The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 12:04 PM
Gentry

I typically really like everything that Meghan wears, but this whole outfit is a miss for me. I’m not against black, being worn to weddings, but it’s summer. Lighter colors would have been great.

Her hair looks good to me. So again, I fail to see what people are complaining about in the hair department!

Old 08-04-2018, 12:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post
I've always been taught that 1) you shouldn't wear cream/white to a wedding as those are the bride's colors; 2) no one other than the bride should look 'sexy' (if she wishes), it's not about the attendees, it's about the bride.

I'm sure since you're the grandmother it's all good, but you're not in the public eye either.
Were we raised by the same woman? Sure sounds familiar. One never wore white after Labor Day either. Hats and gloves were always a must to be a "lady attending church" and a "lady" never, ever smokes a cigarette in public. I'm the rebel in the family and don't follow any of those archaic rules.

To me there is a vast difference between accentuating a woman's femininity and blatant flaunting of sexuality. The more "left to the imagination" is far more attractive than baring all as much as possible. To me, I think its gauche for a bride to display herself as sexy in her wedding gown. That, to me, is best reserved for the wedding night. Call me old fashioned in that respect.

To be honest, even being in the public eye, I hope Meghan stays comfortable in her own skin enough to let her real self shine through and not dress totally giving into conventions and "proper". To be true to herself would be a great achievement in my book

Old 08-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Were we raised by the same woman? Sure sounds familiar. One never wore white after Labor Day either. Hats and gloves were always a must to be a "lady attending church" and a "lady" never, ever smokes a cigarette in public. I'm the rebel in the family and don't follow any of those archaic rules.

To me there is a vast difference between accentuating a woman's femininity and blatant flaunting of sexuality. The more "left to the imagination" is far more attractive than baring all as much as possible. To me, I think its gauche for a bride to display herself as sexy in her wedding gown. That, to me, is best reserved for the wedding night. Call me old fashioned in that respect.

To be honest, even being in the public eye, I hope Meghan stays comfortable in her own skin enough to let her real self shine through and not dress totally giving into conventions and "proper". To be true to herself would be a great achievement in my book
This is a wedding, she doesn't need to be staying true to herself here, she can do that on her own time. This is about the bride (and groom) and since Meghan is an invited guest and not the star of this particular show she should be doing her best to dress 'properly'. It's not a choice, it's a social obligation imo.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:27 PM
Majesty

Just from pictures I have seen, I think it more usual to see wedding guests dresses in cream/white in Europe, compared to the US.

And as she has worn navy quite a bit this summer, I've been meaning to comment that navy has always been a go-to-summer-dressy-color in the summer in the US. I can remember it being summer dressy fashionable here since my youth seeing it in the R Lauren, Calvin Klein lines. And it subs for black in summer in my read on the US. As she is from the US, it does not shock or displease me that she is wearing it.

And I think it looks great on the DOS.

I am not at all a fan of the accordion pleat, but no designer listens to me so I just want to say I can live with this version. I enjoy the odd color blocking.

And I do not find her hair to be a mess. In the least. Please look at the hair of. women around her, which seems to be no more or less messy than the DOS. I like the color of it, I like the style. Nothing like a sexy wave to frame the face. Her makeup is always perfect for daytime.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
This is a wedding, she doesn't need to be staying true to herself here, she can do that on her own time. This is about the bride (and groom) and since Meghan is an invited guest and not the star of this particular show she should be doing her best to dress 'properly'. It's not a choice, it's a social obligation imo.
I guess I don't see how she is not dressing properly. I dislike the style but it is not improper. She looks just fine. She not in white. She not showy. She not distracting. Seems she was being deliberate to not grab attention, IMO.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:59 PM
Royal Highness

Well I will be the first to say, this is one dress I do not like and no one has to like everything a royal wears all the time.......yes, to dark IMHO for a summer wedding.......and color block is not my cup of tea ever....the hat, the shoes, the hair, the make-up and the sparkle in her eyes are fabulous....she is radiant and happy and in love and it shows. Just do not like the dress....
Old 08-04-2018, 01:02 PM
Serene Highness

I would bet the bride snd groom hand no problem with how Meghan was dressed.

This wasn't my favourite dress, but in no way or for was it unsuitable in any way or form. And I don't see the issue with her hair either, it looked really lovely to me.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Unless there's a specific dress code listed on the wedding invite, I don't think the bride and groom really pay attention too much what their guests show up to the wedding in. The point is that the guests are there to celebrate their day with them and not being there as background mannequins.

Meghan's attire was perfectly suitable for a wedding. I find no fault with it. I wouldn't have chosen that dress for me at all but that's just my own personal tastes showing.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:18 PM
Nobility

Some of you made a comment about bra. Um, have you heard of wardrobe malfunction?
Old 08-04-2018, 01:19 PM
Majesty

The Queen wore this style of dress (as did Princess Margaret) through much of the 50s and 60s??????? So I am not understanding how it has become un-royal.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:21 PM
Serene Highness

Well Chloep, we have a diffence of opinion. My first thought was disheveled when I saw the first picture. Looked thrown together for me that’s all
Old 08-04-2018, 01:26 PM
Commoner

I am not a fan of that attire - that hat does not even go with what she is wearing
Old 08-04-2018, 01:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think she was having a wardrobe malfunction. I think she put on a camisole underneath knowing the dress is cut low in various places. And no, it's not inappropriate.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Also, those camisoles with the built in shelf bra are soooo much more comfortable to wear. I love them.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:32 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2...3399099784.jpg

Its a miss and a mess for me, the dress is ok but not for this wedding, the hat does not work for me with the dress/hairdo and the belt is really ugly.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I've always been taught that 1) you shouldn't wear cream/white to a wedding as those are the bride's colors; 2) no one other than the bride should look 'sexy' (if she wishes), it's not about the attendees, it's about the bride.

I'm sure since you're the grandmother it's all good, but you're not in the public eye either.
I also was taught the same Missy as a child, yet in growing up and becoming my own person I started to make clothing choices to suit me not everyone else and yes, made plenty of mistakes in doing so......I like the small effect fo the chemise as I call it and I think the dress also is to dark for a wedding. This is not about what society wants but my own personal choice.....now if the dress was a solid color beside black it would be very pretty even in navy or emerald green.......jewel colors look good on Meghan.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:43 PM
Serene Highness

This is a solid look for me. Not wowing me but an ok look. I love the skirt of the dress, but I am not a fan of the chunky belt. A thinner belt would have complimented the lines of the look better and looked more polished.

Love the hat, hair and make up. The make up is heavier than she normally goes with but it works. Also, so happy to see her wear those adorable shoes again!

By far, her best accessory is her stunning smile! She looks happy and relaxed. Made of tough stuff, our Meghan.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:43 PM
Gentry

Do we know who designed this outfit?
Old 08-04-2018, 01:44 PM
Royal Highness

Chloep:

Hair, it is *Beautiful* and not messy at all. I don't think many here would remember an actress named Veronica Lake.....back in the 40's I think, she wore her hair the same in many of her films, very sexy and sultry with that long blonde hair and at times it covered her one eye.....this looks so perfect on Meghan and not messy......soft sexy and sultry at the same time.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
Do we know who designed this outfit?

Its Club Monaco for the dress and belt. Aquazzura for the shoes and KAYU for the clutch.

Closed Thread