The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 2: July 2018 - August 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the hat, on the fence with the skirt, and the shoes are cute!

The Duchess of Sussex at the wedding of Charlie van Straubenzee and Daisy Jenks in Frensham, Surrey, today, August 4:

** Full view ** Full view 2 ** Side view ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 ** Upper part 3 ** Upper part 4 **

I know this is going to shock everyone, but I can't stand this look :whistling:
The hat is terrible, the colors are too somber for a summer wedding, it looks like the blouse is unbuttoned so you can see her lace bra underneath (upper part 2 photo) and her hair is a mess as usual. Another total fail fashion wise imo.

I like the hair and hat, the dress is fine, from what I can see of it in the various photos. I'm not sure I'm a fan of this kind of color blocking: the skirt seems a little random. It does seem a little dark overall for a summer wedding, but, whatever. I think I would like the dress more without the color blocking on the skirt, because I think the pleats and the style of the bodice are very pretty, and quite flattering on Meghan.

I don’t think that’s her bra. It looks like a camisole slip underneath, which is actually more conservative than if she didn’t it since the dress is designed to have somewhat of low cut and wide arm openings.

Not a fan of the dress but I like the hair and heels. Love her makeup. And yes that is a camisole.

Last edited:
Maybe its the practical Canadian in me who doesn't think there are summer wardrobes and winter and autumn. As long as it is warm enough or cool enough for the weather. And that goes for color as well.

Black is for winter.....black is for funerals.....:ermm: Fashion industry missed the note :whistling:

Its a cute dress. The color blocking lightens it up a bit. The lace showing is the style, adds a bit of detail. Certainly not her bra.

But I hate the hat.

As for the hair, maybe she is taking people's advice on here, and taking tips from her sister in law. Certainly looks like her style. :lol:

Those who complaining about Meghan's hair. Get over it.

Maybe its the practical Canadian in me who doesn't think there are summer wardrobes and winter and autumn. As long as it is warm enough or cool enough for the weather. And that goes for color as well.

Black is for winter.....black is for funerals.....:ermm: Fashion industry missed the note :whistling:

Its a cute dress. The color blocking lightens it up a bit. The lace showing is the style, adds a bit of detail. Certainly not her bra.

Honestly, I don’t think the archaic rules about color and season apply much anymore. There was a rule about no pastel or white between Labor Day and Memorial Day as those were considered summer colors. However, we are seeing a lot of light colors in winter wardrobe now. I personally will take a pastel or white coat over navy or black any day.

The only color rule I follow without exception, unless requested by family members, is wearing all black to funerals. That’s out of respect for a difficult and tomotional time for the loved ones.

And yes, the light material also lightens the dress up a bit. She’s more covered than a lot of the other guests. The flow of the dress gives it a more relaxed looked. She’s be way over dress if it weren’t for that and the color blocking.

Last edited:
Lovely outfit! Dark colour in wedding is totally fine to me, as long as it isn't a completely black outfit I think it's okay. Love the belt and dress, especially these colour panels on the skirt and these lace details. And these lovely shoes again. :wub:

The only thing I would complain is the colour of the cocktail hat (it's more like a cocktail than a beret to me). It looks very heavy with its material, some colour from her skirt may be better, these decorations need a lighter colour I guess.

Did she plan to attend funerals? :huh:

LOL, seriously. ? Well, if she ever finds herself in need of a funeral outfit while out of the country she doesn't need to pack an outfit for that express purpose like every other member of the BRF does, she can just wear whatever she packed for normal wear, she's all set.

The unbuttoned blouse with the camisole under looks just as sloppy as if it was her bra. The whole thing is terrible, I can't believe this is what she thinks is appropriate for a summer wedding. She hasn't got a clue, I really am beginning to think she's a lost cause.

Not a fan of the dress but I like the hair and heels. Love her makeup. And yes that is a camisole.

That's what I think too.
The dress looks ill-fitting and sloppy, but the hat is pretty.

I also don't like the bra or camisole showing, I don't think it's appropriate at someone's wedding.

I'm "meh" on this.

Love: Makeup, hair, shoes and purse.

Dislike: I hate that dress/skirt blouse combo. And that fascinator is a no to me IMO. Regarding the dress, I like the concept, however dislike colour blocking in all its entity. I like the pleats on the skirt, and if she had gone with a Navy top and then the skirt had gone from dark navy to light baby blue on the bottom, I would have liked it better.

Rating: 6/10

Those who complaining about Meghan's hair. Get over it.

How about no. We can comment on her hair just as much as we like, thank you very much. It's an over-processed mess as usual. Critics get on lots of other royals for messy hair, Meghan doesn't get an automatic pass regarding her hairstyle (or lack thereof).

Okay, just because I have asked this very question about a half dozen times on here and i have NEVER once received an answer. Could people please explain what a mess of a hair is? I am loosing my patience a little bit because no one ever actually says what the mess is and I am just wondering whether I am an in idiot who is not picking up on coded language where mess is supposed to mean something else.

How is her hair a mess? Because it moves when she turns her head?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Djwy-pKXsAAkeZ1.jpg:large
https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...as-they-arrive-to-attend-picture-id1010784378
https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...as-they-arrive-to-attend-picture-id1010784298

I just don't get where messy, unkempt and disheveled come from. So, please - for once, as a nice change of pace - I am genuinely hoping to receive an actual answer to this. I am not looking for a whole back and forth that gets a Meghan thread locked - again.

And if she'd wear this dress with the pink, green, baby blue and navy colourblock to a funeral it'd be highly inappropriate...

Last edited by a moderator:
The unbuttoned blouse with the camisole under looks just as sloppy as if it was her bra. The whole thing is terrible, I can't believe this is what she thinks is appropriate for a summer wedding. She hasn't got a clue, I really am beginning to think she's a lost cause.

Actually, I'm a fan of camisoles with built in shelf bra. I'm putting together an outfit for an upcoming wedding and started with a vintage cream Oleg Cassini chiffon skirt. Pairing it with a vintage cream Edwardian lace blouse in the same shade of cream but plan on wearing a (drumroll) pink shelf bra lace camisole underneath the blouse (the lace is pretty see through) and have a matching pink belt and choker of the same design as the belt and pink ballet flats. The overall color of the accents are subject to change with my mood though. Not bad for the grandmother of the bride eh? :D

To me, wearing something that is visible like a peek of a camisole is far more sexier than an outfit where everything is sticking out profoundly. It accentuates the feminine. Even with the severest and minimalistic style that Meghan wears, one would be hard pressed to state that she's not feminine to the core.

I've always been taught that 1) you shouldn't wear cream/white to a wedding as those are the bride's colors; 2) no one other than the bride should look 'sexy' (if she wishes), it's not about the attendees, it's about the bride.

I'm sure since you're the grandmother it's all good, but you're not in the public eye either.

Btw, it’s really nice to see how relaxed Meghan is with Harry’s maternal cousins. We don’t see them as often as Harry’s cousins from his paternal side.

And Chloep, I’m with you on this. There are a few snaps here and there wher she has some strands out of place, but I’d hardly call her hair a mess for her hair moving out place here and there as she walks outside with wind and movement. Hair moves! Surprised! :lol:

I’m also not understanding the inappropriate discussion as Meghan is actually on the conservative side of things compared to others at the wedding.

But perhapsFashionMaven hit the nail in the head when she said it’s more likely because she’s not what people consider “royal” dressing.

I typically really like everything that Meghan wears, but this whole outfit is a miss for me. I’m not against black, being worn to weddings, but it’s summer. Lighter colors would have been great.

Her hair looks good to me. So again, I fail to see what people are complaining about in the hair department!

I've always been taught that 1) you shouldn't wear cream/white to a wedding as those are the bride's colors; 2) no one other than the bride should look 'sexy' (if she wishes), it's not about the attendees, it's about the bride.

I'm sure since you're the grandmother it's all good, but you're not in the public eye either.

Were we raised by the same woman? Sure sounds familiar. One never wore white after Labor Day either. Hats and gloves were always a must to be a "lady attending church" and a "lady" never, ever smokes a cigarette in public. I'm the rebel in the family and don't follow any of those archaic rules.

To me there is a vast difference between accentuating a woman's femininity and blatant flaunting of sexuality. The more "left to the imagination" is far more attractive than baring all as much as possible. To me, I think its gauche for a bride to display herself as sexy in her wedding gown. That, to me, is best reserved for the wedding night. Call me old fashioned in that respect.

To be honest, even being in the public eye, I hope Meghan stays comfortable in her own skin enough to let her real self shine through and not dress totally giving into conventions and "proper". To be true to herself would be a great achievement in my book

Were we raised by the same woman? Sure sounds familiar. One never wore white after Labor Day either. Hats and gloves were always a must to be a "lady attending church" and a "lady" never, ever smokes a cigarette in public. I'm the rebel in the family and don't follow any of those archaic rules.

To me there is a vast difference between accentuating a woman's femininity and blatant flaunting of sexuality. The more "left to the imagination" is far more attractive than baring all as much as possible. To me, I think its gauche for a bride to display herself as sexy in her wedding gown. That, to me, is best reserved for the wedding night. Call me old fashioned in that respect.

To be honest, even being in the public eye, I hope Meghan stays comfortable in her own skin enough to let her real self shine through and not dress totally giving into conventions and "proper". To be true to herself would be a great achievement in my book

This is a wedding, she doesn't need to be staying true to herself here, she can do that on her own time. This is about the bride (and groom) and since Meghan is an invited guest and not the star of this particular show she should be doing her best to dress 'properly'. It's not a choice, it's a social obligation imo.

:previous: Just from pictures I have seen, I think it more usual to see wedding guests dresses in cream/white in Europe, compared to the US.

And as she has worn navy quite a bit this summer, I've been meaning to comment that navy has always been a go-to-summer-dressy-color in the summer in the US. I can remember it being summer dressy fashionable here since my youth seeing it in the R Lauren, Calvin Klein lines. And it subs for black in summer in my read on the US. As she is from the US, it does not shock or displease me that she is wearing it.

And I think it looks great on the DOS.

I am not at all a fan of the accordion pleat, but no designer listens to me ;) so I just want to say I can live with this version. I enjoy the odd color blocking.

And I do not find her hair to be a mess. In the least. Please look at the hair of. women around her, which seems to be no more or less messy than the DOS. I like the color of it, I like the style. Nothing like a sexy wave to frame the face. Her makeup is always perfect for daytime.

Last edited:
This is a wedding, she doesn't need to be staying true to herself here, she can do that on her own time. This is about the bride (and groom) and since Meghan is an invited guest and not the star of this particular show she should be doing her best to dress 'properly'. It's not a choice, it's a social obligation imo.

I guess I don't see how she is not dressing properly. I dislike the style but it is not improper. She looks just fine. She not in white. She not showy. She not distracting. Seems she was being deliberate to not grab attention, IMO.

Well I will be the first to say, this is one dress I do not like and no one has to like everything a royal wears all the time.......yes, to dark IMHO for a summer wedding.......and color block is not my cup of tea ever....the hat, the shoes, the hair, the make-up and the sparkle in her eyes are fabulous....she is radiant and happy and in love and it shows. Just do not like the dress....

I would bet the bride snd groom hand no problem with how Meghan was dressed.

This wasn't my favourite dress, but in no way or for was it unsuitable in any way or form. And I don't see the issue with her hair either, it looked really lovely to me.

Unless there's a specific dress code listed on the wedding invite, I don't think the bride and groom really pay attention too much what their guests show up to the wedding in. The point is that the guests are there to celebrate their day with them and not being there as background mannequins.

Meghan's attire was perfectly suitable for a wedding. I find no fault with it. I wouldn't have chosen that dress for me at all but that's just my own personal tastes showing. :D

Some of you made a comment about bra. Um, have you heard of wardrobe malfunction?

The Queen wore this style of dress (as did Princess Margaret) through much of the 50s and 60s??????? So I am not understanding how it has become un-royal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom