Greece. Pagan temples dedicated to Diana, as in Ephesus.

An anglo-saxon name would be a "toast" to that part of the family's ancient background.
How about Princess Rowena after the Lady Rowena in Walter Scott's "Ivanhoe"?
I'm still a big Margaret fan, though, to honor the Scotts queen. Maybe they should just name the kids after the saint's day they are born on, although that could get exciting if the name was excessively strange. There is a day on the Church of England calendar dedicated to Clive Staples Lewis, or C. S. Lewis, the poet and philosopher who has had so much effect on the modern psyche. Prince Clive would be...odd?

Mariel1 said:
Lady Rose Windsor is "Rose Victoria". That is surely a nice name. I don't know if Rose is weighty enough for an empress-in-waiting, but I think it would be so refreshing to break away from the modern traditions and yet honor old ones. I can't recall who was "Rose" other than Princess Margaret Rose, and she dropped the Rose as an adult. The flower rose is a Windsor symbol, I guess, as Elizabeth the Queen Mum wore Windsor roses in her hair at her wedding.
Diana is, to me, a name with pagan connotations. You know, Diana goddess of the Hunt in ancient Greece. Pagan temples dedicated to Diana, as in Ephesus.

An anglo-saxon name would be a "toast" to that part of the family's ancient background.
How about Princess Rowena after the Lady Rowena in Walter Scott's "Ivanhoe"?
I'm still a big Margaret fan, though, to honor the Scotts queen. Maybe they should just name the kids after the saint's day they are born on, although that could get exciting if the name was excessively strange. There is a day on the Church of England calendar dedicated to Clive Staples Lewis, or C. S. Lewis, the poet and philosopher who has had so much effect on the modern psyche. Prince Clive would be...odd?

George VI and Elizabeth actually wanted to name their second daughter Anne Margaret; but George V didn't like the name Anne. So when Princess Elizabeth's daughter came along, guess what name she got!

Here are more guesses for Guillaume and Stephanie if they have a girl:

Charlotte Marie Alix Elisabeth

Charlotte after Guillaume's grandmother and great-grandmother. And Elisabeth after Guillaume's great great-grandmother, Queen Elisabeth of Belgium.

Madeleine Marie Teresa Josephine

Madeleine after Stephanie's grandmother.

For Guillaume and Stephanie:

Princess Marie Alix Teresa Wilhelmina Charlotte
Princess Charlotte Maria Beatrix Louise Isabelle
Princess Antonia Rosalie Marie Adelaide Gabrielle

Prince Jean Marie Philippe Guillaume Henri
Prince Antoine Marie Felix Léopold Julien
Prince Benoît Jaques Marie Christian Gustave

I correct my guesses for Guillaume and Stephanie:

For their daughters I could imagine following names:

Princess Alix Josephine Charlotte Marie Wilhelmine of Luxemburg
Princess Astrid Marie Teresa Wilhelmine Madeleine of Luxemburg
Princess Marie Rosalie Adelaide Wilhelmine Juliane of Luxemburg
Princess Isabella Zita Emma Theresia Marie of Luxemburg
Princess Josephine Marie Wilhelmine Irene Christine of Luxemburg
Princess Eleonora Wilhelmine Marie Mathilde Stephanie of Luxemburg

For their sons I find the following names possible:

Prince Philippe Henri Guillaume Marie Jean of Luxemburg
Prince Benoit Jóse Marie Guillaume Paul of Luxemburg
Prince Réne Gustave Felix Guillaume Marie of Luxemburg
Prince Jean Xavier Guillaume Marie Jaques of Luxemburg
Prince Laurence Marie Gustave Augustin Guillaume of Luxemburg
Prince Emmanuel Guillaume Christophe Marie Harold of Luxemburg

For the children of Madeleine and Chris:

For daughters

Isabella Eva Silvia Victoria O'Neill
Lilian Sibylla Carmelita Tatjana O'Neill
Carla Alice Maria Annalisa O'Neill

For sons

Carl Paul Antonio Daniel O'Neill
Antonio Hubertus Gustaf Henry O'Neill
Bertil Joseph Philipp Oscar O'Neill

For Andrea and Tatjana

For little girls

Grace Caroline Tatjana Casiraghi
Julia Vera Charlotte Casiraghi
Marguerite Edyala Pauline Casiraghi

For little boys

Stefano Rainier Andrea Casiraghi
Louis Julio Florestan Casiraghi
Antoine Pierre Alejandro Casiraghi

Last edited:
My guesses for William & Catherine:

Girl:

Elizabeth Sophie Catherine Diana (my favourite)
Victoria Alice Carole Philippa
Charlotte Rose Mary Louise

Boy:

Philip William Charles Michel (my favourite)
Arthur James John Peter
Edward George Henry Albert

If Madeleine has a daughter then maybe she will name her something like these:

Amelie Josephine Silvia Alice
Charlotte Victoria Silvia Ingrid
Louise Sophia Josephine Desiree
Margareta Isabella Catherine Louisa
Helena Anne Christina Victoria
I doubt that Madeleine will chose the name Sophia for a daughter, nor do I think Margareta will be among the names, it's not a very popular name among parents today. I think Madeleine will chose a name that's popular in Sweden today, for example Ingrid, Astrid, Sigrid, or Emma, Ebba, Hedvig, Louise would probably be a given (after her friend Lussan), Lilian is also a possible choice. Here's a list over popular children's names in Sweden 2011: http://svenskanamn.alltforforaldrar.se/namntoppen/

I think Madeleine will chose a name that's popular in Sweden today, for example Ingrid, Astrid, Sigrid, or Emma, Ebba, Hedvig, Louise would probably be a given (after her friend Lussan), Lilian is also a possible choice. Here's a list over popular children's names in Sweden 2011: http://svenskanamn.alltforforaldrar.se/namntoppen/

I do like the names Emma and Ingrid. Here's my suggestion:

Emma Ingrid Madeline Amelie Louise

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom