The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-02-2021, 02:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelarn View Post
which by the way, of course I adore my princess and my infanta, that is why I am a monarchist and I am in a royalty forum.
If you are so concerned about others putting words in your mouth, perhaps you will be so kind as to not put them in mine. I never said "worship". I actually said everyone here feels the same way you do. Which means your feelings are nothing special. It's a discussion forum, not a presentation forum; not a posting of sacrosanct information forum.

If you want to truly be informative, it helps to source your claims with something, like the rules state. I'm sure there's a lot about the SRF to be translated.

Others are also more inclined to believe you if you have a more pleasant attitude with regards to discussion. If the language barrier makes it an issue, maybe speak to one of the Spanish-speaking mods or members. I'm done as well (and I won't even go into an incident I vividly remember from last fall); have a nice day.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:50 PM
Majesty

actually NOT everyone "adores" or worships or feels a deep emotion about royals.... on this forum

Old 05-02-2021, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was always sure that Leonor spoke Catalan and English fluently, with some knowledge of Mandarin Chinese (there were reports years ago, but it seems it was Arabic instead?). I did not know she was learning Euskara right now (the Basque language), but since it is one of the languages of Spain, it is expected that she learns it (I thought she would learn it later, I don't know why though...).

Euskara is a very unique language. Unlike Germanic and Romance languages, Euskara is a language isolate, which means it is a language that is unrelated to any others. There are only a few alive language isolates in the world, as most are extinct. Learning Euskara will be very important not only for Spain and the Basque people but for the sake of the language continuity.

--

As for the other heirs. Amalia, Alexia and Ariene speak Dutch, Spanish and English (I'm sure their English will get better when they study abroad). Maybe they will learn German too?

Christian and his siblings speak Danish and English. Not sure about French or German, but does Frederik speak Greenlandic? If Christian learned Greenlandic that would be awesome. Also, what language is spoken in the Faroe Islands?

It would be great if George, Charlotte and Louis learn Spanish. I know English-speaking people don't feel the need to learn a second language, but I always thought and I still believe that learning a language brings many cognitive benefits, and should be encouraged.

Ingrid Alexandra and Estelle speak their respective languages and English, but they will in due course understand Swedish, Norwegian and Danish (I think Ingrid Alexandra already understands Swedish and Danish).

Elisabeth and her siblings obviously speak Dutch, French and English. I'm sure she understands German too, and I've seen her speak a few words in German, but I'm not sure about her fluency.

The Japanese royals know Japanese obviously and English, and some members know sign-language. I'm not sure if they speak another language.

The children of King Jigme Khesar and Queen Jetsun Pema will speak Dzongkha and English, and maybe Hindi later? Queen Jetsun Pema studied in India, and Bhutan has close ties with India. So it wouldn't surprise me if the little princes began to learn Hindi.

Jacques and Gabriella speak both English and French. And I somehow think they will only learn those two, or add one more, Africaner, who knows.

Charles of Luxembourg will learn the three languages of Luxembourg, French, German and Luxembourish. And he will learn English later on.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
I was always sure that Leonor spoke Catalan and English fluently, with some knowledge of Mandarin Chinese (there were reports years ago, but it seems it was Arabic instead?). I did not know she was learning Euskara right now (the Basque language), but since it is one of the languages of Spain, it is expected that she learns it (I thought she would learn it later, I don't know why though...).

Euskara is a very unique language. Unlike Germanic and Romance languages, Euskara is a language isolate, which means it is a language that is unrelated to any others. There are only a few alive language isolates in the world, as most are extinct. Learning Euskara will be very important not only for Spain and the Basque people but for the sake of the language continuity.

--

As for the other heirs. Amalia, Alexia and Ariene speak Dutch, Spanish and English (I'm sure their English will get better when they study abroad). Maybe they will learn German too?

Christian and his siblings speak Danish and English. Not sure about French or German, but does Frederik speak Greenlandic? If Christian learned Greenlandic that would be awesome. Also, what language is spoken in the Faroe Islands?

It would be great if George, Charlotte and Louis learn Spanish. I know English-speaking people don't feel the need to learn a second language, but I always thought and I still believe that learning a language brings many cognitive benefits, and should be encouraged.

Ingrid Alexandra and Estelle speak their respective languages and English, but they will in due course understand Swedish, Norwegian and Danish (I think Ingrid Alexandra already understands Swedish and Danish).

Elisabeth and her siblings obviously speak Dutch, French and English. I'm sure she understands German too, and I've seen her speak a few words in German, but I'm not sure about her fluency.

The Japanese royals know Japanese obviously and English, and some members know sign-language. I'm not sure if they speak another language.

The children of King Jigme Khesar and Queen Jetsun Pema will speak Dzongkha and English, and maybe Hindi later? Queen Jetsun Pema studied in India, and Bhutan has close ties with India. So it wouldn't surprise me if the little princes began to learn Hindi.

Jacques and Gabriella speak both English and French. And I somehow think they will only learn those two, or add one more, Africaner, who knows.

Charles of Luxembourg will learn the three languages of Luxembourg, French, German and Luxembourish. And he will learn English later on.
Leonor could have an unusual talent for learning languages. If so, that will come in very handy later on.

AFAIK Frederik doesn't speak Greenlandic. Perhaps except for a few phrases, but I'm sure he understands some Greenlandic. West Greenlandic most likely. Greenland has two distinct dialects, east and west. But as their only live 27 people, 89 dogs and a budgie on the east coast, west Greenlandic is dominant.

They speak Faerose on the Faeroe Islands.
It is as close to the old Nordic language that was spoken in Scandinavia 1.000 years ago as we can come today. Of course the language has evolved but not nearly to the same extent as Swedish, Norwegian and Danish that are now far from how old Nordic sounded.
Icelandic, that is closely related to Faeroese, has also evolved from old Nordic, and they have a policy about avoiding using "foreign" words and expressions. Instead they put together Icelandic words for say server or mobile phone.
Finnish BTW is related to Hungarian and has little in common with the Germanic languages spoken in the rest of Scandinavia.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Japanese Empress Masako is a polyglot, fluent in at least 5 languages according to information released at the time of her engagement and wedding.

She had been preparing for a career in the diplomatic corps before she met her husband.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 05-02-2021, 08:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:

--

Thank you very much for the complete information
I forgot about Masako, who had a successful diplomatic training before becoming a princess; According to her bibliography, she studied at Harvard, Oxford and Cambrigde (in different fields and levels of training), and had a stay in France, to perfect the French language at the University of Grenoble. So she, she at least she speaks French, English and her native language

Regarding the learning of "Chinese language " by Princess Leonor, it was something that a yellow magazine said many years ago, because that language is taught in her school, but Spanish Royal House has never commented on learning Chinese by Spanish princesses., which would not help her much either. her, except on a trip to China, I think.
Zarzuela comments on very few things, but whenever she communicates something to us, it is because it is true.

They said that both, Leonor and Sofia, learn Arabic from a very young age, but I cannot comment on the level because I do not know it. And as I said earlier in another comment, they are both, Leonor and Sofía, who learn the same languages. There is no difference in the formation of the two sisters in terms of studies and languages.

Your comment on Basque is accurate, and we don't know how fluent both sisters are until we hear them speak. It is a very old language, very different from European languages. Catalan is more similar to Spanish, especially when you speak the language; Writing Catalan is more complex, especially because of the accentuation of the spelling.

Both sisters, Leonor and Sofía, also study the Galician language, which is more similar to Portuguese and it seems that Leonor is the least fluent.
I must say that it is very useful for learning Portuguese, but the accent is tremendously different from Spanish. It's very musical, if you understand what I mean. If you know the Portuguese language, Galician is very, very similar, but with a more pronounced accent.

Thank you very much for your effort.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Let us keep it simple: there is no any problem when a royal does not speak another language. Angela Merkel, Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping and Joe Biden do perfectly well with only German resp. Russian, Mandarin and English...

And they are the real leaders. For receiving a bouquet of flowers or cutting a ribbon a polyglot tongue is not really a necessity. All heirs will do well. With just one language. Or with five languages. There are interpreters at service, at all.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I forgot about Masako, who had a successful diplomatic training before becoming a princess; According to her bibliography, she studied at Harvard, Oxford and Cambrigde (in different fields and levels of training), and had a stay in France, to perfect the French language at the University of Grenoble. So she, she at least she speaks French, English and her native language

Regarding the learning of "Chinese language " by Princess Leonor, it was something that a yellow magazine said many years ago, because that language is taught in her school, but Spanish Royal House has never commented on learning Chinese by Spanish princesses., which would not help her much either. her, except on a trip to China, I think.
Zarzuela comments on very few things, but whenever she communicates something to us, it is because it is true.

They said that both, Leonor and Sofia, learn Arabic from a very young age, but I cannot comment on the level because I do not know it. And as I said earlier in another comment, they are both, Leonor and Sofía, who learn the same languages. There is no difference in the formation of the two sisters in terms of studies and languages.

Your comment on Basque is accurate, and we don't know how fluent both sisters are until we hear them speak. It is a very old language, very different from European languages. Catalan is more similar to Spanish, especially when you speak the language; Writing Catalan is more complex, especially because of the accentuation of the spelling.

Both sisters, Leonor and Sofía, also study the Galician language, which is more similar to Portuguese and it seems that Leonor is the least fluent.
I must say that it is very useful for learning Portuguese, but the accent is tremendously different from Spanish. It's very musical, if you understand what I mean. If you know the Portuguese language, Galician is very, very similar, but with a more pronounced accent.

Thank you very much for your effort.
You're welcome

Galician is very similar to Portuguese. It is called Galician-Portuguese sometimes, or "Espanhol um bocado aportuguesado" (Spanish a bit Portuguese). In fact, Portuguese came from Galician-Portuguese, and the first recordings of the Portuguese language came from a Spanish King in the form of poetry. Quite interesting.

If Leonor and Sofia learn Galician, they won't have any problem in understanding Portuguese. It seems they will master almost all Romance languages. Learning Castilian Spanish, Catalan, Galician (which will allow them to understand Portuguese), will also give them some knowledge about Italian, which is also a Romance Language that has many similiarities with Spanish. I don't speak that many languages, but because of the close Latin link, I understand Castilian and Galician fluently, and I understand Catalan and Italian to a great extent. French is the most different of the Romance languages (even Romanian is easier than French).
Old 05-03-2021, 05:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:

French is the most different of the Romance languages (even Romanian is easier than French).

French is closer to Portuguese than Romanian. And French is much closer to Catalan than to Spanish or Portuguese.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
French is closer to Portuguese than Romanian. And French is much closer to Catalan than to Spanish or Portuguese.
Hmm, interesting. How come I understand Romanian better than French? And I think Catalan is closer to Spanish than French.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:58 PM
Majesty

This figure gives a helpful perspective on the relationship between the Romance languages.

This one is even more detailed.

The eastern branch for Romanian split off first from the western branch; and Catalan is part of the same branch as French but closed related to Occitan (but I agree that it seems in-between French and Spanish).
Old 05-03-2021, 07:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Hmm, interesting. How come I understand Romanian better than French? And I think Catalan is closer to Spanish than French.

I meant that the similarity between French and Catalan is greater than the similiarity between French and Spanish.

Romanian belongs to the Eastern Romance group. French, Spanish/Portuguese and Catalan/Occitan all belong to the Western Romance group, so they are "genetically" closer to each other than to Romanian.

Intelligibility, of course, is a different matter. Portuguese has an 89-90% lexical overlap with Spanish and, yet, many Spaniards do not consider Portuguese intelligible because of differences in phonology.

Something similar happens pehaps in the Scandinavian languages with Danish and Swedish .
Old 05-03-2021, 08:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I meant that the similarity between French and Catalan is greater than the similiarity between French and Spanish.

Romanian belongs to the Eastern Romance group. French, Spanish/Portuguese and Catalan/Occitan all belong to the Western Romance group, so they are "genetically" closer to each other than to Romanian.

Intelligibility, of course, is a different matter. Portuguese has an 89-90% lexical overlap with Spanish and, yet, many Spaniards do not consider Portuguese intelligible because of differences in phonology.

Something similar happens pehaps in the Scandinavian languages with Danish and Swedish .
Sorry, I didn't explain it well. I didn't doubt what you said, I just described what my ears heard. I can understand Romanian better than French (though I can't speak neither) because Romanian has many similar words, while French sounds the most different. The same with Catalan, I do understand some words too, and the overall meaning of a phrase, while I have difficulties with French.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Empress Masako is also at least conversant in Russian, if not fluent as her father was posted there in the diplomatic corps and IIRC she also knows German.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:47 AM
Serene Highness

And have any of her languages passed on to her daughter?
Old 05-04-2021, 12:31 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Let us keep it simple: there is no any problem when a royal does not speak another language. Angela Merkel, Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping and Joe Biden do perfectly well with only German resp. Russian, Mandarin and English...

And they are the real leaders. For receiving a bouquet of flowers or cutting a ribbon a polyglot tongue is not really a necessity. All heirs will do well. With just one language. Or with five languages. There are interpreters at service, at all.
Perfectly well does not mean good enough ;-) maybe for the BRF who has not got anything but ribbon cutting if you like so, but some of the monarchs have stronger roles to fullfill than this.
Learning a lanuguage contributes a lot to both building knowledge and character and I do not reduce the royals to their role, they are human beings with talents, aims and dreams aswell as any of us.
Three of the politicians you mentioned above speak at least two languages themselves instead of only their mother tongue.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeas View Post
Perfectly well does not mean good enough ;-) maybe for the BRF who has not got anything but ribbon cutting if you like so, but some of the monarchs have stronger roles to fullfill than this.
Elizabeth speaks French fluently, thank you, and Charles seems at least conversant in both French and German. It isn't exactly their fault that their native language became the current lingua franca.

I'd wonder how you'd define a so-called "stronger role", but that really isn't the topic of this thread.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:35 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Elizabeth speaks French fluently, thank you, and Charles seems at least conversant in both French and German. It isn't exactly their fault that their native language became the current lingua franca.

I'd wonder how you'd define a so-called "stronger role", but that really isn't the topic of this thread.
I think you got my post wrong. I responded to another poster saying that these politicians (he mentioned) do only speak their mother tongue which simply is not true.
I know and appreciate those royals who are capable of various languages and think this is how it should be, like I think for everybody else.

The different forms of monarchies are very well explained if you look up appropriate websites or books.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
You're welcome

Galician is very similar to Portuguese. It is called Galician-Portuguese sometimes, or "Espanhol um bocado aportuguesado" (Spanish a bit Portuguese). In fact, Portuguese came from Galician-Portuguese, and the first recordings of the Portuguese language came from a Spanish King in the form of poetry. Quite interesting.

If Leonor and Sofia learn Galician, they won't have any problem in understanding Portuguese. It seems they will master almost all Romance languages. Learning Castilian Spanish, Catalan, Galician (which will allow them to understand Portuguese), will also give them some knowledge about Italian, which is also a Romance Language that has many similiarities with Spanish. I don't speak that many languages, but because of the close Latin link, I understand Castilian and Galician fluently, and I understand Catalan and Italian to a great extent. French is the most different of the Romance languages (even Romanian is easier than French).
Indeed, even for a non-Galician Spanish, we can understand a Portuguese speaker and an Italian speaker quite well, but it is impossible to understand a French speaker
Galician and Portuguese are very similar, certainly, and if Leonor and Sofia are fluent in the Galician language, they will be able to understand each other very well with a Portuguese speaker.
My experience is that Catalan is very similar to Spanish, and it is only necessary to watch a few videos (I was a follower of a series on Catalan TV) and it was quite easy to understand after a few videos.
It is very different to speak perfectly Catalan.
Catalán is a very different language from French. A lot of. Only Catalan borrowed the spelling accents, I think, from French but Catalan and French are not spoken in any way, the same, it is not even understandable for a Spanish, as it is not for a French.
Again, a thousand thanks.

As a curiosity: fundamentally what is important is the "accent". King Felipe VI speaks perfect French with a slight Spanish accent. If you hear Leonor speak in her speech in her catatan at her first "Princess of Girona" awards, you will notice the difference in pronunciation since French is very guttural; in fact I don't know many people who speak French without a Spanish accent, nor do I know many French people who speak Spanish without much "French" accent.
I only met an a moroccan girl who was fluent in classic and variant arabic language, English, French, and Spanish (with a very slight Andalusian accent ), perfectly.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post

Spanish is spoken in many countries in the world, and it is the second most spoken language in the world after Chinese, but it is no excuse for not learning other languages.
In fact, the Spanish have not given too much importance to foreign languages, until relatively recently.
In the generation of my great-grandparents, the bourgeois class or aristocracy, I used to learn French or Portuguese, but that was forgotten
It is now when Spaniards try to speak other languages such as German or is it English
There is no excuse to learn another language, saying that ours is the most widely spoken in the world after Chinese, because languages open the doors to other cultures and other countries.