The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 2: July 2018 - August 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with it all other than the uniform. It's one thing when the Queen or Camilla does it at their age, but no to uniforms for someone in her 30s. That's too young for a uniform look this day and age. Have a little fun.

I think there's a middle ground between the Queen's print dress and coat combo and having too much "fun with fashion." I think both Letizia and CP Mary have found that balance in that they both have a recognizable style in their working wardrobe, they both have a good mix of home grown and foreign designers, and they both look elegant and stylish the majority of time (the occasional "what was she thinking?" to one side.)

If Meghan wants primarily to be known for the work she does, a super fashion forward wardrobe would not be a good thing, because then the story becomes what she is wearing rather than what she is doing or the cause she is representing. It's a fine balance, for sure, and it will be interesting to see how she navigates that, and where she ends up falling on the spectrum from fashion-forward to predictable.

So far I've stayed away from the discussion regarding which designers Meghan wears. However, I feel like foreign tours, even short ones, require a bit of a difference from regular every day dress.

As for her clothing while she's in her newly adopted home country, I would expect to see a mix of British designers along with French, American, etc. along with a mix of high street vs. couture. This seems to be the accepted way of doing things amongst the other women in the RF and it seems logical to me that this would work well for the day in and day out on home soil. I'm also trying to be open minded about the fact that she's still amassing pieces of a royal wardrobe, some pieces were probably ordered during her engagement period (probably a reason we've seen so much Givenchy, given the fact that they were already working with her and her measurements for her wedding dress), and some may be things she acquired prior to her relationship with Harry and didn't see any sense in no longer wearing which makes perfect sense.

As for foreign tours, though, even short ones, at least a smattering of pieces from local designers should have been included if for no other reason than to be build a little good will from the sector that keeps tabs on the fashion aspect. I won't pretend that I know all there is to know about fashion, designers, couture, etc. and I certainly can't name any Irish designers off the top of my head. But, even if she chose to wear her preferred designers, it would have been a nice gesture to incorporate a bit of Irish-designed and created jewelry, an Irish-brand bag, etc. I imagine much of her wardrobe for this Irish tour was planned and purchased some time ago. Yes the tour was short but she did have multiple outfit changes and I wouldn't have thought it would be terribly difficult to quickly source and showcase a couple of Irish accessories.

Time will tell if this continues to be an issue on tours both short and long. I can see the uproar becoming much louder and even more negative than it already is should she choose not to showcase local designers and brands on longer tours. Hopefully she'll find that she doesn't have to wear 100% local on her tours but that it means a lot to the people in the area she's touring to see their country represented in her accessories, a couple of standout pieces, or even a piece of heirloom jewelry borrowed from HM such as the diamond maple leaf brooch seen during trips to Canada or the diamond fern brooch seen during trips Down Under.

She didn't wear black to the RAF 100 event. It was a dark navy blue. There are a couple pics out there (they've been posted here on previous pages) showing with outside lighting/sun you can see the blue.

LaRae

Dior identified the dress as black.
So looks like the DM got it right in the first place.

Not wearing Irish designers is Ireland is mistake, highlighting local brands is IMO one of the role of the Royal ladies when they are on tour. Wearing Irish designers in Ireland is easy points with the media. You need to get some of the easy point as well as nail the hard stuff.

[...] Where she once showed care and thoughtfulness has completely been replaced by thoughtless disregard.

She needs to do better because the cost of clothing and the lack of local or commonwealth designers is legitimate criticism that's hard to defend against.

Could you explain where this comes from? It's an honest question. When did what designer labels a royal woman wears become a 'responsibility'? :huh: Enough so that a royal lady can be said to have a 'thoughtless disregard' for what I assume you are saying is a responsibly. I am puzzled.

I find her strategy with clothes after getting married to be all over the place and it's becoming frustrating.

She was much better pre-wedding. She wore a good mix of high street brands with more expensive brands, a good mix of British, Common wealth and local brands.

Since getting married it's been very very bad. This has nothing to do with her style but the choices. She's been married almost two months but primarily wore French couture labels and American in that period. I usually don't mind her wearing black, but wearing full black at an event celebrating RAF 100 just made her stand out in a really bad way compared to the rest of the family. Not wearing Irish designers is Ireland is mistake, highlighting local brands is IMO one of the role of the Royal ladies when they are on tour. Wearing Irish designers in Ireland is easy points with the media. You need to get some of the easy point as well as nail the hard stuff.

I am frustrated because she was better at this before so I didn't think we had to worry but instead of keeping steady on that course she has veered completely off. Where she once showed care and thoughtfulness has completely been replaced by thoughtless disregard.

She needs to do better because the cost of clothing and the lack of local or commonwealth designers is legitimate criticism that's hard to defend against.

Agree 100%

Dior identified the dress as black.
So looks like the DM got it right in the first place.

Where did Dior do this? It's not black in the sunlight..you can see the blue.

LaRae

She didn't wear black to the RAF 100 event. It was a dark navy blue. There are a couple pics out there (they've been posted here on previous pages) showing with outside lighting/sun you can see the blue.

LaRae

It was black. Dior describes this dress as black in their press release

Meghan has been married all of two months (if that) can we cut her some slack? It's a lot to take on for someone who is not used to the positives and negatives of royalty.

I get the need to promote British (including Commonwealth) designers, the need to mix the pricey with the less expensive pieces, the amount of attention placed on her wardrobe, etc. but its gonna take time for her to get her even keel. Does anyone but me remember the early days of Diana and Catherine? Meghan is in even a more difficult position because she wasn't born British. She is going thru the same thing that Mary and Maxima experienced...people were complaining that they weren't wearing enough Danish and Dutch clothes when they first married. That they bought too much designer clothes.

We shouldn't expect her to get it right immediately after her wedding.

I think the pieces that she has worn the last couple of days have been nice and classic. IMO stating that she is dressing like she is still in Hollywood is very misleading. As someone has already stated, her pre marriage attire is TOTALLY different from what she is wearing now. She definitely was a little more adventurous pre Harry.

And let's not get on the no one can say anything bad about Meghan record. There has been plenty negative and constructive criticism regarding her wardrobe...I just think folks want her to be given a chance to get it right.

I have been around TRF for a bit, and I seem to recall the same conversations regarding Kate, Maxima, Mary, Letizia, etc. Not trying to start any comparison discussions but the same positive and negative complaints have been said about Kate, Mary, Maxima, Letizia and even Diana in regards to their fashion.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

I get the need to promote British (including Commonwealth) designers, the need to mix the pricey with the less expensive pieces, the amount of attention placed on her wardrobe, etc. but its gonna take time for her to get her even keel. Does anyone but me remember the early days of Diana and Catherine? Meghan is in even a more difficult position because she wasn't born British. She is going thru the same thing that Mary and Maxima experienced...people were complaining that they weren't wearing enough Danish and Dutch clothes when they first married. That they bought too much designer clothes.

Could you explain where this comes from? It's an honest question. When did what designer labels a royal woman wears become a 'responsibility'? :huh: Enough so that a royal lady can be said to have a 'thoughtless disregard' for what I assume people are saying is a responsibly. When did this start to be an issue?

Meghan has been married all of two months (if that) can we cut her some slack? It's a lot to take on for someone who is not used to the positives and negatives of royalty.

We shouldn't expect her to get it right immediately after her wedding.

I think the pieces that she has worn the last couple of days have been nice and classic. IMO stating that she is dressing like she is still in Hollywood is very misleading. As someone has already stated, her pre marriage attire is TOTALLY different from what she is wearing now. She definitely was a little more adventurous pre Harry.

And let's not get on the no one can say anything bad about Meghan record. There has been plenty negative and constructive criticism regarding her wardrobe...I just think folks want her to be given a chance to get it right.

I have been around TRF for a bit, and I seem to recall the same conversations regarding Kate, Maxima, Mary, Letizia, etc. Not trying to start any comparison discussions but the same positive and negative complaints have been said about Kate, Mary, Maxima, Letizia and even Diana in regards to their fashion.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Tbank you!!!! You are not alone! As a matter of fact, CP Mary was accused of only wearing Prada in her early years!

It was black. Dior describes this dress as black in their press release
I know they said it was black but there was a clear picture where it was navy/blueish. I'm confused why they say its black.

Then something is wrong with my eyesight...because it clearly was navy to me!:lol::

It looked navy to me as well. Considering how well that matched her Stephen Jones hat and that was an obvious navy against her hair.

:previous: Exactly, there is nothing wrong with a black suit...maybe it would have been viewed better if she wore a skirt instead of pants?

Then something is wrong with my eyesight...because it clearly was navy to me!:lol::

I know they said it was black but there was a clear picture where it was navy/blueish. I'm confused why they say its black.

It looked navy to me as well. Considering how well that matched her Stephen Jones hat and that was an obvious navy against her hair.

I agree, the hat definitely looked navy against her hair and the dress had a navy/dark blue cast to it as well.

Why? Is it just because you think she should have worn a dress or skirt? Or is there a different problem with this particular outfit for this particular place? I've seen a few complaints about the fact that Harry didn't have on a tie when they visited this memorial so I'm assuming that people think they didn't look appropriately serious, professional, or concerned/sad?

:previous: Exactly, there is nothing wrong with a black suit...maybe it would have been viewed better if she wore a skirt instead of pants?

I honestly don't think so. She had to have an outfit that's versatile enough for all the locations. It had to be light enough for a sport complex with children, and it had to be somber enough for the famine memorial. And to me, that was the right balance with the simple pants and then a little bit of a play on design on the jacket and t-shirt underneath.

Then something is wrong with my eyesight...because it clearly was navy to me![emoji38]:
No! There was something wrong with Dior's media release. The garment that was the basis for the BESPOKE navy dress was black. [emoji33]

Excellent points Jacqui24!

That's what I thought as well but I was curious why Spheno thought otherwise that's why I asked if a skirt would have made the difference.

There's a lot to think about when you doing royal engagements back to back.

Excellent points Jacqui24!

That's what I thought as well but I was curious why Spheno thought otherwise that's why I asked if a skirt would have made the difference.

There's a lot to think about when you doing royal engagements back to back.

Yea. I know a lot of people will probably feel that she didn't give it enough thought by wearing black, but I actually thought that was a very well-thought out outfit given how many and the spectrum of events they attended that day. I personally don't think it would've been very appropriate for her to wear anything other than muted colors or even the RM dress from the morning to the famine memorial. That would offend me (and I'm not even Irish).

And that's another thing. I feel like a lot of times criticism of the outfit comes in without consideration of the events as well. It seems that there is a disconnect between the two and there shouldn't be.

Last edited:
Can we talk about her shoes really quick?

I don't know how she can stand on those heels all day...of course...its not like she is working a retail job in them or anything like that.

I used to wears heels all the time, now I dread them!

I thought she threaded the needle very carefully on this one. The black suit had to cover a lot of different ground, from active and more casual, to very solemn and serious. I can't think of anything else she could have worn that would have been more appropriate, considering that she wasn't in control of the schedule and sequence of events and there was clearly no opportunity to change.

What I actually found a bit more odd and unfortunate (also not in her control) was the juxtaposition of the visit to the Famine memorial and lunch, which seemed....strange, and at best ironic.

Can we talk about her shoes really quick?

I don't know how she can stand on those heels all day...of course...its not like she is working a retail job in them or anything like that.

I used to wears heels all the time, now I dread them!

Someone from the walkabout said they complimented her on being able to navigate the cobblestone streets in Dublin in stilettos. She laughed and said she tries.

I used to be able to wear stilettos to my retail job where I was required to stand about 8 hours a shift when I was younger (the stilettos are for me, they aren't a requirement). But now? Nah, I'll wear them when I'm in the office, but if I know I will be doing some walking around to different buildings, I'm changing to wedges. But man, nothing ever beats those beauties in looks department for me.

Last edited:
I love a good wedge!

I have worked retail as well...and it does a number on your feet. That's for sure.

Yes, I met someone who told me her sister/cousin used to wear stiletto's for a long period of time for years...eventually it affected her back. She can no longer wear them.

It will be interesting to see if Meghan's views on stiletto's changes as well as she becomes more active with her engagements. They are beautiful shoes though.

To me her heels stand out (again): as most of the time, she isn't standing up straight; her ankles/shoes are turned to the outside (from the front that's is normally most visible on her left foot).

She’s standing on uneven cobblestones. If she has a structural problem with her feet and ankles—which I doubt—-then good on her for being brave and strong enough to continue wearing the fabulous shoes she wears. Even professional models are occasionally awkward in their stance, and some of them even fall down on the runway.

She seems to have excellent posture regardless of how her feet may appear to some.

All that yoga she does has to help too.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom