A New Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think William & Kate actively work at not having the press try to make Kate into the "new Diana" and it looks like Harry & Meghan are following that path as well. I don't think any of them want the kind of press frenzy that surrounded their mother.

I think at the beginning the press was enthralled with Diana and got the public more interested than they might have ordinarily. But then Diana began to further her own agenda using the press, but she couldn't always control it.

For good or ill, better or worse, the only things we really "knew" about Diana was what she wore and whether we liked it and what she herself actually said and that is not enough to "know" anyone.

Well, we do know she loved her sons. We know she was mercurial and could be obsessive. These are things we know from her actions.

Last edited:
Yes we knew she loved her son's.

I've been thinking that so much muck-raking goes on every year on that anniversary of her death that it's hardly surprising that Harry was unable to grieve in a normal way.

For that reason alone I think that is why Charlotte's first name isn't Diana and should Harry and Megan's first child be a girl they would not name her Diana either. Neither family would want the nutters attributing every breath she took to her namesake.

It was never likely that either son would call a daughter Diana for a first name. They don't do that. William showed his love for his mother by givng his daughter the name Diana.

I believe Diana was a truly sheltered girl, teaching kindergarten children and sometimes nanny with no sophistication. It is simply not possible for a girl at 19 or 20 to comprehend the secretive society Charles had already constructed. Meeting and marrying so very young , Diana hadn't a clue of the much older powerful, sophisticated, adulterous clique Charles and Camilla had created for themselves to socialize together. Her innocence was truly betrayed and exploited by Charles and this clique. Her discoveries devastated her as she had no powers to answer or accept their continuing betrayals and humiliations. The public saw a genuinely shy young woman, who never once acted arrogant, haughty, unkindly, or phony. I believe all the negative behavior attributed to Diana derived from her later devastation, humiliation'and powerlessness to affect or change Her life, and how she was treated, being in a loveless sham marriage.

I believe Diana was a truly sheltered girl, teaching kindergarten children and sometimes nanny with no sophistication. It is simply not possible for a girl at 19 or 20 to comprehend the secretive society Charles had already constructed. Meeting and marrying so very young , Diana hadn't a clue of the much older powerful, sophisticated, adulterous clique Charles and Camilla had created for themselves to socialize together. Her innocence was truly betrayed and exploited by Charles and this clique. Her discoveries devastated her as she had no powers to answer or accept their continuing betrayals and humiliations. The public saw a genuinely shy young woman, who never once acted arrogant, haughty, unkindly, or phony. I believe all the negative behavior attributed to Diana derived from her later devastation, humiliation'and powerlessness to affect or change Her life, and how she was treated, being in a loveless sham marriage.

Diana’s narrated image began with her grand wedding. At only nineteen she was depicted as an innocent marrying "an old man who was in love with another". In this narration she, an aristocrat, knew all too well of her fiancé’s love for Camilla and yet decided to marry him anyway. And thus began her public image as ‘an innocent wronged’ a victim of circumstance and an outsider.

You stop here. At the 19-year old version. The nearly two decades of cheating, suicides, mental illness and manipulations are too easily overlooked.

Diana -in her own words (!)- kept feelings of abandonment and emptiness that she had carried for so much of her life (after witnessing her parents' tumultuous marriage and divorce). She was visibly hellbent on self-aggrandisement and self-justification and -ultimately- self-destruction. Diana craved for her sons' affection, and did everything she could to take them to an almost un-natural Mother Devotion (at the cost of the father). In the end this shy 19 years old became the ultimate manipulatrix of family, friends, media and public.

Last edited:
Kate has a lot of responsibilities and will increase over time.
I think Harry always carries his mother's light. William's more distant.
Harry chose a perfect match for himself. Meghan lived with a sense of social responsibility since her childhood.
There is a different and intimate bond between Meghan and the people. This bond is strengthening day by day.

Kate has a lot of responsibilities and will increase over time.
I think Harry always carries his mother's light. William's more distant.
Harry chose a perfect match for himself. Meghan lived with a sense of social responsibility since her childhood.
There is a different and intimate bond between Meghan and the people. This bond is strengthening day by day.

I don't think so... She is getting a lot of negative press and comments from the public

There will never be another "New Diana" in the sense of catapulting a member of the British Royal Family into their own "spotlight" and "celebrity status" of their own because, frankly, I believe that this is something that *none* of the British Royal Family are seeking after. I honestly believe that even with the uproars and stories and reported "rifts" with the now married in duchesses will never reach that point.

Diana was unique unto herself. She wasn't a team player nor did she work happily in tandem with the man she married. For whatever reasons, she was a lone wolf and alone found a spotlight and celebrity status of her own.

In this age now of instant news and a fart heard around the world instantly, not much is left to imagination. One thing we do have now is that there is no one person striving to be that "lone wolf" that Diana was portrayed as in her time.

It didn't seem much of a surprise recently to hear of Harry remaining as far back in a social gathering as he could (in order not to shake hands with the President) but your point seems valid of them being a good match. She was outspoken prior to the U.S. election, and before her wedding.

Diana was not known for loyalty to one party over another, as far as I can recall.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom