Future Royal Baby Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Alexandra's son was actually Prince Alexander John. Why do the British Royals not consider Alexander unlucky?

John has a long history of being an unfortunate name in the BRF, and is most considered unlucky because of Prince John, son of George VI and Mary (the most recent holder).

Alexander has a much more varied history and is generally considered okay because while some holders did not fair well (like Alexander John), others have - it helps that the feminine forms were in Queen Victoria and Queen Alexandra’s names. It is also the name of three Scottish Kings, who I don’t believe are remembered negatively - in contrast to John of England who is remembered very negatively and John Balliol (of Scotland), who likewise... not remembered very fondly.

There were several relatives, monarchs bearing the name Alexander when Alexandra and Bertie's son was born, notably the father in law of Alexandra's sister Dagmar/Marie of Russia, and Marie's husband was also an Alexander, so it probably wouldn't have been considered very diplomatic to reject the name, whereas 'John' was fairly generic.

I do think it was the death of young John, King George V's son, that put the final seal on it being considered unlucky, though. And after all, the sole John who was an English monarch wasn't exactly a popular fellow!

I thnk that Alexandra's baby was called Alexander after her, and John because it was an old English name - he was intended to be known as John. But then the poor liltte thing died at birth. So that made the name which had not been used for ages and ages, seem unlucky. Then George V's little son was ill and died young. so I think that the RF just don't like the name..

It would be nice if a male heir, a future King of Sweden, was given the name of Johan (John). There has not been a King Johan of Sweden since Johan III was King from 1568 to 1592.

It would be nice if a male heir, a future King of Sweden, was given the name of Johan (John). There has not been a King Johan of Sweden since Johan III was King from 1568 to 1592.

It would be intresting if Estelle will give rher firstborn child name which was used only rarely or not very long time.

And it would be nice to see king Magnus on throne of modern Norway. That names hasn't been used since Middle Ages when Norway was independent kingdom.

It would be nice if a male heir, a future King of Spain, was given the name of Sancho. There has not been a Sancho since Sancho VII was King of Navarre from 1194 until 1234 and Sancho IV was King of Castile from 1248 until 1295.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

If Male: Arthur Philip Michael
If Female: Frances Alexandra Carole

For the male name, it's basically one of Charles' given names, Prince Philip's name of course and the name of the Duchess' father; For the female name, it's Diana's second given name, the Queen's second given name and the name of the Duchess' mother.

Duke and Duchess of Sussex

If Male: Albert Harrison
If Female: Rachel Frances

For the male name, it's one of Harry's given names + Harrison, which is also Archie's second given name. It might be a tradition in Meghan and Harry's family to give "Harrison" as a second name to their sons; For the female name, it's Meghan's first given name + Diana's second given name.

Zara & Mike Tindall

If Male: Philip George
If Female: Alice Margaret

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

If Male: Arthur Philip Michael
If Female: Frances Alexandra Carole

For the male name, it's basically one of Charles' given names, Prince Philip's name of course and the name of the Duchess' father; For the female name, it's Diana's second given name, the Queen's second given name and the name of the Duchess' mother.

Duke and Duchess of Sussex

If Male: Albert Harrison
If Female: Rachel Frances

For the male name, it's one of Harry's given names + Harrison, which is also Archie's second given name. It might be a tradition in Meghan and Harry's family to give "Harrison" as a second name to their sons; For the female name, it's Meghan's first given name + Diana's second given name.

Zara & Mike Tindall

If Male: Philip George
If Female: Alice Margaret

I doubt if there will be more children except maybe for Harry and Meghan. And I am sure they wont go for anything traditional....

I doubt if there will be more children except maybe for Harry and Meghan. And I am sure they wont go for anything traditional....

Any talk of non-traditional names always reminds me of Phoebe from Friends briefly renaming herself Princess Consuella Banana-HAmmock!

Any talk of non-traditional names always reminds me of Phoebe from Friends briefly renaming herself Princess Consuella Banana-HAmmock!

I think that royal families could be a LITLE more adventurous but not go that far...

I think that royal families could be a LITLE more adventurous but not go that far...

Perhaps a new generation of royals, finding freedom, forging a new way forward.......

Last edited:

In that case, it wouldn't be out of the question if they'd have a daughter and name her Britney Jean.

I'd settle for them going a bit further back in the family tree and using names we haven't seen in a long time. Instead of repeating same names over and over. I am all for tradition, and keeping the royal names, but there seems so many names so choose from and so few selected.

I'd settle for them going a bit further back in the family tree and using names we haven't seen in a long time. Instead of repeating same names over and over. I am all for tradition, and keeping the royal names, but there seems so many names so choose from and so few selected.

I agree. I think there's room for a mix of tradtional and a bit more adventuruos.. Not something like Ethelred of course... I was surprised by Will and Kate opting for Louis.... I am not keen on the name but it was a bit of "movement"....

I agree. I think there's room for a mix of tradtional and a bit more adventuruos.. Not something like Ethelred of course... I was surprised by Will and Kate opting for Louis.... I am not keen on the name but it was a bit of "movement"....

I didn't care for it either, but it is popular among aristocratic circles.

I didn't care for it either, but it is popular among aristocratic circles.

not just upper class, I've seen a few little Louis-es appearing in the past 10 years or so, it seems to have become quite a popular name but its unusual for a British royal for obvious reasons.

I was absolutely thrilled when they (W&C) named their youngest son Louis.

I was afraid it would be Arthur....a name I cannot stand.

I was also over the moon with the name Stephanie and Gui chose for their new son. It's very traditional and Royal, if a bit unexpected. I hope that if they have another child it's a girl and I hope they call her Marie-Alix.

Last edited:
not just upper class, I've seen a few little Louis-es appearing in the past 10 years or so, it seems to have become quite a popular name but its unusual for a British royal for obvious reasons.

What are the obvious reasons? Louis, Earl Mountbatten was a member of the British royal family by birth, and I understand that the family remembers him fondly.

Its the name of 18 French kings...… (and Im not sure all the RF remember him fondly)

Joan/Joanna, Matilda, Cecily and Caroline are all respectable lovely names with loads of Respectable Royal History in Multiple Monarchies that seem to have totally fallen of the radar. There are more than enough Eleanore variations to suffice for a long while :)

For future British royal princes, names could be taken from the Scottish realm: Alexander, David, and Robert.

For future British royal princes, names could be taken from the Scottish realm: Alexander, David, and Robert.

Probably depends if will Scotland become independent again or not on near future.

And Edward VIII's original first name was David so he might had adopt regnal name David I but this seems bit unlikely.

And there is quiet good chances that on future someone royal has name Alexander. I am bit amazed that there hasn't been many fi any Alexander on BRF.

Edward VIII's first name was Edward not David. David was the last of his seven names:
Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David

There is an Alexander in the BRF now - the son of the Duke of Gloucester who will, in time, inherit the Gloucester title.

Alexander is the second name of Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester

The only names that have multiple users currently are George - Prince George and the Earl of St Andrews, Edward - Earl of Wessex and Duke of Kent, Charles - Prince of Wales and Viscount Linley, James - Viscount Severn and James Ogilvy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom