The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 08:40 AM
Courtier

I was going to mention that this is the only version of a coat dress I care to see her in. More effortless chic than royal uniform-esque.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:47 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I am not a big fan of trenchcoat deigns but she looks nice in it. Love the bag. I like her casual, youthful style. Keep it up Meg! And the dress is one of her previously owned from when she lived in Toronto according to press. So this one is out her own pocket for those concerned.
Good to know �� How much do you want to bet that it will be counted as a new purchase by some?

Old 07-17-2018, 08:50 AM
Serene Highness

I like the look on Meghan even though it's not one I'd wear.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:58 AM
Courtier

This interpretation of a trench dress is too literal. Losing the flaps on the front and back would help. The dress has swallowed her. It’s the trench dress that ate Manhattan!
Old 07-17-2018, 09:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
Good to know �� How much do you want to bet that it will be counted as a new purchase by some?
Oh I am sure they will. Gotta keep that agenda going. Meghan has actually worn many things she already owned yet they included in their silly little stories. With one google search they are proven wrong but ya know.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:09 AM
Serene Highness

Seeing videos, it looks ok but I think its still too long. I also think it should just have a natural nipped waist and not the tie belt which ruins what are very classic lines.

I for one am happy to see her in her signature messy hair do lol. Just because its what she obviously likes and she is sticking to her guns.

Also, make up wise 10/10.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:21 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

The Duchess of Sussex in a trench dress by House of Nonie at the opening of an exhibition about the life of Nelson Mandela in London today, July 17.

** Full view ** Full view 2 ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 ** Upper part 3 ** Back view **

Back to beige, and back to boring. Horrid outfit in my opinion, the collar the buttons. It doesn’t suit her frame at all for me.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:24 AM
Gentry

Don't like. It's no big deal to me about if she wears color or not, so that's not it. I'm just not a fan of that collar with a sleeveless dress.

Look, I didn't get tarred and feathered

Oh, and wanted to mention that according to People, this is a dress she already owned prior to becoming a duchess.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Beige is called for at times. Like when going for a trench coat style. Trench coats, traditionally, are beige. She'd look like some twenty something year old trying to look too hip, if she wore some bright color. Burberry and this Canadian brand are right, trench coats or dresses should be brown.

I love the look. Length bothering me a bit but still fantastic

Shock only one person mentions it is a commonwealth brand. We all know if it was a foreign brand she would be put through the wringer by some.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:37 AM
Courtier

I agree with this photographer.

https://twitter.com/DelMody/status/1...243857408?s=19

The more I see the dress, the more I like it. The length is perfect for me.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

I really don't like the styling of this dress. She has done better so many other times. I don't mind the colour even tho most of you feel she has worn it too often before. I guess I don't think this style suits her very well at all.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:50 AM
Heir Apparent

VERY 'Out of Africa', or as Meryl pronounced it "Afreecaa"
Old 07-17-2018, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I don’t know why people think by saying “it’s supposed to look that way” or “it fits just fine” really matters.

If someone thinks it’s too big, it’s too big. If you think the fit is fine, that’s good too.

It’s lik art. If I don’t like the look of something, no amount of telling me the painting is a masterpiece is going to change anything.

Her hair looks like a mess. Well it’s supposed to look that way. Oh well if it’s supposed to look that way that makes it’s ok.
By the same token, why do people think saying "it's too big" matters?

And if it's big or not isn't much of an opinion, it is a matter of fact that can be verified. And here, the shoulder and waist are both correctly sized. I'm assuming we aren't going argue that the skirt is too big and can agree it's not a form fitting skirt. Now, whether some like it or not, that's an opinion similar to if you like a piece of art or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
VERY 'Out of Africa', or as Meryl pronounced it "Afreecaa"
You know, I didn't think about that, but that's an interesting observation.

Meghan has previously carried this Mulberry bag in May 2017.

The paparazzi photos of her coming of spa around the time of Pippa's wedding.

ETA: I had the date wrong. It was May 2017, and not May 2016.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:11 AM
Courtier

I normally can find some piece of Meghan's outfit that I like very much even if I don't care for the overall look but try as I might I just can't with this outfit. The whole look is just a miss. The messy hair, the all over beige, the trenchcoat and everything about it...just a solid miss. I do understand that the trench fits just the way it's supposed to but that doesn't mean that it's flattering and in this case I just really don't think it does anything at all for Meghan. She's very, very petite and given her size and frame things can and do easily swamp her and this absolutely does that. She just looks completely swallowed up in a sea of beige. The beautiful olive green and summery yellow and well tamed hair were such great looks and I really held out high hopes that we'd see so much more of that but after Saturday and now today it appears that we're back to messy and oversized.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:28 AM
Commoner

I do not like this outfit.

However, I like that she is wearing a Canadian dress from her own closet. Good commonwealth support. Additionally, I like that the bag is from a British brand.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Not seeing the beige I guess..it looks pinkish/blush on my screen.

LaRae
Old 07-17-2018, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I don't mind the beige colour but sadly the outfit doesn't appeal to me I feel she can wear better.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent

The best thing about this outfit is that she's not wearing those horrible wide leg pants.

Dress makes her look shapeless, and I despise the hair because that's how she wore it at the wedding. without a veil it appears even more of an insult that she got married with hair like that.

Her makeup looks beautiful and I am really wondering who does it for her.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I normally can find some piece of Meghan's outfit that I like very much even if I don't care for the overall look but try as I might I just can't with this outfit. The whole look is just a miss. The messy hair, the all over beige, the trenchcoat and everything about it...just a solid miss. I do understand that the trench fits just the way it's supposed to but that doesn't mean that it's flattering and in this case I just really don't think it does anything at all for Meghan. She's very, very petite and given her size and frame things can and do easily swamp her and this absolutely does that. She just looks completely swallowed up in a sea of beige. The beautiful olive green and summery yellow and well tamed hair were such great looks and I really held out high hopes that we'd see so much more of that but after Saturday and now today it appears that we're back to messy and oversized.
Meghan is still in the early stages of royal life but I think we have a pretty good idea of how she will approach different occasions. She will have a more polished look at formal events but for less formal, more casual engagements, we will see her embracing the "messy" hair and less traditional royal outfits. That's not going to be an appealing approach for all and that's fine. But I personally like that she is sticking to her preferences and doesn't feel pressured to always style herself as others believe she should. That's what makes her seem fresh and modern for a lot of women, myself included.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:48 AM
Courtier

I'm confused by how anyone could call this too big. Look at how it's straining under her arm and on the side of her chest. It's too small! Not by much, but she honestly could not go any smaller and button the torso section. It does have an A-line skirt that starts high, so it's not as tight through the hips as other dresses might be, perhaps that's what people are thinking is too big? And the raincoat style flap adds visual bulk and sticks out, which it would no matter what because it's a flap and it's stiff. But those factors aren't a matter of the size being wrong, that's a matter of folks not liking the cut, which is something different. Valid, but different.

Closed Thread