The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 2: July 2018 - August 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet she was listed as one of the best dressed of the day. Can't please everyone. I loved the shirt. I was not a fan of the pants but I know it is a style. A style others on the day were also rocking. Again not my cup of tea but clearly this look hit the spot for some as I have seen many comments in the press praising it. So Meghan just needs to continue doing her as she figures out her style. I much prefer her looks currently than I did right after the wedding when it was clear she was trying too hard to not be "chic" and herself.

I think Meghan at Wimbledon or doing events with Harry is a totally different thing than attending Trooping the Color or Ascot. The looks for those events are different for most of the ladies.

I think Meghan looked very modern and appropriate. However I hate the length of the pants and I know they are made that way. But just because they're made that way doesn't mean you should wear them that way. They still look sloppy that length. It must have been fun for the two Duchesses to hang out together!

I haven't read through this thread (and probably won't bother doing so :lol:) but I LOVED Meghan's pants. Yes, they were made to be worn exactly as she wore them and I thought they looked great on her. I do wish her shirt was tucked a little better but overall, I thought she looked effortlessly chic, once again.

Wonderful to see the messy bun again too. :cool:

Add me to those who didn't like the length of the pants. But, that's the only thing I didn't like. Yes, it might be a style and might be how they were meant to be, but I think it's a bad design. On anyone.

But, aside from the bottom of the pants, I think her outfit was fine. If I hadn't seen the bottom I would have said great outfit, thumbs up.

Are senior royal women not supposed to wear pants? Button down shirts? I could see if this was a super formal engagement (although now I really love that she wore a suit to the Endeavor awards before the wedding. Mercy and heavens to Betsy and all that:devil:) but it was a sporting event. And she's not wearing ripped jeans or super revealing clothing or anything like that.

Also, I wonder if her outfits would be described as runway or cat walk if she hadn't been an actress. If she had been Meghan Markle former insurance agent or interior designer, would people be seeing the same thing in her clothing? Because I could see someone wearing the same outfit in a bunch of different settings and no one thinking "wow, so and so looks like they're ready for the runway." If I wore the same thing to work (library) the only comment I'd probably get would be "how do you walk in those things without falling flat on your face?"

Add me to those who didn't like the length of the pants. But, that's the only thing I didn't like. Yes, it might be a style and might be how they were meant to be, but I think it's a bad design. On anyone.

But, aside from the bottom of the pants, I think her outfit was fine. If I hadn't seen the bottom I would have said great outfit, thumbs up.

Are senior royal women not supposed to wear pants? Button down shirts? I could see if this was a super formal engagement (although now I really love that she wore a suit to the Endeavor awards before the wedding. Mercy and heavens to Betsy and all that:devil:) but it was a sporting event. And she's not wearing ripped jeans or super revealing clothing or anything like that.

Also, I wonder if her outfits would be described as runway or cat walk if she hadn't been an actress. If she had been Meghan Markle former insurance agent or interior designer, would people be seeing the same thing in her clothing? Because I could see someone wearing the same outfit in a bunch of different settings and no one thinking "wow, so and so looks like they're ready for the runway." If I wore the same thing to work (library) the only comment I'd probably get would be "how do you walk in those things without falling flat on your face?"

So right on this. This is typical summer wear for the office in NYC. I'm way shorter than Meghan, and have rocked these sort of pants, especially the linen variety in NYC during the summer months. I'm no actress, and absolutely no model. This style of pants keeps you cool if you don't want to do a dress or skirt.

I also understand criticism surrounding the length, however, I wear mine the same way, and I have a pair that's been going on over 10 years now that I pull out every summer, and they are still going strong. They require a bit of dry cleaning, and I've only had to have the bottoms fixed twice in 10 years. If you buy quality, trust me, they last a long time. Mine were not Ralph Ralph but Banana Republic.

Aw dagnabit. I was hoping that the length of the pants was something that would catch on and everyone starts wearing their pants looking a tad bit too long. I'd then be right in vogue as being only 5'1, *every* pair of pants I buy are actually too long. I don't sew at all either so it would have put my entire pants wardrobe in style. :lol:

It was inappropriate to wear to a tennis match.

From who's point of view? Your own? It's your opinion that it was inappropriate to wear to a tennis match but the guidelines on the Wimbledon website are as follows:

Protocol - dress is smart, suits/jacket and tie, etc. Ladies are asked not to wear hats, as they tend to obscure the vision of those seated behind them.

So therefore Meghan has broken no rule to say her outfit was inappropriate, so she's fine.

From who's point of view? Your own? It's your opinion that it was inappropriate to wear to a tennis match but the guidelines on the Wimbledon website are as follows:

Protocol - dress is smart, suits/jacket and tie, etc. Ladies are asked not to wear hats, as they tend to obscure the vision of those seated behind them.

So therefore Meghan has broken no rule to say her outfit was inappropriate, so she's fine.

I agree. If the pants were jeans or even tighter, I would absolute agree that she was inappropriately dressed, but since the pants were neither of those, then her attire was completely appropriate for the event. I also think that this type of event would require a dress or skirt that is around knee length, and I don't think Meghan looks particularly nice with knee lengths skirts or dress. She prefers her dresses down to her shin, which I think would have been too dressy and restrictive for this type of event.

(..) I still do not like pants that drag on the ground for I do NOT want to track dirt and garbage off the streets into my home, I am a neat freak, just ask my sister about me and cleanness ....:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
You know I feel this messy hair look actually looks well put together. It looks intentional rather than like she just didn't have the time. As for the outfit, I'm just neutral on it; she could have done better she could have done worse.

Personally don't like the outfit today, every piece is lovely to me but they don't work well with the others, I am not sure why.

This is exactly how I feel about this outfit. I just simply don't like it. In the last couple of weeks Meghan's worn some beautifully tailored pieces that fit well, did not have that that oversized look, were perfectly appropriate for the occasion, even some color thrown in!, but this outfit.....it's just a miss all the way around. I love the blue of the shirt so a dress of that color or even a shirt with a skirt or pants would be beautiful with her skin tone and hair. That's about the only thing about this look that was good, though. I know I'm the odd man out and everyone else appears to love it but I just can't. The hair looks messy and far too casual. The shirt looks oversized and baggy. The pants....oh my. Far too long, far too large. And I realize that the white/cream thing is mostly lighting but in many of the pictures the pants appear to be cream while the shirt appears to be blue/white and it looks like she got dressed in the dark and didn't notice the white/cream differing shades thing. Again, I realize that much of that is the lighting in photos but it's jarring when it appears that way. I really think I'd love these pants if they were a touch shorter and worn with a more fitted top. As it is, every piece looks to be too large. But wide leg pants with the right hem and a more fitted top look wonderful and would have looked stunning on Meghan. Here's hoping this was a one off miss and we can quickly get back to beautiful fits, gorgeous hair, etc.

Last edited:
This is exactly how I feel about this outfit. I just simply don't like it. In the last couple of weeks Meghan's worn some beautifully tailored pieces that fit well, did not have that that oversized look, were perfectly appropriate for the occasion, even some color thrown in!, but this outfit.....it's just a miss all the way around. I love the blue of the shirt so a dress of that color or even a shirt with a skirt or pants would be beautiful with her skin tone and hair. That's about the only thing about this look that was good, though. I know I'm the odd man out and everyone else appears to love it but I just can't. The hair looks messy and far too casual. The shirt looks oversized and baggy. The pants....oh my. Far too long, far too large. And I realize that the white/cream thing is mostly lighting but in many of the pictures the pants appear to be cream while the shirt appears to be blue/white and it looks like she got dressed in the dark and didn't notice the white/cream differing shades thing. Again, I realize that much of that is the lighting in photos but it's jarring when it appears that way. I really think I'd love these pants if they were a touch shorter and worn with a more fitted top. As it is, every piece looks to be too large. But wide leg pants with the right hem and a more fitted top look wonderful and would have looked stunning on Meghan. Here's hoping this was a one off miss and we can quickly get back to beautiful fits, gorgeous hair, etc.

While I loved the fitted looks, I also love the variety we get with Meghan. It's like a palette cleansing sometimes of a few things that are all fitted. :lol: To me that's the true excitement of fashion watch. :D I'm actually really excited about the cuts that are intended to be over-sized because Meghan has the body to pull it off (you really have to be slim enough). I am still hoping for a re-appearance for the RL dress to Louis' christening so we get clearer details. I got a glimpse of the back, and got super excited!

It was lovely seeing Duchess Meghan and Duchess Catherine hanging together at the Serena vs Kerber match. I thought Meghan and Kate both looked elegant, gorgeous and at ease. Where do we discuss what Serena and Angelique were wearing? ? Wimby thread I suppose.

I like the way both Duchesses looked. The wide-leg pants are Meghan's vibe, and I like to see her doing her thing -- back with the loose hair strands now. Maybe she'll do this loose strands hairstyle more-so for casual events. I get why people think the pants dragging the ground doesn't look good. They do seem to be rather long. Personally, I like the overall look, but I'd prefer to see the pants slightly shorter with a bit of shoe tips showing, as jacqui mentioned earlier. But I think Meghan can carry it off. Apparently it's a purposely designed style, as others have noted, and not just the pants being too long for her. :lol: Similar to evening-gown styles that touch the ground.

Meghan has worn this type of wide-leg long pant length trousers before pre-Harry. Scroll down in the attached Vogue Meghan-style gallery to June 2015 and you will see Meghan wearing a similar look with white wide-leg pants. The white pants in June 2015 seem to be a tad shorter though, although they too are very long and covering her shoes. In addition, the September 2014 look is similar, but the pant legs are not quite as wide or long:
https://www.vogue.co.uk/gallery/meghan-markle-style-file Scroll down

I love this style gallery as it appears to be quite extensive, covering most of Meghan's pre-Harry clothes, all the way through her wedding and post-wedding looks up to the recent Ireland trip this month. So many of Meghan's pre-Harry looks are simply drop-dead gorgeous. And the variety is quite interesting too. Meghan rarely wears prints, but you can see in this gallery the times she did wear prints. Some of the mini dress looks I don't like on Meghan, but quite a few of them are rather cool and pretty, including the black minis, and the Dolce & Gabbana red brocade mini, which are absolutely stunning. I didn't care for the steel gray shiny mini-dress by Misha Nonoo that Meghan wore to an event with the designer. But the evening red carpet looks in general are so on-pointe. I especially love the divine (January 2013) tie-dye blue and red strapless evening dress Meghan wore with straight smooth hair (in a wet look). The style gallery includes looks from 2005 to 2018.

Overall, Meghan really just has the sass, the class, and the casual ease to rock just about anything. She was living a great life before she met Prince Harry. The transition now is obvious but apparently not that daunting for her. (..)

It's fun watching Meghan's style as the Duchess of Sussex evolve. She doesn't appear to be overly worried about anything. Why should she though? It's not easy, but I don't think she's treating this OTT clothing scrutiny with too much anxiety. Meghan surely doesn't read any press. Perhaps her staff tells her a few things that are being said just to keep her generally informed. But mostly, she's got her new life to live. The down time at KP with Harry and the Cambridges must be relaxing. Plus Meghan has got lots of wardrobe maintenance help. And it must feel great having bespoke clothing made to order, in luxurious fabrics. :D

I notice too that practically everything she wears just keeps selling out. Amazing. ?

Scroll down to the end of this christening photos article for the VF Royally Us podcast in which the hosts breathlessly discuss Meghan's fashion since the wedding, and reference how everything she wears sells out:
https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrit...te-william-george-charlotte-in-official-pics/
One of the hosts also mentions that Meghan is putting together most of her wardrobe on her own still, with a little help from Jessica Mulroney, now from afar. So it is largely Meghan, with some protocol assistance from royal staff, and a bit of help from Jessica. We know Meghan also does her own make-up. She's definitely low maintenance. I look forward to her getting a bit more help as she further evolves the direction she wishes to go in. Surely she's planning now for her fall trip attire.

Last edited:
I wasn’t going to look at her photos because I feel I can’t give my opinion anymore without being shut down but I did sneak a look.

I know I'll get attacked for saying this as posts not completely glowing of Meghan always do on this thread, but she clearly needs help with her wardrobe.

I think I could not agree more with you both. Anything but a full endorsement of Meghan's fashion choices does seem to lead to a lot of vitriol on some of these threads these days. I think this is quite sad.

At TRF, we have always enjoyed a variety of views, and have always had a lot of time for well reasoned arguments, as long as they are respectfully put together. I fear we appear to be loosing some of that tolerance for views contrary to our own on some of these threads these days.

Seeing as how many have stated opinions of disliking Meghan's clothes in the past and have not been met with vitriol your hypothesis is false. There is a difference between saying, i don't like her look, and nitpicking that is she wearing stockings, is she wearing enough British designers everytime she steps out.

Too much like a raincoat!
And it's back to beige. :sad:

I'm afraid this outfits makes it look like she has no waist...:sad:

Meghan certainly seems to favour this beige-pink colour a lot

Last edited:
I kinda like this one...nice color and style.

LaRae

Today Duchess Meghan is wearing:

��Dress @HouseofNonie
��Shoes @Dior
�� Handbag @MulberryEngland (thanks to @HeavenQRF!) #meghanmarkle

I like this, with a couple of caveats. The color is one she wears well, and the style is good for the event. I'm very happy to see a neckline that is not a boat neck, and I like the way the collar frames her face. I'm less enthusiastic about the messy hair; I don't think it looks casual, it just looks as though she didn't care enough to make an effort. We've seen how wonderful her hair can look, and this is not wonderful.

Also, in the second photo posted, there is the potential for a lot of leg to be showing. A windy day, or a photographer standing in exactly the right position, and that has the possibility for some embarrassment.

Aside from that, though, it's a nice look. Not great, but very nice.

I like today’s outfit. The blush pink really highlights her coloring. The style is chic and comfortable. Looking forward to pictures of the exhibit.

Love that bag! The dress is meh to me.

I like the trench dress. A trench look is never out of style. I’m quite impressed with how well made and how it holds in the shape with the collar and everything. Burberry take note for your trench coat, it’s hasn’t been up to standard the last couple years I looked.

I would like to see her go back to the hair at the British embassy dinner. But I guess she’s decided she won’t use a hair stylist every time she has an engagement.

Last edited:
I need to see video of this because that often changes my opinion for Meghan outfits, but from what I've seen this may be my least favorite look from her.

I think this needed to be shorter, the waist naturally shaped and tucked and more of a v-neck.

As always, I LOVE her purse.

The dress is House of Nonie which is Canadian. Clutch is Mulberry

Quite a messy look. The trench looks 2 sizes too big (..)

So, a Canadian design! I don't mind this dress at all, but I wish Meghan would try just a little colour. That yellow dress was lovely. Beige-pink doesn't really do it for me. Her hair is OK and I do like her bag.

I really like the trench dress and the shoes and bag are lovely. Don't mind the hair at all either. This is a good look for me.

I need to see video of this because that often changes my opinion for Meghan outfits, but from what I've seen this may be my least favorite look from her.

I think this needed to be shorter, the waist naturally shaped and tucked and more of a v-neck.

As always, I LOVE her purse.

The dress is House of Nonie which is Canadian. Clutch is Mulberry

There's quite a bit of video over on twitter.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom