The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 3: September 2018 - June 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a photo of here not sitting down or having people in front of her, because so far I haven’t seen enough of this outfit to see if it’s ill fitting or not. Perhaps others have seen photo’s I haven’t. If not, I find it hard to believe people can judge fitting from these few photo’s.

No, there hasn’t been a good photo of her standing. And I agree, haven’t seen one photo that says it was ill fitted.

After seeing additional footage of Meghan on the balcony, I think the hat looks much less disproportional with the capelet/ coat removed, but it's still an unflattering hat. Without a full-length shot of the dress and its overall effect, the white sleeves seem a little random, and the dress itself is simple and looks comfortable, but is nothing special. So, a gold star to Meghan for showing up one month post partum, but the outfit itself is a big snooze.

> This may sound like a broke record, but clearly there is still no UK fashion house good enough to dress the lady for the most British of public engagements!
I mean, I don't know how to interpret that correctly, but as someone said earlier the only one mentioned is Clare Waight Keller, no mentions of Givenchy (which seems weird to me, that they would allow their employee to do something outside of the fashion house for someone with Meghan's media presence), but as the french brand is ommitted everywhere, technically the dress is from a British designer this time.

After seeing additional footage of Meghan on the balcony, I think the hat looks much less disproportional with the capelet/ coat removed, but it's still an unflattering hat.

Just saw some close-up I think the hat is okay, but her hairstyle today just doesn't go well with her hat. I would prefer she let her hat down, just like what she did before when she wore something in similar shape.

We see it in here. It matters to no one that Clare Waight Keller is absolutely representing Britain and her education background. And none of the Brits seem proud of her or her collaborating with Meghan.

Not quite. This has been discussed many, many times. CWK works for a foeign company. It is not about not supporting British talent, it is about Meghan not really supporting British fashion as much as she can and should.

Not quite. This has been discussed many, many times. CWK works for a foeign company. It is not about not supporting British talent, it is about Meghan not really supporting British fashion as much as she can and should.

So, if they work for a foreign company, we aren’t gonna support them. How is that different than what I said? :lol: And of course, if a home brand is owned by foreign company or have foreigners in top positions, no worries.

So, if they work for a foreign company, we aren’t gonna support them. How is that different than what I said? :lol: And of course, if a home brand is owned by foreign company or have foreigners in top positions, no worries.

Spin as you may. Royals are expected to and typically support the British fashion industry by wearing clothes and accessories by British fashion houses. Patronising an international fashion brand with a few British employees is not quite the same thing.

No one has said anything about her not being properly fitted. So I have no idea what you are talking about. Nothing looks ill fitted on her. She's wearing a dress ...which none of us know yet if it 's new or not. Some are suggesting she wore this (with a coat) to Eugenie's wedding.

LaRae

Ill fitting means the dress does not sit well on her.
You may not be able to deduct from the few images, but those who work in fashion, as a couple of my friends are, have the eye and experience with clothes and fabrics.
I don’t think this is the dress she wore to Eugenie wedding, if I am not mistaken she took her coat off during the service. Also she was much smaller in frame at Eugenie- still not really showing, vs you can tell her belly is still pretty large a month after birth- so this dress should be tight on her not draped like she is wearing a sack.

I mean, I don't know how to interpret that correctly, but as someone said earlier the only one mentioned is Clare Waight Keller, no mentions of Givenchy (which seems weird to me, that they would allow their employee to do something outside of the fashion house for someone with Meghan's media presence), but as the french brand is ommitted everywhere, technically the dress is from a British designer this time.

Is CWK no longer an employee of Givenchy or is she doing independent commissions now? Unlikely, IMO. I think the reporting is just not clear.

Reactions: Fem
I'm glad I never had to appear in public a month after having any of my babies.

Spin as you may. Royals are expected to and typically support the British fashion industry by wearing clothes and accessories by British fashion houses. Patronising an international fashion brand with a few British employees is not quite the same thing.

The British Fashion Council disagrees with this definition of British fashion as they take young and upcoming designers to Paris each year. And have awarded Clare Waight Keller and British Designer of the Year for Womenswear last year. Fact of matter is, we live in a globalized world. And French and Italian fashion aren’t just renowned because of their Houses, but also what their designers have been able to do overseas.

Just saw some close-up I think the hat is okay, but her hairstyle today just doesn't go well with her hat. I would prefer she let her hat down, just like what she did before when she wore something in similar shape.

I had also been wondering if wearing her hair down would have helped the hat, but it might not have helped the dress. I think she just picked a hat with the wrong proportions for her fuller face, and the wider cape. No doubt we'll see it again at some point, and it might look a lot better then if it's paired with a different outfit.

I don’t think this is the dress she wore to Eugenie wedding, if I am not mistaken she took her coat off during the service. Also she was much smaller in frame at Eugenie- still not really showing, vs you can tell her belly is still pretty large a month after birth- so this dress should be tight on her not draped like she is wearing a sack.

She did not. She kept her coat on the entire time. We can’t really tell how her belly is from these photos and the loose fitting coat/cape on the carriage. She arrived at BP by car wearing the same coat she wore to Eugenie’s wedding.

However Charlotte and Louis were her second and third children respectively and Catherine would have already been through the post partum stage before. She would have had a better understanding of her body's changes from pregnancy and nursing so ordering outfits for occasions like Trooping of the Color and Harry's wedding would have been a little easier.

This is Meghan's first experience with her post partum/ possibly nursing mother body. The outfit was likely ordered well before Archie arrived so her measurements were likely "guesstimated" and minor alterations were likely made after he was born.

She's one month post partum after her first child, so the fact that she's there and is dressed appropriately for the occasion is fine IMO. Now I would have preferred a lighter shade of blue or a more spring time color though.

You’re actually making my point more solid.
A woman with as much world experience, supposed passion and understanding for fashion, and access to money as Meghan has, with her body now changing post birth should have made sure a seamstress saw her in the outfit yesterday morning and made adjustments-I men’s I highly The dress was delivered this morning. A good seamstress would have easily been able to do wonders!
This is the same issue she had with the wedding dress and through her pregnancy.

It’s been a year, it’s not even funny anymore.
Also, was there seriously no dark blue dress in her closet that could have fitted her- I mean giving that she loves the color so much I find that a valid question?

I had also been wondering if wearing her hair down would have helped the hat, but it might not have helped the dress. I think she just picked a hat with the wrong proportions for her fuller face, and the wider cape. No doubt we'll see it again at some point, and it might look a lot better then if it's paired with a different outfit.

True, I forget the dress. Maybe too busy with the dress's neckline and sleeves as well as the cape if wearing hair down. :bang:

And I hope she will discover the charisma of brim hat one day:ninja:.

A woman with as much world experience, supposed passion and understanding for fashion, and access to money as Meghan has, with her body now changing post birth should have made sure a seamstress saw her in the outfit yesterday morning and made adjustments-I men’s I highly The dress was delivered this morning. A good seamstress would have easily been able to do wonders!
This is the same issue she had with the wedding dress and through her pregnancy.

Also, was there seriously no dark blue dress in her closet that could have fitted her- I mean giving that she loves the color so much I find that a valid question?
But there is nothing wrong with the fit that required a seamstress. It appears that she choose a design that’s more forgiving for a body that had a baby just slightly over a month ago as it is intended to have a loose fit as we can see by the seams on the cape, or the lack thereof in some areas. As for the dress, I didn’t see anything that tugged or anything in the photo of her behind James. Until I see photos that say otherwise, the fit is fine.

It might not be to people’s taste, which is fine, but I don’t see what a seamstress could’ve done with that outfit.

Last edited:
But there is nothing wrong with the fit that required a seamstress. It appears that she choose a design that’s more forgiving for a body that had a baby just slightly over a month ago as it is intended to have a loose fit as we can see by the seams on the cape, or the lack thereof in some areas. As for the dress, I didn’t see anything that tugged or anything in the photo of her behind James. Until I see photos that say otherwise, the fit is fine.

It might not be to people’s taste, which is fine, but I don’t see what a seamstress could’ve done with that outfit.

Precisely jacqui24-I suspect that Meghan is nursing and at this stage (under 6 weeks post partum) her body is still healing and her measurements are still fluctuating. I suspect that some minor alterations were made recently but most likely the outfit was meant to be a bit on the "larger" scale as Meghan has never been through this experience.

We'll have to agree to disagree. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The British Fashion Council disagrees with this definition of British fashion as they take young and upcoming designers to Paris each year. And have awarded Clare Waight Keller and British Designer of the Year for Womenswear last year. Fact of matter is, we live in a globalized world. And French and Italian fashion aren’t just renowned because of their Houses, but also what their designers have been able to do overseas.

If you were to ask the average British taxpayer I'm sure they would say Givenchy is throughly french.

I'm also pretty sure they'd have no idea who Clare waight Keller is.

Ask the same taxpayer about McQueen and they'd say it's British.

Nice seeing Meghan today. Wish we had a better view of the dress. She looks good post-partum.

If you were to ask the average British taxpayer I'm sure they would say Givenchy is throughly french.

I'm also pretty sure they'd have no idea who Clare waight Keller is.

Ask the same taxpayer about McQueen and they'd say it's British.

So people’s ignorance matters more than facts? That’s the argument we are going with now? I’m fine with that definition if that’s the case. :lol:

I'm glad I never had to appear in public a month after having any of my babies.
Thank you for a little levity! Let’s lighten up just a little folks. Having just had a baby aside, she’s only been in firm for a year though she was an older bride with a lot experience. The DOC as the most recent example of newbie was pilloried for hair in the face, facinators, short skirts, and now she knows what works and is often described as Elegant and regal. Same with Camilla, Sophie, etc.
I think Megan’s hair, natural makeup and hat look nice and well groomed. The earrings do a lot to elevate the look.
I actually do not buy that she cares and is knowledgeable about fashion. She was offered a good money making prospect with it in her career and went with it. Just imo. However, I agree wholeheartedly with Muriel that a U.K. stylist is a must. But we’ve seen that same story with Brf and continental royals too. A little more patience.

The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 3: September 2018 -

I feel like, for me, Meghan gets half a pass today. She didn’t have to attend but she chose to thereby making the decision to be in public less financial 5 weeks after the birth of her son. So you have to take into account both things.

Purely on her outfit, this is a fashion thread, it’s pretty basic and if it’s all new I’m slightly disappointed again because I don’t see why she couldn’t have had a maternity outfit adjusted for this occasion. The fascinator nor her hair does anything for her face. I do feel in part that if you’ve made the decision to be in public, you have to “turn up”.

I simply don’t like the fact she keeps going to Givenchy for outfits at massive patriotic home events. And the frank, they’re not great outfits either. There’s literally no reason for it.

Last edited:
The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 3: September 2018 -

The hat is far too severe, the outfit is quite bland but I didn’t expect anything fancy. It’s lovely to see her.

Agreed. The hat is too severe. It just doesn’t look good. (Her hat last year was far more flattering.)

The navy outfit- not much to say. Bland is a good word for it. I like navy; it just looks so dark next to Camilla and Kate’s light colors. I guess it suits Harry’s black.

What little I’ve been able to see of the dress after she took the jacket off on the balcony- the outfit looks so much better without the jacket. The white sleeves are nice and it seems far less bland. I’d like to see better pictures, but what I can see is a big improvement.

But, it is nice she came.

Last edited:
So people’s ignorance matters more than facts? That’s the argument we are going with now? I’m fine with that definition if that’s the case. :lol:

It is really funny. Back in the 90's and early 2000s, John Galliano was was touted as the second coming of Christ in the British Fashion Industry and in the UK media. Though he had his own label, it was his stunts at Givenchy oh what a surprise for a year and Dior for 15 years that made him an icon and household name. Over that period he was named British Designer of the Year four times, and in a 2004 poll for the BBC, named him the fifth most influential person in British culture. Given the rational presented here, he shouldn't have recieved these kind of acclaim, i mean Dior and Givenchy are french

I just saw another picture of Megan wearing three quarter leather navy gloves in the carriage ride. High marks for gloves, points off for leather this time of year. Shows she is trying. And navy and white, the dress and hat, are classic spring looks here. I attribute the cape, which ruined the look, to nursing accident fears

Btw, is it cold in UK or something? I was wondering why Meghan wore the coat she wore to Eugenie’s wedding in the car ride to BP. But now I see Beatrice with a blanket over her lap in the carriage.

Btw, is it cold in UK or something? I was wondering why Meghan wore the coat she wore to Eugenie’s wedding in the car ride to BP. But now I see Beatrice with a blanket over her lap in the carriage.

It’s about 11-14’C and rain was predicted today.

Yep. And people like the DM writers feed the people's ignorance. They gloss over the British design talent. Unfortunately some readers are a bit sheep like, and believe just what they read. They cant be bothered to know that CWK is a British designer (even though she won the British design award).

The design houses are not the only sources of money from the fashion industry. The shops that sell the products employ people in the UK. The schools that train these designers bring a great deal of money into the economy both in tuition as well as the money they spend living there.

I think people will sadly find that Meghan never turns into a country wife they expect her to be. The traditional 'seasonal colors' and styles. This is not an European thing, this is an old tradition that modern fashion certainly has moved away from. Again she dresses no differently then many of the royal ladies on the continent. Kate's style is not 'British style' or even 'royal wardrobe'. It's Kate's style.

I hate Meghan's headpiece. I hate all fascinators. I wish she would wear a proper hat like Camilla one day if she has to wear a headpiece. Doesn't matter the size, I don't like any fascinators.

The navy and white dress looks simple but pretty. The white breaks up the dark blue to make it more day time. Miss it on the balcony.

Unlike Kate Meghan has not had months to get used to dressing her post baby body. She had months after George was born to do so. Charlotte and Louis just as soon as Archie true, but her second and third pregnancy.

She is not alone in the blue and white. Countess of St Andrews is rocking the same color scheme though more white. And both Louise and Zenouska are wearing darker shades of blue (Zenouska lighter in parts).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom