The Duchess of Sussex's Eveningwear Part 1: May 2018 - August 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the dress, shoes, bag, hair. However, Meghan does seem to have fit/tailoring issues with a lot of her clothes. Looks tight to me.

Meghan looks elegant but I agree that the dress seems a little tight for her, especially around her chest area.

I think everyone can surely give the Duchess the benefit of the doubt as to why her clothes are not impeccably fit or perfectly tailored.

It is perfectly obvious that her body is currently different and we are all aware of why that is. It is not necessary to continue to mention it.

Perhaps some people enjoy making comments like that. I, and certainly some others, do not. It doesn’t add anything to the discussion when 40 percent of posters have to repeat “too tight”.

Give her the break that you would want for yourself if you ever find yourself in a similar situation. And just for the heck of it, go back and review what has been said about other nursing mothers on these boards.

Not to be indelicate, but if she’s nursing regularly, at this point out from Archie’s birth her bust size could still grow as much as a cup size between the time she leaves home to the time she gets to the event. There’s only so much tailoring you can do to accommodate those sorts of hour-to-hour changes. Dressmakers aren’t magicians.

As that said, Meghan's dress is fabulous but too tight on the bust area since she is still breastfeeding. But, fit issues was apparent from the very beginning, not that I mind that though. I just think she needs a better dressmaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duchess of Sussex's Eveningwear Part 1: May 2018 -

It was a pretty dress, just not on her yesterday.
I really think most of her outfits (even pre pregnancy) are not well tailored to fit her.
Maybe she needs another stylist.
Some things are obvious - if a dress is tight, pants are too long, and these are avoidable.
Is she still being styled by Jessica Mulroney?

Not to be indelicate, but if she’s nursing regularly, at this point out from Archie’s birth her bust size could still grow as much as a cup size between the time she leaves home to the time she gets to the event. There’s only so much tailoring you can do to accommodate those sorts of hour-to-hour changes. Dressmakers aren’t magicians.
I would agree that nursing would account for the top of the dress looking tight but I have to admit, tailoring has been a problem for her in many cases. However, I hasten to add that palazzo pants such as those she wore to Wimbledon last year were, strangely, not too long. Wide-legged pants were meant to puddle on the floor and women paid through the nose to be 'on trend' even though they were wearing an accident waiting to happen! Who would've thunk it?

So, I loved the way Meghan styled her hair in its sleek ponytail, loved the idea of the top of the dress and was wowed over the combination of the skirt and shoes. Obviously, she has found that Aquazurra shoes are one of her best fits which is really lucky for those of us that love shoes, Meghan definitely delivers the goods and we get to drool over the gloriously decadent eye candy.

Last edited:
DS looks lovely. She is young and her hairdo flatters her face because she has soft features. Princess Victoria of Sweden always wear her hair very tightly pulled back. CPV is lovely but that hair style does not look right on her. I also think we can say her dress is tight but please, not repeat the same comments. I love her total look.

Last edited:
Looks like the Royals are headed to their summer break...likely the last we will see of the Sussexes for awhile. I'd guess other than pop up engagements (charity etc) it'll be September before they go back to work. I figure Meghan will come out of maternity leave then too.

So this was the last of the fashion for awhile!

LaRae

I’ve been reading complaints about the fit of Meghan’s clothing for, what, two years now? And this is the first time where I thought a dress was ill fitted. All those other times I really just didn’t see it. And that’s it, people complain about everything and nothing at all. And if people complain about everything, it just loses it’s value. It becomes noise. It’s also not much fun to read.

So... this is a great dress and I hope seeing it again in, perhaps, a few months. Let’s see how it fits by then.

Actually, I never really look at anything but the actual garment a royal is wearing. As far as this dress goes, I'm definitely loving the retro vibe to back in the 50s when dresses were more romantic with tulle and full skirts and totally screams "female".

Maybe its just me but newer, on trend fashions that get more and more daring as the years go by and leave little to the imagination don't do anything for me at all.

Actually, I never really look at anything but the actual garment a royal is wearing. As far as this dress goes, I'm definitely loving the retro vibe to back in the 50s when dresses were more romantic with tulle and full skirts and totally screams "female".

Maybe its just me but newer, on trend fashions that get more and more daring as the years go by and leave little to the imagination don't do anything for me at all.

I agree! I LOVE the retro/vintage look. It is usually very elegant/classic. Much preferred to the slit to the waist style....barely a top style.

LaRae

I’ve been reading complaints about the fit of Meghan’s clothing for, what, two years now? And this is the first time where I thought a dress was ill fitted. All those other times I really just didn’t see it. And that’s it, people complain about everything and nothing at all. And if people complain about everything, it just loses it’s value. It becomes noise. It’s also not much fun to read.

So... this is a great dress and I hope seeing it again in, perhaps, a few months. Let’s see how it fits by then.

Fit is important to some people, and not at all to others. To me, it is integral to the overall effect of a garment, and, ultimately, how well the garment suits the wearer. When we are looking at bespoke or high end designer clothing, fit is important to the luxe look. Something off the rack from high street doesn't get the same level of scrutiny, because it is not such a major investment of money. To me, having something bespoke from a high end designer that gaps, strains, sags, bags, or crumples is a much bigger deal than something from Zara or H & M. Add in the fact that the royals we talk about on this forum all have the resources to have skilled tailoring accessible, and having a high end garment that fits incorrectly just looks careless. That's how I look at it, anyway, and why I frequently comment on fit on most of the fashion threads. It's all about paying attention to the details, but that isn't a big deal to everyone. It's one factor in many.

Fit is important to some people, and not at all to others. To me, it is integral to the overall effect of a garment, and, ultimately, how well the garment suits the wearer. When we are looking at bespoke or high end designer clothing, fit is important to the luxe look.
I remember an interview (or something along this line) with Jennifer Aniston about how she tailors even her t-shirts, to still look the best in something very simple and, let's say, off-duty. It's one of the simplest tricks of the fashion industry - something made specifically for your body (not even your body type, but your exact measurements) will always look good, even if it's the simplest outfit of white t-shirt and jeans.

Below the Glamour article where I find this answer from Jennifer Aniston:
https://www.glamour.com/story/the-one-reason-jennifer-anisto

Fit is important to some people, and not at all to others. To me, it is integral to the overall effect of a garment, and, ultimately, how well the garment suits the wearer. When we are looking at bespoke or high end designer clothing, fit is important to the luxe look. Something off the rack from high street doesn't get the same level of scrutiny, because it is not such a major investment of money. To me, having something bespoke from a high end designer that gaps, strains, sags, bags, or crumples is a much bigger deal than something from Zara or H & M. Add in the fact that the royals we talk about on this forum all have the resources to have skilled tailoring accessible, and having a high end garment that fits incorrectly just looks careless. That's how I look at it, anyway, and why I frequently comment on fit on most of the fashion threads. It's all about paying attention to the details, but that isn't a big deal to everyone. It's one factor in many.

It is also a big deal to me and I look for it in all the threads on royal fashion. It is really appalling to me that a made to measure outfit doesn’t fit perfectly, what is the point!

:previous:And what a number of folks have pointed out is, a post partum woman’s body, especially one who is nursing, can change drastically within an hour or two. So a dress may have fit during a fitting, but not at the event-because her body changed size and shape.

A number of posts around accusations of 'body shaming' have been removed, as this is not the place for them - and indeed, as another poster mentioned, is how the Sussex threads get closed down.

I will link the recent update to the "A Notice From The Moderating Team" thread found in the Sussex forum proper -- it's premise applies to Sussex threads across the board. Please take a read if you haven't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom