The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 04:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

I love those earrings too...like to have them!

LaRae

Old 07-26-2018, 05:04 PM
Courtier

Yes, the earrings are lovely as well.

I'm confused by the objection to wearing heels at a polo event. I've seen more than a few women wearing them at such events, including Kate.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yeah I don't know what the objection is either...most of the upper scale equestrian events you will see women dressed up in all kinds of heels and dresses etc.

LaRae
Old 07-26-2018, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

How many times will I use the word "perfect" here ? Here I go once more : perfect look !
Old 07-26-2018, 06:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
Yes, the earrings are lovely as well.

I'm confused by the objection to wearing heels at a polo event. I've seen more than a few women wearing them at such events, including Kate.
Yeah and I object then as well. Nobody really wants their heels sinking into the grass all the time. It's a waste of a good shoe, considering they end up stained to sh.t forever.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Yeah and I object then as well. Nobody really wants their heels sinking into the grass all the time. It's a waste of a good shoe, considering they end up stained to sh.t forever.
I thought about that, but it looks like the ground there is pretty firm.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Part of the time they were walking on a roll of carpet too.

LaRae
Old 07-26-2018, 08:03 PM
Royal Highness

Meghan apparently likes heels, particularly for public events. It seems to me that she's also consciously wanting to bring her height up closer to Harry. Well, at least past his shoulders. Without heels Meghan reaches to Harry's shoulders and a bit slightly past. With heels she's brought up more past his shoulders and closer to his face.

I notice that Nacho Figueras' wife is tall, as she's wearing more of a flat shoe, and she's still taller than Meghan, and almost a slight bit taller than her husband, Nacho.

I like what Meghan is wearing. The color suits her, and the material must be very comfortable. I'm surprised she isn't wearing a hat. But I suppose she has on a lot of sunscreen to protect her skin. Her facial freckles seem very prominent in some photos. She definitely appears at ease and still on Cloud 9 in her relationship. I still think her sartorial stride hasn't been reached yet.

It doesn't really matter, but I just don't care for Duchess Meghan's consistent decision to go with very long hemlines on most of her dresses. She could have stood to allow the hemline length on this recent navy dress to be a tad bit higher. She carries off everything she wears with grace and elegance, but I just don't think all the long hemline lengths for practically every dress is that flattering for her. Some of the lengths that are mid to midi to maxi work very well: the olive green christening attire; the forest green A-line skirt worn on the plane to Dublin; the LBD by Emilia Wickstead at the garden party in Dublin; the yellow sleeveless A-line dress with a back slit by an American designer. And the stone green or gray dress to meet the Irish president and his wife was a nice length.

I also think the RAF ceremony dark navy dress' length was perfect. I liked both post-wedding blush pink dresses Meghan wore (BP garden party and TTC respectively - we just didn't get to see the length on the Caroline Herrera TTC dress). Also the green kick skirt with ruffled hem that Meghan wore to Ireland in March was just right. Even the maxi dress with asymmetrical hemline to Royal Ascot was fine, but I didn't care too much for the all-over white and some of the dress' styling. Still it worked okay, and the hat she wore to Royal Ascot was gorgeous. I also loved the stunning Jackie O Black Halo dress Meghan wore to a Commonwealth reception in April. But many of her other dresses have been so consistently long length. And some of them in particular do not hit her legs at a particularly enhancing level when they go too low. Particularly poor in terms of length was the lovely black suit Meghan wore to one of the Commonwealth service events with William and Harry. That particular suit comes in shorter lengths, and I think a shorter length would have looked better on Meghan. The fabric was gorgeous.

Also the long hemline lengths are a bit too conservative for me, when we know these lengths are really not and haven't been Meghan's style. It makes me wonder if she's overly conscious of her legs. Or perhaps she's focused right now on playing it safe on the conservative side, so as not to be accused of being too Hollywood. I certainly do not expect her to go to anywhere near mini or too high, but she's going so low past the knees consistently, and I don't always find such longer lengths flattering on her. Just below the knees or even a tad longer than that is fine for most outfits. And of course longer when warranted by the cut and style, such as with the Emilia Wickstead LBD. Meanwhile, I love Meghan's variety of different styles in pantswear.

Of course all my sartorial chatter is just that. Meghan is probably not over-focused on dress lengths. She's likely more focused on managing the logistics of her new life and on putting together suitable clothers for her upcoming overseas trips, with an eye to what they will be doing and what the weather will be like. She's surely also especially keeping a focus on her relationship, and on the important charitable work she's planning behind-the-scenes.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Skirts in general has trended to be longer in recent years, which in my opinion, isn't necessarily a bad thing. I was afraid where it would go when the dresses kept getting shorter and the necklines kept going lower. If you watched Suits, you would also notice that trend starting to happen as the seasons went on. A lot of Meghan's clothing actually reminds me of what a posh and fashionable executive would wear, so I'm not complaining. It has a power look rather than very girly one, yet it remains feminine.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

I am a woman who never wears heels even when dressed up, but I see no issue.

Cute pair of shoes, not like she is playing sports. I would much rather these then another pair of espadrilles.

I love the dress. Its very summery and light looking. I don't get the whole 'have to wear bright in summer'. Its the style not color that makes it seasonable.

Great look over all
Old 07-26-2018, 08:55 PM
Heir Apparent

She could use a bobby pin, behind each ear, to pin down the hair that causes her to touch it so much. The dress is a pretty, classic style which suits her. The shoes look ridiculous, the woman next to her has on a better shoes for the event. Also, those super high heels makes her legs look even skinnier. I really like the flat green shoe worn by the model of the dress.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I think the stiletto heels look ridiculous, especially as the two other women are wearing sensible shoes.
For the same reason I used to wear them everywhere . . . I am 5' which is short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
She looks great! I do not understand the desire to brand Meghan "Hollywood" when she spent the most successful years of her carer in Canada!

(..)
I finally found a photo that IMO demarks the celebrity/royalty line:

https://whatmeghanwore.net/wp-conten...1-1024x304.jpg

The photo I am referring to is shows the full length of her palazzo pants.

Celebrity: As photographed

Royalty: Hemmed and just clearing the ground.

The palazzo pants in and of themselves are neutral. It is how they are worn that counts.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Skirts in general has trended to be longer in recent years, which in my opinion, isn't necessarily a bad thing. I was afraid where it would go when the dresses kept getting shorter and the necklines kept going lower. If you watched Suits, you would also notice that trend starting to happen as the seasons went on. A lot of Meghan's clothing actually reminds me of what a posh and fashionable executive would wear, so I'm not complaining. It has a power look rather than very girly one, yet it remains feminine.
Sure, and I don't have a problem with a longer length hemline trend. Meghan's attire on Suits (for the character of course), generally tended to be at knee to below knee length. And all of the outfits looked great for her body, IMO.

I don't expect Meghan to wear the same style clothes as on Suits of course. What I'm saying is that even with a longer length style trend, it's quite clear that Meghan is going very conservatively longer length in many instances, which has never been her go-to on such a consistent basis. But yeah, she's melding her fashion sense with her new role. It seems to me a very conscious conservative decision she's made to mostly go overly longer length in hemlines. Even with the style trend situation, Meghan sometimes goes much lower than is actually flattering on her IMO.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Sure, and I don't have a problem with a longer length hemline trend. Meghan's attire on Suits (for the character of course), generally tended to be at knee to below knee length. And all of the outfits looked great for her body, IMO.

I don't expect Meghan to wear the same style clothes as on Suits of course. What I'm saying is that even with a longer length style trend, it's quite clear that Meghan is going very conservatively longer length in many instances, which has never been her go-to on such a consistent basis. But yeah, she's melding her fashion sense with her new role. It seems to me a very conscious conservative decision she's made to mostly go overly longer length in hemlines. Even with the style trend situation, Meghan sometimes goes much lower than is actually flattering on her IMO.
You dress for the occasion. Meghan has always incorporated that with her personal style. And I actually thinks she looks great in the longer length skirts because she has such thin legs (some of us aren't that lucky and have to work very hard for thinner legs) and can get away with a short distance between her hemline and shoes.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:30 PM
Royal Highness

I've always felt that Meghan absolutely rocks her legs! She may have been teased a bit in school growing up, but she definitely grew into her body and her unique style. In fact, that's why I'm a bit disappointed, as I think her legs are lovely, especially when the hem falls just right on her legs. Her thin legs look good on her body, but not when the hems fall at a certain too low level (depending upon the style of course, as the Emilia Wickstead was just right for the evening garden party). I also find it cute and funny that Meghan and Harry both have skinny legs.

IMO when Meghan's hemlines fall a bit too low, it's actually not that flattering to her legs. It's a matter of inches I think, along with the dress style. She looks fine in the navy denim-like dress, but I think she'd look better with the hem just slightly higher. Where it falls, it kind of doesn't enhance her legs as much IMHO. However, I don't have as much a problem with this particular dress' hemline, as I do with the black two-piece suit she wore in April to a Commonwealth service. That hemline fell so awkwardly on her legs in a way where it brought unflattering attention to the thinness of the bit of leg we did see along with her ankles. With even a tad higher length, it would have done her better justice because it was a gorgeous outfit in a beautiful fabric. Plus the design comes in a shorter length.

I actually think Meghan is purposely having what she wears made longer. Part of my complaining has to do with the fact she consistently goes with many long lengths. When she doesn't go too long, the lengths are always below the knee, but usually at a flattering length, albeit still conservative. And that I think is okay. I'm just disappointed by her seeming strict over-adherence to longer lengths, which I do not believe has that much to do with current style trends.

Even the yellow dress Duchess Meghan wore recently could have been slightly shorter, but I loved the color and at least it had a back slit. It would have been even more stunning with just a tad higher hem length and the back slit!

It's all a matter of perception, opinion and preference. Meghan can and will do as she pleases.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
You dress for the occasion. Meghan has always incorporated that with her personal style. And I actually thinks she looks great in the longer length skirts because she has such thin legs (some of us aren't that lucky and have to work very hard for thinner legs) and can get away with a short distance between her hemline and shoes.
Agreed. I don't see the issue.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

At least so far she has managed to avoid the unfortunate issues with her hems flying around all over the place...perhaps that's part of why she's wearing some of the lengths and fabrics she's choosing.

LaRae
Old 07-26-2018, 11:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
At least so far she has managed to avoid the unfortunate issues with her hems flying around all over the place...perhaps that's part of why she's wearing some of the lengths and fabrics she's choosing.
Possibly that's it! Better safe and conservative than windblown and embarrassed.

Meghan Markle can carry off any look with grace and elegance. Hmmm, except for the Spencer wedding,
country-curtains look with white fascinator atop pulled back bun and her go-to loose hair strands.

Here's a very cool Meghan Markle style video which gives a sense of her carefree, yet sophisticated elan, mostly pre-Harry when her life was a bit freer. But yeah, now she's in the love of a lifetime, on the adventure of a lifetime, and with that comes style changes. It will be interesting to see her sartorial evolution over time as the Duchess of Sussex. The title of the video is a bit misleading because she was not the Duchess of Sussex at the time of most of these clips:

From this video, it definitely seems like Meghan always loved and wore stilettos and high heels for work (modeling and acting), as well as for red carpet events, etc. In her casual down time, she apparently wore flats. Still obviously these days, she is seeming to rely very much on stilettos even for some more casual outings with Prince Harry, such as the Invictus trials earlier this year.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:40 AM
Aristocracy

What a lovely look.

Personally I love the dress, its fit and the features (the v neck, cap sleeves, flred skirt and the wide belt). I also love the chambray fabric.

I'm personally not a fan of stilletto heels (never been able tolerate them even though my husband and I have a greater height differential between us - over a foot - than Meghan and Harry). However as the French says - chacun a son gout - each to his/her own taste. Meghan obviously enjoys wearing them. I also like the clutch.

Her hair looks fine to me and I think her makeup is beautiful, very natural.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Just what I am seeing, too. She is not at all 'girly' but always feminine.

This current dress is so 'typical' of Meghan as a royal imo. I am starting to see that. She is absolutely all business while still having fun. There is no 'look at me' at all about her dressing (except when it's asked for, her great black and white Ascot hat comes to mind). I was just recently looking at a fashion overview of some very famous royals from days gone by, and I have to say those royals' fashion style was exceptionally flashy. What they wore always made them front and center. That was a choice, and perhaps reflected the times. Meghan is 180' in the other direction: low key, but classy and elegant. With her it's in the details. It's also possible that since she comes from a flashy background, she is more comfortable not being flashy now when her very position makes her front and center wherever she goes. Why gild the lily?