The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 2: July 2018 - August 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Lovely as the dress is, I find it very, very disappointing that this lady continues to fail to support British and Commonwealth fashion.

I get that people are upset she's worn other designers in a roll, but continues to fail to support really? Did I imagine the times she's worn UK and Canadian brands? Line the Label? Mackage? Strathberry? Hiut? Goat Fashion? McQueen? Burberry? Sentaler, who had their first London show at least partially due to the interest generated from her wearing their coats? I could go on, but I think people get the point. She's actually supported far more UK and Commonwealth designers in her public outings than others.

Last edited:
She literally revived some UK brands in the past 6 months. She has shown plenty of support for UK brands km the past 7-9 months since she was engaged.

And yet almost no one acknowledged it back then... :whistling:

This is a Commonwealth event. It’s an own goal to wear an American designer. She did the same thing at her previous Commonwealth engagement.

The virtue signalling with her wedding dress embroidered with Commonwealth symbols is eyebrow raising.

Love that it's a colour, don't like anything else about. That bun is too tight for head as well.

This is a Commonwealth event. It’s an own goal to wear an American designer. She did the same thing at her previous Commonwealth engagement.

The virtue signalling with her wedding dress embroidered with Commonwealth symbols is eyebrow raising.

If you thought that was virtual signaling, her going out her way to dress particularly designers wouldn't be? It's a symbolic gesture on an important outfit. Most of us can agree that a wedding dress typically is more meaningful than just another dress, but we likely won't say the same about all the other dresses we wear during our lifetime. I have no problem with her trying to incorporate something meaningful in her wedding dress (well, veil, but it's the whole look thing) and not necessarily do it to a point of going overboard on a daily basis.

Seriously, people just want to latch onto something to criticize at this point. Some days she'll wear UK or Commonwealth designers, and some days she won't. It's quite simple.

Last edited:
She is a grown woman & can put on label she wishes. She has been spreading the wealth( so to speak) for awhile now. no matter who she picks, she will do that designer & their house proud. And EXCUSE ME, am I crazy but, wasn't her Wedding Dress made by a British Designer( well British Born). & to date that is the most important dress that she has ever worn.

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
She is a grown woman & can put on label she wishes. She has been spreading the wealth( so to speak) for awhile now. no matter who she picks, she will do that designer & their house proud. And EXCUSE ME, am I crazy but, wasn't her Wedding Dress made by a British Designer( well British Born). & to date that is the most important dress that she has ever worn.

And British educated. She learned to design in British schools. Also a working mother who is very successful.

Anyways, I know this the Duchess of Sussex daytime fashion thread, but I do want to give a shout out to the Secretary-General for her outfit. Both ladies looked stunning in the bright and bold colors they choose. My eyes are happy they picked colors that didn't clash while standing out.

If you thought that was virtual signaling, her going out her way to dress particularly designers wouldn't be? It's a symbolic gesture on an important outfit. Most of us can agree that a wedding dress typically is more meaningful than just another dress, but we likely won't say the same about all the other dresses we wear during our lifetime. I have no problem with her trying to incorporate something meaningful in her wedding dress (well, veil, but it's the whole look thing) and not necessarily do it to a point of going overboard on a daily basis.

Seriously, people just want to latch onto something to criticize at this point. Some days she'll wear UK or Commonwealth designers, and some days she won't. It's quite simple.

Standing O, ?? you are so spot on. Then again, Megan was never a serious GF, just someone to pass the time until a proper British woman came along. Wink Wink ;)

Not a fan of the dress but the colour looks really good on her!

I get that people are upset she's worn other designers in a roll, but continues to fail to support really? Did I imagine the times she's worn UK and Canadian brands? Line the Label? Mackage? Strathberry? Hiut? Goat Fashion? McQueen? Burberry? Sentaler, who had their first London show at least partially due to the interest generated from her wearing their coats? I could go on, but I think people get the point. She's actually supported far more UK and Commonwealth designers in her public outings than others.
What percentage of the dresses she has worn since her wedding are by British fashion houses?

She literally revived some UK brands in the past 6 months. She has shown plenty of support for UK brands km the past 7-9 months since she was engaged.
She has hardly worn any British brands since the wedding.

(..)
Of course she can wear what she wants, but in my view, it's hardly a way to ingratiate herself with the British people if she can't even support their businesses at a time of economic uncertainty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice that you discount the designers worn BEFORE the wedding...lies, damn lies and statistics at play here.

LaRae

Elegant! Bright! Graceful!

What percentage of the dresses she has worn since her wedding are by British fashion houses?

What percentage of engagements her post wedding account for overall?

And as for your later post about her ingratiating herself to the British people by promoting British house in times of economic uncertainty. Did she only start having impact on fashion after her wedding?

What percentage of engagements her post wedding account for overall? And did she only start having impact on fashion after her wedding?
It's only after the wedding is she a working member of the BRF, so that's the relevant period, IMO

It's only after the wedding is she a working member of the BRF, so that's the relevant period, IMO

Actually that's not the case given the amount of impact she has had on some brands prior to her wedding. Nor has she been treated as anything other than a member of the BRF since her engagement. Case in point? She was seated ahead of Prince Andrew and Princess Anne at Commonwealth Service. She's worn the appropriate level of brands for the events she's attended since her wedding and before.

Last edited:
Actually that's not the case given the amount of impact she has had on some brands prior to her wedding. Nor has she been treated as anything other than a member of the BRF since her engagement. Case in point? She was seated ahead of Prince Andrew and Princess Anne at Commonwealth Service. She's worn the appropriate level of brands for the events she's attended since her wedding and before.
She was never a representative of HM before the wedding. At the said event, she was merely accompanying Prince Harry as his fiance

She was never a representative of HM before the wedding. At the said event, she was merely accompanying Prince Harry as his fiance

We are going down the road to technicality, and that does not reflect the reality of what she has done for UK and Commonwealth designers since her engagement.

She looks great! The color and style are very flattering.

We are going down the road to technicality, and that does not reflect the reality of what she has done for UK and Commonwealth designers since her engagement.
I think she has done a lot for Givenchy and Prada, but not for British business

She simply looks fabulous in that color, love the cut of the dress too very flattering.

Her Royal Highness looked lovely and appropriate and they looked cute when walking down the steps they held hands again.
The bun was a bit severe. But it is hot over there and having your hair off the neck might help to keep oneself a little cooler. The dress certainly looked like a cool choice as well.

I think she has done a lot for Givenchy and Prada, but not for British business

I think she has done far more and made a much bigger difference for brands like Line The Label, Strathsberry, Hiut Denim, and others than she has done for Givenchy or Prada. And I've said same about her impact on Burberry when she wore their stuff. Those brands not only saw what she wore sell out, but because of their overall bottom line is much smaller and much limited marketing budget, she's actually made far more of difference than what she's able to do when wearing major luxury brands that can afford their own marketing. Especially when she wears bespoken pieces that aren't available as ready to wear. Even when it's available, it's likely to have a much more limited number of people that can just shell out thousands for an outfit.

Now that's not to say royals will never wear the established brands as there are occasions that calls for it.

Hiut Denim had to move to bigger factory to satisfy demand after she wore their jeans, but I highly doubt that to be the case for Burberry, Givenchy, Prada or Stella McCartney.

A hypothetical question...

...but one I’m interested in...

Are other female members of the BRF responsible for promoting British designers, Princess Anne, Camilla, HM? Or do only the younger women share that duty?

...but one I’m interested in...

Are other female members of the BRF responsible for promoting British designers, Princess Anne, Camilla, HM? Or do only the younger women share that duty?
All of them are, which is why you rarely see Camilla in a foreign label.

This yellow dress is perfect and you need a perfect figure to wear it and she HAS !

Hmm and how convenient that that supports your view that she doesn't support British designers.

Meghan did a dozen outings before her wedding and wore British reviving some struggling businesses; but that doesn't support your view so you want to discount it. When Meghan does where British I suspect you will still complain because its not enough in your opinion.

As for Meghan herself I love the color on her and think it looks great. Happy to actually see her putting some effort into her hair.

Nice frock, nice colour.

Lovely to see Meghan in such a vibrant colour. Clean, simple line to this style which is perfect for the occasion and the season.

Can’t stand the dress. Also I really wish she’d ditch the come hither looks.

Lady GaGa’s stylist. I’m not surprised.

Have to disagree. I love the color and honestly I am not getting the "come hither" vibe from this shift dress. IMHO it looks like a style that Diana would have selected for her daytime engagements. ?

I've had a chance to look at other photos of Meghan in the yellow dress, and this has got to be the best fitting dress I've seen her wear. She is a little short-waisted and some of her clothes, although I may otherwise like them (or not) sometimes seem to suffer from fit issues due to the fact that the waist on the dress is clearly not at her waist. The DoC has the same problem in reverse: she's longer waisted than a lot of her dresses, which also affects fit. So, this yellow dress is perfect. Great color, cool, sleek, and perfectly cut. She looks beautiful, and, more importantly, absolutely appropriate for the event.

All that said, I do tend to agree that she really needs to start wearing and showcasing UK and Commonwealth design houses. What she wore prior to her wedding was all well and good, but she is in a different position now, and it's time to start adding some of the UK and Commonwealth talent into the rotation. I'm sure she will, but the sooner the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom