The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 2: July 2018 - August 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Late to comment again, but:

Christening: I like green on Meghan, although olive is very seldom a favorite of mine. She wears it well. I like the hat, the dress is fine, though I'm not sure about those sleeves. Overall, a very nice look, although a bit somber for the time of year.

Today: I love the silhouette--so flattering! The hat/fascinator is fun, a nice whimsical touch against all that solid navy, and she wears it very well. Much as I love this dress and hat combination, my one quibble is that so much very, very, dark monochrome navy in July looks heavy and somber. When I just look at photos of Meghan, I can't think of anything I don't like about this outfit; when I look at her in group photos it's all very dark. Perhaps if the clutch had matched her shoes?

She is definitely evolving a distinctive "royal" style.

The foreign clothes continue......

Like the dress but again, not the headpiece. Personally I don't like fascinators with too many transparent materials. And I am afraid that I am not a fans of Stephen Jones so far.

The fascinator evokes images of airplane propellers

Your comment make me think of airplane propellers whenever I look back to her outfit today:bang::lol:.

I love the overall shape of this dress, but maybe it's just me... doesn't the chest area look a bit odd? Like she's not wearing fitting underwear...?

Like the dress but again, not the headpiece. Personally I don't like fascinators with too many transparent materials. And I am afraid that I am not a fans of Stephen Jones so far.

Yea. I think it would've been better if she started with Stephen Jones and moved on the Philip Tracey. They Stephen Jones hats are good, but I prefer the PTs. They were much better choices. PT wins the hat department for me.

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another slam dunk. I definitely am sensing her own unique style and I dig it.

I love the dress, the fascinator is not for me (somebody compared it to an airplane propeller), and I don't get the beige shoes at all.

I wonder if she plans on keeping those shoes on for the day? She'll like have outfit changes today given NI is right after and there is a garden party later. Nude doesn't clash with everything. I personally would've loved a lighter blue to bring out the navy.

I'm going to be a dissenting voice on this Dior. It's a good shape for her, if I don't look too closely I like it, but the details are not good. It's really stiff. The skirt looks like it could stand up on its own and the seams down the bust are wonky in places because the fabric is too heavy for that kind of cut. I like these lines on her very much, I like the color, it's all really great from a distance, I just wish they'd used a fabric that had a little life to it, a touch of movement, because that kind of skirt just calls for it and that kind of seaming needs to not be fighting between what the fabric wants to do and the movements of the body underneath it.

Yea. I think it would've been better if she started with Stephen Jones and moved on the Philip Tracey. They Stephen Jones hats are good, but I prefer the PTs. They were much better choices. PT wins the hat department for me.

I don't mind the fascinator, prefer the real hats...and I think she should stick to the P.T. hats, hasn't had a miss with those yet.

(..)

One thing I think Meghan may be doing (notice I say *may*) is amassing a working wardrobe with pretty minimalistic, solid color dresses (yellow, navy, olive green, blush etc) that can be the base of different looks depending on how she accessorizes them. Take the navy dress for example. Easy to mix it up with red or white or any other color. With a basic style of a dress, one can even add a blazer or jacket to them.

I'm getting the feeling that we've not seen the last of these dresses. She'll recycle them but each time making them look like a different outfit. I'm really wondering just how big her closet is at Nott Cott or does she have storage space for clothing in KP? I know that years ago, there was a specific room for all of Diana's clothes and gowns.

Love it! I do think the fit is a little tight in the chest, but this is a great silhouette on Meghan.

I have preferred her American designs more than her French though. The French houses seem to struggle with the perfect fit for Meghan...but the overall vibe from this outfit is pure chic.

Last edited:
Hm....I think I'll start at the top and work my way down. The fascinator....I don't hate it but I don't love it, either. I tend to prefer actual hats to fascinators but it's not terrible. The dress...I love, love, love this silhouette on Meghan. It's absolutely beautiful, the cut is incredibly flattering, it fits well...well done. As for the color...it seems very dark and heavy for July. I personally would have preferred this exact dress in a lighter shade of blue. Not a bright blue and maybe not even a baby blue but definitely a lighter shade. The style of the dress is perfect, though, and I would hope that we'll see her in this shape more often. The shoes and bag...eh. The shoes feel a bit out of place to me considering how dark the rest of her outfit is and the bag just kind of blends in. I think personally if she wanted to go with navy I would have preferred a light blue dress accented with a navy fascinator or hat, a navy bag, and navy shoes. But just my opinion.

Overall she looks very nice and I love that we're seeing her wear clothing that appears to fit well rather than be "oversized" and the boat neckline works beautifully for her.

After seeing this photo of HM and Meghan, I'm even more convinced that she should've worn blue shoes. Maybe not this particular shade of blue that HM is wearing, but a blue to bring out the navy.

On the other hand, I'm glad HM and Meghan didn't clash with each other in what they were wearing. That would be slightly awkward in pictures from the balcony. :lol:

I thought Meghan's dress was a dark blue. Daily Fail got it wrong and called it a little black dress.

I wouldn't expect anything less from them. :lol:

I love this entire look for the RAF ceremony. This is flawless!! The dress fits perfectly and I love the fun hat. I am happy to see her trying adventurous hats and not playing it safe with that.

I'm really wondering just how big her closet is at Nott Cott or does she have storage space for clothing in KP? I know that years ago, there was a specific room for all of Diana's clothes and gowns.

I was thinking about that very same thing a couple of days ago. I would think she has to have some storage at KP for her fast growing wardrobe.

I love that Meghan went with a full skirt for something different. I really like her look today. The hat is whimsical.

Perhaps the continual carrying on about foreign looks is obnoxious to other folks.

LaRae

Very. Every single time...no comment on the look or fit or accessories, just "another foreign label" comment, and it is indeed obnoxious. I don't see this on other BRF female fashion threads, especially those who choose to wear foreign brands. I say give the lady a year to figure out her "go to" brands before we start harping on the "foreign fashion brands" bandwagon. And personally, what big name Brit fashion house should she be flying the flag for:

1. Burberry: she's done that, and probably will again in the future.
2. McQueen: Kate is doing that one justice, and just as someone else pointed out, McQueen's bottom line goes to straight to France, and I don't see anyone taking issue with the DoC wearing McQueen.
3. Emilia Wickstead: HIGH PASS. She put her foot in her mouth.
4. Stella McCarthy: yes to this, and hope they continue to collaborate together.
5. Ralph and Russo: probably only for those once a year special occasions. However I see some complaining that actually they are Australians and that she should represent British brands more and venture off from Commonwealth brands...
6. And the list goes on....

Onto the critique of the DoS ensembles.

Yesterday's Christening dress, love everything about this look with the exception of the colour. I despise olive, but she somehow made it work, but it was the one draw back for me yesterday. I loved her hat, and that she choose a sleek ponytail to finish off the look. Loved the belt that "sort" of book up all of the olive.

Today's look. I LOVE, LOVE this look. I get the critique about the heavy material, but I actually think it's the same silk as her wedding dress. The colour may be a bit dark for summer, but somehow it still works in the setting.

We are nitpicking about everything else, so why not ?
It's a forum after all...
It's maybe the first time a British royal lady is so open with foreign brands fashion wise, and it's not necessarily a bad thing ...

Very. Every single time...no comment on the look or fit or accessories, just "another foreign label" comment, and it is indeed obnoxious. I don't see this on other BRF female fashion threads, especially those who choose to wear foreign brands. I say give the lady a year to figure out her "go to" brands before we start harping on the "foreign fashion brands" bandwagon. And personally, what big name Brit fashion house should she be flying the flag for:

1. Burberry: she's done that, and probably will again in the future.
2. McQueen: Kate is doing that one justice, and just as someone else pointed out, McQueen's bottom line goes to straight to France, and I don't see anyone taking issue with the DoC wearing McQueen.
3. Emilia Wickstead: HIGH PASS. She put her foot in her mouth.
4. Stella McCarthy: yes to this, and hope they continue to collaborate together.
5. Ralph and Russo: probably only for those once a year special occasions. However I see some complaining that actually they are Australians and that she should represent British brands more and venture off from Commonwealth brands...
6. And the list goes on....

Onto the critique of the DoS ensembles.

Yesterday's Christening dress, love everything about this look with the exception of the colour. I despise olive, but she somehow made it work, but it was the one draw back for me yesterday. I loved her hat, and that she choose a sleek ponytail to finish off the look. Loved the belt that "sort" of book up all of the olive.

Today's look. I LOVE, LOVE this look. I get the critique about the heavy material, but I actually think it's the same silk as her wedding dress. The colour may be a bit dark for summer, but somehow it still works in the setting.

You know, from that list above, I just don't think there is a lot of big names in UK houses that would rise to occasion these days other than McQueen and Jenny Packham. Neither of which are historic houses yet and Kate has a hold on those. Burberry is in trouble. I haven't seen anything good from them in awhile, so I'd hope she stays away until we see if Tisci can get it together. I'm sure we'll see more UK brands as she goes to more regular engagements rather than the big events that requires big guns.

Also, I don't think this is the same material as her wedding dress. The double bonded silk cady had a softer feel to it while holding a shape. This one definitely doesn't have the softness of the material used for her wedding dress. It gives a slightly different look and I think that's why the skirt is absolutely necessary to offset. It's a perfect balance between the top and the skirt though.

You know, from that list above, I just don't think there is a lot of big names in UK houses that would rise to occasion these days other than McQueen and Jenny Packham. Neither of which are historic houses yet and Kate has a hold on those. Burberry is in trouble. I haven't seen anything good from them in awhile, so I'd hope she stays away until we see if Tisci can get it together. I'm sure we'll see more UK brands as she goes to more regular engagements rather than the big events that requires big guns.

I think that her not wearing UK brands will be more of an issue if she chooses to wear exclusively French or American brands when she is doing tours. That would definitely not be seen as "flying the flag," and as she is meant to be representing UK interests/the Queen on those tours, I expect she would get some well-deserved criticism for that. I suspect she is much too wise to go that route, though, but we'll see.

I do think that her choice to not patronize many UK brands except for accessories in her last few outings is becoming rather pointed, however. Should be interesting to see what she pulls out for the visit to the Republic--I'm looking forward to that!

:previous:
Nico:
But is Meghan the *ONLY* royal woman to wear *foreign brands*? I wonder if the very fabric that the clothes of HM is made of comes from Britain or elsewhere? This is not to criticize HM yet from what I have seen most fabric comes from the Orient......I keep searching on the internet for fabric made in the US....:bang:

Anyhow as of today's dress, I love the dress, it is fabulous yet the cut and construction of the top part puts me off, if Dior then they know better to design the top like that. It just did not seem to fit Meghan properly on the top. The actual design is perfect for her tiny figure, love the flow of the skirt, that is beautiful. The hat, is that a hat or what......a big NO NO for the hat, love the bun and the make-up and the shoes, a small brooch, simple would of set the dress off as finished. (..)

I think that her not wearing UK brands will be more of an issue if she chooses to wear exclusively French or American brands when she is doing tours. That would definitely not be seen as "flying the flag," and as she is meant to be representing UK interests/the Queen on those tours, I expect she would get some well-deserved criticism for that. I suspect she is much too wise to go that route, though, but we'll see.

I do think that her choice to not patronize many UK brands except for accessories in her last few outings is becoming rather pointed, however. Should be interesting to see what she pulls out for the visit to the Republic--I'm looking forward to that!

Don't tours usually include a lot of local brands as well? But usually, tours don't require the brands that BP balcony would call for. It'll be interesting to see how she mixes it up. But my point was that there really aren't that many UK houses that can currently rise to the level. There are UK designers that can, but they don't necessarily work for a major UK house at the moment.

Someone made another point last time this discussion came up that she likely stayed away from UK designers right before the wedding to avoid all the speculations about who's designing her wedding dress and that's when the first batch of bespokens were ordered. And it takes time for bespokens to be designed and made tailored to her taste and size.

Seems like I am not alone in my thoughts re the decision of the Duchess to not wear British brands!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion...chic-should-duchess-sussex-have-worn-british/

But my point was that there really aren't that many UK houses that can currently rise to the level.

So now we have written off the British fashion industry in one fail sweep!!:lol:

Ladies of the BRF (including Diana, a fashion icon for many) have been okay for a long time without largely wearing foreign brands. Most of the current senior members of the BRF largely wear British brands when carrying out royal engagements. They do, on occasion, wear foreign brands, but that is by exception, rather than as a rule.

So here is a question for those of you who are dismayed by Meghan's dresses by American and French design houses. Who do you suggest she patronize?

Jacqui made an excellent point here--

Unless Meghan patronizes Kate's go to labels (McQueen, Packham, Catherine Walker) there don't seem to be a lot of choices for bespoke dresses--Stella McCartney and Victoria Beckham?

There are plenty of designers.

If Meghan does not know where to go, she can work with Angela Kelly, the Queens dresser, or hire a stylist, or ask the Duchess of Cambridge. If in doubt, there are always the York sisters for fashion advice :)

So here is a question for those of you who are dismayed by Meghan's dresses by American and French design houses. Who do you suggest she patronize?

Jacqui made an excellent point here--

But my point was that there really aren't that many UK houses that can currently rise to the level. There are UK designers that can, but they don't necessarily work for a major UK house at the moment.

Unless Meghan patronizes Kate's go to labels (McQueen, Packham, Catherine Walker) there don't seem to be a lot of choices for bespoke dresses--Stella McCartney and Victoria Beckham?

Goat, Erdem, Temperley, Beulah London, Madderson London, L.K. Bennett, Hobbs, Mulberry?

Last edited:
Don't tours usually include a lot of local brands as well? But usually, tours don't require the brands that BP balcony would call for. It'll be interesting to see how she mixes it up. But my point was that there really aren't that many UK houses that can currently rise to the level. There are UK designers that can, but they don't necessarily work for a major UK house at the moment.

Someone made another point last time this discussion came up that she likely stayed away from UK designers right before the wedding to avoid all the speculations about who's designing her wedding dress and that's when the first batch of bespokens were ordered. And it takes time for bespokens to be designed and made tailored to her taste and size.

Usually they do include local brands, and I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to seeing what ends up in that mix!

I don't disagree that there may not be a lot of Meghan's preferred design aesthetic currently in the UK design houses. I'm sure that's why she's been turning to some of the French and US designers--to get The Look that she wants. But she's also sending a pretty strong message with that, possibly unintentionally, and at some point it will be noticed and commented upon if she doesn't mix in a healthy dose of UK brands, even if they are not her first choice. She's facing a balancing act, for sure. She's a smart woman, I'm hopeful she'll get the balance worked out.

And, that is an excellent point about this possibly being the first batch of bespoke clothing, almost certainly ordered before the wedding.

I mean, I agree that this focus on foreign brands is repetitive and dull in terms of forum discussion and infighting, but at the same time to suggest there are no other big brands in the UK that would do the trick is just wrong.

And who cares if she wears the same brands as Kate? It happens all the time. I would love for her to work with a young and up and coming designer in the UK to put on the map like she did with Charlotte Elizabeth and her strathberry.

It isn’t as if her French designs are so groundbreaking or technical that they can’t be done by any talented designer in the UK.

As it is, I still think her American outfits have been her best in for and style.

Last edited:
Every time she wears something not from the U.K. does the question need to be asked? Really?

LaRae

If foreign brands were the exception, my comments could potentially be seen as tedious who don't see the point. In this case, it is the rule with Meghan.

If foreign brands were the exception, my comments could potentially be seen as tedious who don't see the point. In this case, it is the rule with Meghan.

It is not the rule..she has worn plenty of Commonwealth brands during the engagement ...no I don't conveniently dismiss that part. She's going to eventually wear Commonwealth brands again, we may even see some later today and tomorrow.

LaRae

Seems like I am not alone in my thoughts re the decision of the Duchess to not wear British brands!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion...chic-should-duchess-sussex-have-worn-british/

Wait, hold on. I always thought Roland Mouret as more of a French designer, hence why he was ruled out for the wedding dress even though he and the Duchess know each other personally (she did wear one of his dresses the night before her wedding as she arrived at Cliveden). I know he spent a lot of time in London early in his career, but his show has been in Paris for years and he is French. If people thinks wearing his clothes counts as British, I see no reason why CWK of Givenchy can't be.

And this article actually talked about the exact same problem that I talked about earlier regarding the lack of UK houses to choose from. I really don't think anyone else other than Burberry or Stella McCartney would even be a contender for the big events. I've already discussed the problem with Burberry. I just wouldn't trust them to do bespoken until they've figured out what they are now aesthetically. As for Stella, I see her as more of a fun and relaxed than a serious event designer. She went as far as saying the second wedding dress was to reflect the last moments of joy and human side of her before she takes on the "austere“ role. So Stella might be more appropriate for a regular engagement to charity or even banquet, but this type of event really isn't her thing.

Interesting tidbit about Princess Margaret though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom