The Most Terrible, Part 3

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I don't think this dress of Queen Sonja is terrible or awfull, but anyway it seems to be a fashion mistake!
Maybe it's just me, but I think it doesn't fit to an older (still beautiful) woman like her! The neck seems to be a bit too big.. Don't know. :ermm:
...it just doesn't look good on her! :lol:

KnudsensFotosenter

Her_Majesty said:
Don't know. :ermm: ...it just doesn't look good on her! :lol:

KnudsensFotosenter
It would be tastless on a hollywood starlet. For European Rolalty.... unforgiveable! Best she fire whoever told her it looked good... coturier, dresser etc.

Her Majesty usually looks divine. Let's hope this was a oncer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though that's too much skin from Queen Sonja to show off, I have to say she does have the courage to show a sexy side of her I did not know she had. The dress, the hairstyle and the necklace gives her an aura of glamour we never see in royals. It also shows how confident she is about herself and her age. If the picture was from an official event I'm sure her King was very amused to be seated next to such stylish, sophisticated and beautiful mature lady.

Last edited:
At first glance, I thought the dressmaker forgot to do any fittings.

Well, it seems she made this "mistake" another time:

Fotomarktplatz

She's a beautiful woman , but I think she should stop wearing holder-less tops / dresses :huh: . Anyway she seems to be very brave and very self-confident still to show as much skin as she does.

Her_Majesty said:
Well, it seems she made this "mistake" another time:
http://img12.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=83193_2_335lo.jpg
Fotomarktplatz

She's a beautiful woman , but I think she should stop wearing holder-less tops / dresses :huh: . Anyway she seems to be very brave and very self-confident still to show as much skin as she does.

I disagree that at a certain age women should stop wearing strapless dresses or off the shoulder dresses. Why? Because their skin there may be more wrinkled than the skin of their much younger daughters or daughter-in-laws? Would you want someone to come to you on your 50th birthday and say, "No more strapless gowns for you or gowns or any other item of clothing that bares too much skin."

I think Sonja looks very nice in this strapless red dress worn during the U.S. visit. There is nothing revealing or inappropriate about it. We are not exposed to anything private, certainly not anything that some cap sleeves would've covered up more. She also wore it at a reception with Amercian politicians and other business people. Had she worn this outfit to a mosque or something it would be inappropriate on a different level.

I think Sonja, like Silvia and Sofia look amazing for their ages and if they feel comfortable wearing strapless gowns (wich Sonja and Silvia do while Sofia does not), then why shouldn't they wear such gowns? We should applaud them for wearing such gowns or Silvia for still wearing bikinis.

Alexandria said:
I disagree that at a certain age women should stop wearing strapless dresses or off the shoulder dresses. Why? Because their skin there may be more wrinkled than the skin of their much younger daughters or daughter-in-laws? Would you want someone to come to you on your 50th birthday and say, "No more strapless gowns for you or gowns or any other item of clothing that bares too much skin."

Well, I didn't mean that woman should stop wearing strapless gowns since a special age.
I just think that Sonja looks much better with straped tops...
I don't like the cut of the red gown (the 2nd one). The skin under it looks a bit squashed (because of the cut)...:blush:
The first dress looks much better on her! You can see that she still has a very beautiful skin she can show it if she wants.
I just don't like the cut of the dresses in general.
I think I wouldn't like them on younger Royals either.
But in general I agree with you, Alexandria. :)

Some woman in her age looks good in that kind of strapless gown and some other do not. I think it is not because of the gown style itself but more about the one who wearing it, I don't think Queen Sonya looks good in that pink strapless gown, well just my opinion.

What did Marie Chantal think about her attire..she wore a light summer/spring dress with that "heavy snowing winter" hat:neutral: http://s2.supload.com/image.php?get=2-20060605163134.jpg Posted by Elsa. M

I see that a most popular and beloved Princess is slaughtered in here for being the worst dressed of all.

I feel I need to give a bit of counterbalance. Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands, first of all, is a 41 years old lady (much older than most royal ladies) with a very outspoken own Style Laurentinoise.

I applaud her for sticking above all and everything and not sink away in a grey amorph interchangeable style of fashion so many royal ladies have. Yes, with the usual faults as well. But who at least tries to hit, can miss, isn't it?

The pictures below are from Seegerpress (bucketed via my own webspace) and I can only say that I see a wonderful lady, quite non-traditional, but still she oozes class and she is a Princess of the Netherlands. With all her faults and her successes.

What do you think? Is this a walking clown? The fool of the year? Is this the "What wás she thinking?"-woman? I only see an adorable lady, a Princess to cherish...

laurentien1.jpg

laurentien2.jpg

laurentien3.jpg

laurentien4.jpg

laurentien5.jpg

laurentien6.jpg

laurentien7.jpg

laurentien8.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I have to say that sometimes I like Laurentien's outfits (e.g. the first picture you posted, Henri). But other times I get the feeling she lost all her good taste! Sometimes her dresses are just too crazy-looking and awful! Then I get the feeling she tries to get attention. :neutral: But other times she looks so beautiful (I love the red galagown! :) ). She's an interesting fashion-princess. ;)

I found this picture of Sonja:
Corbis
:ohmy: :bang:
What's that?
It's totally awful! I hope she burned this dress after she wore it once! :lol:

I agree Henri- Laurentien's style is bold and confident. I wouldn't chose most of her outfits for myself but I admire her for finding her own signature style!

Even Maxima makes some fashion mistakes... here's a good example! I happen to prefer bubbles for children and sunny summer afternoons, not for daywear skirts.

Photo- Getty Images

azile1710 said:
Even Maxima makes some fashion mistakes... here's a good example! I happen to prefer bubbles for children and sunny summer afternoons, not for daywear skirts.

Photo- Getty Images http://s2.supload.com/image.php?get=57408854.jpg

whoa!:eek: one look at the thumbnail and you'll know why it's bad. the bubble skirt makes her legs look short, squat and shapeless--totally unflattering, IMO.

Henri, thank you for all the nice pictures of Laurentien:) The more I see of her, the more I really like her. I wouldn't dare wear most of what she does - but with a very few exceptions I think that she pulls it off very well. And kudos to her for not sticking to one way only of dressing herself but having the guts to try out different looks.

Henri M. said:
I see that a most popular and beloved Princess is slaughtered in here for being the worst dressed of all.

I feel I need to give a bit of counterbalance. Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands, first of all, is a 41 years old lady (much older than most royal ladies) with a very outspoken own Style Laurentinoise.

I applaud her for sticking above all and everything and not sink away in a grey amorph interchangeable style of fashion so many royal ladies have. Yes, with the usual faults as well. But who at least tries to hit, can miss, isn't it?

The pictures below are from Seegerpress (bucketed via my own webspace) and I can only say that I see a wonderful lady, quite non-traditional, but still she oozes class and she is a Princess of the Netherlands. With all her faults and her successes.

What do you think? Is this a walking clown? The fool of the year? Is this the "What wás she thinking?"-woman? I only see an adorable lady, a Princess to cherish...

I agree with you Henri, Laurentien definitely is a princess to cherish, it's just that a lot of them time I don't cherish her choice of clothing, but that doesn't mean that I can't like her for her personality or the good work she does. On the other hand I think she's very brave being herself in a world where there will always be cameras pointed at her when she makes a visit or attends a wedding etc. and I applaud her for that.

Btw, didn't she turn 40 in stead of 41 last spring? :flowers:

Her_Majesty said:
I found this picture of Sonja:
http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/6996/nyharaldsonja478ln6.jpg
http://imageshack.us Corbis
:ohmy: :bang:
What's that?
It's totally awful! I hope she burned this dress after she wore it once! :lol:
Ofcourse she did not, Sonja dont throw out her dresses no matter what the press might think of them. The dress in question, and I agree its one of the most garish creations she has ever worn, was new for her 50th birthday. Poor Harald looks he dont want to know he in both pics:ROFLMAO:

POOL/SOH

Gosh , it looks even more worse in this picture (in combination with this hairstyle). :lol: She looks like a 70's showmaster in this picture.
I would love to have a look into her wardrobe . It must be huge thing since she doesn't throw away anything. ^^ I wouldn't be surprised if she attends in her engagement outfit one day again. :rolleyes:

Hopefully she won't wear this floral thing again. ;)

Crazy Colours

Well, this dresses aren't that awful... BUT THE COLOUR! :cool: :wacko:
You cannot look at them too long.

This "yellow" is definitely too shiny!

UK Press
(It seems she got this passion for crazy colours during her pregnany with Haakon :lol: )

dagbladed

A pink Barbie-Dress :rolleyes: ... just look at the sleeves...

corbis

I don't know if this one has been posted before but here goes:
Mary99.jpg

(Credit: Polfoto)

Now, it's been pretty clear for the past two years that Mary clearly has a better fashion sense than Frederik (remember the awful plum-colored pants?) but I don't understand out of the many fashionable coats available to men today, he had to choose this one! I know the picture is dark but the print is not for Frederik or any other man IMO. Mary might be able to pull off this pattern in a stylish suit but it's a big no-no for Frederik. :ermm:

galuhcandrakirana said:
CPss Mary's dress Mix and Matched:ohmy:
While I don't think it is 'The Most Terrible', it is however not a good look!:ermm:

MARG said:
While I don't think it is 'The Most Terrible', it is however not a good look!:ermm:
Just like another princesses Mary sometime did wrong in mix and match or in choosing her dress/gown (my opinion:)) and for me this is her most terrible one (for formal event) so far, or may be you have found another one:neutral:

soCal girl said:
I don't know if this one has been posted before but here goes:

(Credit: Polfoto)

Now, it's been pretty clear for the past two years that Mary clearly has a better fashion sense than Frederik (remember the awful plum-colored pants?) but I don't understand out of the many fashionable coats available to men today, he had to choose this one! I know the picture is dark but the print is not for Frederik or any other man IMO. Mary might be able to pull off this pattern in a stylish suit but it's a big no-no for Frederik. :ermm:

I have to agree soCal girl, that overcoat is hideous. CP Frederick has made some pretty ordinary clothing choices in the past but that would have to be the worst. :sad: Let's hope he doesn't recycle that one too often.

crisscross1 said:
I have to agree soCal girl, that overcoat is hideous. CP Frederick has made some pretty ordinary clothing choices in the past but that would have to be the worst. :sad: Let's hope he doesn't recycle that one too often.
But his obvious happiness in not to overlook anywhere:lol:

#Post 54,I think Prince Frederik is a fan of Burberry's,both the pants worn few years ago and the coat above are from that brand ;)

on the picture on Post 54:
I don't understand the outfit. With the wrist bands I thought she had carpo tunnel surgery on both hands. Then the brown or tan top over the shirt looks very odd with the belt, that matches the skirt. I look at it and I really don't know what to make out of this assembly of patterns, colors and wrist and collar cuts.

(Credit: P.P.E.)

Eeeeekkk! I hoped Queen Margrethe would have chosen a more elegant outfit to wear for her birthday!

I'm surprised pictures of the Bulgarian princess haven't appeared in this thread. I don't have any pictures myself, but it was for the 25th Wedding Anniversary gala-thingy for the Grand Duke & Duchess of Luxembourg. She looked [seriously] like something you'd see in a horror film. I'm sure she's a beautiful woman on the inside, but I don't know what possessed her to go out in public like that.

soCal girl said:
Victoria has done her share of terrible outfits but has drastically improved in the past couple years. But I wonder why Victoria makes such huge jumps when it comes to her outfits? The ones I'm posting all came from the past two years.

Casual Official Outfits:

THE AWFUL (ImagineScandinavia): http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128659&d=1114011800
^the awful trio: over-recycled velvet jacket, glasses, and the ponytail

THE GOOD (Face to Face, originally posted by purple_platinum): http://img21.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=41385_v10.jpg
^hair down, no glasses, and a chic outfit. I love the boots!

GALA OUTFITS:

THE AWFUL (Polfoto):
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107910&d=1110577660
^Two words: Frog Dress, need I say more? :D

THE GOOD (UK Press): http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=243271&d=1147525072
^gorgeous pink color, hair down, no glasses, and beautiful jewelry

You are definitely right about the Good. Those are not just good. They are fantastic. The hair should be down more often and the glasses should be off often more so we can see her eyes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom