The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
I meant that she had purposely bought some especially fine clothing in anticipation of her soon-to-be-Royal status. It’s possible the Buy British idea didn’t occur to her, and it’s unlikely Harry would have known to tell her. ‘Say, honey, you’re going to have to return the Valentinos and the Diors.’
Tempest in a teapot...
I understood what you were saying, and I think it is an interesting idea. She certainly had/has enough money to indulge herself in those kind of clothes if she chose.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:29 PM
Aristocracy

I'm Team Meghan should wear what she wants, but I don't think much of her post-wedding wardrobe was purchased while she was still living in Canada. The Givenchy relationship clearly developed after the engagement announcement. And quite a few of the new outfits have been bespoke or adaptations from designer catalogues that have yet to be released to the public. She shopped her closet pretty extensively during the engagement appearances, less so since. Jewelry and accessories have been the exception.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:20 PM
Nobility

Meghan wore more British brands,was recycling more and wore a good mix of high street and luxury brands and clothes relevant to the local region she was visiting during the engagement period (the tartan in Edinburgh, the top prince of wales check when she visited wales and huit denim jeans(a local welsh brand).

Her clothing strategy was much more sound, thoughtful and in-line to what we usually expect from the royals during the engagement period so no one was too bothered when she wore a bit more Canadian brands because you could tell she was putting in the effort to incorporate more British brands in her wardrobe but since the wedding this the careful thought and strategy seems to be completely lost.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:50 AM
Majesty

My first thought is . . . it's the Daily Mail!

Meghan's innate style is part of who she is, just as each of us styles our wardrobe according to our wallets but seldom according to Made In My Country. But, there is no getting past how we dress being an external expression of our inner selves and Meghan is just the same. That is the woman she is and the woman that Harry fell in love with and married. I doubt he expects her to turn into a Catherine Clone.

With Sophie, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie added to the mix I think it is not going to be easy for Meghan to find her niche and I can just hear the claims of imitating this or that royal, nasty comments when she does wear UK designers (who could forget the sarcastic sniping over her Burberry coat). I recently saw a short documentary about Autumn's transition and she talked about how different Canada was from the UK so I find Meghan's culture shock perfectly normal since pre-Canada she was a typical Californian girl.

At those levels, when she went out she dressed in different designers that suited her because there is no great insistence that an American Actress should wear Made in the USA and she was free to dress as Meghan Markle. When she married she got a wedding ring, not a personality transplant! She doesn't know who really makes what in the UK like the other royal women so she "plays it safe" and sticks to what she knows. The day she wears Erdem she will be accused of trying to outshine any or all of the royal women. Damned if she does, damned if she doesn't.

Personally, I am enjoying her fashion journey and will continue to watch with interest as she is introduced to more UK designers as well as Canadian and other Commonwealth ones as well. I really liked her Ireland tour wardrobe because it did not dominate and drown out the dialogue.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Actually, this makes sense that a lot of her fashions were bought previously in anticipation of the move to the UK. It used to be the norm that an engaged woman would shop and put together her trousseau in preparation for marriage.

She's only been married since May and most likely her working wardrobe on Charles' dime began then also. She's not going to instantly have British designers' clothing off the rack but its possible that as her engagement diary begins to fill up (and they're usually scheduled quite a ways in advance), ordering and being fitted for appropriate outfits also come into play. This would be the time to consider to highlight British fabrics and British designers or clothing appropriate to the occasion.

It takes a while. I don't think Meghan goes snuffling through the clothing departments in stores or orders outfits ready made online like a lot of us women do these days.

Give it time.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...h-fashion.html

Bottom line is, Meghan is different from the other royals brides. She is foreign. She comes from a different background, and that includes a different fashion scene. It is what it is.
All of this, IMO, makes it that much more important for Meghan to be seen to be working for the British, and not just somebody who is willing to spend tens of thousands on international haute couture.

She is entitled to the "different fashion scene" in private, but whilst out representing the BRF, she really has no business to only wear foreign labels.

Its a simple own goal, and one she commits every time she steps out in her foreign clothes. If the DM numbers are right, 2/24, ie less than 10% of her clothes since the wedding have been from British fashion houses. Surely even her most die hard fans would see the point.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:53 PM
Heir Apparent

She’s worn more British accessories even though they don’t count that here, but will certain count that as clothing when rallying the cost.

As for clothing, there is value in her promoting Clare Waight Keller even though she works for a French house. Especially in the Brexit situation. I don’t think anyone would be against spread the good word about Britain to the rest of the world. Talents like CWK, who is raised and educated in Britain, is flying the British flag high abroad by being hired at such a high position in a historic house. Her success is not only tied to Givenchy, but a representation of the education she got in Britain.

That and Meghan seems to get less abuse when she doesn’t wear British, unfortunately. Some of us remember too well what has happened when she has worn Burberry or carried Mulburry bag or worn Hunter boots or Barbour jacket.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:04 PM
Majesty

Givenchy is 1000% French. That the designer happens to be British I don’t thing resonates much with people. If I buy a Ferrari, I’m buying an Italian sports car. If the CEO happens to be Canadian, it doesn’t make the car Canadian.

Meghan can wear what she wants and let chips fall where they may, sort of speak. The coverage won’t be positive though if she’s out there representing Britain in French and American designs.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:06 PM
Majesty

Alexander McQueen is not British owned any longer and is currently one of Kering Holland NV brands and, until May this year, Stella McCartney was 50% owned by Kering Holland NV. SM purchased Kering's share back.

I think that if clothes designed by Clare Waight Keller don't pass the 'British' test then neither should those of Sarah Burton of McQueen's as both fashion houses are foreign owned.

I am quite sure that when Harry proposed to her one of the things they knew she would have to give up was not any clothes not made in the UK nor made by companies not owned by the UK. Amanda Wakely repurchased her brand back in 2009 and Stella McCartney only became the sole brand owner in May this year.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Look, this clothing thing is a matter of time before she wears more British designers as she spends more time in UK. At least then you know she means it rather than just because she had to, which people would accuse of her if she wear a lot of British brands at the very beginning. She also likes the personal connection in an old school kind of way.

Anyways, if I had to say two of my favor British brands for her to wear in the future? Osman, one of my personal favorite brand. And if she ever thinks about wearing an Erdem again, she should think again, put it back, and go for a Richard Quinn.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Alexander McQueen is not British owned any longer and is currently one of Kering Holland NV brands and, until May this year, Stella McCartney was 50% owned by Kering Holland NV. SM purchased Kering's share back.

I think that if clothes designed by Clare Waight Keller don't pass the 'British' test then neither should those of Sarah Burton of McQueen's as both fashion houses are foreign owned.

I am quite sure that when Harry proposed to her one of the things they knew she would have to give up were any clothes not made in the UK nor made by companies not owned by the UK. Amanda Wakely repurchased her brand back in 2009 and Stella McCartney became the sole brand owner in May this year.
Alexander McQueen is a British brand that’s foreign owned. It was founded by a Brit, it’s headquarters are in London. That’s completely different to Givenchy and Clare Waight Keller.

You can dismiss the DM if you like but The Telegraph, easily the most pro monarchy newspaper in Britain, criticised Meghan for wearing givenchy on the balcony at BP. So clearly their not buying the argument that because CWK is at Givenchy, it all of a sudden makes it ‘British’.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:51 PM
Heir Apparent

She didn't wear Givenchy for RAF 100. In fact, I don't believe she has worn Givenchy on the BP balcony.

And any Alexander McQueen profit goes straight into French pockets, so to speak. And in this day and age, most world renown brands are going to have some presence in London, and thus have employees on British soil.

And in this day and age, it is sometimes difficult to determine how to categorize the independent designer brands. For example, Telegraph decided Roland Mouret is British brand (same article has also expressed my previous point about the lack of British brands that aren't "spoken" for at major royal events, btw). But is Roand Mouret really British? He's French born. He spent a big part of his career in London, that's true. But he has flagship stores in both London and New York. He's had shows both in London and France. We don't know how the company is structured because it's private. And if we are to count Roland Mouret as British, then yes, the number goes up.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Duchess of Sussex, wore a blush, off-the-shoulder, buttoned Carolina Herrera skirt suit, paired with a Philip Treacy hat.

No Givenchy at the Trooping.

LaRae
Old 09-16-2018, 10:41 PM
Majesty

I’m sorry. It wasn’t Givenchy but a custom Dior dress for RAF 100. Meghan wears so much high end French clothes I’m getting them mixed up. The criticism of wearing a famous French design at such a British event remains though. She was called on that.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Alexander McQueen is a British brand that’s foreign owned. It was founded by a Brit, it’s headquarters are in London. That’s completely different to Givenchy and Clare Waight Keller.

You can dismiss the DM if you like but The Telegraph, easily the most pro monarchy newspaper in Britain, criticised Meghan for wearing givenchy on the balcony at BP. So clearly their not buying the argument that because CWK is at Givenchy, it all of a sudden makes it ‘British’.
Just because a mouse is born in a British biscuit box does not make it a British Biscuit.

The Duchess of Sussex is Prince Harry's American bride, she is not his Buy British show pony, a living breathing, walking, talking advertisement. How demeaning. She is is an intelligent, articulate, educated woman and I have no doubt that she will acquire more and more British made clothing, if for no other reason that she lives in London. What I do know is those she does buy will be purchased because they suit her and not to appease the DM, et al rabble.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

I have a feeling folks will have to learn to get over Meghan wearing non-British designers ...and I think it's nit picky to begin with. For all the reasons already brought up. I think should be perfectly acceptable for her to wear a mix of Brit designs with Foreign designs. The Treacy hat with the Herrera dress...why is that a problem?

LaRae

Quote:
Just because a mouse is born in a British biscuit box does not make it a British Biscuit.

The Duchess of Sussex is Prince Harry's American bride, she is not his Buy British show pony, a living breathing, walking, talking advertisement. How demeaning. She is is an intelligent, articulate, educated woman and I have no doubt that she will acquire more and more British made clothing, if for no other reason that she lives in London. What I do know is those she does buy will be purchased because they suit her and not to appease the DM, et al rabble.

Just because a cat has kittens in the oven it doesn't make them biscuits!!!

LaRae
Old 09-16-2018, 11:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Wouldn't it be a British mouse?
Old 09-17-2018, 04:22 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duchess should shortly be able to wear Chanel 'with a clear conscience', given that the House is leaving Paris [after 100 years] and henceforth with be Headquartered in London....
Old 09-17-2018, 09:43 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

BRAVO. First intelligent statement about her clothes I have read in a long time. People are different and that difference should be enjoyed not pulled apart. Meghan's taste is hers and will probably change a bit in time along with other fashion designers begging her to wear their clothes so that their designs are immediately sold out in less than 24 hours. This nonsense is probably so foreign to Meghan's way of thinking about her clothes that she and Harry laugh about it in private. Give her a break. She didn't run to England and purchase tons of British made clothes prior to her dating or engagement. She bought exactly what she wanted or what was already in her closet and wore them. I doubt she is the type to just throw them out now that she is living in another country and those citizens might be insulted by their origin.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Wouldn't it be a British mouse?
Ah no! In short, just because a gown is made by McQueen in the UK it doesn't make it British if the only thing British is the NAME of the fashion house.