The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 2: July 2018 - August 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll suppose I’ll go with what the post above said. “because it fits the way it’s supposed to doesn’t mean it’s flattering”.

That covers the bases for me.

This dress changes color with the lighting. :lol: It doesn't remotely look the same on two of the photos I saw.:ermm:

Yep I caught that too...blush outside and beige inside.

LaRae

Well this is the first thing she has worn to date that I really don’t like. It fits just fine and I like the color and it looks good on her, but I prefer my trench as a coat. That’s it.. It’s just not my taste.

Can't say that I remotely like this outfit. Cut out the sleeves to a trench and "viola" you've got a dress. Don't think so. Can't even comment on the jewels (if there are any) and the hair because the dress is just so (IMO) terrible.

Well read everything about this outfit and for me, I love it.....it is perfect for me and would wear it as is in a heartbeat. It is not meant to be form fitting and not everything has to be such, this is beautifully made and from what I see fits her to a T, who needs to see everything anyhow in what we wear...I like messy buns, so what if a few hairs fly away, not the end of the world to me. Her make-up today is great and the only difference I would do is the purse and shoes in black for that would bring the look together for me as black and beige go together very well. Harry is very very casual today, more so then Meghan and she has NOT lost her sparkle at all for that smile is genuine when she looks at Harry!

I like the bag, but not the dress. Too much going on & not a flattering fit. If she had worn her hair down there would have been way too much going on, but the messy look is not a good one.

People is reporting that this dress is actually from Meghan's own closet as she purchased it before moving to London in the Fall of 2017.

Don't like this look. I think if the flaps were removed along with the high collar, it would be so much better. Color doesn't bother me either...she's a beige girl, I'm a grey girl. To each their own.

But can I say that I absolutely LOVE this bag and shoes. I will say it again, Meghan's accessories are what will bring revenue to UK and Commonwealth brands, to include in this her fall and winter coats. Nothing beats a beautifully made wool coat from Scotland.

Don't like this look. I think if the flaps were removed along with the high collar, it would be so much better. Color doesn't bother me either...she's a beige girl, I'm a grey girl. To each their own.

But can I say that I absolutely LOVE this bag and shoes. I will say it again, Meghan's accessories are what will bring revenue to UK and Commonwealth brands, to include in this her fall and winter coats. Nothing beats a beautifully made wool coat from Scotland.

I actually thought it needed more to bring out the contrast. See how the back of the trench looked.

I will agree with you on the latter. I wouldn't spend $1k or more on a dress, but I will spend that on bags and coats.

She will have a more polished look at formal events but for less formal, more casual engagements, we will see her embracing the "messy" hair and less traditional royal outfits. That's not going to be an appealing approach for all and that's fine. But I personally like that she is sticking to her preferences and doesn't feel pressured to always style herself as others believe she should. That's what makes her seem fresh and modern for a lot of women, myself included.

The funny part is, I actually agree with this. I think it's just the fact that her "less traditional" outfits are just often things I don't like. It's kind of like the messy hair....in certain settings and certain more casual engagements I actually think her messy bun would be super cute and comfortable and fit right in. But, that's not for all occasions. And I think sometimes she mixes too many nontraditional things at once. This outfit, for instance, was just too much. The hair with a different outfit or the outfit with sleeker hair might have worked better but with the buttons and the belt and the collar and the messy bun and the solid beige/blush all over it just feels like too much. I personally loved the white button up and ripped jeans we saw at the IG but I think I loved it because her hair was down and looked a bit more sleek. I'm not even sure that completely makes sense but I guess I kind of equate it with the "look in the mirror and take off one thing" advice...messy hair with less busy outfit or sleek hair with busier, i.e. nontraditional, outfit.

I don't think this outfit is really that busy, not so much so that a messy bun would be too much. But to each their own.

I would have really liked this dress if it didn't have the big collar on it. It's just dar too big and should have been downsized.

Quite a messy look. The trench looks 2 sizes too big, either bought too big or Meghan is getting thinner by the day.
That is altogether possible, however, I like her in this style and it is obviously a style she likes as it is not dissimilar to her Navy Belted wrap dress.

Not seeing the beige I guess..it looks pinkish/blush on my screen.

LaRae
Looks pinkish/blush on mine too. I often wonder how often we are misled by photos of an ensemble that in reality is a totally different colour to that which we saw on our screens.

I am not sure about the hair though. I was reading an article this morning where they were bewailing the fact that she seems to be growing the front wisps of hair out. Then again, the standup collar could also be messing with the look. I cannot imagine her wearing her hair in a sleek style unless it was an updo as the collar would look odd and make a mess of her hair if it were down.

i like the idea of sleevesless trensh i love the color too i think the design is pretty however i find the trensh/dress a terrible fit on Meghan,she doesn't have the figure to pull it off the whole outfit seems ill fitted and i think this her eternal problem most of her clothes look ill fitted on her
the bag is to die for,the hair is a big mess.

That is altogether possible, however, I like her in this style and it is obviously a style she likes as it is not dissimilar to her Navy Belted wrap dress.

Looks pinkish/blush on mine too. I often wonder how often we are misled by photos of an ensemble that in reality is a totally different colour to that which we saw on our screens.

I am not sure about the hair though. I was reading an article this morning where they were bewailing the fact that she seems to be growing the front wisps of hair out. Then again, the standup collar could also be messing with the look. I cannot imagine her wearing her hair in a sleek style unless it was an updo as the collar would look odd and make a mess of her hair if it were down.

The messy bun is my least favorite hairstyle for her. I think the look could of been nicer with a smoother/sleeker updo/bun and a black belt at the waist. But I still liked her outfit today.

LaRae

Black belt? No thanks. Black heels/accessories would have been ok though.

:previous:
Totally agree with you, just black heels and a purse is enough to pull it all together.....that would be so chic!

One thing to remember when talking fit- this isn't a dress, its a jacket. Its not going to fit like a glove like a coat dress would. Because its a layered look. There is something under it. Its not a coat dress, its a coat.

Also price wise-not much better but that price is Canadian. Its less then 700 pounds.

One thing to remember when talking fit- this isn't a dress, its a jacket. Its not going to fit like a glove like a coat dress would. Because its a layered look. There is something under it. Its not a coat dress, its a coat.

Also price wise-not much better but that price is Canadian. Its less then 700 pounds.

What jacket are you talking about? It may be described as a trench coat but she wore it as a dress-there was nothing under it but her undergarments.

Last edited:
Well we don't know for certain that she only had on undergarments. :lol: But it's definitely a dress and I agree that it doesn't need to fit like a glove. As I said earlier, the fit was just fine to me.

I like the style and color. Don’t like messy hair on anyone, too much fiddling with it. Let’s lighten up folks, with all that is going on in the world, this is supposed to be fun.

The Duchess of Sussex in a trench dress by House of Nonie at the opening of an exhibition about the life of Nelson Mandela in London today, July 17.

** Upper part 2 **

She is a very good looking woman :flowers: so evident in this photo. Great features on this coat-dress: the uniquely styled collar, front and back. Looks great imo. Love the summery color.

Also, often impressions of an outfit are a function of the quality of the photographs. ;) The above photo really shows the impression of the whole look to good advantage. I like it. It's 'very Meghan'. I am starting to 'get' her royal style. It's very much a 'working' wardrobe and will not be flashy in any way. I like it. Also like the casualness of her hair (the so-called 'messy bun'). She dresses well but not in a 'look at me' way. I think it's always going to be 'muted' with her.

Second outfit with this feature that reminds me of a bolero jacket, only in this case it is part of the trench-dress. I find myself appreciating the look especially from the back. :flowers: What's created is an interesting back outline. Has gotten me thinking. I'm going to start searching out this feature in clothing. Thank you, Meghan. ;)

Last edited:
The messy bun is my least favorite hairstyle for her. I think the look could of been nicer with a smoother/sleeker updo/bun and a black belt at the waist. But I still liked her outfit today.

LaRae

I'd like to see a nice wide macrame type woven belt with a pretty buckle to give the dress/coat some shape, but maybe she doesn't feel like wearing a belt today.

I'd like to see a nice wide macrame type woven belt with a pretty buckle to give the dress/coat some shape, but maybe she doesn't feel like wearing a belt today.

Seems to me that would be too fussy for her preferred style. :flowers: I think she will always disappoint if one is keen to see a kind of layered variation at work. Have to look elsewhere for that methinks. She may change over time but so far I think her style will stay 'architectural' and minimalist. We'll see, not so? ;)

Sick and tired of the “messy bun “ . Meghan s natural hair texture is very curly so she will always have the hair style problem to deal with .

Both the looks at Wimbledon and at the Mandela exhibition didn’t work for me .

The Wimbledon look - the shirt was a size too big for her as were the pants . And the shirt looked like she’d just put it on without straightening it out , the collar was also standing up . The least thing she can do is put in an effort when out in public . She’s got it right only about 3 -4 times since the wedding !

Moreover , Meghan is really petite - small boned and very thin so she must get sizes that fit her to the T else she looks like the clothes wear her and not vice versa !

Meghan is small-boned which means a small frame. However, at 5' 7" she's of average height, so she's not really that petite. Although I suspect she wears the stilettos in order to bring her height up past Harry's shoulders (and maybe because those types of shoes are in style).

As far as the Nonie trench dress, I think it's casual elegance on Meghan. The only thing I don't like is the length. Some longer hem lengths look okay on Meghan, including the Emilia Wickstead LBD, the yellow sleeveless dress was okay with the slit on the back right side, and the Cheshire outfit, and the Royal Ascot dress length were both okay. I haven't particularly cared for some of the other longer hem lengths (i.e., the black two-piece suit she wore a few months ago for a Commonwealth event church service, and the cream outfit with flared fabric that she wore at a reception event with the Queen and Prince Harry). Today's nearly maxi length I don't think falls at an enhancing length on Meghan. It could also be that I don't understand why she consistently goes so conservative with her hem lengths. I like the just below the knees look better on Meghan, or perhaps slightly lower. The olive christening dress, the Roland Mouret dresses, even the body-hugging forest green skirt in Dublin, and the brighter green kick skirt she wore on the earlier trip to Ireland in March all have nice hem lengths for Meghan.

I think the Nonie trench dress would look better if it weren't quite so long. Otherwise, the styling is nice and I like her accessories. She definitely prefers monochrome styling. And I agree that she seemingly will be a bit neater with her hair at formal public events, and go with the messy bun look whenever she feels in the mood for more casual outings.

Meghan is a very low maintenance, laid-back diva. And yes, she's still going through a transition in terms of putting together looks for her new role. It's early days yet. I'm sure we will see a burgeoning style evolution as time passes and she gains increasing confidence and surety in her new country, new marriage, new adventures. None of us are going to agree about anything she chooses to wear. I would imagine that she's having fun with experimenting right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom