The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 10:51 AM
Royal Highness

Love the hat, on the fence with the skirt, and the shoes are cute!

Old 08-04-2018, 10:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

The Duchess of Sussex at the wedding of Charlie van Straubenzee and Daisy Jenks in Frensham, Surrey, today, August 4:

** Full view ** Full view 2 ** Side view ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 ** Upper part 3 ** Upper part 4 **
I know this is going to shock everyone, but I can't stand this look
The hat is terrible, the colors are too somber for a summer wedding, it looks like the blouse is unbuttoned so you can see her lace bra underneath (upper part 2 photo) and her hair is a mess as usual. Another total fail fashion wise imo.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

I like the hair and hat, the dress is fine, from what I can see of it in the various photos. I'm not sure I'm a fan of this kind of color blocking: the skirt seems a little random. It does seem a little dark overall for a summer wedding, but, whatever. I think I would like the dress more without the color blocking on the skirt, because I think the pleats and the style of the bodice are very pretty, and quite flattering on Meghan.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:58 AM
Heir Apparent

I don’t think that’s her bra. It looks like a camisole slip underneath, which is actually more conservative than if she didn’t it since the dress is designed to have somewhat of low cut and wide arm openings.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:04 AM
Serene Highness

Don’t care for it, looks disheveled to me-jmo
Old 08-04-2018, 11:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Not a fan of the dress but I like the hair and heels. Love her makeup. And yes that is a camisole.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Maybe its the practical Canadian in me who doesn't think there are summer wardrobes and winter and autumn. As long as it is warm enough or cool enough for the weather. And that goes for color as well.

Black is for winter.....black is for funerals..... Fashion industry missed the note

Its a cute dress. The color blocking lightens it up a bit. The lace showing is the style, adds a bit of detail. Certainly not her bra.

But I hate the hat.

As for the hair, maybe she is taking people's advice on here, and taking tips from her sister in law. Certainly looks like her style.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:13 AM
Nobility

Those who complaining about Meghan's hair. Get over it.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:13 AM
Royal Highness

Did she plan to attend funerals?
Old 08-04-2018, 11:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Maybe its the practical Canadian in me who doesn't think there are summer wardrobes and winter and autumn. As long as it is warm enough or cool enough for the weather. And that goes for color as well.

Black is for winter.....black is for funerals..... Fashion industry missed the note

Its a cute dress. The color blocking lightens it up a bit. The lace showing is the style, adds a bit of detail. Certainly not her bra.
Honestly, I don’t think the archaic rules about color and season apply much anymore. There was a rule about no pastel or white between Labor Day and Memorial Day as those were considered summer colors. However, we are seeing a lot of light colors in winter wardrobe now. I personally will take a pastel or white coat over navy or black any day.

The only color rule I follow without exception, unless requested by family members, is wearing all black to funerals. That’s out of respect for a difficult and tomotional time for the loved ones.

And yes, the light material also lightens the dress up a bit. She’s more covered than a lot of the other guests. The flow of the dress gives it a more relaxed looked. She’s be way over dress if it weren’t for that and the color blocking.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:17 AM
Courtier

Lovely outfit! Dark colour in wedding is totally fine to me, as long as it isn't a completely black outfit I think it's okay. Love the belt and dress, especially these colour panels on the skirt and these lace details. And these lovely shoes again.

The only thing I would complain is the colour of the cocktail hat (it's more like a cocktail than a beret to me). It looks very heavy with its material, some colour from her skirt may be better, these decorations need a lighter colour I guess.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
People wear a dress with pink, blue, and green color blocks to funerals now? Wow, color rules have REALLY changed.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
LOL, seriously. Well, if she ever finds herself in need of a funeral outfit while out of the country she doesn't need to pack an outfit for that express purpose like every other member of the BRF does, she can just wear whatever she packed for normal wear, she's all set.

The unbuttoned blouse with the camisole under looks just as sloppy as if it was her bra. The whole thing is terrible, I can't believe this is what she thinks is appropriate for a summer wedding. She hasn't got a clue, I really am beginning to think she's a lost cause.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Not a fan of the dress but I like the hair and heels. Love her makeup. And yes that is a camisole.
That's what I think too.
The dress looks ill-fitting and sloppy, but the hat is pretty.

I also don't like the bra or camisole showing, I don't think it's appropriate at someone's wedding.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Courtier

I'm "meh" on this.

Love: Makeup, hair, shoes and purse.

Dislike: I hate that dress/skirt blouse combo. And that fascinator is a no to me IMO. Regarding the dress, I like the concept, however dislike colour blocking in all its entity. I like the pleats on the skirt, and if she had gone with a Navy top and then the skirt had gone from dark navy to light baby blue on the bottom, I would have liked it better.

Rating: 6/10
Old 08-04-2018, 11:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
Those who complaining about Meghan's hair. Get over it.
How about no. We can comment on her hair just as much as we like, thank you very much. It's an over-processed mess as usual. Critics get on lots of other royals for messy hair, Meghan doesn't get an automatic pass regarding her hairstyle (or lack thereof).
Old 08-04-2018, 11:43 AM
Nobility

Okay, just because I have asked this very question about a half dozen times on here and i have NEVER once received an answer. Could people please explain what a mess of a hair is? I am loosing my patience a little bit because no one ever actually says what the mess is and I am just wondering whether I am an in idiot who is not picking up on coded language where mess is supposed to mean something else.

How is her hair a mess? Because it moves when she turns her head?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Djwy-pKXsAAkeZ1.jpg:large
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...e-id1010784378
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...e-id1010784298

I just don't get where messy, unkempt and disheveled come from. So, please - for once, as a nice change of pace - I am genuinely hoping to receive an actual answer to this. I am not looking for a whole back and forth that gets a Meghan thread locked - again.

And if she'd wear this dress with the pink, green, baby blue and navy colourblock to a funeral it'd be highly inappropriate...
Old 08-04-2018, 11:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post
The unbuttoned blouse with the camisole under looks just as sloppy as if it was her bra. The whole thing is terrible, I can't believe this is what she thinks is appropriate for a summer wedding. She hasn't got a clue, I really am beginning to think she's a lost cause.
Actually, I'm a fan of camisoles with built in shelf bra. I'm putting together an outfit for an upcoming wedding and started with a vintage cream Oleg Cassini chiffon skirt. Pairing it with a vintage cream Edwardian lace blouse in the same shade of cream but plan on wearing a (drumroll) pink shelf bra lace camisole underneath the blouse (the lace is pretty see through) and have a matching pink belt and choker of the same design as the belt and pink ballet flats. The overall color of the accents are subject to change with my mood though. Not bad for the grandmother of the bride eh?

To me, wearing something that is visible like a peek of a camisole is far more sexier than an outfit where everything is sticking out profoundly. It accentuates the feminine. Even with the severest and minimalistic style that Meghan wears, one would be hard pressed to state that she's not feminine to the core.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:56 AM
Courtier

I've always been taught that 1) you shouldn't wear cream/white to a wedding as those are the bride's colors; 2) no one other than the bride should look 'sexy' (if she wishes), it's not about the attendees, it's about the bride.

I'm sure since you're the grandmother it's all good, but you're not in the public eye either.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Btw, it’s really nice to see how relaxed Meghan is with Harry’s maternal cousins. We don’t see them as often as Harry’s cousins from his paternal side.

And Chloep, I’m with you on this. There are a few snaps here and there wher she has some strands out of place, but I’d hardly call her hair a mess for her hair moving out place here and there as she walks outside with wind and movement. Hair moves! Surprised!

I’m also not understanding the inappropriate discussion as Meghan is actually on the conservative side of things compared to others at the wedding.

But perhapsFashionMaven hit the nail in the head when she said it’s more likely because she’s not what people consider “royal” dressing.

Closed Thread