The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 05:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Her Royal Highness looked lovely and appropriate and they looked cute when walking down the steps they held hands again.
The bun was a bit severe. But it is hot over there and having your hair off the neck might help to keep oneself a little cooler. The dress certainly looked like a cool choice as well.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I think she has done a lot for Givenchy and Prada, but not for British business
I think she has done far more and made a much bigger difference for brands like Line The Label, Strathsberry, Hiut Denim, and others than she has done for Givenchy or Prada. And I've said same about her impact on Burberry when she wore their stuff. Those brands not only saw what she wore sell out, but because of their overall bottom line is much smaller and much limited marketing budget, she's actually made far more of difference than what she's able to do when wearing major luxury brands that can afford their own marketing. Especially when she wears bespoken pieces that aren't available as ready to wear. Even when it's available, it's likely to have a much more limited number of people that can just shell out thousands for an outfit.

Now that's not to say royals will never wear the established brands as there are occasions that calls for it.

Hiut Denim had to move to bigger factory to satisfy demand after she wore their jeans, but I highly doubt that to be the case for Burberry, Givenchy, Prada or Stella McCartney.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

A hypothetical question...

...but one I’m interested in...

Are other female members of the BRF responsible for promoting British designers, Princess Anne, Camilla, HM? Or do only the younger women share that duty?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-05-2018, 05:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
...but one I’m interested in...

Are other female members of the BRF responsible for promoting British designers, Princess Anne, Camilla, HM? Or do only the younger women share that duty?
All of them are, which is why you rarely see Camilla in a foreign label.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

This yellow dress is perfect and you need a perfect figure to wear it and she HAS !
Old 07-05-2018, 06:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It's only after the wedding is she a working member of the BRF, so that's the relevant period, IMO
Hmm and how convenient that that supports your view that she doesn't support British designers.

Meghan did a dozen outings before her wedding and wore British reviving some struggling businesses; but that doesn't support your view so you want to discount it. When Meghan does where British I suspect you will still complain because its not enough in your opinion.

As for Meghan herself I love the color on her and think it looks great. Happy to actually see her putting some effort into her hair.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:02 PM
Majesty

Nice frock, nice colour.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-05-2018, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Lovely to see Meghan in such a vibrant colour. Clean, simple line to this style which is perfect for the occasion and the season.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Can’t stand the dress. Also I really wish she’d ditch the come hither looks.

Lady GaGa’s stylist. I’m not surprised.

Have to disagree. I love the color and honestly I am not getting the "come hither" vibe from this shift dress. IMHO it looks like a style that Diana would have selected for her daytime engagements.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

I've had a chance to look at other photos of Meghan in the yellow dress, and this has got to be the best fitting dress I've seen her wear. She is a little short-waisted and some of her clothes, although I may otherwise like them (or not) sometimes seem to suffer from fit issues due to the fact that the waist on the dress is clearly not at her waist. The DoC has the same problem in reverse: she's longer waisted than a lot of her dresses, which also affects fit. So, this yellow dress is perfect. Great color, cool, sleek, and perfectly cut. She looks beautiful, and, more importantly, absolutely appropriate for the event.

All that said, I do tend to agree that she really needs to start wearing and showcasing UK and Commonwealth design houses. What she wore prior to her wedding was all well and good, but she is in a different position now, and it's time to start adding some of the UK and Commonwealth talent into the rotation. I'm sure she will, but the sooner the better.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Hmm and how convenient that that supports your view that she doesn't support British designers.

Meghan did a dozen outings before her wedding and wore British reviving some struggling businesses; but that doesn't support your view so you want to discount it. When Meghan does where British I suspect you will still complain because its not enough in your opinion.

As for Meghan herself I love the color on her and think it looks great. Happy to actually see her putting some effort into her hair.
Even if you go back and count from the time of the engagement announcement, thr proportion of dresses by British designers worn by Meghan will be far lower than any other royal bride in modern times.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Even if you go back and count from the time of the engagement announcement, thr proportion of dresses by British designers worn by Meghan will be far lower than any other royal bride in modern times.
She is the only royal bride in modern times that wasn't born and hasn't lived in Britain most of her life. I don't think we've seen any royal brides wear as much Canadian designer during engagement either. It's a matter of they will incorporate some new stuff, but will also stay close to those that they are familiar with. I'd expect that she had a lot of Canadian and US designer in her closet, and over time she'll build a portfolio of British designers she likes just the same way she's done before in US and Canada.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent

(..)

I am glad she wore a pop of color. Looking forward the engagements next week and what she is rocking in Dublin.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:26 PM
Serene Highness

(..) Me, I think the duchess wore an American designer because it is America's national day so this was her sunny salute to the US of A
Old 07-05-2018, 06:33 PM
Serene Highness

Honestly, it did cross my mind that wearing a US designer was her little nod to July 4th/her heritage.

I am not someone who subscribes to the belief that a foreign royal bride needs to give up all aspects of her heritage so if that was a subtle nod, good for Meghan! And what a look! Seeing it in video it’s even better. She is resplendent
Old 07-05-2018, 06:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
She is the only royal bride in modern times that wasn't born and hasn't lived in Britain most of her life. I don't think we've seen any royal brides wear as much Canadian designer during engagement either. It's a matter of they will incorporate some new stuff, but will also stay close to those that they are familiar with. I'd expect that she had a lot of Canadian and US designer in her closet, and over time she'll build a portfolio of British designers she likes just the same way she's done before.
Perhaps she needs a British stylist if she does not understand how to or what to but here.

But one would have thought it would not take a rocket scientist to work out that if you go to the Trooping, you don't wear an American label. Or if you go to a commonwealth event, you don't wear an American label, or if you go on your first engagement with HM...... you get the drift.

So the bigger question out there is that is it that she does not get it, or is it that she is being obtuse?
Old 07-05-2018, 06:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Christ, this thread is just ridiculous at times. Yes, she has worn a lot of Givenchy and I understand when people reason that she should invest in a go-to British bred designer HOUSE, but to say that she hasn't done sh.t for British fashion is ridiculous and flat out wrong. Or that whatever she's worn before officially marrying Harry never mattered.. Please give me the brand of that Kool-Aid because it sounds like a trip I need to be on.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:38 PM
Serene Highness

Or maybe she is wearing what she likes?? I mean it may be as simple as that? Sophie Wessex alsonwears lots of foreign brands as does Kate. Someone did a break down one time and Sophie in 2017 wore 60% foreign brands (many not CW) and Kate was about 50/50.

Meghan is wearing what she wants. I hope to see her bringing more local stuff back into her wardrobe and I expect she will! I have no concern that she won’t do her part to fly Fashion UK
Old 07-05-2018, 06:46 PM
Majesty

What a wonderful pop of colour and the sheath dress is working very well for her. Once again she has gone with a bateau neckline and fortunately, her legs are long enough to pull off the longer hemline.

I really admire Meghan's softer updos but this is a formal event her more formal updo suited the occasion. But I keep reminding myself that while I don't always like her hairstyles, she is cognizant of the need to style her hair to suit her ensemble and it may well be that the "softer" look needs more time and a hairdresser.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:47 PM
Aristocracy

Not a homework assignment I'm interested in taking on but I'm all for fact-based arguments. Here's a guide to all the outfits Meghan has worn from engagement to the wedding. Feel free to do your own count.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/style/c...rvice-11621452

Meghan incorporated a lot of British and Commonwealth designers into her engagement wardrobe especially for someone who hadn't lived in the U.K. and was working within her existing wardrobe or purchasing new clothes on her own dime. Post-engagement it really depends on whether you consider CWK/Givenchy a British designer. Both arguments for and against have already been stated so no need to re-hash. But that appears to be the crux of this debate. If yes, 50% of looks post-wedding have been British/Commonwealth. If not, it's 17%. Everyone has their own minimum threshold. Less than 2 months in, 50% seems a reasonable place to start.

Closed Thread