The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 10:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Hi Heather- I've seen similar more relaxed looks (no hats) on Kate and Camilla when they attend garden parties outside the UK. So the cocktail style wear seemed appropriate to me.
As I said, I have no idea what others were wearing so it might have been completely appropriate and that sounds like it was the case. However, in that case, I'll revise my opinion to say that while entirely appropriate and of a nice fit, I would have liked to see a pop of color. The yellow and the olive both worked so beautifully on Meghan, I would have loved to see a mint green, a nice blue, a pink (not dusty pink but just pink), or even a beautiful lilac. The style of the dress itself was pretty, fit well, and seems very appropriate for the event but would have been absolutely stunning in a beautiful summery color.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Another nice look today for the visit to the President and back into Dublin,hope her dress didn't get any dog hairs from the 1st visit!
I hope she didn't pick any up too. She comes home and Guy gets a good whiff of another dog and he'll be upset because he didn't get to go too and play. I remember the expressions on my Dawg's face when that happened. They *know*.

I actually like the dress. This is another one that will be very serviceable for recycling. I'd love to be able to wear Meghan's fashions but at the rate I'm going right now, I'm more apt to fit into the Queen's wardrobe.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:30 AM
Heir Apparent

I do not like the gray dress, and I was wandering about the black dress, I thought black it was only for funerals for the royals?
anyhow, she looks fantastic in all the outfits, very nice and ver princess
Old 07-11-2018, 11:32 AM
Serene Highness

I have a Ralph Lauren dress (in pink & v-neck) similar to the RM, so I like the style. But I do not care for the color, especially in summer, and she needs better foundation garments asap.

The trouser suit is nice. I own a few variations on that theme.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
I do not like the gray dress, and I was wandering about the black dress, I thought black it was only for funerals for the royals?
That's a "protocol" the media made up. Now I will say the older members of BRF follows this, but it seem much more to do with the dressing rule while they were growing up than any royal protocol.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:38 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
That's a "protocol" the media made up. Now I will say the older members of BRF follows this, but it seem much more to do with the dressing rule while they were growing up than any royal protocol.
Indeed. Sophie regularly wears black, for example.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Along these lines discussing British royals wearing black, I think it may stem from that when these royals pack to go on tours, it is an essential that they always take black mourning clothes with them should the need arise.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:15 PM
Serene Highness

I will say that I think for the pitch she should have worn flats or a nice pair of loafers. The suit would have worked with either! She could have changed back into heels for other events

Saw this on another board and thought it was inspired. This company is the first women only tailor on Savile and makes bespoke pieces. Meghan is already paying high prices so why not support a smaller, independent, women driven brand like this? She could wonders for them versus a Dior

https://www.gormleyandgamble.com
Old 07-11-2018, 12:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I'll be the outlier here: I love the Roland Mouret dress, including the taupe color. After watching the videos of her in it, I love the way it moves, and the color is subtle (and will be appropriate for multiple seasons, so she can get lots of use out of it.) The one thing I don't care for is the way her strapless bra clearly shows through in some of the video/photographs. It's one of the problems associated with that oh-so-flattering bateau neckline: your choice is strapless or none at all and in this case the particular underpinnings she chose didn't play well with the fabric of the dress.

Otherwise, I adore this dress!

The black suit is fine; it looks good, it suits the engagement, it's black. Fine.
I feel as you do. Love the dress! But the fit on top ruins it.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:47 PM
Aristocracy

Thumbs up

Love all of her looks in Ireland. Nothing too trendy that won't be in style years from now. Like she said, CLASSIC pieces. Nothing too over stated.

That green was to die for, Like Meghan I can wear any color and the color would just POP on my against my skin color ( I am about 2 shades darker than Meghan. More in the Line of Golden Brown Sugar).

I just wish for being that it is summer, I wish her dresses were few shades lighter. She still looked amazing, but I can see her wearing these same clothes to events in the fall and winter. Love the Pants.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:53 PM
Commoner

I liked her dress for the RAF ceremony, and the dark green of the other dress (it's the same green like my hair has right now). Of all the dresses/clothes i tend to love her style more than Kates. I think she could wear Jil Sander
Old 07-11-2018, 02:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Interesting situation with the fashion and location discussion that's been going on lately.

The shoes Meghan wore yesterday when she landed in Ireland and this morning when meeting the President and First Lady are by Paul Andrew. He's British born, but now based in New York. How do you count that? I think it a globalized world, we can't really take a very narrow view on what is the limited pool of designers a royal can or cannot work with. That line has long blurred with immigration and foreign investments.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:22 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 2: July 2018 -

The trouser suit and white top is such a good look. I totally agree with the comments about the wrong undergarment for the taupe dress. The side view of the dress is lovely but I haven't seen a flattering front view picture. It's a shame because it is a stylish and elegant dress. How does she manage in those heels?
Old 07-11-2018, 03:52 PM
Courtier

The taupe dress had the wrong foundation garments, or perhaps it needed a better lining.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Also I notice how she uses solid colours, nothing else at the moment, but I like them I must say! her shoe are lovely! Also I read she does not have a make up artist with her , she doe her own make up!
Old 07-11-2018, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
Also I notice how she uses solid colours, nothing else at the moment, but I like them I must say! her shoe are lovely! Also I read she does not have a make up artist with her , she doe her own make up!
I think she's said in the past that she doesn't do much prints (and that's why Rachel on Suits doesn't do much prints either).
Old 07-11-2018, 05:14 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Meghan's dress seems to have quite an odd fitting on the top half for me, almost like it's too tight for her. The colour is slightly drab but Meghan still manages to look good. She has such an elegant poise.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-11-2018, 05:32 PM
Nobility

The tour was a nice short first tour the only thing that disappointed me in this tour was the lack of Irish designers. When she did her regional tour pre-wedding we saw her incorporate brands from the local region.

Wearing a green outfit by a French designer is very superficial form of sartorial dressing compared to wearing any piece by an Irish designer that's any colour of the rainbow

It's a very simple and small gesture that means a lot to local brands and shows a lot of thoughtfulness.

I was shocked to see no Irish designers. I hope this was a one-off and not a continued trend, one of the most exciting parts about tours is you get introduced to different local designers.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

both look from today are successful
the Ralph Lauren is pretty but i would prefer other color
the suit is chic smart and feminine
Old 07-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

10/10 for all the outfits in Dublin.....and her marvellous smile !

Closed Thread