HM Queen Elizabeth II​ - Rest In Peace
The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-05-2020, 06:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Any talk of non-traditional names always reminds me of Phoebe from Friends briefly renaming herself Princess Consuella Banana-HAmmock!
I think that royal families could be a LITLE more adventurous but not go that far...

Old 05-05-2020, 06:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think that royal families could be a LITLE more adventurous but not go that far...
Perhaps a new generation of royals, finding freedom, forging a new way forward.......

Old 05-06-2020, 01:16 AM
Gentry

Quote:
I doubt if there will be more children except maybe for Harry and Meghan. And I am sure they wont go for anything traditional....
In that case, it wouldn't be out of the question if they'd have a daughter and name her Britney Jean.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I'd settle for them going a bit further back in the family tree and using names we haven't seen in a long time. Instead of repeating same names over and over. I am all for tradition, and keeping the royal names, but there seems so many names so choose from and so few selected.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I'd settle for them going a bit further back in the family tree and using names we haven't seen in a long time. Instead of repeating same names over and over. I am all for tradition, and keeping the royal names, but there seems so many names so choose from and so few selected.
I agree. I think there's room for a mix of tradtional and a bit more adventuruos.. Not something like Ethelred of course... I was surprised by Will and Kate opting for Louis.... I am not keen on the name but it was a bit of "movement"....
Old 06-01-2020, 08:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I agree. I think there's room for a mix of tradtional and a bit more adventuruos.. Not something like Ethelred of course... I was surprised by Will and Kate opting for Louis.... I am not keen on the name but it was a bit of "movement"....
I didn't care for it either, but it is popular among aristocratic circles.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I didn't care for it either, but it is popular among aristocratic circles.
not just upper class, I've seen a few little Louis-es appearing in the past 10 years or so, it seems to have become quite a popular name but its unusual for a British royal for obvious reasons.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

I was absolutely thrilled when they (W&C) named their youngest son Louis.

I was afraid it would be Arthur....a name I cannot stand.

I was also over the moon with the name Stephanie and Gui chose for their new son. It's very traditional and Royal, if a bit unexpected. I hope that if they have another child it's a girl and I hope they call her Marie-Alix.

"If your dreams don't scare you, they are not big enough" Sir Sidney Poitier
1927-2022
Old 06-01-2020, 09:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
not just upper class, I've seen a few little Louis-es appearing in the past 10 years or so, it seems to have become quite a popular name but its unusual for a British royal for obvious reasons.
What are the obvious reasons? Louis, Earl Mountbatten was a member of the British royal family by birth, and I understand that the family remembers him fondly.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Its the name of 18 French kings...… (and Im not sure all the RF remember him fondly)
Old 06-01-2020, 10:37 AM
Royal Highness

Joan/Joanna, Matilda, Cecily and Caroline are all respectable lovely names with loads of Respectable Royal History in Multiple Monarchies that seem to have totally fallen of the radar. There are more than enough Eleanore variations to suffice for a long while :)
Old 01-31-2022, 05:19 PM
Majesty

For future British royal princes, names could be taken from the Scottish realm: Alexander, David, and Robert.
Old 02-01-2022, 12:33 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
For future British royal princes, names could be taken from the Scottish realm: Alexander, David, and Robert.

Probably depends if will Scotland become independent again or not on near future.

And Edward VIII's original first name was David so he might had adopt regnal name David I but this seems bit unlikely.

And there is quiet good chances that on future someone royal has name Alexander. I am bit amazed that there hasn't been many fi any Alexander on BRF.
Old 02-01-2022, 01:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Edward VIII's first name was Edward not David. David was the last of his seven names:
Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David

There is an Alexander in the BRF now - the son of the Duke of Gloucester who will, in time, inherit the Gloucester title.

Alexander is the second name of Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester

The only names that have multiple users currently are George - Prince George and the Earl of St Andrews, Edward - Earl of Wessex and Duke of Kent, Charles - Prince of Wales and Viscount Linley, James - Viscount Severn and James Ogilvy