The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 02:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post
(..) And Ima call her out every single time she shows up looking like a sloppy mess.

I have known some women in my life who were always absolutely immaculate. Still they like me, though I'm such a messy dresser I need full concentration when my clothes should even look hálf as good as theirs. Am still called out occasionally. So I am definately not one to believe people have misgiving swhen others call them out about little faux pas. Still, from the receiving end, it is still not a nice situation. So I am glad Meghan does not read these forums. At least I hope so.

Maybe we should imagine Meghan in a situation of transition from private citizen to Royal Duchess. At the moment she is on step One: Adaptation to her surroundings.

The next step will be evolution and finally she'll become The Duchess of Sussex. Can't wait to see that.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Schadenfreude frequently comes into play when well- known people have wardrobe problems.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-05-2018, 05:32 AM
Courtier

Royals wardrobe malfunction sometimes happens, doesn't it? We have seen it a couple of times from the other royal and I don't see people keep fussing about them at least in here.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:31 AM
Courtier

I'm not the only one here who thought her appearance yesterday was a failure, the bra showing (and yes it's a bra) was just a small part of it. If it was the only thing wrong with her appearance I would have been more inclined to give her a pass, but the whole look was off, way off. As usual imo. Like I said previously, she needs to step up her game.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:37 AM
Gentry

I just love how over dramatic some people are getting over the wardrobe malfunction. Last time I checked royals are human. Crap happens! She fixed it. Life went on. It didn’t ruin the brides day! I wasn’t in love with the dress, but I couldn’t get over how happy Meghan. Especially with what she’s been through lately!
Old 08-05-2018, 08:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Flashing her bra at a society wedding, absolutely it goes in the 'con' column, why shouldn't it? She's royal now, right? It doesn't 'happen every day' to royals. People right here have been so much more unforgiving for the wardrobe malfunctions of other royals, but we're not supposed to call out Meghan? Please.
She may be royal now but she's first and foremost human. I think all of us could sit here and relate our own "ooops" and "wardrobe malfunctions" especially those that are around my age and have had longer on the planet to have them happen.

Its not a breach of protocol. Its not the scandal of the month. Its not the dark ages or Victorian times. Its making a mountain out of a molehill of being able to see an article of clothing some still call "unmentionables".

Its not even something to call Meghan out about.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:18 AM
Aristocracy

Things to set your clock by...the predictable nature of commentary in this thread and that Meghan's dress predictably sold out. I guess someone liked it.

My 1st instinct was that the dress was too dark for the occasion because the navy photographed as black and most of the pre-ceremony pics were from the waist up. Seeing the full dress in pics where H&M are leaving changed my mind. I'm usually not a fan of thin pleats but I really like the way the skirt moves. The color blocking adds interest and really did make the whole look for me. Plus, I actually think Meghan was trying to coordinate with Harry's darker usher uniform. Totally occasion appropriate and she and Harry look fabulous in the shots of them together. Honestly my favorite part of the outfit were the sunglasses. I covet them.

To Chloep's point re: context for all the messy hair comments, if you listen closely you can hear the dog whistle in the silence.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Gentry

She wears such dark colors for summer. I miss that elegant yellow sheath she wore to the Commonwealth youth reception. Her heels for this wedding are darling though.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Suitor View Post
To Chloep's point re: context for all the messy hair comments, if you listen closely you can hear the dog whistle in the silence.
So I see we’re back to the ‘dog whistle’. We can’t talk about Meghan’s hair because she’s special.

Meghan’s the only royal who has a built in get out of jail free card.

The only thing I can say is, Meghan is in for a long hard road as a royal in Britain, if this is the defence that’s put up anytime she’s criticised.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Flashing her bra at a society wedding, absolutely it goes in the 'con' column, why shouldn't it? She's royal now, right? It doesn't 'happen every day' to royals. People right here have been so much more unforgiving for the wardrobe malfunctions of other royals, but we're not supposed to call out Meghan? Please.
She wasn't the only royal to whom that happened at that wedding; just check pictures of princess Eugenie. I haven't seen people making a fuss about it yet... So, it seems Meghan is under more scrutiny.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

(..)
Anyways, back to her look for the wedding. Here are my observations:

> I think the dress was fine, neither here nor there.

> My issue was really with the colour of the dress for a summer English wedding, especially one on such a bright and hot day.

> Similarly, I just did not think the hat was really suitable for a summer wedding.

> I don't think her "wardrobe malfunction" is an issue or worth commenting on.

> Perhaps from her wardrobe, more suitable might have been the ensemble worn to the BP garden party or to the Trooping of the Colour.

> At the end of the day, I will cut her slack when it comes to dressing for an English wedding as I am not sure she has been to very many. There is a certain vibe, and I am sure she will pick it up in the years to come.

> Whilst this was not an official engagement so less relevant, but I continue to be amazed at her continued patronage of the international fashion houses at the expense of British businesses. This lack of sensitivity is what I am surprised about.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
So I see we’re back to the ‘dog whistle’. We can’t talk about Meghan’s hair because she’s special.

The only thing I can say is, Meghan is in for a long hard road as a royal in Britain, if this is the defence that’s put up anytime she’s criticised.
Well it seems that some here think everyone thinks alike..........LOL. Well Rudolph, I can tell you straight up, I am my own person period. See the thing is I do not like *everything every royal lady wears*, nor everything that Meghan wears either and that not all royal ladies are perfect what so ever in my eyes as NO ONE is.......

Nobody here has a get out of jail free card for in reading the forums here we all have very different opinions on everything.......I did not like the dress and stated so.........the color was my only question about the dress, this was summer, a wedding and hot and humid out and not a royal event but a *private* event for all involved in the wedding even the guests. Maybe the dress would of looked nicer in a more softer color then black for that is how my computer showed it.....Now how are those apples in your cart today......
Old 08-05-2018, 01:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post

Meghan is the only royal who some seem to want to nitpick to death. Every little detail of what she wears, how she styles her hair, how she walks, sits, smiles is analyzed like no other and that would include Kate. There are some uncomfortable truths as to why this is the case, whether some want to believe so or not.

On a lighter note, I just saw that the dress she wore yesterday sold out within hours. Safe to say "The Meghan Effect" is real.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As long as we can keep our comments directed to Meghan's apparel, her hairstyle, her makeup, her shoes and her hosiery and perhaps even her purses, we're commentating on inanimate objects that she is wearing. It doesn't reflect on what our personal opinions of Meghan, as a person are. There are other threads to lambast her actions or her lack of them should we choose to. Its like we're criticizing a mannequin in a department store window with the view of how it appears on Meghan's body. Nothing more and nothing less.

I didn't like the dress she wore to the wedding at all. I would never have chosen it for myself or for anyone else attending a summer wedding. That's my opinion of the *dress*. I personally do not now and never will care for any kind of a hat so I don't even bother looking at them as a rule. I either like or dislike the overall picture of the *outfit*. Whether or not I think Meghan is the greatest thing since sliced bread doesn't come into it. Come to think of it, I'm not all that enthused about sliced bread either. I can take it or leave it.

We see what we see and we like and dislike what we see. Its what the fashion thread is here for in the first place.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post

> Whilst this was not an official engagement so less relevant, but I continue to be amazed at her continued patronage of the international fashion houses at the expense of British businesses. This lack of sensitivity is what I am surprised about.
Actually almost her entire outfit was British(hat, jewellery) and Canadian (dress)... What wasn't wear all trusted re-wears.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
There are some uncomfortable truths as to why this is the case, whether some want to believe so or not
And what are these ‘truths’? Please don’t leave us hanging.

9/10 Meghan’s hair is an over processed mess imo. She can always wear it natural.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Not feeling Meghan's dress for the wedding. While the fit was nice, I didn't like the pattern, or the colors on the skirt. Also agree with others that an all black outfit just seemed a bit too much for a summer wedding. Hat was a miss for me too. But I love her shoes and the way she styled her hair (didn't find it messy at all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
Meghan is the only royal who some seem to want to nitpick to death. Every little detail of what she wears, how she styles her hair, how she walks, sits, smiles is analyzed no other...
Yeah, this is definitely not true. I'm not gonna derail the thread by mentioning others, but quite a few of the royal women have had it just as rough in the beginning. Once Meghan settles in, I imagine the scrutiny will be a lot less (this is what happened to other royal women.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Suitor View Post
I'm a black woman (similar hair texture to Meghan's) and I think her hair looks messy sometimes. Particularly when she has her hair in a looser bun. I'm not adverse to messy buns, but I'm just not a fan of the way Meghan does them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
Royals wardrobe malfunction sometimes happens, doesn't it? We have seen it a couple of times from the other royal and I don't see people keep fussing about them at least in here.
Not true. There is a certain royal who has had a few wardrobe malfunctions and when it happened, the discussion went on for days. Years later they're still constantly brought up and thrown out as a dig. In fact, it's been subtly mentioned in this discussion about Meghan's wardrobe malfunction.

I don't see the scandal with Meghan's bra (or camisole) showing. Like all the other royal women that this has happened to, Meghan didn't plan to have a wardrobe malfunction. It happens to everyone...even royals and it's a sad that any of these royal women are shamed for it and have to deal with snide comments even years after their wardrobe mishaps.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post

I'm a black woman (similar hair texture to Meghan's) and I think her hair looks messy sometimes. Particularly when she has her hair in a looser bun. I'm not adverse to messy buns, but I'm just not a fan of the way Meghan does them.

However, she did not have a messy bun yesterday - yet, comments were the same. So either people just don't even look at the pics anymore and just see at what the lovely people over at the Fail are saying or it's automatic response at this point.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Or maybe they actually thought her hair looked messy. *shrug*
Old 08-05-2018, 01:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Not true. There is a certain royal who has had a few wardrobe malfunctions and when it happened, the discussion went on for days. Years later they're still constantly brought up and thrown out as a dig. In fact, it's been subtly mentioned in this discussion about Meghan's wardrobe malfunction.
There you go. I agree. People don’t like comparing Meghan to other royals unless they think it will score points.

And also this notion that Meghan is being singled out. Some royal watchers seem to have selective memories.

‘It was always thus, and ever thus shall be.’

Closed Thread