The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 2: July 2018 - August 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
Not a great fan of olive green to be honest but the colour really suits Meghan. I thought she looked gorgeous. Loved the hat and the pony made a nice change. The dress fitted well and I liked the boat neckline. All good.
:previous: I agree that the color suits her especially with her warm skin tone. The ponytail was a good choice as the hat might have kept her from her usual bun.

More about her Ralph Lauren/Stephen Jones ensemble today.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...meghan-markle-dress-prince-louis-christening/

After weeks of only wearing blush, white, and off-white to royal events, Meghan Markle has finally introduced another color into her official wardrobe: olive green. The Duchess of Sussex just arrived at Prince Louis's christening at St. James Palace wearing a belted Ralph Lauren dress, paired with a Stephen Jones hat, and matching pumps for the occasion, and sporting the shade from head to toe. She also appears to be carrying gloves.

Last edited:
She looks amazing. From the hat down to the shoes. I didn’t expect to love the olive green, but it definitely works on Meghan. That hat is to die for.

Not my cup of tea. The colour is pretty awful and spoils everything for me.

I absolutely love the whole look! Nice change in hairstyle with the ponytail.

:previous: I agree that the color suits her especially with her warm skin tone. The ponytail was a good choice as the hat might have kept her from her usual bun.

More about her Ralph Lauren/Stephen Jones ensemble today.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...meghan-markle-dress-prince-louis-christening/

Just for clarification:

This is what I was referring to with Meghan's outfit information being at the ready to be released to the public when she appears in it. It doesn't happen by chance that the designer of the dress, hat, shoes and everything else sends reporters into a tailspin trying to figure it all out. KP releases the information and its embargoed until she steps out in it. :D

Yes it would be helpful if the information was provided by the respective palaces, but I believe that the intrepid and eager Internet fashion detectives would be disappointed by missing their "name that designer" missions. ? I can envision them burning up their keyboards searching designer websites.

Yes it would be helpful if the information was provided by the respective palaces, but I believe that the intrepid and eager Internet fashion detectives would be disappointed by missing their "name that designer" missions. ?

The Palace provides the designer for dress and hat (if there is one) on most occasions with some exceptions (none is ever released on any type of Remembrance event). They still have the accessories to have fun with. :lol:

BTW, I notice the uproar over whether or not she's wearing tights each time is gone. :lol:

There'll always be something. :whistling:

The Queen is there = tights, the Queen is absent = no tights. She clearly wears it as a sign of respect to HM, but like most people prefers to go without. There is no protocol around 'tights wearing', certainly not in the summer.

Olive is not my favourite colour but it does work on her darker olive complexion. Love the ponytail and the hat is interesting. Dress is purposeful but not my favourite either - although I think the colour is doing the damage here for me personally and I would have probably loved the dress in a different colour. I reckon this ensemble in navy would have been stunning, but probably too dark for a Christening.

I wouldn't expect olive green for the summer but it works for Meghan. This is a family event. American brand nice. She is not required to fly the Union Jack for every event she attends fashion wise, the same for other royal women. As long as it's appropriate that's fine.

The Queen is there = tights, the Queen is absent = no tights. She clearly wears it as a sign of respect to HM, but like most people prefers to go without. There is no protocol around 'tights wearing', certainly not in the summer.

It's not just the Queen. If it's more of a formal and serious event, she'll wear it. If it's a more relaxed one, she won't. She wore tights to ANZAC events and today.

I love this shade of green on Meghan - it's another colour that really suits her skin tone. I like her hat too, it's formal but still subtle and not OTT.

I wouldn't expect olive green for the summer but it works for Meghan. This is a family event. American brand nice. She is not required to fly the Union Jack for every event she attends fashion wise, the same for other royal women. As long as it's appropriate that's fine.

Therein lies the differentiation between her personal wardrobe and her working wardrobe. For family events and such she wears whatever she chooses to while if its an "official" outfit for an "official" engagement, she'll be in her working wardrobe. It also differentiates who is paying for the outfit also, I believe.

It's not just the Queen. If it's more of a formal and serious event, she'll wear it. If it's a more relaxed one, she won't. She wore tights to ANZAC events and today.

Oh, I didn't see it today. Golly, it must be hot and uncomfortable, but at least she is not wearing a coat dress(although the Doc and Pippa look lovely) Today's humidity really knocks a punch in the city today. London can really trap the heat. (Especially if you happen to work in a glass tower :lol:)

I quite like her dress/look today...great color for her and the style is lovely...the hat works well too. Elegant all the way around.

LaRae

Last edited:
Also, I love that the DoS is wearing another Stephen Jones piece - he often takes a backseat to PT in royal circles but he is mad talented. You are not made an OBE for nothing! :)

Last edited:
Not usually a fan of olive green but Meghan is making it work. Olive green and the yellow from last week are colors that don't look great on a lot of women so I think I'm unconsciously biased. Kudos to Meghan for knowing which colors look good on her. I really like the style and cut of this dress though. All around a very good look.

Jacqui24 I always check for the stockings but don't always comment about them. There's only so many times I can tease MARG. :flowers: The pattern I've seen has been stockings to church or any engagements with HMQ. Otherwise, it's bare legs. The Buckingham Palace garden party was the one exception which still confuses me. I think Meghan missed the memo because even Camilla didn't have on stockings that day.

Of course, wouldn't expect anything less. And the color is called olive drab, how appropriate! Dull, drab, unpatriotic and probably expensive, that's the new duchess's style.

Unpatriotic?? What exactly is a patriotic outfit?? Is she supposed to wear the Union Jack?

Unpatriotic?? What exactly is a patriotic outfit?? Is she supposed to wear the Union Jack?

I imagine she means the dress is from "an American" thereby being "unpatriotic" to Britain.;)

Not a fan of the color but the neckline is nice-was hoping for something a little edgy from her a la the Stella McCartney gown she wore for the wedding after party but there's plenty of time for that later on. Good choice of hairstyle!

Of course, wouldn't expect anything less. And the color is called olive drab, how appropriate! Dull, drab, unpatriotic and probably expensive, that's the new duchess's style.

(..)

The color in the fashion world that I used to belong to is called *Olive Green* and it is anything but drab.

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like this look today! The fit of the dress manages to both be elegantly relaxed and fitted where it counts. It suits her very well. I adore those sleeves. And I'm a big fan of olive green. I'm wearing pants that color right now, as a matter of fact. I think it's a great shade for letting the face take center stage, because most skin tones seem to almost glow next to it, hers included.

I don't love the bow detail on the hat, but I do like the sheerness of it and the shape is a really good one for her.

My one big nitpick is that I'd rather not see such matchy-matchy shoes. It's starting to look like exactly matching shoe color is coming back as a red carpet trend, but I'm old enough to have worn dye-to-match shoes with prom and bridesmaid dresses back in the 80s and 90s and I just can't shake that association with shoes that are an exact or near-exact color match to clothing. We don't really need to relive that trend, do we?

My one big nitpick is that I'd rather not see such matchy-matchy shoes. It's starting to look like exactly matching shoe color is coming back as a red carpet trend, but I'm old enough to have worn dye-to-match shoes with prom and bridesmaid dresses back in the 80s and 90s and I just can't shake that association with shoes that are an exact or near-exact color match to clothing. We don't really need to relive that trend, do we?

I'm not always overly crazy about the matching the shoes/bag to the dress look either but in this case I think it works. To be honest I'm a little bit sick of the whole nude shoes look so if it takes matchy-matchy to step away from that for a moment then I'm willing to give it a go.

I'm not always overly crazy about the matching the shoes/bag to the dress look either but in this case I think it works. To be honest I'm a little bit sick of the whole nude shoes look so if it takes matchy-matchy to step away from that for a moment then I'm willing to give it a go.

At least when Meghan goes for a neutral shoe color she seems to generally choose ones with some sort of interesting design detail, like a cutout. I hope she keeps that up.

I just love this entire outfit on Meghan and *Olive Green* is one of my favorite colors. I am a redhead, and that color really works well on me even with my Irish complexion and I have many pieces of it in my closet today.....I am wondering if this is a *one piece* outfit or a *two piece* as from looking at it is the top tucked into the skirt? I love the sleeves, how chic to wear sleeves like this, this outfit looks so well made and made custom for her, love that hair back in a chic pony tail and not flying around, love her make-up and everything else....just a really gorgeous outfit for this family event......

I like her outfit better than Kate's. The olive green is a great color on her.

I loved her outfit. Her skin glowed in that dress. It's good that the hat was created by a British designer. Stephen Jones makes wonderful hats.

But I do agree she needs to wear more UK designers.

Olive Green - not necessarily a colour I would have chosen but the more I look at her, the more I like it. :flowers:
By saying that - I still prefer her soft pink outfits - but mainly due to personal preference......

I really like the outfit today and I didn't mind the Olive Green ,in all I thought the duchess looked very refined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom