The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 08:59 PM
Royal Highness

Totally agree with you, just black heels and a purse is enough to pull it all together.....that would be so chic!

Old 07-17-2018, 09:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

One thing to remember when talking fit- this isn't a dress, its a jacket. Its not going to fit like a glove like a coat dress would. Because its a layered look. There is something under it. Its not a coat dress, its a coat.

Also price wise-not much better but that price is Canadian. Its less then 700 pounds.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
One thing to remember when talking fit- this isn't a dress, its a jacket. Its not going to fit like a glove like a coat dress would. Because its a layered look. There is something under it. Its not a coat dress, its a coat.

Also price wise-not much better but that price is Canadian. Its less then 700 pounds.
What jacket are you talking about? It may be described as a trench coat but she wore it as a dress-there was nothing under it but her undergarments.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:28 PM
Courtier

Well we don't know for certain that she only had on undergarments. But it's definitely a dress and I agree that it doesn't need to fit like a glove. As I said earlier, the fit was just fine to me.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:28 PM
Heir Apparent

I like the style and color. Don’t like messy hair on anyone, too much fiddling with it. Let’s lighten up folks, with all that is going on in the world, this is supposed to be fun.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
The Duchess of Sussex in a trench dress by House of Nonie at the opening of an exhibition about the life of Nelson Mandela in London today, July 17.

** Upper part 2 **
She is a very good looking woman so evident in this photo. Great features on this coat-dress: the uniquely styled collar, front and back. Looks great imo. Love the summery color.

Also, often impressions of an outfit are a function of the quality of the photographs. The above photo really shows the impression of the whole look to good advantage. I like it. It's 'very Meghan'. I am starting to 'get' her royal style. It's very much a 'working' wardrobe and will not be flashy in any way. I like it. Also like the casualness of her hair (the so-called 'messy bun'). She dresses well but not in a 'look at me' way. I think it's always going to be 'muted' with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
** Back view **
Second outfit with this feature that reminds me of a bolero jacket, only in this case it is part of the trench-dress. I find myself appreciating the look especially from the back. What's created is an interesting back outline. Has gotten me thinking. I'm going to start searching out this feature in clothing. Thank you, Meghan.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
The messy bun is my least favorite hairstyle for her. I think the look could of been nicer with a smoother/sleeker updo/bun and a black belt at the waist. But I still liked her outfit today.

LaRae
I'd like to see a nice wide macrame type woven belt with a pretty buckle to give the dress/coat some shape, but maybe she doesn't feel like wearing a belt today.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
I'd like to see a nice wide macrame type woven belt with a pretty buckle to give the dress/coat some shape, but maybe she doesn't feel like wearing a belt today.
Seems to me that would be too fussy for her preferred style. I think she will always disappoint if one is keen to see a kind of layered variation at work. Have to look elsewhere for that methinks. She may change over time but so far I think her style will stay 'architectural' and minimalist. We'll see, not so?
Old 07-18-2018, 02:35 AM
Gentry

Sick and tired of the “messy bun “ . Meghan s natural hair texture is very curly so she will always have the hair style problem to deal with .

Both the looks at Wimbledon and at the Mandela exhibition didn’t work for me .

The Wimbledon look - the shirt was a size too big for her as were the pants . And the shirt looked like she’d just put it on without straightening it out , the collar was also standing up . The least thing she can do is put in an effort when out in public . She’s got it right only about 3 -4 times since the wedding !

Moreover , Meghan is really petite - small boned and very thin so she must get sizes that fit her to the T else she looks like the clothes wear her and not vice versa !
Old 07-18-2018, 04:24 AM
Royal Highness

Meghan is small-boned which means a small frame. However, at 5' 7" she's of average height, so she's not really that petite. Although I suspect she wears the stilettos in order to bring her height up past Harry's shoulders (and maybe because those types of shoes are in style).

As far as the Nonie trench dress, I think it's casual elegance on Meghan. The only thing I don't like is the length. Some longer hem lengths look okay on Meghan, including the Emilia Wickstead LBD, the yellow sleeveless dress was okay with the slit on the back right side, and the Cheshire outfit, and the Royal Ascot dress length were both okay. I haven't particularly cared for some of the other longer hem lengths (i.e., the black two-piece suit she wore a few months ago for a Commonwealth event church service, and the cream outfit with flared fabric that she wore at a reception event with the Queen and Prince Harry). Today's nearly maxi length I don't think falls at an enhancing length on Meghan. It could also be that I don't understand why she consistently goes so conservative with her hem lengths. I like the just below the knees look better on Meghan, or perhaps slightly lower. The olive christening dress, the Roland Mouret dresses, even the body-hugging forest green skirt in Dublin, and the brighter green kick skirt she wore on the earlier trip to Ireland in March all have nice hem lengths for Meghan.

I think the Nonie trench dress would look better if it weren't quite so long. Otherwise, the styling is nice and I like her accessories. She definitely prefers monochrome styling. And I agree that she seemingly will be a bit neater with her hair at formal public events, and go with the messy bun look whenever she feels in the mood for more casual outings.

Meghan is a very low maintenance, laid-back diva. And yes, she's still going through a transition in terms of putting together looks for her new role. It's early days yet. I'm sure we will see a burgeoning style evolution as time passes and she gains increasing confidence and surety in her new country, new marriage, new adventures. None of us are going to agree about anything she chooses to wear. I would imagine that she's having fun with experimenting right now.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:59 AM
Royal Highness

Oh yes I think it is wonderful to see all the new styles that Meghan will be wearing in the future....that is something I look forward to with much glee. I do not like everything of hers yet she has very good taste in clothes and purses of course. I do not think things have to be perfect on her all the time, as like the messy bun, I love that messy bun, I wear it daily as my lifestyle does not require royal events.... so it is my go to hair for running around town. I am so waiting for evening events with gowns and tiaras someday.......that is the icing on the cake for me....so Meghan dear, bring it all on here for us....
Old 07-18-2018, 11:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post

Oh yes I think it is wonderful to see all the new styles that Meghan will be wearing in the future....that is something I look forward to with much glee. I do not like everything of hers yet she has very good taste in clothes and purses of course. I do not think things have to be perfect on her all the time, as like the messy bun, I love that messy bun, I wear it daily as my lifestyle does not require royal events.... so it is my go to hair for running around town. I am so waiting for evening events with gowns and tiaras someday.......that is the icing on the cake for me....so Meghan dear, bring it all on here for us....
I really like the looser hairstyles on her, too. I think she needs to strategically deploy the tighter buns/sleeker updos when it’s really windy, I think she needs to reign in the fiddling that she does with her hair when all or parts of it are down, but I honestly don’t find these hairstyles truly “messy,” even if that’s the standard term of the moment for updos with loose bits, and I think the softness of those styles suits her face.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:10 PM
Royal Highness

Yes your very right, it does bring a pretty softness to her face with the loose wisps of hair....that is just natural for all of us women that at times have hair not obeying where we want it to go....
Old 07-18-2018, 04:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea6 View Post
Sick and tired of the “messy bun “ . Meghan s natural hair texture is very curly so she will always have the hair style problem to deal with .
As someone with natually thick/curly hair, I'm not sure what you mean by this. I don't think she has any hair style problem.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:17 AM
Nobility

I can't say i like the trensh/dress without sleeves but the color is nice as the bag the only problem the outfit looks big on her i rhink she is too thin to pull it of
Old 07-26-2018, 08:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Meghan ready to watch Harry play in the charity polo match today.

Caroline Herrara dress
Meghan is wearing a new pair of Aquazzura Deneuve Bow Pump but in a nude colour.
Meghan's earrings are the Bee Chic collection from @Birks, in blue topaz (tentatively).
Fan Rattan clutch by JCrew

I love everything except the purse. The oversized 'Jackie' style sunglasses seem to be making a comeback.

LaRae
Old 07-26-2018, 08:39 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 2: July 2018 -

Love the style of the dress and shoes, the sunglasses are too big for her face IMO and I wish it wasn’t navy!

https://twitter.com/emynash/status/1...428925952?s=21

- here’s a twitter link as that picture might get removed.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:52 AM
Commoner

The dress is cute but she really needs to learn how to do her hair or hire a better stylist
Old 07-26-2018, 08:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Meghan ready to watch Harry play in the charity polo match today.

Caroline Herrara dress
Meghan is wearing a new pair of Aquazzura Deneuve Bow Pump but in a nude colour.
Meghan's earrings are the Bee Chic collection from @Birks, in blue topaz (tentatively).
Fan Rattan clutch by JCrew
Lovely dress. I just wish that:

A) it was a lighter colour, given the weather

B) Was a British fashion label, and not yet another foreign brand!
Old 07-26-2018, 09:06 AM
Majesty

I think the stiletto heels look ridiculous, especially as the two other women are wearing sensible shoes.

Closed Thread