The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 2: July 2018 - August 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
I do know that Madewell is part of J. Crew as that is what an employee told me in the store some time ago when I was shopping there. J. Crew is an American company and like all retail companies today I bet most everything is made elsewhere, like in the Orient. Finding anything made in the US is difficult anymore, only Draper and James seems to be the only company that makes clothes in the US right now from what I could find. I like D/J for they seem well made, as I have blouse from them.....

What ever Meghan looked really chic today and I love that style on her, perfect in all ways....

I am all for women wearing ridiculous heels if it is what they prefer. I've seen women wear them at work and they love ok fantastic. Meghan seems to favor the skinny heels and strapped shoes.

So, while we were doing this here, at some point this $1,500 dress sold out.

:previous:
?? And Meghan has no influence on the clothing market does she? ?? Be it any company in the entire world, she has NO influence right....:lol::lol::lol: just being silly now...:whistling:

It's a nice, simple dress in a classic style - no more, no less. The color is pretty, I love the neckline, but do not like sleeveless for professional duties (personal preference, I realize mileage varies). I like the earrings & appreciate that her hair is neat, but the look is nothing, IMO, to go gaga about (sorry - couldn't resist) ?

(..)

The high heels are very silly, she looks like she's on stilts or maybe stork legs and the stilettos just accentuate it. So empowering murdering your feet for the sake of your looks, isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Meghan in yellow dress by Brandon Maxwell at Your Commonwealth event.
Love the look. Very simple yet bold.

A timeless presentation. :flowers: Hair makes her look all business. I like that. I also agree that it must feel cool on a hot day. Having it sleekly pulled back means she accounted for stray hairs. Can't have it all ways: either it's done so the hair is controlled which will entail some 'tightness' or have it be 'messy' and so flying here and there.

Have to disagree. I love the color and honestly I am not getting the "come hither" vibe from this shift dress. IMHO it looks like a style that Diana would have selected for her daytime engagements. ?

Disagree a bit here. ;) If memory serves me, Diana went for shorter dresses in spades. Meghan is a stand-out because she favors longer dresses, something new on the royal circuit (among young royals). With Meghan there is no danger of any untoward events with hems flying up, or peek-a-boo situations when sitting down.

P.S. Beautifully toned arms. Takes work to get that subtle muscle tone.

I've had a chance to look at other photos of Meghan in the yellow dress, and this has got to be the best fitting dress I've seen her wear. She is a little short-waisted and some of her clothes, although I may otherwise like them (or not) sometimes seem to suffer from fit issues due to the fact that the waist on the dress is clearly not at her waist. The DoC has the same problem in reverse: she's longer waisted than a lot of her dresses, which also affects fit. So, this yellow dress is perfect. Great color, cool, sleek, and perfectly cut. She looks beautiful, and, more importantly, absolutely appropriate for the event.

Well said! :flowers: "This dress is perfect. Great color, cool, sleek, and perfectly cut. She looks beautiful, and appropriate for the event."

I find myself thinking of Queen Letizia, who has a very 'professional' style imo. Not that the two women are exactly similar (they aren't) but I see Meghan's style akin to Letizia's occasionally. Meghan could easily wear some of Letizia's outfits, and Letizia Meghan's, like this one. ❤️

Last edited:
(..)

The stilettos are ridiculous and a terrible example of destroying your health to look better, taller, thinner, whatever...I'm reminded of foot binding whenever I see someone teetering around on 4" heels.

Lovely shade of yellow. Never got a clothes in such colour, but I think I may begin to admire that.

This thread always turns ridiculous at some point after Meghan showed us a new outfit...

Last edited:
I love heels and actually feel more comfortable walking in them than flats. To each their own!

Meghan’s shoe collection is fabulous. She really has an eye for accessories like shoes and bags. Even her jewelry is nice but too small for my personal taste. I like more statement pieces.

I think the nude heels work well her but heels in bright blue would have been smashing!

The thread has had a major clean-up (again). It should be possible to discuss the Duchess of Sussex's fashion choices in a civilized manner, without accusations and the same old fans and haters discussion. Whenever the Duchess of Sussex appears with a new outfit the thread derails, that is a real pity.

Please focus on the fashion choices only and be respectful towards each other and the people you discuss.

Or maybe she is wearing what she likes?? I mean it may be as simple as that? Sophie Wessex alsonwears lots of foreign brands as does Kate. Someone did a break down one time and Sophie in 2017 wore 60% foreign brands (many not CW) and Kate was about 50/50.

My instinct would be to question the percentage numbers for Sophie and Catherine that you are suggesting. I just don't accept them. Is there a source for the information that you can provide?

Or maybe she is wearing what she likes?? I mean it may be as simple as that?

Meghan is wearing what she wants.

For all the reasons I and some others have suggested, it really is not as simple as that.

Honestly, it did cross my mind that wearing a US designer was her little nod to July 4th/her heritage.

I am not someone who subscribes to the belief that a foreign royal bride needs to give up all aspects of her heritage so if that was a subtle nod, good for Meghan! And what a look! Seeing it in video it’s even better. She is resplendent

If the designer of the dress was indeed a nod to her US heritage, IMO, a Commonwealth event is not really the place to make that nod.

My instinct would be to question the percentage numbers for Sophie and Catherine that you are suggesting. I just don't accept them. Is there a source for the information that you can provide?

For all the reasons I and some others have suggested, it really is not as simple as that.

I am not going to continue to go in circles on Meghan and her brand choices. Dead horse and all that.

The 60% number came from a Royal Fashion blog I follow that breaks down all her outfits and pieces, same as other royal ladies. I will go through and see if I can find the 2017 YE breakdown and post the link if I remember tomorrow.

Come on people, do you or anyone *honestly* know what Meghan was thinking in wearing this dress be it a *nod* to the US or whatever else? Give me a break here.
I love the dress, it was perfect on her, could care less who made it or what country it was made in, just the fact it was not black, beige, tan or white or creme is outstanding, the style is so chic and elegant on her. I would love to see this in other colors or with small cap sleeves at some point. And maybe a brooch would be gorgeous also.

Come on people, do you or anyone *honestly* know what Meghan was thinking in wearing this dress be it a *nod* to the US or whatever else? Give me a break here.
I love the dress, it was perfect on her, could care less who made it or what country it was made in, just the fact it was not black, beige, tan or white or creme is outstanding, the style is so chic and elegant on her. I would love to see this in other colors or with small cap sleeves at some point. And maybe a brooch would be gorgeous also.

I wasn’t saying I know what was in her head, I just said that it crossed my mind...

Not a homework assignment I'm interested in taking on but I'm all for fact-based arguments. Here's a guide to all the outfits Meghan has worn from engagement to the wedding. Feel free to do your own count.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/style/...n-markle-outfit-commonwealth-service-11621452

Meghan incorporated a lot of British and Commonwealth designers into her engagement wardrobe especially for someone who hadn't lived in the U.K. and was working within her existing wardrobe or purchasing new clothes on her own dime. Post-engagement it really depends on whether you consider CWK/Givenchy a British designer. Both arguments for and against have already been stated so no need to re-hash. But that appears to be the crux of this debate. If yes, 50% of looks post-wedding have been British/Commonwealth. If not, it's 17%. Everyone has their own minimum threshold. Less than 2 months in, 50% seems a reasonable place to start.

Thank you so much for sharing this. Nothing like some statistics to back-up a point. 17% of her clothing by British fashion houses is, IMO, abysmally low. Argue as you will!

The 60% number came from a Royal Fashion blog I follow that breaks down all her outfits and pieces, same as other royal ladies. I will go through and see if I can find the 2017 YE breakdown and post the link if I remember tomorrow.

Look forward to it.

LoL this made me think they pay her not to mention she is wearing them... I'm sorry I'm sure that's not what you meant but its the first thing that popped into my head.

;) You’re reading my mind.

I am really enjoying the style of the ladies of the House of Windsor. We have in-house bespoke, and some of the best the foreign and UK Fashion Houses have to offer.

From HM, Camilla, Anne, Sophie, Meghan and what little we have seen of Catherine, it seems Summer is here and every one of them is managing to surprise us.

Each one has a different preferred style but Summer has brought COLOUR to our jaded winter palate and I'm loving the newest member's contribution.

My only regret is Megan wasn't carrying one of her little handbags. (If the Queen can carry a handbag and still manage to shake hands when she wants then so too can Meghan with her natty wee handbags).

She looked like something was missing and, being blinded by the glorious yellow it took me a while to nail it down.

I would of liked to have seen a little more jewelry on her (bracelet, necklace bigger earring) but I think that's going to be awhile it seems.

I noticed she didn't have a purse and frankly I don't blame her. A mostly outdoor event a purse just gets in the way.

LaRae

(..)

The stilettos are ridiculous and a terrible example of destroying your health to look better, taller, thinner, whatever...I'm reminded of foot binding whenever I see someone teetering around on 4" heels.

So long as you can walk confidently in them I don't have a problem. I wear heels at work and have a couple of pairs that are only for going out where I'm principally sitting down!

Thank you so much for sharing this. Nothing like some statistics to back-up a point. 17% of her clothing by British fashion houses is, IMO, abysmally low. Argue as you will!

After a great two months (has it even been that?). The events she has attended called for the big brands. I’m sure smaller brands will come into play as she attends less formal events. Again, I see nothing wrong with her supporting a woman that’s flying the British flag high in one of the most prestigious historic houses. In fact, with Brexit, isn’t what happens to the people like CWK that one of the issues?

Last edited:
The events she has attended called for the big brands. I’m sure smaller brands will come into play as she attends less formal events.

I agree, the events all called for very smart clothes. "Big brands", but big British brands for the Trooping, the Commonwealth event, for the first engagement with HM!

Again, I see nothing wrong with her supporting a woman that’s flying the British flag high in one of the most prestigious historic houses.

I presume the "prestigious historic houses" you refer to is the House of Givenchy. A french brand, not British! As a member of the "prestigious historic house" of Windsor, Meghan needs to support British business, not overseas ones.

This really seems to be becoming an incantation, so I shall now desist. It is very clear that a clear, well thought through argument is not cutting the mustard here.

Last edited:
Perhaps you are missing the point that Givenchy is a French brand. McQueen, Burberry, Jenny Packham etc are all British brands.

I'm not missing any point. I'm saying there will be some British brands over time, but not always. It's been less than two months, and people are already drawing conclusions. I don't think McQueen and Jenny Packham will be her go to brand as they are the DoC's. We'll see some from time to time, but not a great deal of them. Burberry is still trying to get their act together after hiring of Tisci. Although I don't see Packham or Tisci as much of a good match for the Duchess' aesthetics, but then again, I never thought McQueen's usual style is suitable for Kate and they've made not so McQueen dresses for her. Given the situation, I'm not sure what other major luxury UK brands are there that's at the caliber required at times (DON'T get me started on Erdem). And that's purely speaking from a fashion standpoint.

Last edited:
Reading through this thread could really give one a headache. Oy vey! :lol:

Anyway, I really loved the dress Meghan wore yesterday. The color, cut and fit were all great. Wasn't crazy about the hair though, mainly because I'm not a fan of a sleek updo with a middle part. I'd have liked it better with a side part or straight back.

Her TTC look is still my favorite thus far. I'm really looking forward to seeing what she wears to all the events next week.

Just a question .... does anyone think that Victoria Beckham might be a match? It seems to me that her style is pretty close to Meghan's style.

:previous: I could see Stella McCartney before Beckham. I don't think Meghan has worn anything from the latter, besides the sweater for her engagement photos.

I will withhold my final comments until I see more pictures, but so far, I like the dress. Simple and elegant and in a color that is lovely on her.
So after looking at other pictures from the event, I still think she looks very nice and I like the dress. I could be really picky and say that I would love to see the dress a couple of inches shorter (still below the knee) or add the belt like in the photo from the designer. Other than that, she looks really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom