The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 02:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
A bit of an own goal (pardon the pun).
Wha ?.. Yellow and Blue 'on the day' ITSELF might have been.. but the above is an absurd accusation !

Old 07-06-2018, 02:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
A yellow dress 2 days before England play Sweden in the quarter finals of the World Cup? Really? A bit of an own goal (pardon the pun).
I appreciate a good joke as much as the next person but this joke and critique feels like a real reach. Guess we should count ourselves lucky she didn't wear the navy pumps after all.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
Just a question .... does anyone think that Victoria Beckham might be a match? It seems to me that her style is pretty close to Meghan's style.
I always said if I had to wear British it would be Victoria Beckham. I'm starting to wonder if she could have done a better wedding dress as well.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Suitor View Post
I appreciate a good joke as much as the next person but this joke and critique feels like a real reach. Guess we should count ourselves lucky she didn't wear the navy pumps after all.

I'm not sure I would have liked any other color heel with that dress except nude or black anyway.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Suitor View Post
Such a reach that it made the front page of at least one of the national newspapers today.

For goodness sake, you all need to lighten up in this thread.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:22 PM
Majesty

I too can appreciate a joke. However, British newspapers are liable to reach for anything in the chase for Clickbait. And to print that Meghan mistakenly wore a yellow dress in order to disrespect the England soccer team is just ridiculous in the extreme, IMO.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

This is why I contend Meghan needs to wear what she wants and ignore everyone else. People will look to anywhere to make a fuss over, this soccer thing is a new low.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Such a reach that it made the front page of at least one of the national newspapers today.

The media always take swipes at Meghan. Not surprised they accusing her of rooting for the competition. That said, glad it was a joke. It is truly hard to tell anymore in Meghan threads.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I know someone joked about the navy shoes, but purely from a fashion perspective, the right shade of blue suede stiletto would look great with that yellow. Black is just eh and would actually bring down the outfit. The right Navy and yellow would’ve been really fun. Again, this is just from a fashion perspective, nothing to do with how it would connect to soccer. I couldn’t care less about that.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
The media always take swipes at Meghan. Not surprised they accusing her of rooting for the competition. That said, glad it was a joke. It is truly hard to tell anymore in Meghan threads.
I have vivid memories of the same kind of weird nitpicking going on with the DoC in the early days: what she wore, what she said, her hair, her hats, the expression on her face, her eyebrows, her makeup, her laugh, her skirt lengths, whether she was wearing underwear or not--on and on and on and on. That doesn't make the hypercriticism directed at Meghan any less ridiculous, but it does put it, perhaps, a little bit in perspective. It's as though it's some strange kind of hazing ritual that some people, and a large segment of the media, feel compelled to engage in until they either lose interest in it, or she finally becomes familiar enough that it no longer is as fun for them.

The yellow dress is just the latest non-issue to be blown out of proportion.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Good point Ista.This might be new to some who have only recently begun to follow royals, but I've seen similar comments made about the British brides but also the European brides who married into the royal families between 1999 and 2004: Mette Marit, Mathilde, Maxima, Mary, and Letizia. Eventually everyone seemed to accept their individual styles and more generic comments became the norm.

Five years from now I doubt we'll see such animated discussions about Meghan's sartorial choices.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Five years from now I doubt we'll see such animated discussions about Meghan's sartorial choices.
Oh, I know we won't, because her style is so snooze-worthy we'll all have moved on looooong before.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I know someone joked about the navy shoes, but purely from a fashion perspective, the right shade of blue suede stiletto would look great with that yellow.
Agreed. Swapping the nude Manolo's with her blue ones or even a dark grey stiletto would've elevated the look. Unfortunately I couldn't find an eye roll emoji when I made my original comment.

Quote:
I took your comment at face value. My bad if you were just joking. Pretty sure I never accused you (or anyone else) of being a hater though. Just that I found the sentiment laughable but not funny.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I know someone joked about the navy shoes, but purely from a fashion perspective, the right shade of blue suede stiletto would look great with that yellow. Black is just eh and would actually bring down the outfit. The right Navy and yellow would’ve been really fun. Again, this is just from a fashion perspective, nothing to do with how it would connect to soccer. I couldn’t care less about that.
I love the idea of blue shoes with her yellow dress. It would have really popped. As for Meghan needing to wear UK and Commonwealth sourced clothing, that is BS. She certainly gave a hand to several small firms with her bags and coats.

Meghan is at a point where she is trying to create a wardrobe suitable for the kind of higher profile engagements that she has attended so far. Those types of ensembles are not likely to be found in quantity in any working woman's wardrobe.

She has lots of casual, dressy casual and variations on the obligatory LBD, but they carried her through the bulk of the visits she did post engagement with Harry. However, we haven't even got to formal wear yet and I'm thinking she will need some for her coming tour which is mercifully short.

I remember the furore when both Sophie and Catherine joined the BRF they came under fire for their wild spending on clothing. But that is a given at the beginning of any royal marriage, only now, with instant internet access, they can flash a photo with a price tag attached before they have even left and engagement. Basically, it is just a lot of smoke and noise.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Wickstead, Packham, and McQueen get enough PR from Kate.

Meghan has certainly worn a share of British/commonwealth labelsA

-Hiut: small local Welsh denim company Meghan wore their jeans
-Burberry: she has worn a number of pieces including her plaid coat
-Strathberry: has at least 2 purses from the Scottish brand
-Alexander McQueen: her tuxedo she wore to Endeavor Awards
-Stella McCartney: coat in Wales
-Demellier London: handbag
-Goat: garden party
-Philip Treacy
-Tamara Mellon shoes
-Victoria Beckham- cashmere sweater in NIreland
-Greta Constantine (Canadian)-green skirt in NIreland
-Amanda Wakely- the white coat to the commonwealth service
-All-Saints: London brand, turtleneck
-Jason Wu (Canadian) her belted dress when she appeared with the Cambridges
-Tabitha Simmons boots
-Jigsaw
-Marks and Spencers
-Smythe (Canadian) coat
-Sentaler coat at Christmas (Canada)
-Joseph (first engagement)
-Mackage (Canadian)
-Ralph and Russo
-Line (Canadian) engagement jacket

I may have missed a few. I am sure as her wardrobe expands as she grows into her new role, the list will grow.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:06 AM
Heir Apparent

I for one am sick of complaints about royal women spending money on their own wardrobe when they marry into the family. How is this NOT COMMON SENSE?! They've made a significant career change and no women has the wardrobe necessary to fulfill such a new role. I remember hearing complaints about Diana and Sarah, now I hear Sophie had the complaints as well. Many people with drastic career changes have to buy new wardrobes. Sorry for my rant that was kind of off topic.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

-Philip Treacy
-Tamara Mellon shoes
-Tabitha Simmons boots
-Jigsaw
-Marks and Spencers
-Smythe (Canadian) coat
-Mackage (Canadian)
-Ralph and Russo

I may have missed a few. I am sure as her wardrobe expands as she grows into her new role, the list will grow.
Charlotte Elizabeth bag, which the designer herself is a beneficiary of The Prince’s Trust. Stella McCartney also designed her second wedding dress. Jimmy Choo has also seen some love. But that's a really good and comprehensive list.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

-Philip Treacy
-Tamara Mellon shoes
-Tabitha Simmons boots
-Jigsaw
-Marks and Spencers
-Smythe (Canadian) coat
-Mackage (Canadian)
-Ralph and Russo

Wow. Thanks for your effort. How many engagements she had so far? It's a quite massive list.

But it's a shame that some people would still complain she doesn't support British/Commonweath brand enough whenever she picks a non British/Commonweath brand......probably Meghan has to blacklist all non British/Commonweath brand to satisfy some people.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I remember the furore when both Sophie and Catherine joined the BRF they came under fire for their wild spending on clothing. But that is a given at the beginning of any royal marriage, only now, with instant internet access, they can flash a photo with a price tag attached before they have even left and engagement. Basically, it is just a lot of smoke and noise.
I don't remember any furor at all with Sophie's clothes, certainly nothing about wild spending?! Besides, we've been asked by the moderators not to compare royal ladies.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Eh. Too each their own. Blue stilettos would have cheapened the look for me. I'd definitely choose a black heel before blue but I'm glad she went with a nude.

Closed Thread