Are You A Royalist?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Constitutional monarchies are democratic. But if you don't have this appendage, why would you want one? Restoring monarchies, today, is archaic. What is, is fine. I don't see anyone lining up to restore any monarchy.

I am a royalist and I would like live in kingdom

I agree. I'm from the US, with roots in Puerto Rico, but I'd like to live in a monarchy. I'd just like one that isn't so...prone to controversy :lol:

My maternal grandmother's family was Jewish and lived in a small town near Riga, Lativa. It was a small village back in the 1890's (now it's a large industrial city). I can't remember the name of the town but I would know it if I heard the name. A neighboring town suffered a pogrom and many people in that town were killed. Houses were set on fire, people were killed. A couple of people from that town escaped and warned my grandmother's relatives and others in the village that they might be next. I don't know if the village was later attacked or not because my great-grandmother and several relatives left shortly thereafter.

My grandmother was told that it was the Russian Army was involved in and planned this attack. There were Russian Army troops everywhere who wouldn't think twice of killing anyone whether they be Jewish or Lativan who tried to flee the area.

Many people in the area were verbally threatened and told that they would be hunted down to the ends of the earth and killed if they tried to escape or leave. The quickest way to flee was where the Russian troops were deployed.

Those who escaped often did so during the dead of winter in the woods and prayed that they wouldn't be caught (they would be killed on sight by Russian troops). From there (not sure how much time passed between escaping in the woods to getting into the row boat) they got into a large row boat and went across the Baltic sea to another country. Not sure which country they landed (could have been Poland, Estonia or Finland). The trip was very risky as the water in the Baltic Sea is very cold most of the year. It took a long time about six months to a year before they got to America. The year was 1896.

My grandmother was born in the United States. She heard these stories from her mother and from her aunts as young child. When she was a teenager, the Czar was overthrown. If her mind, what goes around, comes around was her reaction to this. As I said earlier, she didn't wish him or his family ill-will but believed his actions over the years contributed to this violent overthrow.

The word Russian Army invoked fear in my grandmother till the day she died. People who didn't know the family history or whose families were not from Eastern Europe thought the fear was somewhat irrational. When I took a Russian history class when I was in college, several people in the class whose families roots were in Eastern Europe wanted to take the class to better understand the history of the region and their own roots in those countries. This was one reason why I took the class. I also was interested in the Russian royalty history as well.

I remember reading about a massacre that occurred in Latvia (don't remember which city, possibly Riga) in 1906. Many Jewish businesses were destroyed, and a good number of people (Jews and gentiles) were killed. What really got me though was the fact that according to the author of the account (and I want to say it was Radzinskii), Nikolai II had no idea that this even went on. Apparently, the governor of that region gave an 'ok' for this pogrom, but the word didn't reach Nikolai II until months after the event. Really goes to show how ineffective the system was, and how corrupt the authorities could be.

On the subject of monarchists, I have cousins who are Jewish, and their children go to a modern Orthodox Yashivah (a Jewish day school). I remember one Thanksgiving, I brought over a bunch of things from an exhibit that dealt with the last Imperial Family. I showed the children pictures of the Grand Duchesses and Aleksei, and was told right away that they were evil people, who didn't like Jews, and had no qualms killing them. Their father is a history buff, and I enjoyed having discussions about Russian history with him, because he always brought in a perspective that I didn't consider. I just found it interesting that his children were so adamant to condemn even Imperial children of the beliefs that were so prominent in the high circles of Russian society (there's no proof of course that Nikolai's children were even taught any anti-Jewish propaganda). Needless to say, these cousins are very much anti-monarchy.

I was told by my grandmother that the Czars of Russia used Russian troops against people and countries for the purposes of power and control and the list of people and countries (mostly Eastern Europe) they did this to or attempted to do this to was very long. People of Jewish ancestry, Lativans and Lativans of Jewish ancestry were just a few of these who were targeted. Russian citizens were also attacked as well. It was being power hungry, wanting to take over or control other countries and persecuting others that let to the downfall of the Czars.

My grandmother only condemned the Czars and those directly involved in these actions. Or those who knew about it. She didn't condemn their families or the Russian people.

Although my great-grandmother was Jewish, my grandmother was only half-Jewish. Her father was a gentile. This was considered to be a scandal at the time period (1902) but this is another story, another time. She was never raised in the Jewish community or raised as Jewish. However, she was around her Jewish relatives from time to time so she had an understand of the Jewish culture and religion to a certain degree.

I would have to say Daria S that what was said at the Orthodox Yashivah (Jewish Day School) is something similiar that I've heard said from people of Jewish heritage whose families came from Russia or Eastern Europe. These were a few people so I can't say that this is everyone or if this is how the majority of people of Jewish ancestry whose families came from Russia or Eastern Europe feels about the Czars.

But I can say that in reading Russian History some of the things that were done to people by various Czars were very disturbing to read. I had to briefly stop reading a Russian history book because I started to cry because I pictured in my mind these things being done. As you can guess, my friends thought I was nuts.

Last edited:
Had I lived in Lativia in 1896, I would be anti-monarchy. The same would be true if I lived under the reign of Henry VIII.

I am a royalist because I live in the 21st century. The idea of royalty is fascinating to me.

Had I lived in Lativia in 1896, I would be anti-monarchy. The same would be true if I lived under the reign of Henry VIII.

I am a royalist because I live in the 21st century. The idea of royalty is fascinating to me.

You bring up a very good point. I think because we're living in a time where monarchies, for the most part, are ceremonial. I'm sure if I were to be transported to the times of Ivan the Terrible, or Henry VIII, I would be singing a very different tune. I think a great deal of people who were wronged by the system are angry (and rightly so), and feel that anything that will provide a relief of their troubles (even if it's a drastic and bloody regime change) will be better than what they've got at the moment.

I am against absolute monarchies. When it comes to constitutional monarchies, I certainly wouldn't want it for my country (the USA) but if another country wants it, I'm fine with that. I love following royal news, though :)

I think that I'm a monarchist in constitutional monarchies, but I don't think that any countries need to restore their monarchy (i.e: the US, Russia, Greece, France, etc). For example, my Queen is Elizabeth II, and I would hate it if the monarchy ever left. But my friends in the States don't hate the monarchy, but they don't care about having one back. Basically: If you've got one, keep it. If you don't, whatever :whistling:

The United States is probably one of the few countries in the world that never have a monarchy or a King or Queen. The founding fathers didn't want a King or Queen to rule their nation. In most countries throughout the world you had this system in place to a certain degree.

If the United States had a monarchy it would be very different from traditional monarchies. It probably wouldn't be recognized as being royal because those in the monarchy would not be royal by blood according to European standards of the day, even though these people would be considered the American elite or upper class. to the average American.

No, their time has past. Things evolve. Constitutional monarchies that work well where they are, are fine for those in the countries they affect. No problem. New one, never and absolute one are without any rational justification. The days of the guy with the big sword are gone, I hope.

I am fascinated by certain royal individuals-may it be for their character &intelligence,their fashion sense & beauty or because they have an interesting life and do good work for their countries but I strongly believe in democracy & human rights. I would never want to have a traditional monarchy with autocratic leadership but IMO constitutional monarchies like in UK are a good way of preserving the history and glamour of the old times while respecting the constitution and giving fair justice and equal opportunities for every citizen. (at least on the paper)
There are many modern royals who work for charity and the causes they feel passionate about while representing their country in a good way. Because they are not elected and stay for their whole life there is a sense of continuity and stability & they constantly need to show their commitment and fulfil their duties to prove they are worth it.
Besides that I would not know where else you can see so many beautiful haute couture gowns,tiaras or precious pieces of jewellery like at a royal event....I really like the glamour-aspect of royalty :D

I am absolutely fascinated by the royals and their lifestyle and wish I could be like them so then I guess I am a royalist!

I would call myself a Monarchist, not a Royalist. Why am i a Monarchist? Because i believe that Monarchy offers the most stable form of Government ( Greek Republic tottering ) provides a link between a Nation`s past and present ( Who was French President in 1952? ) and creates a bond between Sovereign and subjects, in time of National peril ( WWI & II ) Would i ever be happy living in a white-collar Republic, serving a here today and gone tomorrow, President?

I've been interested in royalty for a very long time. I'm fascinated by their lifestyle probably because it's so different than mine. When I was a teen-ager I used to wonder what it would be like to live this lifestyle or had an ideal of what it would be like to live this way.

Of course I would bet that someone who was royal would tell me that I was living in a fantasy world and didn't know what I was talking about. Perception and reality are two different things.

I would call myself a Monarchist, not a Royalist. Why am i a Monarchist? Because i believe that Monarchy offers the most stable form of Government ( Greek Republic tottering ) provides a link between a Nation`s past and present ( Who was French President in 1952? ) and creates a bond between Sovereign and subjects, in time of National peril ( WWI & II ) Would i ever be happy living in a white-collar Republic, serving a here today and gone tomorrow, President?

Hear, hear! I agree with you one hundred percent.

To each their own. I prefer a republic. But it is fun to watch "royalty".

I suppose I do support monarchical form of Government, but only constitutional one. A constitutional monarch is a symbol of unity and preserver of traditions - a very worthwile position indeed.

I'm not sure what I'd want for my country though; for starters, there isn't really Armenian Royal House any more. The House of Savoy could be claimant to the throne of Armenian Cilicia (as senior most direct descendants), while the Georgian House of Bagration could be claimant to the throne of Armenia (as descendants of the Armenian House of Bagratuni). Overall, Monarchy would probably help stabilising my country; the King and the Church have always been two of the most important symbols of Armenia, even at times when Armenia was forced to live under foreign powers.

Last edited:
I will always be a Royalist and could not possibly imagine living in the UK without a King/Queen. Not only would we be throwing away 1000+ years of history and possibly 1000 more but also handing over what makes our country stand out amongst the world and making us just another country with a president.

I personally don't think there could ever be a politician who could possibly be as good a ambassador and figurehead as Her Majesty has been over these past 60 years.

How many countries in the world would have their nation come together to celebrate the wedding of a presidents grandson?

Although I do enjoy the royal families of Europe, I am not sure whether a monarch is necessary. It's nice to have them, but I am not sure whether my country would do well with a(n) hereditary leader. It's been quite a few years since we have not ruled ourselves (for good or ill). I think it is too late for citizens of the U.S.A. to want a monarchy of any sort.

I will always be a Royalist and could not possibly imagine living in the UK without a King/Queen. Not only would we be throwing away 1000+ years of history and possibly 1000 more but also handing over what makes our country stand out amongst the world and making us just another country with a president.

I personally don't think there could ever be a politician who could possibly be as good a ambassador and figurehead as Her Majesty has been over these past 60 years.

How many countries in the world would have their nation come together to celebrate the wedding of a presidents grandson?
I could`nt agree more.

Thank God. Like I said, great fun to watch, but it doesn't bring much to the table, that doesn't already exist in republics. Of couse, depending on trhe stability and education of the republic.

I'm defintatly a royalist! I can't imagine living in a country without a monarchy; and if I ever moved countries, it would probably have to be one with a monarchy :D. I just love occasions like royal weddings and Trooping of the Color. Most of my excitement last year was because of the Jubilee, whilst most of my friends were excited for the Olympics.

My Queen is Elizabeth II, so my Royal Family is the BRF. I would be very upset if our monarchy ever went away. I've always dreamed of being royalty, ever since I can remember... :crown5:

Last edited:
Yes, I adore the monarchy. I love having the Queen as my Head of State in the UK, she's a symbol of Britain and someone to be proud of. Due to the Queen not having a party political opinion, she's an ideal sovereign whom everyone can appreciate. I also like the ceremonies that come with the royals (jubilees, weddings, births) and the way they represent the country abroad. However, I can understand why people like republic countries. I just like our hereditary monarchy the way it is.

I'm interested in the historical aspects of royalty and nobility, as much of earlier history is the history of royals and nobles, the longer back in history you go the less is known about how ordinary people lived.

I'm also interested in the pageantry of today's monarchies, but not so interested in the day-to-day living and workings of the royals. I can read about royals if I see something in the papers, but I don't go out and search for information about them on a daily basis.

So I would say that I'm neither a royalist, nor a monarchist. I think the constitutional monarchy as a good, but not a perfect, form of government, and if Sweden one day would decide to become a republic I wouldn't mourn the loss of the monarchy. (Well, I might mourn the loss of pageantry at the Nobel ceremonies, but it's just one day out of 365.)

I'll be living in the UK soon enough do to my English fiancee but I am not a monarchist or a royalist I just find the whole thing interesting, even though (or is it because?) some of the BRF make me wanna scream bloody murder.

I like constitutional monarchies because they add spice to governments, but I'm against absolute monarchy.

For my country I am a staunch republican (no not that kind). I would see a monarch as a waste of money in my country. I believe each countries population should choose what is best for them whether it be a King or an elected official. The only country I would like to see have a monarchy again is Russia, minus the autocracy.
If I lived under certain monarchs in the past I might be anti-monarch, perhaps because Iive in the 21st century but I have always hated the divine right bull crap and the idea that a king is answerable only to God. The evolved idea that the monarch serves the people as opposed to the other way around is more satisfactory. If I lived during the reign of Henry VIII I would stay as far away from London and him as I could. But if I'm in France during Louis XIV and on I would definitely be living at Versailles 24/7; then seeing as how I have knowledge of future events on July 1st 1789 I'd get the heck out of dodge.
I have no idea what monarch I would want to live under in Russia.

Last edited:
Am I a monarchist? Yes, but probably won't have much interest after the elder royals are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom