The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 2: July 2018 - August 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(..)
Anyways, back to her look for the wedding. Here are my observations:

> I think the dress was fine, neither here nor there.

> My issue was really with the colour of the dress for a summer English wedding, especially one on such a bright and hot day.

> Similarly, I just did not think the hat was really suitable for a summer wedding.

> I don't think her "wardrobe malfunction" is an issue or worth commenting on.

> Perhaps from her wardrobe, more suitable might have been the ensemble worn to the BP garden party or to the Trooping of the Colour.

> At the end of the day, I will cut her slack when it comes to dressing for an English wedding as I am not sure she has been to very many. There is a certain vibe, and I am sure she will pick it up in the years to come.

> Whilst this was not an official engagement so less relevant, but I continue to be amazed at her continued patronage of the international fashion houses at the expense of British businesses. This lack of sensitivity is what I am surprised about.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I see we’re back to the ‘dog whistle’. We can’t talk about Meghan’s hair because she’s special.

Meghan’s the only royal who has a built in get out of jail free card.

The only thing I can say is, Meghan is in for a long hard road as a royal in Britain, if this is the defence that’s put up anytime she’s criticised.

Well it seems that some here think everyone thinks alike..........LOL. Well Rudolph, I can tell you straight up, I am my own person period. See the thing is I do not like *everything every royal lady wears*, nor everything that Meghan wears either and that not all royal ladies are perfect what so ever in my eyes as NO ONE is.......

Nobody here has a get out of jail free card for in reading the forums here we all have very different opinions on everything.......I did not like the dress and stated so.........the color was my only question about the dress, this was summer, a wedding and hot and humid out and not a royal event but a *private* event for all involved in the wedding even the guests. Maybe the dress would of looked nicer in a more softer color then black for that is how my computer showed it.....Now how are those apples in your cart today......

Last edited:
So I see we’re back to the ‘dog whistle’. We can’t talk about Meghan’s hair because she’s special.

Meghan’s the only royal who has a built in get out of jail free card.

The only thing I can say is, Meghan is in for a long hard road as a royal in Britain, if this is the defence that’s put up anytime she’s criticised.

Meghan is the only royal who some seem to want to nitpick to death. Every little detail of what she wears, how she styles her hair, how she walks, sits, smiles is analyzed like no other and that would include Kate. There are some uncomfortable truths as to why this is the case, whether some want to believe so or not.

On a lighter note, I just saw that the dress she wore yesterday sold out within hours. Safe to say "The Meghan Effect" is real. :cool:

As long as we can keep our comments directed to Meghan's apparel, her hairstyle, her makeup, her shoes and her hosiery and perhaps even her purses, we're commentating on inanimate objects that she is wearing. It doesn't reflect on what our personal opinions of Meghan, as a person are. There are other threads to lambast her actions or her lack of them should we choose to. Its like we're criticizing a mannequin in a department store window with the view of how it appears on Meghan's body. Nothing more and nothing less.

I didn't like the dress she wore to the wedding at all. I would never have chosen it for myself or for anyone else attending a summer wedding. That's my opinion of the *dress*. I personally do not now and never will care for any kind of a hat so I don't even bother looking at them as a rule. I either like or dislike the overall picture of the *outfit*. Whether or not I think Meghan is the greatest thing since sliced bread doesn't come into it. Come to think of it, I'm not all that enthused about sliced bread either. I can take it or leave it.

We see what we see and we like and dislike what we see. Its what the fashion thread is here for in the first place. ;)

> Whilst this was not an official engagement so less relevant, but I continue to be amazed at her continued patronage of the international fashion houses at the expense of British businesses. This lack of sensitivity is what I am surprised about.

Actually almost her entire outfit was British(hat, jewellery) and Canadian (dress)... What wasn't wear all trusted re-wears.

There are some uncomfortable truths as to why this is the case, whether some want to believe so or not

And what are these ‘truths’? Please don’t leave us hanging.

9/10 Meghan’s hair is an over processed mess imo. She can always wear it natural.

Not feeling Meghan's dress for the wedding. While the fit was nice, I didn't like the pattern, or the colors on the skirt. Also agree with others that an all black outfit just seemed a bit too much for a summer wedding. Hat was a miss for me too. But I love her shoes and the way she styled her hair (didn't find it messy at all).

Meghan is the only royal who some seem to want to nitpick to death. Every little detail of what she wears, how she styles her hair, how she walks, sits, smiles is analyzed no other...

Yeah, this is definitely not true. I'm not gonna derail the thread by mentioning others, but quite a few of the royal women have had it just as rough in the beginning. Once Meghan settles in, I imagine the scrutiny will be a lot less (this is what happened to other royal women.)

To Chloep's point re: context for all the messy hair comments, if you listen closely you can hear the dog whistle in the silence. :whistling:

I'm a black woman (similar hair texture to Meghan's) and I think her hair looks messy sometimes. Particularly when she has her hair in a looser bun. I'm not adverse to messy buns, but I'm just not a fan of the way Meghan does them.

Royals wardrobe malfunction sometimes happens, doesn't it? We have seen it a couple of times from the other royal and I don't see people keep fussing about them at least in here:whistling:.

Not true. There is a certain royal who has had a few wardrobe malfunctions and when it happened, the discussion went on for days. Years later they're still constantly brought up and thrown out as a dig. In fact, it's been subtly mentioned in this discussion about Meghan's wardrobe malfunction.

I don't see the scandal with Meghan's bra (or camisole) showing. Like all the other royal women that this has happened to, Meghan didn't plan to have a wardrobe malfunction. It happens to everyone...even royals and it's a sad that any of these royal women are shamed for it and have to deal with snide comments even years after their wardrobe mishaps.

I'm a black woman (similar hair texture to Meghan's) and I think her hair looks messy sometimes. Particularly when she has her hair in a looser bun. I'm not adverse to messy buns, but I'm just not a fan of the way Meghan does them.

However, she did not have a messy bun yesterday - yet, comments were the same. So either people just don't even look at the pics anymore and just see at what the lovely people over at the Fail are saying or it's automatic response at this point.

:previous: Or maybe they actually thought her hair looked messy. *shrug*

Not true. There is a certain royal who has had a few wardrobe malfunctions and when it happened, the discussion went on for days. Years later they're still constantly brought up and thrown out as a dig. In fact, it's been subtly mentioned in this discussion about Meghan's wardrobe malfunction.

There you go. I agree. People don’t like comparing Meghan to other royals unless they think it will score points.

And also this notion that Meghan is being singled out. Some royal watchers seem to have selective memories.

‘It was always thus, and ever thus shall be.’

Last edited:
:previous: Or maybe they actually thought her hair looked messy. *shrug*

It could be worse though. She could be accused of having (gasp) helmet hair. :eek:

I thought her hair was fine (there have been times where her blowout was goals--Ireland trip, for example), but she needs to hire who did her styling on "Suits." Not a fan of her version of the messy bun, but like it when she's got it in a neat chignon.

Actually almost her entire outfit was British(hat, jewellery) and Canadian (dress)... What wasn't wear all trusted re-wears.
I don't see much British there (Canadian is nor relevant, she is not on a Canada related engagement) other than the hat. Dress, shoes... all foreign. Not sure where the bag came from.

ANSWER to [Chloep] in post 871 below -
Well Chloep, we have a diffence of opinion. My first thought was disheveled when I saw the first picture. Looked thrown together for me that’s all

If you are referring to my disheveled comment, I posted an ANSWER to you in post 871.

How is her hair 'disheveled'? :huh: Is it because the hair is not all staying together (like it would if there was a lot of product in it?) Her hair looks no different to me from the woman she is walking with. Is that woman's hair disheveled? If so, then I would guess that (by the criteria I think you are suggesting, but correct me if I am out in left field with this) all women with long straight-ish hair (who don't use product to keep the hair strands altogether) are disheveled. Lots of men with long straight hair are disheveled, too, then, because they don't use product. :cool:

Disheveled to me signifies lack of care, usually means the hair hasn't been combed/brushed and somehow arranged. Meghan appears (to me) to be brushing her hair and arranging it. ;) Saying Meghan looks disheveled suggests to me that she looks like she just tumbled out of bed. Its an intense word. I am eager to see her 'disheveled'.

Last edited:
I don't see much British there (Canadian is nor relevant, she is not on a Canada related engagement) other than the hat. Dress, shoes... all foreign. Not sure where the bag came from.

I guess if you look through the very narrow sight that the queen is queen of only the UK, and the royal family only represents the UK, you are right :flowers:

But most people recognize that the BRF represents the Commonwealth. And in everything they do, they are representing all the countries they are the royals of. So no wearing Canadian is not foreign for a British royal, it is representing one of the many countries the queen and her family represent. As a citizen of the commonwealth I like that she doesn't just represent us when she is in Canada.

But some people will do anything to cling to the 'she wears only foreign brands' complaint. Any way possible. :whistling:

Dress and belt- Club Monaco (Commonwealth)
hat- Philip Treacy (UK)
bracelet- Shaun Leane (UK)
shoes- Aquezura, the designer is London raised and educated
earrings- Belgian designer
purse- California designer

Only the earrings and purse aren't a UK/British designer, or link. The shoes may be a foreign brand but the designer is a testament to the strength of London design school and talent.

And what are these ‘truths’? Please don’t leave us hanging.

9/10 Meghan’s hair is an over processed mess imo. She can always wear it natural.

Over processed mess? Ok. :lol:

We already know what those truths are. Please. You have to ignore a lot of things to think she is being covered or critiqued like all other royal women.

Yeah, this is definitely not true. I'm not gonna derail the thread by mentioning others, but quite a few of the royal women have had it just as rough in the beginning. Once Meghan settles in, I imagine the scrutiny will be a lot less (this is what happened to other royal women.)

It's absolutely true and to say so isn't to say other women didn't have it rough also. Just that it is different with Meghan and I'm not just talking about on this forum either.

Last edited:

The thread has been cleaned up for the second time today. As stated earlier today and in several previous mod posts: please refrain from repeating the same old discussion about the fans and haters and about the fashion discussion itself. As the past has shown over and over again these discussions aren't getting us anywhere and do only end in arguments and insults. And for private conversations with individual members please use the PM method instead.
Thank you!

ANSWER to [Chloep] in post 871 below -

How is her hair 'disheveled'? :huh: Is it because the hair is not all staying together (like it would if there was a lot of product in it?) Her hair looks no different to me from the woman she is walking with. Is that woman's hair disheveled? If so, then I would guess that (by the criteria I think you are suggesting, but correct me if I am out in left field with this) all women with long straight-ish hair (who don't use product to keep the hair strands altogether) are disheveled. Lots of men with long straight hair are disheveled, too, then, because they don't use product. :cool:

Disheveled to me signifies lack of care, usually means the hair hasn't been combed/brushed and somehow arranged. Meghan appears (to me) to be brushing her hair and arranging it. ;) Saying Meghan looks disheveled suggests to me that she looks like she just tumbled out of bed. Its an intense word. I am eager to see her 'disheveled'.

I wasn’t talking about her hair, Chloep might have assumed I was in her post. My original post 845 is where I said disheveled. It can also mean disarranged and that was my gut feeling in the first pic getting out the car. I know Meghan puts a lot of thought in her clothes but it looked like grab a dress and the first hat on the shelf to me that’s all.

Last edited:
Whilst Meghan's latest outfit is not my personal cup of tea (I'm not a fan of the colours and design of the skirt half), I think she looks beautiful nevertheless. She often gets her hats and fascinators right, and this one is no exception. Whilst her wardrobe malfunction is unfortunate, these things happen and it's not so shocking, just a minor bit of lace peeking out (and, whilst I commented because multiple others have pointed it out, I always have a policy on bra area malfunctions that if you notice them you shouldn't have been looking there in the first place :D).
I don't see an issue with her hair either. I often notice when royals have unkempt hair (men too) but I don't see problems with Meghan's hair here yesterday.

I thought Meghan looked great. I do not see what others are seeing wrt messy hair. It appeared to me that she didn't have a hair out of place.

I remember when Fergie was criticized on her appearance and was on some show and mentioned she didn't have anywhere near the budget Diana had. I wonder whether she has the budget to have her hair looked after every time she leaves home? I don't find anything wrong with her hair at all, to be clear. I just wonder what the expectation is.

(..)
Anyways, back to her look for the wedding. Here are my observations:

(a) I think the dress was fine, neither here nor there.

(b) My issue was really with the colour of the dress for a summer English wedding, especially one on such a bright and hot day.

(c)Similarly, I just did not think the hat was really suitable for a summer wedding.

(d)I don't think her "wardrobe malfunction" is an issue or worth commenting on.

(e) Perhaps from her wardrobe, more suitable might have been the ensemble worn to the BP garden party or to the Trooping of the Colour.

> At the end of the day, I will cut her slack when it comes to dressing for an English wedding as I am not sure she has been to very many. There is a certain vibe, and I am sure she will pick it up in the years to come.

a. I agree.
b. Okay, those you you that thought it was too dark for a summery day--if it had been an overcast kind of
day would it have seemed better?
c. It was a straw or maybe sinamay type hat-that seems spring or summer to me.
d. Agree
e. I think both of those would have been too dressy for this wedding.

Last edited:
Not feeling Meghan's dress for the wedding. While the fit was nice, I didn't like the pattern, or the colors on the skirt. Also agree with others that an all black outfit just seemed a bit too much for a summer wedding. Hat was a miss for me too. But I love her shoes and the way she styled her hair (didn't find it messy at all).

I don't see the scandal with Meghan's bra (or camisole) showing. Like all the other royal women that this has happened to, Meghan didn't plan to have a wardrobe malfunction. It happens to everyone...even royals and it's a sad that any of these royal women are shamed for it and have to deal with snide comments even years after their wardrobe mishaps.

I love your post, thank you for your balanced perspective! :flowers:

It's not scandalous at all that she showed her bra, it's sloppy (which is all I've said - someone go find a post of mine that says it's scandalous, please). Sloppy is a problem I have with Meghan's fashion a lot. Yes she'll get with the program eventually, after lots of trial and error, just like every other newly married-in royal. It's normal.(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why so much fuss over this event and what Meghan was wearing, hair or no hair, lace showing or not showing......this was a *Private Event* not a *royal event*, this is down time, personal time, private time not *public time* and even if the public could see them outside the church, so what.....aren't the royals allowed private time and room to breath and laugh and cry and be human for heavens' sake....they are not robots here, you and I and very one in the world makes mistakes in *everything* we do, so who are we to be so judgemental of everything they do......some need to get off their high horse and ride a donkey for a change...:deadhorse:

I guess if you look through the very narrow sight that the queen is queen of only the UK, and the royal family only represents the UK, you are right :flowers:

But most people recognize that the BRF represents the Commonwealth. And in everything they do, they are representing all the countries they are the royals of. So no wearing Canadian is not foreign for a British royal, it is representing one of the many countries the queen and her family represent. As a citizen of the commonwealth I like that she doesn't just represent us when she is in Canada.

But some people will do anything to cling to the 'she wears only foreign brands' complaint. Any way possible. :whistling:

Dress and belt- Club Monaco (Commonwealth)
hat- Philip Treacy (UK)
bracelet- Shaun Leane (UK)
shoes- Aquezura, the designer is London raised and educated
earrings- Belgian designer
purse- California designer

Only the earrings and purse aren't a UK/British designer, or link. The shoes may be a foreign brand but the designer is a testament to the strength of London design school and talent.
Only the Queen is the queen of Canada and 15 other countries. The rest of the BRF have no role on those countries. In support of the Queen certain members of her family may conduct some engagements relating to Canada or other commonwealth countries, but that is as far as if goes. So I'd it is not a Canada related engagement, we do not see any need for Megan to wear Canadian clothes.

I thought her hair was fine (there have been times where her blowout was goals--Ireland trip, for example), but she needs to hire who did her styling on "Suits." Not a fan of her version of the messy bun, but like it when she's got it in a neat chignon.

You know that hair doesn't really stay perfect in real life like on a movie or TV show where someone touches it up between takes, right?

Only the Queen is the queen of Canada and 15 other countries. The rest of the BRF have no role on those countries. In support of the Queen certain members of her family may conduct some engagements relating to Canada or other commonwealth countries, but that is as far as if goes. So I'd it is not a Canada related engagement, we do not see any need for Megan to wear Canadian clothes.

IIRC, Harry was appointed to a Commonwealth position at the last CHOGM.

Ah, yes--Commonweath Youth Ambassador... and his wife is joining him in that role.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-b...KKBN1HM10H?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

However, she did not have a messy bun yesterday - yet, comments were the same. So either people just don't even look at the pics anymore and just see at what the lovely people over at the Fail are saying or it's automatic response at this point.

Oh for heaven's sake, here is an image illustrating why I thought her hair looked messy.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/NINTCHDBPICT000424723286.jpg?w=960

Also, one of the videos I saw shows it being blown all over the place (no I'm not going to go hunt it down). No it's not an automatic response, and yes I look at the pictures.

BTW, I don't see your posts most of the time, so if you're expecting to get an answer from me you should PM me and I'll be happy to clarify any questions you have.

Maybe you don't :whistling: Unless there is more then one person in your profile, I wouldn't presume to speak for anyone but yourself as in the 'we'.

The royal family does indeed have a place in Canada, and other commonwealth countries. They have the same place as they do in the UK. The queen is our head of the country, and her family is the backup/support. This is why all of the members of the senior working royals have roles in commonwealth countries, and frequently visit them. Meghan is a member of a royal family that represents all of the UK and commonwealth. So if she chooses to wear clothes from the commonwealth good on her.

Its not like we're talking her choosing to wear an Indian designer when she is on a tour to India. The BRF doesn't just represent Canada when in Canada.

Harry has taken on a roll recently as a commonwealth ambassador. As his wife, Meghan will be supporting him in this role. Even more reason that its wonderful she remembers there aren't only 4 countries in the queen's realm.

Besides- it was a wedding, a private event. She wasn't representing anyone. If she wanted to wear a Japanese dress, indian earrings, Danish purse and Swiss jewelry, that would be her choice. This isn't an official event where she is representing anyone.

Oh for heaven's sake, here is an image illustrating why I thought her hair looked messy.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/NINTCHDBPICT000424723286.jpg?w=960

Also, one of the videos I saw shows it being blown all over the place (no I'm not going to go hunt it down). No it's not an automatic response, and yes I look at the pictures.

BTW, I don't see your posts most of the time, so if you're expecting to get an answer from me you should PM me and I'll be happy to clarify any questions you have.

To me, it looks as if she caught a breeze and it ruffled her hair somewhat.

I don't really understand why she needed new solid black hat (expensive one) for relaxed summer wedding. She has at least 4 hats to wear with this dress: 2 similar pink hats, cheap white hat and Ascot white-black hat. All these options would be better in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom