The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 2: July 2018 - August 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At times the duchess looks rather wobbly on her high heels. She probably wears them to make up for some of the height difference but I would be fine with her wearing lower heels and walking and standing a little more steady and not hurting her feet as much.

Agreed that she often looks a bit wobbly but I really think it's more to do with the fit of her shoes than with any trouble walking in high heels. I think she'd do just fine if her shoes actually fit properly but I can't think of a single pair of shoes that I've seen her wear that don't appear to be at least a half size, if not a full size, too big. I'm going to hazard a guess that many of her shoes were purchased during her previous career and as such she employed the trick that many people use in purchasing them a bit big so they'd be more comfortable during long hours on one's feet. However, when a big part of her job now is to be able to comfortably walk during engagements, walkabouts, tours, services, etc. she really probably should invest in some new shoes that actually fit and will allow her to walk without the wobble.

Just a question .... does anyone think that Victoria Beckham might be a match? It seems to me that her style is pretty close to Meghan's style.

I would say she might wear some of the ready-to-wear, but I don't know about beyond that. I remember back in her acting days, Meghan mentioned Victoria Beckham in an interview or something one time. She's a great admirer of her work, but admits that it's not necessarily for her body shape. Meghan is well aware that she has a short torso. :lol:

I'm not missing any point. I'm saying there will be some British brands over time, but not always. It's been less than two months, and people are already drawing conclusions. I don't think McQueen and Jenny Packham will be her go to brand as they are the DoC's. We'll see some from time to time, but not a great deal of them. Burberry is still trying to get their act together after hiring of Tisci. Although I don't see Packham or Tisci as much of a good match for the Duchess' aesthetics, but then again, I never thought McQueen's usual style is suitable for Kate and they've made not so McQueen dresses for her. Given the situation, I'm not sure what other major luxury UK brands are there that's at the caliber required at times (DON'T get me started on Erdem). And that's purely speaking from a fashion standpoint.

Maybe Meghan should do some research, find some young up-and-coming Commonwealth designers and patronize them. I would think it would be a great idea to find someone just starting out and acquaint them with her style and see what they can do. Start out with the more informal events to give them a taste of what you're looking for and then once they are comfortable start trying the more challenging formal events.

Some of Charles' best work has been The Prince's Trust, encouraging young Commonwealth entrepreneurs. I think this is the best path for Meghan's fashion, and speaks to her audience which is no longer Hollywood USA. She needs to get some courage and try some newer designers, maybe then she wouldn't be such a fashion bore.

Maybe Meghan should do some research, find some young up-and-coming Commonwealth designers and patronize them. I would think it would be a great idea to find someone just starting out and acquaint them with her style and see what they can do. Start out with the more informal events to give them a taste of what you're looking for and then once they are comfortable start trying the more challenging formal events.

Some of Charles' best work has been The Prince's Trust, encouraging young Commonwealth entrepreneurs. I think this is the best path for Meghan's fashion, and speaks to her audience which is no longer Hollywood USA. She needs to get some courage and try some newer designers, maybe then she wouldn't be such a fashion bore.
And she has done that, but they aren't at a caliber to design to the events she's attended in the mean time. It's been two months, highly doubt you can transform someone from young and up and coming to CWK in a snap of a finger. Funny you mention the Prince's Trust, because she has actually carried a bag from a designer that's a beneficiary of The Prince's Trust to an engagement.

She needs to get some courage and try some newer designers, maybe then she wouldn't be such a fashion bore.

Not everyone finds her fashion choices boring you know. So far I have liked almost all of her clothes and I really hope she keeps going down the path she is on now.

I loved this last dress. It fit wonderfully and the colour looked amazing on her. As for her shoes.. I myself prefer a lower, thicker heel, but kuddos to everyone who can walk on this without breaking bones.

As time passes and Meghan gets more and more into the swing of things and picking her patronages and organizations that she'll sponsor, it wouldn't surprise me one bit that perhaps one of her areas of focus would be on youth that aspire to work in the fashion business. This would be a wonderful area for Meghan to promote along with wearing designs that these young people create.

She's not even been living in the UK for a year yet but as she adjusts and adapts to her new country, the opportunities to meet and greet up and coming British designers are going to greatly expand.

For now, going with the tried and true designers that she likes and feels flatters her is a safe way to go. She's got years ahead of her to figure out how best to supplement her wardrobe and make it work.

She probably will but it has been barely 2 months. I could get this argument with a larger sample size. Can she hit 6 months? I am sure we will be seeing her in plenty of UK designers as well as continuing foreign designers just like the rest of the royals. And I am sure people will find issue with who she picks in those regards too.

I think Meghan looked amazing in this dress!

I think people are making too big of a deal on this commonwealth designer issue. Meghan will do what She feels best. She’s been untraditional before. Will she wear them? Of course, but maybe not that often. If she were going to be the future Queen I would have an issue, but she’s not.

Nice that you discount the designers worn BEFORE the wedding...lies, damn lies and statistics at play here.

LaRae

Yeah, I guess that doesn't count, RIGHT:p.

Like I said before, she is a Grown woman, & she is going to play by her own rules( somewhat) as long as it doesn't bring drama & truly breaking some kind of OFFICAL rule. She will put on the Pantyhose, when need be, put on a hat, etc...…. Megan & Harry both said before, she is on a different path now. But, will not turning into a completely different person. She is still who she is.

She hasn't gone out giving political speeches on the British take on the EU or anything. She looks WONDERFUL, in that Color, the Cut of the Dress, The shoes, ETC...……. She is a Fan of Basic CLASSIC cuts, Dresses, shoes, suits, pants, etc.... You know, the looks that NEVER go out of style.

A yellow dress 2 days before England play Sweden in the quarter finals of the World Cup? Really? A bit of an own goal (pardon the pun).

A bit of an own goal (pardon the pun).

Wha ?.. Yellow and Blue 'on the day' ITSELF might have been.. but the above is an absurd accusation !

A yellow dress 2 days before England play Sweden in the quarter finals of the World Cup? Really? A bit of an own goal (pardon the pun).

I appreciate a good joke as much as the next person but this joke and critique feels like a real reach. Guess we should count ourselves lucky she didn't wear the navy pumps after all.

Last edited:
Just a question .... does anyone think that Victoria Beckham might be a match? It seems to me that her style is pretty close to Meghan's style.
I always said if I had to wear British it would be Victoria Beckham. I'm starting to wonder if she could have done a better wedding dress as well.

I appreciate a good joke as much as the next person but this joke and critique feels like a real reach. Guess we should count ourselves lucky she didn't wear the navy pumps after all.

?

I'm not sure I would have liked any other color heel with that dress except nude or black anyway.

Such a reach that it made the front page of at least one of the national newspapers today.

For goodness sake, you all need to lighten up in this thread.

I too can appreciate a joke. However, British newspapers are liable to reach for anything in the chase for Clickbait. And to print that Meghan mistakenly wore a yellow dress in order to disrespect the England soccer team is just ridiculous in the extreme, IMO.

Last edited:
This is why I contend Meghan needs to wear what she wants and ignore everyone else. People will look to anywhere to make a fuss over, this soccer thing is a new low.

Such a reach that it made the front page of at least one of the national newspapers today.

The media always take swipes at Meghan. Not surprised they accusing her of rooting for the competition. That said, glad it was a joke. It is truly hard to tell anymore in Meghan threads.

I know someone joked about the navy shoes, but purely from a fashion perspective, the right shade of blue suede stiletto would look great with that yellow. Black is just eh and would actually bring down the outfit. The right Navy and yellow would’ve been really fun. Again, this is just from a fashion perspective, nothing to do with how it would connect to soccer. I couldn’t care less about that.

The media always take swipes at Meghan. Not surprised they accusing her of rooting for the competition. That said, glad it was a joke. It is truly hard to tell anymore in Meghan threads.

I have vivid memories of the same kind of weird nitpicking going on with the DoC in the early days: what she wore, what she said, her hair, her hats, the expression on her face, her eyebrows, her makeup, her laugh, her skirt lengths, whether she was wearing underwear or not--on and on and on and on. That doesn't make the hypercriticism directed at Meghan any less ridiculous, but it does put it, perhaps, a little bit in perspective. It's as though it's some strange kind of hazing ritual that some people, and a large segment of the media, feel compelled to engage in until they either lose interest in it, or she finally becomes familiar enough that it no longer is as fun for them.

The yellow dress is just the latest non-issue to be blown out of proportion.

Last edited:
:previous: Good point Ista.This might be new to some who have only recently begun to follow royals, but I've seen similar comments made about the British brides but also the European brides who married into the royal families between 1999 and 2004: Mette Marit, Mathilde, Maxima, Mary, and Letizia. :)Eventually everyone seemed to accept their individual styles and more generic comments became the norm.

Five years from now I doubt we'll see such animated discussions about Meghan's sartorial choices.

Last edited:
Five years from now I doubt we'll see such animated discussions about Meghan's sartorial choices.

Oh, I know we won't, because her style is so snooze-worthy we'll all have moved on looooong before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know someone joked about the navy shoes, but purely from a fashion perspective, the right shade of blue suede stiletto would look great with that yellow.

Agreed. Swapping the nude Manolo's with her blue ones or even a dark grey stiletto would've elevated the look. Unfortunately I couldn't find an eye roll emoji when I made my original comment.

I took your comment at face value. My bad if you were just joking. Pretty sure I never accused you (or anyone else) of being a hater though. Just that I found the sentiment laughable but not funny.

Last edited:
I know someone joked about the navy shoes, but purely from a fashion perspective, the right shade of blue suede stiletto would look great with that yellow. Black is just eh and would actually bring down the outfit. The right Navy and yellow would’ve been really fun. Again, this is just from a fashion perspective, nothing to do with how it would connect to soccer. I couldn’t care less about that.
I love the idea of blue shoes with her yellow dress. It would have really popped. As for Meghan needing to wear UK and Commonwealth sourced clothing, that is BS. She certainly gave a hand to several small firms with her bags and coats.

Meghan is at a point where she is trying to create a wardrobe suitable for the kind of higher profile engagements that she has attended so far. Those types of ensembles are not likely to be found in quantity in any working woman's wardrobe.

She has lots of casual, dressy casual and variations on the obligatory LBD, but they carried her through the bulk of the visits she did post engagement with Harry. However, we haven't even got to formal wear yet and I'm thinking she will need some for her coming tour which is mercifully short.

I remember the furore when both Sophie and Catherine joined the BRF they came under fire for their wild spending on clothing. But that is a given at the beginning of any royal marriage, only now, with instant internet access, they can flash a photo with a price tag attached before they have even left and engagement. Basically, it is just a lot of smoke and noise.

Wickstead, Packham, and McQueen get enough PR from Kate.

Meghan has certainly worn a share of British/commonwealth labelsA

-Hiut: small local Welsh denim company Meghan wore their jeans
-Burberry: she has worn a number of pieces including her plaid coat
-Strathberry: has at least 2 purses from the Scottish brand
-Alexander McQueen: her tuxedo she wore to Endeavor Awards
-Stella McCartney: coat in Wales
-Demellier London: handbag
-Goat: garden party
-Philip Treacy
-Tamara Mellon shoes
-Victoria Beckham- cashmere sweater in NIreland
-Greta Constantine (Canadian)-green skirt in NIreland
-Amanda Wakely- the white coat to the commonwealth service
-All-Saints: London brand, turtleneck
-Jason Wu (Canadian) her belted dress when she appeared with the Cambridges
-Tabitha Simmons boots
-Jigsaw
-Marks and Spencers
-Smythe (Canadian) coat
-Sentaler coat at Christmas (Canada)
-Joseph (first engagement)
-Mackage (Canadian)
-Ralph and Russo
-Line (Canadian) engagement jacket

I may have missed a few. I am sure as her wardrobe expands as she grows into her new role, the list will grow.

I for one am sick of complaints about royal women spending money on their own wardrobe when they marry into the family. How is this NOT COMMON SENSE?! They've made a significant career change and no women has the wardrobe necessary to fulfill such a new role. I remember hearing complaints about Diana and Sarah, now I hear Sophie had the complaints as well. Many people with drastic career changes have to buy new wardrobes. Sorry for my rant that was kind of off topic.

-Philip Treacy
-Tamara Mellon shoes
-Tabitha Simmons boots
-Jigsaw
-Marks and Spencers
-Smythe (Canadian) coat
-Mackage (Canadian)
-Ralph and Russo

I may have missed a few. I am sure as her wardrobe expands as she grows into her new role, the list will grow.

Charlotte Elizabeth bag, which the designer herself is a beneficiary of The Prince’s Trust. Stella McCartney also designed her second wedding dress. Jimmy Choo has also seen some love. But that's a really good and comprehensive list.

Last edited:

-Philip Treacy
-Tamara Mellon shoes
-Tabitha Simmons boots
-Jigsaw
-Marks and Spencers
-Smythe (Canadian) coat
-Mackage (Canadian)
-Ralph and Russo

Wow. Thanks for your effort.:flowers: How many engagements she had so far? It's a quite massive list.

But it's a shame that some people would still complain she doesn't support British/Commonweath brand enough whenever she picks a non British/Commonweath brand......probably Meghan has to blacklist all non British/Commonweath brand to satisfy some people. :whistling:

I remember the furore when both Sophie and Catherine joined the BRF they came under fire for their wild spending on clothing. But that is a given at the beginning of any royal marriage, only now, with instant internet access, they can flash a photo with a price tag attached before they have even left and engagement. Basically, it is just a lot of smoke and noise.

I don't remember any furor at all with Sophie's clothes, certainly nothing about wild spending?! Besides, we've been asked by the moderators not to compare royal ladies.

Eh. Too each their own. Blue stilettos would have cheapened the look for me. I'd definitely choose a black heel before blue but I'm glad she went with a nude.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom