Beauty And Popularity?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think look can attract media attention but it wont make a Princess popular, for example Princess Aelxandra of Denmark she an attractive lady elegant in her own way but what shes achieved since she married into the Royal Family and learnt the language quickly i think that what made her popular among danish people.

As for the late Princess Diana, she had warm personality and she achieved alot for the country, as well as she was down to earth person..thats why people called her the queen of hearts, all of these things made her popular, but no one can deny that she was a style icon and truly a beautiful Princess.

I think it is more 'glamorous' than beautiful that we judge it by. although it is all subjective of course, to me, no other Crown Princess could stand a chance next to Mette-Marit, because she is so gorgeous, unusual and striking looking, but she is probably the least glamorous? But if the media know you will show up everywhere with your hair and make up professionally done, and looking like a fashion plate, they will put you up there.

I know this is going to sound a bit mean, but here goes.

Say Queen Victoria has been a male and the present line of Hanover was in place, still sitting on the throne of England...

Would the world still be as fascinated by Ernst August's sons as they are by William and Harry?

I am talking about in terms of looks...because let's face it. The only reason the Queen has such good looking grandchildren is because her children infused new blood into the gene pool.

Gone are the horsey teeth, Hanoverian bosoms, bulging eyes (save for Freddie Windsor)....and just all around hideousness of too many "cousin" marriages producing some "interesting" people.

I think in todays shallow celebrity based culture, many people idolize what they see, a pretty face will always win over the masses and make them popular.

However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I have to say I very much like Princess Maxima, whether that is because she is 'pretty' or that she seems to be happy all the time, I don't know. :confused:

I belive that Prince William and Princess Diana may be more liked because of their looks. But aside form that I think they would still be liked if they weren't the ideal picture of beauty. Diana helped the world a lot and she gave others a lot of her spare time. She was not only remembered for her beauty but for her love and compassionate nature.
Prince William is a very nice guy and he I'm sure is very popular because he's going to be king. Poeple look up to him because doesn't every boy wish to be king and doesn't every girl wish to be his Queen?

I think looks go a long way, but you have to have character also. Diana was very beautiful, but she helped a great deal with the AIDS charities. And I think when people remember her, they not only see the beauty, but the brains too. It all depends on what YOU think of the person.

ZandraRae said:
I think looks go a long way, but you have to have character also...

For example, I think Princess Michael is extremely beautiful but she has not been a particularly popular member (with the public) of the Windsor family.

looking at media pictures of royalty is a business. what would one do if they lived in a place with no tv transmission or magazines for sale? naturally humans like beauty but all people are beautifull. do you think your 90 year old grandmal is as beautifull as charlotte casiraghi? i do.

princess Grace

For me the most beautiful and popular princess will ever be princess Grace of Monaco

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting question, I think beauty does have to do a bit with popularity ..not much but i think it has an influence

I think beauty and popularity are very much related to,because people admire beauty but other things too ,obviously

Well, I think beauty only doesn't make the race. If you imagine a beautiful "Ice-Queen" with no charism and no smilings never - it wouldn't work ;) But yes, I think beauty helps in some ways - public attention will be more the case.

In my opinion, beauty sometimes attracts too much attention, which in some cases depresses and makes you feel uncomfortable.

I think beauty certainly helps make a princess or queen more popular simply because it will draw more press attention because there will be more magazines willing to pay for photos of her and wanting to put her on their covers, solely because pretty faces sell. For instance, Constantine and Anne-Marie were the most photographed couple in the world when they married in the 60s, largely because she was so beautiful and he was so handsome. So I think it's mostly important in just getting her more exposure.

However, when a country's people are judging which royals they like and how much they like them, I don't think they care all that much about looks. (I.e., where is Constantine now?) For instance, I don't think Laurentien of the Netherlands is very pretty, but she seems to be just as popular with the Dutch people as more attractive princesses. Same thing with Queen Margrethe - she has never been beautiful, but she's one of the most popular monarchs.

I think in recent times the Media has played a significant part in making physically appealing Royals more popular -we are increasingly a visual society & we are repeatedly fed messages about who we should admire & this is largely based on how they look. People who do not follow the Royals closely are more likely to accept these judgements because they are less likely to spend time reading about an individual's good works/ethical views etc. There are one or two exceptions, but I think this takes considerable time to register in the public consciousness. So,yes, IMO beauty does relate to popularity.

Hi Ava Elizabeth !

In my opinion, I would rather say the contrary : It's because some persons are famous that we find them beautiful . Princess Mary is the perfect example for that . If she was only the girl-next-door, I think nobody would say she is beautiful . She would only be one among other average-looking women ...
I totally agree with you Anita :flowers:
The same happens with the celebrities...

I think it depends on the person.Princess Mary is beautiful and popular-

F.Ex: Princess Màxima is a very nice person, always happy and smiling..so thats the "clue" of her popularity...
i agree with you

I think everybody can culture his/her own beauty, as well the inner as the exterior one. With patience and care and formation and development we all can reach some beauty. It is quite normal that everyone is attracted by beauty, as if beauty was a reflection of the light of God.

I totally agree with you Anita :flowers:
The same happens with the celebrities...
I remember the first picture of Kate Winslet. She looked healthy and pretty and very girl-next-door. Over time she has become polished, elegant, perhaps even beautiful but, when you see a photo of her in her sweat pants she just looks like the "old" Kate.

Royal women have to spend more time "gilding the lily" so to speak. I mean what would people say if they turned up with chipped nail polish, or brushed and not "arranged" hair? They seem to treat it like a "Uniform" and when they are "on duty" they look elegance personified but at home and on holiday they get to be themselves.

As to "beautiful"? It is a very subjective adjective and my personal favourite Princess is not really pretty at all. She is Victoria, with wellies and hard hat on a building site or glamourous with a tiara at a gala event. At either event she looks like herself but, when she smiles her very own megawatt smile she breaks the language barrier and anyone seems to put everyone at their ease and having broken the ice everyone seems to relax and enjoy themselves so, no I don't think "The more beautiful, the more popular!

In fact, pity those beautiful women like Marilyn Munro who found nobody really cared what they had to say or even if they had a brain. For them beauty brought more pain and loneliness than joy or happiness.

Last edited:
Well, since Charlotte isn't a princess -- since she isn't royal -- she and her brother Andrea shouldn't be on the list at all.

Most beautiful royal in history? That's a bit of a problem. All of these people are living, except for Gayatri Devi, who died in 2009. And we don't have a good sense of how many royal figures in history really looked. Some royals of the past were said to have been extremely attractive.

I think Catherine Middleton is herself very attractive but not a knock-out beauty. That's also what I thought about Diana. And Prince Charles? He's improved with age, as men often do, but I still wouldn't put him on any top 10 lists for looks.

All in all, when it comes to ''blood'' Charlotte is that much more royal than Kate. Kate is pretty, but not gorgeous. (contrary to Charlotte, Caroline and Grace who were and are all stunning)
I think what made people appreciate Diana's looks because she radiated kindness and sweetness. Can't say for her too that she had the traffic stopping affect.

Well, if Charlotte qualifies, I'd have to put Lady Helen Taylor, daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Kent, on the list. She is, after all, the daughter and granddaughter of royal princes, granddaughter of a royal princess (Marina of Greece), and great-granddaughter of a king and a queen consort: King George V and his wife, Queen Mary.

The Monegasques are just "Serene," not "Royal," highnesses (Princess Caroline didn't acquire "royal" status until she married her third husband, and his monarchy of Hanover is defunct, after all); and Charlotte's namesake was born the illegitimate daughter of a cabaret singer: a fascinating story.

However, we could talk about this for days. We should probably get back to clothes.

Last edited:
The more beautiful a royal was, the more likely they would be well-known. Popularity would depend on what type of person they were. How they treated people. If they were cruel, mean, nasty or vicious, people would say that she was pretty or attractive but has the personality of a rat or had no personality at all. If the person was kind to others and showed this they would be more popular.

You will often find that women who are just plain jane in looks and have a great personality often will outshine someone who is physically beautiful or attractive.

In all honesty,yes I do think the more beautiful the more popular.There are just too many reasons why.

I think there are two facets to this. The better looking you are the more popular, and the more popular you are, the better you look. Take William and Harry for example, they are nowhere near as good looking as people make them out to be; but hype about them builds and all of a sudden they are the best looking men on the planet.
I will say I do think Kate is better looking than Diana, especially if you are comparing them at the same age.

Last edited:
I think that both Diana and Catherine was/is beautiful women, but totally different. I also think that because of the fashion of the late eighties, people looked older than their actual age. Diana look younger in her last years than in her mid twenties. Cathrine dresses very contemporately

I think as Diana aged she started losing her looks, similarly to William. Her face lost its roundess and her nose stuck out more. But it's nice to see the list wasn't biased to England and put Princess Grace at the top and I agree Raina is one of the most beautiful woman alive. Too bad she has bad taste in men...but whatever.
There was this beautiful princess at W*K's wedding, she was wearing pink and had her hair down her right shoulder; I just forgot her name. I think she is a real looker as well.

Well in the beginning it could perhaps give you some popularity if you are beautiful but it like it was said before it depends on your position if you married one of the unknown cousins of the queen/king it will not help really but if you married the crown prince it could help you in the beginning but afterwards your actions have an huge impact on your popularity. If you don't do a single thing and are beautiful that will probably not make you popular but if you are beautiful and very active that will make you popular, but that's in your home country. Your actions are there much more important then your looks but abroad that's a different story. For example look at queen Rania I bet a huge part of her popularity abroad is because of her looks and her being a fashion icon by the average human being then her causes ( ofcourse this has also an impact but less then what I had said)

I think there are two facets to this. The better looking you are the more popular, and the more popular you are, the better you look. Take William and Harry for example, they are nowhere near as good looking as people make them out to be; but hype about them builds and all of a sudden they are the best looking men on the planet.
I will say I do think Kate is better looking than Diana, especially if you are comparing them at the same age.

I completely agree. Diana for example was pretty but not all that and the same goes for queen Rania, princess Mary or Charlotte ( or any other royal that is idealised) If you look around you can see much more attractive people in real life then them. And if they had their resources... Well they had to better watch out if these persons were princes or princesses ( or kings of queens) To be honest I don't find the royals the most attractive bunch there is and if they are pretty/handsome they are not that spectacular

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom