Family Resemblances

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First born

First born statistically often look like their fathers. There is some sort of biological reason for that. Genetics and who we look like is a gamble. So I found it unusual when William looks like Diana in coloring and his jaws are pudgy like her side of the family. If I saw Charles and William, and I didn't know them, I would not know they were related. Somebody please take my title as eyeballologist away from me. I am a simple person who took some science classes a million years ago. I suppose there is a spiritual aspect to who we look like. Some sort of bellows from mysterious places. As for Diana she was a looker. Tall blond dipped in honey. For me the true royal family are very ugly somehow. And Phillip, Diana and Catherine and Meghan have spruced things up a bit.

I think a very distinct feature is the Mountbatten nose. Prince Philip's nose is seen thru out his family. I belive William has his nose as well as Harry and certainly P Charles.

thin nose

I agree a distinguishing characteristic between Phillip, Charles and his sons is that weird skinny nose. Baby George has a different nose. I always thought Dianna had a very pretty nose. Not too small and suited her overall play of features.

First born statistically often look like their fathers. There is some sort of biological reason for that. Genetics and who we look like is a gamble. So I found it unusual when William looks like Diana in coloring and his jaws are pudgy like her side of the family. If I saw Charles and William, and I didn't know them, I would not know they were related. Somebody please take my title as eyeballologist away from me. I am a simple person who took some science classes a million years ago. I suppose there is a spiritual aspect to who we look like. Some sort of bellows from mysterious places. As for Diana she was a looker. Tall blond dipped in honey. For me the true royal family are very ugly somehow. And Phillip, Diana and Catherine and Meghan have spruced things up a bit.

If you saw Philip and Charles together, you might be able to tell they were related, but considering Philip was legendarily good-looking and Charles just about the opposite, I don't think your theory holds much water.

Phenotype

I think the first born looking like their father is some sort of phenotype stuff I remember barely from my Biology 101 class. Not my theory. My theories are very unscientific. So not my theory just something I remember from Biology 101 a million years ago. And doesn't that make sense. That a first born would often look like the father. And I think Charles looks like Phillip. And I think William looks more like Diana. And the basic English royal is not extremely beautiful in my opinion. Phillip, Diana, Catherine and Meghan will likely improve those standard English royal models.

Last edited:
If you saw Philip and Charles together, you might be able to tell they were related, but considering Philip was legendarily good-looking and Charles just about the opposite, I don't think your theory holds much water.

I agree. For all that I admire Charles, and I do, I don't find him to be terribly attractive. I also don't find any of his siblings to be terribly attractive. I'm not quite sure what happened to those legendary "Greek Adonis" genes that we've heard so much about throughout the years but I don't believe that the children of HM and the last DoE were beneficiaries of them. I do believe that all of their children are very much like the late DoE in a lot of ways, their looks just simply aren't one of them. And honestly, I don't really see much of him in the grandchildren's looks, either. A bit in the nose for some of them and certainly some resemblance when Harry has a beard but definitely not the type of inherited resemblance we see in Queen Mary, HM, the Countess of Harewood, Anne, and Zara.

I think the first born looking like their father is some sort of phenotype stuff I remember barely from my Biology 101 class. Not my theory. My theories are very unscientific. So not my theory just something I remember from Biology 101 a million years ago. And doesn't that make sense. That a first born would often look like the father. And I think Charles looks like Phillip. And I think William looks more like Diana. And the basic English royal is not extremely beautiful in my opinion. Phillip, Diana, Catherine and Meghan will likely improve those standard English royal models.

Charles doesn't look remotley like Philip. Philip was blond and very handsome. Charles dark haired and not at all good looking...

I agree. For all that I admire Charles, and I do, I don't find him to be terribly attractive. I also don't find any of his siblings to be terribly attractive. I'm not quite sure what happened to those legendary "Greek Adonis" genes that we've heard so much about throughout the years but I don't believe that the children of HM and the last DoE were beneficiaries of them. I do believe that all of their children are very much like the late DoE in a lot of ways, their looks just simply aren't one of them. And honestly, I don't really see much of him in the grandchildren's looks, either. A bit in the nose for some of them and certainly some resemblance when Harry has a beard but definitely not the type of inherited resemblance we see in Queen Mary, HM, the Countess of Harewood, Anne, and Zara.

Anne was quite lovely when she was young and used to look exactly like Zara. I'm not sure Philip didn't have himself cloned in Anne's case, though. :) She just sincerely doesn't care much about her appearance, as long as she's presentable, and hasn't for decades. That's her right.

Andrew was widely seen as the good-looking one when he was younger. Again, he isn't now and I doubt he could make it come back.

Edward was cute when he was a little kid. And Louise is his clone, and she seems to be maturing nicely.

Charles... has just always been Charles, and he has the world's worst case of rosacea on top of it. (But at least he has a very nice voice, which I don't think he inherited from anyone.) But we see posts back that he looks exactly like his great-grandma Victoria, who was a fascinating woman, even if not a beauty.

Here's one: who did Princess Margaret look like? Not especially like the QM and no one I can think of.

Last edited:
Anne was quite lovely when she was young and used to look exactly like Zara. I'm not sure Philip didn't have himself cloned in Anne's case, though. :) She just sincerely doesn't care much about her appearance, as long as she's presentable, and hasn't for decades. That's her right.

Andrew was widely seen as the good-looking one when he was younger. Again, he isn't now and I doubt he could make it come back.

Edward was cute when he was a little kid. And Louise is his clone, and she seems to be maturing nicely.

Charles... has just always been Charles, and he has the world's worst case of rosacea on top of it. (But at least he has a very nice voice, which I don't think he inherited from anyone.) But we see posts back that he looks exactly like his great-grandma Victoria, who was a fascinating woman, even if not a beauty.

Here's one: who did Princess Margaret look like? Not especially like the QM and no one I can think of.
Charles and Q Vic?? I can't see it. She was small and very fat, and Charles is while not very tall, lean...

Charles and Q Vic?? I can't see it. She was small and very fat, and Charles is while not very tall, lean...

Queen Victoria is his great-great-great grandmother. Her granddaughter Victoria Milford Haven was Philip's maternal grandmother.

If you want a Queen Victoria resemblance there's the famous one with Pss Beatrice.

William has blue eyes and Catherine has brown eyes.

I always thought she has green eyes.

IMHO:

William and Edward (and even Peter Phillips) look alike.

Charlotte looks like a young Diana.

Eugenie looks like a young Queen Mum.

Beatrice looks like Victoria.

Louise looks like a young Anne.

Harry looks like Charles.

And to all those who think Charles was not very good-looking, i thought he looked quite a bit like Bryan Ferry in his (Charles's) thirties.

Catherine definitely has green or hazel eyes. When she wears green it's more obvious.
And alot of green eyes have a brown center and photograph brown but are green in person.

And I'm biased, but I'm pretty sure the Earl of Wessex has sectoral heterochromia (part of one eye is half blue, half brown). I'm biased because I have sectoral heterochromia in both of my eyes (green/reddish-brown).

Eugenie looks like the Queen Mum, but she really looks just like Andrew when he was younger. https://ready4royalty.tumblr.com/post/34575580592/theroyalvincenza-young-prince-andrew

I've always thought that Harry looks like his Uncle the Earl of Spencer, mixed with Prince Phillip.

I've always wondered if Diana had lived, would William's resemblance to her be more obvious now, as she aged? She barely aged in her thirties, so it's as though her looks froze in her 20's. He looked so much like when she was younger.

Phillip and Elizabeth

Of their 4 children none dramatically look like Phillip. Facially Charles does the most. And there are elements here and there. Ann but being a woman it is harder to see. And I find it unusual that the Queen had Charles and Anne and then basically waited many years and had Andrew and Edward. It was almost as if she had 2 families in a way. Although of course they consider themselves a family. Just not your classic development of a family. I have a lot of compassion for Charles. I think he is an interesting person.

Oh I had another comment about that DNA testing we all can do now. I was told that our old ideas of how we are made up are incorrect. For instance if you have a Polish mother and a French father and they have 4 children. The children are not automatic half Polish and half French. The will have various percentage. So one child could be 80% French and 20% Polish and all sorts of variations. This is found now when siblings from the same parents all have DNA testing and fall into ranges of percentages.

So maybe the Children percentage wise take after Elizabeth more overall. Who knows. It would be great if we could see. It is not half this half that, like we all thought until DNA testing kits became so common.

A few years ago now one of our magazines put a photo of an 18 year old Harry beside a photo of Queen Mary around the same age and the resemblance was uncanny.

I never thought Catherine and Charlotte have brown eyes. They look hazel to me, not brown. But George and Louis do have brown eyes.

It is very interesting that George will be the first brown-eyed monarch in a long time. And it is very interesting that most future monarchs are blond but half of them have brown eyes (Amalia, Estelle, George come to mind, blond but with brown eyes). Curiously, only Jacques, Leonor, Christian and Elisabeth have blue eyes. Amalia, Estelle, Ingrid Alexandra, George and Charles have brown eyes.

I never thought Catherine and Charlotte have brown eyes. They look hazel to me, not brown. But George and Louis do have brown eyes.
In her first birthday pictures Charlotte had bright blue eyes. I haven't seen any close up pictures of her eyes since then. When did they change?

Charlene

I thought of something funny and a bit Freudian. Charlene does look a bit like Grace Kelly no relation of course. And for all Grace pretty looks the women seem to take after their father more and Albert looks more like Grace. I think their twins are adorable. How perfect a set of boy girl twins to raise. Really amazing.

As for the conversation of eye color. brown/green/hazel eyes are under the brown eye dominant gene. The colors brown/green/hazel fall under the the same dominant umbrella. Blue eyes are recessive and it is likely Catherine
brown eye dominant will chose the eye colors of all the children. I was trying to think if Catherine's mother had blue eyes she could carry the recessive blue eye gene and then it is possible for the recessive to show. She might not as I couldn't tell clearly from the photos Catherine's mother's eye color. And looking at the photos made me feel a bit insane. Dad is Brown. If both are brown/hazel/green the chances of William and Catherine having a blue eyed child are low as it would have to come from past generations of blue eye recessive from Catherine and that is less likely. All William and Catherine's children will carry the recessive blue eye trait from William. They are a handsome family. Like models really.

I believe King Charles II was the last English/British monarch to have brown eyes. He was said to resemble the de Medici line in his mother’s family.

Meghan and Harry

I am excited about Meghan having a girl. She is very willowy and lithe. Catherine and Meghan are very near the same age. I read that Diana loved the name Allegra doesn't Archie and Allegra sound so cute together. Anyway, it is anyone's guess what they will name the baby. I like to think that there is a spiritual aspect to how we look. Maybe she will look exactly like Diana. For whomever we resemble we hold spirits from people of the past also. That is my theory nothing I learned in Biology 101. I look forward to see who Meghan and Harry's new baby looks like. Archie to me looks like Harry and has brown eyes. And although he has red hair it could darken as he ages. And turn brown.

I will look at Charles the II the last English brown eyed King. I have always been interested in the Medici history. I love going to places in Italy and see the Medici orange royal crest. We even have made it a game in our family. We call it the Medici oranges game. If you spot the Medici oranges crest you get a treat. So little George will be a brown eyed King. Sounds good.

Doubt if she will look "exactly like DIana"...

A few years ago now one of our magazines put a photo of an 18 year old Harry beside a photo of Queen Mary around the same age and the resemblance was uncanny.

Yes I remember that photo and also I think that there's a resemblance between the very young Prince of Wales and the very young late King Michael of Romania too.

In her first birthday pictures Charlotte had bright blue eyes. I haven't seen any close up pictures of her eyes since then. When did they change?
Searched for pictures and found these:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7d/56/08/7d5608b37e01095db34123566e98c6a9.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0f/cc/9a/0fcc9af7cde20cfb13c234fbf2c82b39.jpg
I think Charlotte's eyes look grey-ish blue, or whatever it is called. Catherine are a mix of green and hazel. William has blue eyes, and George and Louis have brown eyes.

Charlotte certainly looks like her father but I rarely, if ever, this George looks very much like him. However, I stumbled across this photo of William and Anne with the umbrella earlier and was so struck by how much he and George look identical.

I think Charlotte's smile is William, after seeing some childhood photos comparison. However the shape of her eyes is totally "her" (not after any family member). Not everyone needs to look exactly after a certain parent or family member.

Look at Sofia. I always thought that Leonor is a mix of her parents (thick hair/blue eyes/nose after her father and smile/lips/petite like her mother). However, Sofia is totally different from her sister and does not resemble her parents that much (she looked like her aunt Infanta Cristina when she was younger, but not so much right now)

Sofia and Leonor do resemble each other, though. They look like two distinct people, but you can visibly tell they're siblings, to the point where it's a good thing they have separate eye colors to make them more easily distinguishable.

Sofia probably takes more after the Ortiz side with her father's height.

Sofia and Leonor do resemble each other, though. They look like two distinct people, but you can visibly tell they're siblings, to the point where it's a good thing they have separate eye colors to make them more easily distinguishable.

Sofia probably takes more after the Ortiz side with her father's height.
I find them very different from each other. Most people have problems distinguishing them because they have almost the same height and have blonde hair (which most of the times have the same cut and same hairstyle). But their facial features are so different from one another, perhaps, the only similar trait is their full lips, but that's all (even their body structure is different).

I have read that Queen Mary had (blue) eyes that were set close together. Quite distinctive. That came down the line to Charles, who passed the feature on to Harry.

I find them very different from each other. Most people have problems distinguishing them because they have almost the same height and have blonde hair (which most of the times have the same cut and same hairstyle). But their facial features are so different from one another, perhaps, the only similar trait is their full lips, but that's all (even their body structure is different).

I agree with you that it is very easy to distinguish them as they have completely different faces. People should not be fooled by their height (as it Sofía passed Leonor; so, maybe that confuses people? That the younger sibling is taller than the older one)

People were talking about Prince Charles earlier. I saw a photo of him today and I thought resembled The Queen Uncle The Duke Windsor a bit.

In some younger photos he kind of looks like his great-great-grandfather Edward VII when he (Edward VII) was younger.

As for the conversation of eye color. brown/green/hazel eyes are under the brown eye dominant gene. The colors brown/green/hazel fall under the the same dominant umbrella. Blue eyes are recessive and it is likely Catherine
brown eye dominant will chose the eye colors of all the children. I was trying to think if Catherine's mother had blue eyes she could carry the recessive blue eye gene and then it is possible for the recessive to show. She might not as I couldn't tell clearly from the photos Catherine's mother's eye color. And looking at the photos made me feel a bit insane. Dad is Brown. If both are brown/hazel/green the chances of William and Catherine having a blue eyed child are low as it would have to come from past generations of blue eye recessive from Catherine and that is less likely. All William and Catherine's children will carry the recessive blue eye trait from William. They are a handsome family. Like models really.
My own family is a bit interesting. My husband's eyes are hazel, his mother's are blue and his dad's were hazel. My eyes are brown; both my parents had brown eyes, and three of my four grandparents had brown eyes. My son has brown eyes but my daughter's eyes are a light blue-gray-green. Genetics can be strange...

Back
Top Bottom