The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 3: September 2018 - June 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like the outfit.

The graduates themselves are just wearing white coach core T-shirts. I think a more casual outfit would have looked better.

Has Meghan cut her hair or something, it looks completely different for this event.

Well, her hair looks different because she is not doing keratin treatments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe.... just maybe after consulting with her new family that actually are working royals and with advisors and those that are "in the know", she's come to realize that it really isn't that big of a deal and has been told to wear whatever she is comfortable wearing.

As Charles foots the wardrobe bill, if there were complaints about a lack of British designers and labels, Meghan would comply. I'm sure of that.

JMO of course.
Or the bosses at work (ie, the Queen and Charles) are deliberately being quiet, hoping she will work it out for herself.

I really like the top but not for this outing, it just looks off.
Also the heels look silly at such an event.

I never like the combination of navy blue and black. I don't like it on her either. Both pieces are fine, but in a different color palette it would have stood out a little more.

Don't really care for the way she did her hair either. The front layers and the way it's styled at the roots is not her best look.

It just morphs into a solid dark mass of an outfit. Perhaps a brighter top and something besides a narrow heel.

The color of the top is nice..but I don't think it goes with the black pant. A lighter blue maybe.

LaRae

On the plus side, the trousers are at least hemmed to an appropriate length, although I agree that stilettos on that floor and the potential for damaging it makes me wince.

The top is fine (I'd like to see it in better photos) the hair is fine, the overall ensemble is dark as per usual, but also fine.

In fact, nothing much to get excited about. She's clothed.

On the plus side, the trousers are at least hemmed to an appropriate length, although I agree that stilettos on that floor and the potential for damaging it makes me wince.

The top is fine (I'd like to see it in better photos) the hair is fine, the overall ensemble is dark as per usual, but also fine.

Lots of pics on Twitter ...it's a nice enough top although I think all that drapey fabric around her hips is not overly flattering. It's just nothing special.

LaRae

Ok refresh my memory..these are done to straighten the hair?

How can you tell she's not doing them?

Just recently she was doing something and her hair was very sleek and straight/shiny.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:

Just recently she was doing something and her hair was very sleek and straight/shiny.

LaRae

It's a hair treatment for us curly girls, yes. It's pretty obvious when someone has not been doing them after having been very careful with keeping up the regiment for the better part of the past decade. There are some HQ photos floating around. You have to look to her roots and edges, not the rest of her hair - those can still be sleek and straight - but those baby hairs rarely lie when someone has been skipping treatments. I don't think we should necessarily speculate until there is an official announcement, but let's just say, there are certain 'times' when it is advised against.
So, if my haphazard guess is correct, I reckon we'll be seeing some careful hair manoeuvring and unusual hairstyles until that announcement comes. Or she is just taking a small break for other reasons and the glossy roots will be back in no time. :)

ETA: expanded a bit more for context

Last edited:
It's a hair treatment for us curly girls, yes. It's very obvious when someone has not been doing them after having been very careful with keeping up the regiment for the better part of the past decade. There are some HQ photos floating around where it's especially obvious at the very top and near her edges. They are at least 4 weeks out, in my estimation(very likely even longer). I don't think we should necessarily speculate until there is an official announcement but there are certain 'times' when it is advised against.

So, I reckon we'll be seeing some careful hair manoeuvring and unusual hairstyles until that announcement comes.

Very interesting context, thank you for explaining.

LaRae

It's not forever, it has to be done every so often. It's been forever since I've done anything semi-permanent to my hair to get the frizz out (I usually stick to a flat iron these days since my hair isn't that bad), so someone else can probably give a better idea of how long. But usually it's a few months.

It's a hair treatment for us curly girls, yes. It's pretty obvious when someone has not been doing them after having been very careful with keeping up the regiment for the better part of the past decade. There are some HQ photos floating. You have to look to her roots and edges, not the rest of her hair - those can still be sleek and straight - but those baby hairs rarely lie when someone has been skipping treatments. I don't think we should necessarily speculate until there is an official announcement, but let's just say, there are certain 'times' when it is advised against.
So, I reckon we'll be seeing some careful hair manoeuvring and unusual hairstyles until that announcement comes.

Honestly, her hair looked like she took a flat iron to it today. However, when your hair have a certain amount of curliness or frizz, it has a slightly different effect if you use a flat iron. That's what it looked like to me.

Last edited:
It's a hair treatment for us curly girls, yes. It's pretty obvious when someone has not been doing them after having been very careful with keeping up the regiment for the better part of the past decade. There are some HQ photos floating. You have to look to her roots and edges, not the rest of her hair - those can still be sleek and straight - but those baby hairs rarely lie when someone has been skipping treatments. I don't think we should necessarily speculate until there is an official announcement, but let's just say, there are certain 'times' when it is advised against.

Thanks! I knew about the certain times thing...not to mention I got the inference in the post on the previous page....I just couldn't remember for sure if the treatment was for hair straightening.

I'm guessing a person would want to stop said treatments (just to be on the safe side) for awhile prior to attempting to get into a 'certain condition'.

Interesting. The trip to the Zika areas is the only thing that makes me think we aren't going to see any attempts until after they are back for a little while at least.

LaRae

The top looks nice, although I agree on the not so great combination with black. I guess this is Meghan trying to dress down but she should probably get rid of both the stilettos and of wearing Oscar de la Renta to 'dress down'.

I am guessing the reason she didn't wear a simple top like Harry is because they are presenting awards after a bit there. But still...the heels are (for me) the worst choice for the venue.

LaRae

I didn't think the heels are a problem if she's dressed for it with the clothes (which she is). Although, this is someone that wore heels when our school had pep rallies (trust me, those floors are fine).

Last edited:
I like this outfit but think something more sporty would have been better.

I also think the top, while super cute, is way too expensive.

And her hair definitely looks like she just flat ironed it versus had it treated. But I like it!

Last edited:
Stilettos for this event, seriously?!
I agree with most posters - why overpriced foreign designers, again?
The hair looks terrible, almost like a wig.

Not keen on ANY of it..

In the still photo's, it almost looks like the unsuccessful attempts of a trainee 'Windowdresser' in a Department Store Window... [the hair adds to that impression].

Last edited:
I like the outfit, but it is too overdone for this type of event. Her hair looks great!

I wonder if many of her outfits are clothes she had before her marriage to Harry. As an actress (was), I bet she has lots of foreign designer clothes, and it's obvious she won't (I wouldn't) throw the clothes to the trash even if married into royalty. Why not continue using them even with royal engagements? I doubt she still buys this overpriced designers often these days, she might just be recycling her old clothes.

I usually like straight hair, but not on Meghan today. It looks a bit messy, all over the face. But nice try for something different. But maybe next time.

I wonder if many of her outfits are clothes she had before her marriage to Harry.

They're not. All the high-end designers are either new collection or bespoke, which she wouldn’t have had before. This top, for example, is from Resort 2019 collection. Some of the things she’s worn is so new it’s not even available yet, like the recent Jason Wu dress.

There have been a few dresses which might be from before, but those are all cheaper and usually Canadian or American designers, not the likes of bespoke Prada, Dior or Givenchy.

And most of those red carpet designers celebrities wear are on loan, so none of them own them anyway.

I like the top very much, just not sure it’s the best choice for Meghan’s short waist and boxy torso.

I hate navy with black on anyone, so that’s a no for me. The stilettos on that floor are making me want to send the maintainance person a sympathy card. There’s plenty of high heels with a block heel, if she’s against flats or wedges for some reason.
https://images.prod.meredith.com/pr...delora-black-pointed-block-heeled-shoes-black

Last edited:
I think her hair got caught in humid conditions.

i like the navy top but i find the extra detailling in the front unflattering
overally it's nice outfit

I agree Ista. She can move around and participate with the students and coaches at the event, so IMO it's fine.

I like this silhouette on her a lot. It does seem a touch fancy for a sporting event, but I do get the distinct impression she purposely does that to underline that she's not going to follow Kate's lead and participate in demonstrations. As someone who is embarassingly bad at traditional sports, I can absolutely get behind creative avoidance of such endeavors.
I have to agree, the silhouette does look good and I have a feeling the 'me and sports' deal may be spot on. As one whose tennis prowess was along the lines of "ball meets racket, both shudder and fall to the ground", I would never dress to invite offers to play too.

I like the style, it looks a little casual and yet dressy enough to look smart when awarding prizes. As for the heels, as a five-foot-nothing woman, you had better believe I wore 'high' heels almost all the time.

Meghan's makeup and hair were really nice although I have to admit I prefer her hair with waves when she wears it down.

I like the outfit but even with the awards perhaps too dressy. Maybe different shoes or accessorized differently could make look more appropriate.

Definitely different shoes as those spiky heels are going to damage the floor.

A few off-topic posts have been deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom