The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 3: September 2018 - June 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Alexander McQueen is not British owned any longer and is currently one of Kering Holland NV brands and, until May this year, Stella McCartney was 50% owned by Kering Holland NV. SM purchased Kering's share back.

I think that if clothes designed by Clare Waight Keller don't pass the 'British' test then neither should those of Sarah Burton of McQueen's as both fashion houses are foreign owned.

I am quite sure that when Harry proposed to her one of the things they knew she would have to give up were any clothes not made in the UK nor made by companies not owned by the UK. Amanda Wakely repurchased her brand back in 2009 and Stella McCartney became the sole brand owner in May this year.

Alexander McQueen is a British brand that’s foreign owned. It was founded by a Brit, it’s headquarters are in London. That’s completely different to Givenchy and Clare Waight Keller.

You can dismiss the DM if you like but The Telegraph, easily the most pro monarchy newspaper in Britain, criticised Meghan for wearing givenchy on the balcony at BP. So clearly their not buying the argument that because CWK is at Givenchy, it all of a sudden makes it ‘British’.

She didn't wear Givenchy for RAF 100. In fact, I don't believe she has worn Givenchy on the BP balcony.

And any Alexander McQueen profit goes straight into French pockets, so to speak. And in this day and age, most world renown brands are going to have some presence in London, and thus have employees on British soil.

And in this day and age, it is sometimes difficult to determine how to categorize the independent designer brands. For example, Telegraph decided Roland Mouret is British brand (same article has also expressed my previous point about the lack of British brands that aren't "spoken" for at major royal events, btw). But is Roand Mouret really British? He's French born. He spent a big part of his career in London, that's true. But he has flagship stores in both London and New York. He's had shows both in London and France. We don't know how the company is structured because it's private. And if we are to count Roland Mouret as British, then yes, the number goes up.

Last edited:
Duchess of Sussex, wore a blush, off-the-shoulder, buttoned Carolina Herrera skirt suit, paired with a Philip Treacy hat.

No Givenchy at the Trooping.

LaRae

I’m sorry. It wasn’t Givenchy but a custom Dior dress for RAF 100. Meghan wears so much high end French clothes I’m getting them mixed up. The criticism of wearing a famous French design at such a British event remains though. She was called on that.

Alexander McQueen is a British brand that’s foreign owned. It was founded by a Brit, it’s headquarters are in London. That’s completely different to Givenchy and Clare Waight Keller.

You can dismiss the DM if you like but The Telegraph, easily the most pro monarchy newspaper in Britain, criticised Meghan for wearing givenchy on the balcony at BP. So clearly their not buying the argument that because CWK is at Givenchy, it all of a sudden makes it ‘British’.
Just because a mouse is born in a British biscuit box does not make it a British Biscuit.

The Duchess of Sussex is Prince Harry's American bride, she is not his Buy British show pony, a living breathing, walking, talking advertisement. How demeaning. She is is an intelligent, articulate, educated woman and I have no doubt that she will acquire more and more British made clothing, if for no other reason that she lives in London. What I do know is those she does buy will be purchased because they suit her and not to appease the DM, et al rabble.

I have a feeling folks will have to learn to get over Meghan wearing non-British designers ...and I think it's nit picky to begin with. For all the reasons already brought up. I think should be perfectly acceptable for her to wear a mix of Brit designs with Foreign designs. The Treacy hat with the Herrera dress...why is that a problem?

LaRae

Just because a mouse is born in a British biscuit box does not make it a British Biscuit.

The Duchess of Sussex is Prince Harry's American bride, she is not his Buy British show pony, a living breathing, walking, talking advertisement. How demeaning. She is is an intelligent, articulate, educated woman and I have no doubt that she will acquire more and more British made clothing, if for no other reason that she lives in London. What I do know is those she does buy will be purchased because they suit her and not to appease the DM, et al rabble.

:D:D Just because a cat has kittens in the oven it doesn't make them biscuits!!!

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:

Wouldn't it be a British mouse? :hiding:

The Duchess should shortly be able to wear Chanel 'with a clear conscience', given that the House is leaving Paris [after 100 years] and henceforth with be Headquartered in London....

BRAVO. First intelligent statement about her clothes I have read in a long time. People are different and that difference should be enjoyed not pulled apart. Meghan's taste is hers and will probably change a bit in time along with other fashion designers begging her to wear their clothes so that their designs are immediately sold out in less than 24 hours. This nonsense is probably so foreign to Meghan's way of thinking about her clothes that she and Harry laugh about it in private. Give her a break. She didn't run to England and purchase tons of British made clothes prior to her dating or engagement. She bought exactly what she wanted or what was already in her closet and wore them. I doubt she is the type to just throw them out now that she is living in another country and those citizens might be insulted by their origin.

Wouldn't it be a British mouse? :hiding:
Ah no! In short, just because a gown is made by McQueen in the UK it doesn't make it British if the only thing British is the NAME of the fashion house.

No 35 very good post Marg. And we must remember it is Not a Rule that female members of the BRF wear British only designs. That is something that the media harps on.
At the moment Meghan is building up a working wardrobe and that takes time. Fashion is not a high priority for her.

Last night we had a tv doco on Meghan her first 100 days after the wedding. It was ok even tho (my spelling) they keep perpetuating the same mistakes. (Making a fuss) Such as the crossing of legs at the young leaders awards group photo. Meghan crossed her legs in exactly THE CORRECT and acceptable way for a royal lady.

No 35 very good post Marg. And we must remember it is Not a Rule that female members of the BRF wear British only designs. That is something that the media harps on.

It's not just the media that harps on it. Royal fans are just as vocal when it comes to what royals wear. Meghan isn't the first and won't be the last to have to deal with questions about how much her clothes cost and whether she's wearing enough British designers.

What I do know is those she does buy will be purchased because they suit her and not to appease the DM, et al rabble.

Very true. We all obviously have our opinions about the clothes that royals wear (boring, not colorful enough, matronly, etc), but in the end it's about what they like and what makes them feel comfortable.

Last edited:
Something I’ve been curious about for awhile.
It seems that it’s predominantly Americans who don’t understand why Meghan would be expected to champion British products. Is this such a foreign concept in the US?
In Europe it seems the norm that royals/presidents/prime ministers/first ladies will promote local and home-grown.
Croatia currently has a female president and she wears Croatian designers and shoes and gives out Croatian chocolates at Christmas, etc. During the recent French state visit to Denmark, Mrs. Macron wore only French designers. This is also how almost all European royals do it.
I’m surprised this would be anything unusual or unexpected in regards to Meghan. Seems like royaling/public servant 101 to me.

Personally, I think the opinion of any non-Brit (including me) on this topic is ultimately irrelevant.
If average Americans/Croats/Italians/Argentinians/whatever have a negative view of Meghan it has no impact on her life. I’d venture that average Brits having a negative view of Meghan would have a huge impact on her life. And to most people it won’t make a difference if it’s a fact or a narrative perpetuated by tabloids. There are other royals who were heavily criticised for wearing too much foreign labels and they quickly changed their ways.

(Just for the record, since I’m not British, I don’t care which designers she wears or how much her clothes cost. I just care how she looks in those clothes.)

Last edited:
Meghan and Doria both look lovely.

I love the color of the coat on Meghan, and the dress looks lovely, too. That shade of blue is such a wonderful color on her.

I love the color of the coat on Meghan, and the dress looks lovely, too. That shade of blue is such a wonderful color on her.
I agree, she looked lovely. Must have been hot in that coat, it's 20 degrees C / 70 degrees F in London today - hardly coat weather.

I agree, she looked lovely. Must have been hot in that coat, it's 20 degrees C / 70 degrees F in London today - hardly coat weather.

It's actually very windy this afternoon. Really, quite chilly. Or maybe it's because I am always cold - but I was walking home earlier and I was definitely bundled up. haha

I'm kind of surprised. It looked quite windy. Doria is nicely bundled up too with the sweater and wrap. She took it off later, but she even kept it on when she was helping getting the food onto the serving dish.

I'm kind of surprised. It looked quite windy. Doria is nicely bundled up too with the sweater and wrap. She took it off later, but she even kept it on when she was helping getting the food onto the serving dish.
Just been out in shirt sleeves, no cardigan and jacket. I am about 2 miles from KP.

It's actually very windy this afternoon. Really, quite chilly. Or maybe it's because I am always cold - but I was walking home earlier and I was definitely bundled up. haha
Windy, not chilly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely that Meghan had her mum with her. I like that shade of blue on Meghan, fabulous coat. Doria looked great. She enjoys wearing different shades to black, ha ha. But Meghan looked smashing anyway!

Doria is in neutrals. May be where Meghan gets that style aesthetic.

It seems that it’s predominantly Americans who don’t understand why Meghan would be expected to champion British products. Is this such a foreign concept in the US?
In Europe it seems the norm that royals/presidents/prime ministers/first ladies will promote local and home-grown.
Croatia currently has a female president and she wears Croatian designers and shoes and gives out Croatian chocolates at Christmas, etc. During the recent French state visit to Denmark, Mrs. Macron wore only French designers. This is also how almost all European royals do it.
I’m surprised this would be anything unusual or unexpected in regards to Meghan. Seems like royaling/public servant 101 to me.

Personally, I think the opinion of any non-Brit (including me) on this topic is ultimately irrelevant.
If average Americans/Croats/Italians/Argentinians/whatever have a negative view of Meghan it has no impact on her life. I’d venture that average Brits having a negative view of Meghan would have a huge impact on her life. And to most people it won’t make a difference if it’s a fact or a narrative perpetuated by tabloids. There are other royals who were heavily criticised for wearing too much foreign labels and they quickly changed their ways.

(Just for the record, since I’m not British, I don’t care which designers she wears or how much her clothes cost. I just care how she looks in those clothes.)
Not all European countries are the same. Queen Máxima wears mostly Belgian (although she tends to pick Jan Taminiau for her most important outfits). The Luxembourgish ladies also wear mainly foreign brands (not sure whether there is a Luxembourgian established designer). Mette Marit's favorite designer is the Italian Valentino etc.

You know, I think you have a point. I don’t think she has to wear British brands all the time, but hopefully she’ll incorporate them more frequent than she has so far post-wedding. I think it’s important for any Royal of any country to do so. I also think that it’s better to be more sensitive to the fact that she is a British Royal now and some in the British public may not like her wearing so many foreign brands. I think it’s a fair criticism or concern. Not everyone will agree but that’s ok.

I like her outfit today! She wears this particular shade of blue very well.

Not all European countries are the same. Queen Máxima wears mostly Belgian (although she tends to pick Jan Taminiau for her most important outfits). The Luxembourgish ladies also wear mainly foreign brands (not sure whether there is a Luxembourgian established designer). Mette Marit's favorite designer is the Italian Valentino etc.

Please note the words ‘’almost all’’ in my post. I’m well aware of Maxima’s irrational obsession with Natan:ermm:, but even she mixes up Dutch designers. Monaco and Luxembourg are exempt, imo, since I don’t think there are that many local bands they can wear. And I believe Mette-Marit is among those who received criticism for their wardrobe choices, there’s a lot more Norwegian and Scandinavian brands nowadays.

Today, I loved Meghan’s coat, don’t like the skirt at all. My grandmother wore a lot of similar skirts after she was widowed.

Last edited:
Just been out in shirt sleeves, no cardigan and jacket. I am about 2 miles from KP.

Windy, not chilly.

Maybe she just wanted to give us a pop of color then. ?

Please note the words ‘’almost all’’ in my post. I’m well aware of Maxima’s irrational obsession with Natan:ermm:, but even she mixes up Dutch designers. Monaco and Luxembourg are exempt, imo, since I don’t think there are that many local bands they can wear. And I believe Mette-Marit is among those who received criticism for their wardrobe choices, there’s a lot more Norwegian and Scandinavian brands nowadays.

Today, I loved Meghan’s coat, don’t like the skirt at all. My grandmother wore a lot of similar skirts after she was widowed.

As you presented it as the norm, I pointed out that it isn't as widespread as it might seem. If already 4 (or 5 if we include Liechtenstein as well) countries aren't that strict about the norm, I am not sure that it can be considered a European norm. However, I agree that in several countries (specifically Denmark, Spain, Sweden, Belgium and the UK) the royals seem to promote designers of their own country. In other countries it is also appreciated but it's not that big of an issue.

Wasn't M-M's criticism not mainly related to the cost? A criticism that will be familiar to Meghan as well (and which has some merit imo).

Especially foreign-born Mary made it a point to do so as part of becoming a Danish crown princess. I don't know whether the same applied to her foreign sisters-in-laws who are in a comparable position as Meghan. Anyone?

Last edited:
Given that you presented it as the norm, I pointed out that it isn't as widespread as it might seem. If already 4 (or 5 if we include Liechtenstein as well) countries aren't that strict about the norm, I am not sure that it can be considered a European norm. However, I agree that in several countries (specifically Denmark, Spain, Sweden, Belgium and the UK) it is appreciated if royals wear designers of their own country. In other countries they still like it but it's not that big of an issue.

Wasn't M-M's criticism not mainly related to the cost? A criticism that will be familiar to Meghan as well (and which has some merit imo).

Especially foreign-born Mary made it a point to do so as part of becoming a Danish crown princess. I don't know whether the same applied to her foreign sisters-in-laws who are in a comparable position as Meghan. Anyone?

The cost is an issue for most royal women, I think. But I honestly think if they wore clothes with an average person's budget, people would take issues with it. It also depends on the event. And of course re-wears. As much as some like to claim Meghan doesn't do re-wears, she does. In fact, in that documentary about the Queen, she wore the same dress and it confused people to say it was done before the wedding, but it wasn't. She's also done re-wears before even marrying. She has also re-worn a number of accessories. And she hasn't even been London a year yet.

I think Mary was criticized as wearing too much Prada early on? That's what someone mentioned, but I don't really follow Mary close enough to know for sure.

Great look for the Duchess tope and skirt are beautiful the blue coat is my favorite that shade of blue is lovely on Meghan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom