The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 09:28 PM
Heir Apparent

BTW just realized I don't know what the issue is regarding the peek of lace. Could someone summarize? I thought it was that it was an awful thing to see the peek of lace, not so? that was it? Or is there something else afoot? Like she was purposefully 'exposing herself'? Some attention-seeking intention like that. Anyone?

Old 08-07-2018, 10:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm not sure what the big deal is either...it's a lacy camisole that many women routinely wear under certain tops so they are covered....and usually as part of the actual outfit.

LaRae

Old 08-08-2018, 12:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Or you wear a camisole under more sheer fabric to avoid the see through look.
Amazing that a button that has slipped out of its buttonhole is so horrifying.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

I was out of town when this event took place but I saw pics of her and didn't notice anything out of place until I got back and checked this thread...to me it was just part of the whole outfit!

LaRae
Old 08-08-2018, 09:18 AM
Heir Apparent

I remember reading something from a poster in here at some point that it's not necessarily about the mishap, but what you did to protect yourself. Letizia was brought up and it was mentioned that her dress went straight over head, but all anyone saw was an enviable figure and knickers that covered more than your average bikini bottom. In this case, Meghan's button might have popped open, but because she protected herself from any possibility of see through under the sun, we didn't see anything more than top of chemise. Now, if we saw a boob, that's different.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Considering we've seen the bare behind of at least one Royal woman due to skirts, wind and a liking of going commando I think this is pretty tame. I won't even get into the Royal men who have been as exposed over the years...Kilts, stripping, walking naked in hotel rooms with curtains open etc.

LaRae
Old 08-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I can't believe that there's been so much talk about a simple and easy to make chemise/bra slip up (I'm thinking it's more likely a chemise, too)! I kind of want Meghan to make a public appearance again so we can stop making mountains out of molehills

Now I'm going to

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-08-2018, 02:32 PM
Majesty

In her pre royal days Meghan used to strip down to her bra and knickers on Suits quite a bit, plus we’ve actually seen her topless in that video that circulated of her and her friends on a beach.

Exposing her chemise/bra/camisole or whatever it is, is ‘relatively’ tame I suppose.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quite tame. You see more on TV in underwear commercials every single day. Commercials even show women in nothing but a towel. I don't think its a huge state secret that Meghan has (gasp) breasts.

Sometimes in here I feel like I've been transported back to Victorian times and need to up my supply of smelling salts should "unmentionables" be mentioned.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Quite tame. You see more on TV in underwear commercials every single day. Commercials even show women in nothing but a towel. I don't think its a huge state secret that Meghan has (gasp) breasts.

Sometimes in here I feel like I've been transported back to Victorian times and need to up my supply of smelling salts should "unmentionables" be mentioned.
HA! I had that thought earlier...my goodness and we have seen her ankles!

LaRae
Old 08-08-2018, 03:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
In her pre royal days Meghan used to strip down to her bra and knickers on Suits quite a bit, plus we’ve actually seen her topless in that video that circulated of her and her friends on a beach.

Exposing her chemise/bra/camisole or whatever it is, is ‘relatively’ tame I suppose.
We have seen her sister-in-law topless as well, and we've seen more of her via various "wardrobe malfunctions" than we are likely to ever see of the new Duchess of Sussex now or in her days as an actress on Suits.

I agree with everyone who thinks the hullabaloo over seeing a glimpse of Meghan's lacy(and undoubtedly pricey)camisole is verging on silly.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 08-08-2018, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Let us please move on.

This thread is not about the Duchess of Sussex's past and her TV appearances, not about other royals - whether female or male - this is a thread for the current fashion choices of the Duchess of Sussex. The so-called "wardrobe malfunction" has by now discussed at length and therefore sufficiently, it's time to move on.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:51 AM
Majesty

Now on a totally different topic, back on 24th of April Harry and Meghan attended the Memorial Service for Stephen Lawrence who was killed twenty-five years ago.

Meghan was IMO, unfairly rebuked in extremely vociferous terms about the sleeveless dress she had chosen to wear to this memorial. Some even claimed it showed disrespect for the Queen. Many stated that long sleeves were an absolute requirement and claimed that in their countries and the US that was the accepted norm and Meghan had knowingly chosen to dress otherwise as a shallow fashion statement. And that was the nicer comments.

Today, sadly, I watched the formal ceremony held for the late Senator John McCain's lying in state at the Arizona Capitol. I was surprised to see that many women present wore sleeveless dresses, some black some not. It registered because at the close of the ceremony each person paid their final respects, one by one stretching out their hand to touch the flag-draped coffin.

Being a woman I noted what all the invited guests wore and later recalled this kerfuffle. I will also remember that it is on me to research if I wonder about the validity of claims of broken protocol.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:13 AM
Serene Highness

I would also make the point that it is August in Arizona, an extremely hot area of the country.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
I would also make the point that it is August in Arizona, an extremely hot area of the country.
I agree that Arizona in August is very hot. I believe it was over 100 degrees Fahrenheit yesterday. And women in Arizona probably usually wear sleeveless dresses in August. But if it were in fact, inappropriate to attend a funeral doing so, then they would have at least worn cap or short sleeved dresses. The men still wore suits.

When people say that in the United States women never wear sleeveless dresses to a funeral (or memorial in Meghan’s case) and then women in the United States attending a high profile funeral wear sleeveless dresses, it shows the criticism of Meghan’s dress using that statement is invalid.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Women in the deep south have be dealing with that type of heat plus humidity for decades. Now days you see less clothing but you still see what is considered more proper clothing when it comes to Church, funerals etc.

Personally I think if you are in a Church you need to be covered up. At least a short sleeve and no deep necklines or short hems.

LaRae
Old 08-30-2018, 08:44 AM
Serene Highness

As someone who grew in the South and spent a lot of time in AZ, sleeveless is definitely not scandalous in church. I’ve worn sleeveless to high mass, funerals and regular ole services.

And the church I attend when working in London is similar in terms of being fairly relaxed with dress. YMMV
Old 08-30-2018, 08:46 AM
Heir Apparent

I thought her Hugo Boss dress was fine. I always see at least one sleeveless dress at a funeral. And plus, Stephen’s mother was in blue, so it wasn’t nearly as solemn as most funerals.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:59 AM
Nobility

There was one picture posted on twitter from inside the church that showed there were Atleast 5 other women including a member of the choir who was also wearing sleeveless dresses to the service.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

There is a difference between say a basic black sleeveless sheath dress and a sleeveless black cocktail dress. The former is appropriate for church, the latter is not.

Closed Thread