The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 3: September 2018 - June 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that the Duchess of Sussex is in Navy Blue today. Haven't got a good look at it yet.

I don't think the hat 'flatters'.. its very severe across the forehead..

The hat is far too severe, the outfit is quite bland but I didn’t expect anything fancy. It’s lovely to see her.

Dress by Claire Waight Keller, hat by Noel Stewart

It is lovely to see Meghan back. I don't mind the hat. She doesn't usually go for big hats. Also, I don't think she likes to stand out colour-wise at these things and some of the other royals aren't wearing pastel outfits, either.

Dress by Claire Waight Keller, hat by Noel Stewart
By Clare Waight Keller or Givenchy?

It's hard to judge the dress from these photos, but it looks elegant. The hat is a bit weird and the dark colour doesn't fit the occasion for me, but the smile is on point. It's very nice to see Meghan happy and well, parenthood looks very good on her!

So far all I've seen is Claire Waight Keller listed.

LaRae

So far all I've seen is Claire Waight Keller listed.

LaRae
That's interesting, thanks!

I know what bothers me about the hat - the thingy looks to me like a golden snitch from Harry Potter and it's totally distracting :lol:

That hat is extremely unflattering, I've liked some of her previous beret-type hats much better. It's hard to give any opinion on the dress, perhaps the balcony pictures will give some additional detail. In any case, it's nice to see her again!

It is lovely to see Meghan back. I don't mind the hat. She doesn't usually go for big hats. Also, I don't think she likes to stand out colour-wise at these things and some of the other royals aren't wearing pastel outfits, either.

Except since most ladies of the royal family wear bright colors most of the time, Meghan use of dark blue and black does the exact opposite and causes her to stand out. So at this point, that is a year in, it’s no longer possible and credible to believe that she is doing this to not draw attention to herself. You’d have to be insanely thick to not get it for it to not be done on purpose.

Even today, besides Lady Louise- who is a mere teenager, every lady was wearing bright colors (FYI Lady Louise: her blue was a couple shades lighter than Meghan’s)... making Meghan actually stand out in the carriage (and in the balcony once she makes it there). A light bright color- why not a lighter shade of blue? Baby blue or Arabian blue, aquamarine or marine, would have actually made her assimilate well in with all the other bright colors.

At first I liked the outfit but closer pictures shows it is once again ill fitted.
A seamstress was needed here, desperately. Or just a different outfit.
I don’t understand paying sooo much for a couture outfit and it not fit you like a glove.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fem
That hat is extremely unflattering, I've liked some of her previous beret-type hats much better. It's hard to give any opinion on the dress, perhaps the balcony pictures will give some additional detail. In any case, it's nice to see her again!

A miss for the Duchess of Sussex. The whole outfit is unflattering.

The colour is nice but I don't like the hat,we might get a better view on the balcony.

She just sticks to these beret/cocktail style (*sigh*). Usual color and design we have seen from her, but I would prefer the hat she wore to Eugenie's wedding.

The outfit is much better without the jacket-thing.

Now that's seen more of the outfit on the balcony, it's really appropriate for a post-pregnancy adjusting body. I love the white on the shoulders of the dress.

The hat is just "ok" in my opinion.

I think it's a cute hat, but maybe with a different hairstyle?

The dress is just blah. Still, she recently had a baby, so I don't want to be too critical.

Yeah the dress is okay...basic shift style I think..but Archie is only a month old. Not going to really be critical about the choice. The hat is not my favorite.

LaRae

Agreed. The few times Meghan has done bigger hats, she’s done them very well. I wish to see those more.

Btw, I saw some pictures on DM (I know) of Meghan and Harry arriving at BP in the Range Rover. The quality aren’t so great, but I could swear she’s in the coat she wore to Eugenie’s wedding. The neckline is unmistakable.

Last edited:

> I appreciate there are limitations on how one might dress a post-partum lady so soon after birth, but this whole ensemble just seemed a bit underwhelming, IMO.

> To me, the navy i just not right for a daytime, celebratory engagement at this time of year. That said, perhaps one needs to be charitable to Meghan as she is still relatively new in this country, and perhaps does not fully appreciate the seasonality involved in dressing in this part of the world. If only she had a stylist or somebody here in the UK who could guide her.

> There has been some criticism of her hat. My sense is that she is new to the business of wearing hats, and her style will eventually settle down to what work for her.

> This may sound like a broke record, but clearly there is still no UK fashion house good enough to dress the lady for the most British of public engagements!

> Is that a new pair of diamond earrings she has on? If they are indeed diamonds, that is a pretty serious pair of earrings.

Yeah the dress is okay...basic shift style I think..but Archie is only a month old. Not going to really be critical about the choice. The hat is not my favorite.

LaRae

Catherine was a month and a month and half post birth the year Charlotte and Louis were born, and she was able to find suitable properly fitting outfits.
This is the difference between having a stylist and seamstress to.. not having one.
A good stylist would have found a dress to fit Meghan new body measurements. A good seamstress would have made sure that dress fitted well.

So I don’t accept the: had a baby last month as an excuse. Not for a woman with Meghan’s financial resources!!- as she has demonstrated today with a new (bespoke?) Givenchy.
How can one spend thousands on an outfit and not have it fit properly?!

Last edited:
Catherine was a month and a month and half post birth the year Charlotte and Louis were born, and she was able to find suitable properly fitting outfits.
This is the difference between having a stylist and seamstress to.. not having one.
A good stylist would have found a dress to fit Meghan new body measurements. A good seamstress would have made sure that dress fitted well.

So I don’t accept the: had a baby last month as an excuse.

My sense is that the combination of Meghan's reliance on her BFF / stylist based in Canada and overseas fashion houses is doing her no favours, today being a perfect example.

So I don’t accept the: had a baby last month as an excuse. Not for a woman with Meghan’s financial resources!!- as she has demonstrated today with a new (bespoke?) Givenchy.

No one has said anything about her not being properly fitted. So I have no idea what you are talking about. Nothing looks ill fitted on her. She's wearing a dress ...which none of us know yet if it 's new or not. Some are suggesting she wore this (with a coat) to Eugenie's wedding.

LaRae

Of course ignoring the fact that the Australian brands she wore were, shocker here, during her tour of Australia. Pretty common event for royals :whistling:

If we stop being Ignorant of the fact that they represent the queen's realms and not simply the UK, that number goes way up as we can include the Canadian and Australian designers in those numbers.

Or the fact that designers don't design only in their country. Supporting British designers in the global market, like her wedding dress, is part of that as well :ermm:

Crazy I know, to think people actually think outside of the borders of the four GB realms.

But certainly the DM has a point. Royal women like Sophie and Kate would never be caught dead in foreign labels like Givenchy or Prada, Dior, Channel......oh wait.....

I agree. And btw, some of that article’s numbers are off. The balance between US and Canada seem off. Even in what they listed.

And I also find the timing of this interesting. There has been a slow shift to use more British designer as she spends more time in UK. The outfits I saw on her right before her maternity leave are multiple things from William Vintage (which I’m assuming they count as foreign even though the only benefitted was William Vintage), Victoria Beckham, with Stella McCartney and Erdem thrown in.

Like I said before, it’ll take time and I still think it’ll ultimately be most a mix of British, Canadian, and US with French and Italian thrown in. Mainly because she’s not your typical royal. She has spent a significant amount of time on foreign soil, and her choices will reflect that. I don’t think it’s a bad thing.

Btw, I think Brits seem to be far less supportive of their designers working abroad. Canada has always been proud of Jason Wu and Erdem, NZ of Emilia Wickstead, and Australia of Martin Grant. Even though they work overseas, their respective country certainly claims them and supports them as their own fashion.

Last edited:

However Charlotte and Louis were her second and third children respectively and Catherine would have already been through the post partum stage before. She would have had a better understanding of her body's changes from pregnancy and nursing so ordering outfits for occasions like Trooping of the Color and Harry's wedding would have been a little easier.

This is Meghan's first experience with her post partum/ possibly nursing mother body. The outfit was likely ordered well before Archie arrived so her measurements were likely "guesstimated" and minor alterations were likely made after he was born.

She's one month post partum after her first child, so the fact that she's there and is dressed appropriately for the occasion is fine IMO. Now I would have preferred a lighter shade of blue or a more spring time color though.

Wow, that is quite a statement to make.

We see it in here. It matters to no one that Clare Waight Keller is absolutely representing Britain and her education background. And none of the Brits seem proud of her or her collaborating with Meghan. Nor is it mentioned when she wears Paul Andrew and Aquazzura (their founder and creative director was raised in London and Miami and went to London College of Fashion). Did Brits or British media even know Edgardo Osorio went to London College of Fashion? It’s certainly never been mentioned in anything posted here.

Is there a photo of here not sitting down or having people in front of her, because so far I haven’t seen enough of this outfit to see if it’s ill fitting or not. Perhaps others have seen photo’s I haven’t. If not, I find it hard to believe people can judge fitting from these few photo’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom