The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I don't think she began to amass a "working" wardrobe too much before she married. Now, as Harry's wife and with working for the "Firm", if I'm not mistaken, her "working" wardrobe will be paid for by Charles just as he does for Kate. The Queen does this for all the working members of the Firm with Charles taking on the expenses of his wife and his sons and their spouses.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post
She's had two years to wrap her head around the new wardrobe requirements that were going to need to be met once she was a working royal. Just saying.
Are we talking about the same couple? Their 1st date was July 2016. A bit presumptuous to start building the royal wardrobe at that point, no? I doubt she was contemplating how to pick the perfect fascinator while they were grabbing drinks in Soho House. Let's give the woman a break.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She's had two years to wrap her head around the new wardrobe requirements that were going to need to be met once she was a working royal. Just saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Suitor View Post
Are we talking about the same couple? Their 1st date was July 2016. A bit presumptuous to start building the royal wardrobe at that point, no? I doubt she was contemplating how to pick the perfect fascinator while they were grabbing drinks in Soho House. Let's give the woman a break.
Agree, Royal Suitor. I don't think she's been thinking any more than maybe one month forward (in terms of fashion) even while engaged (except for the wedding dress, of course). Once married, she's likely been trying to develop a routine around fashion choices. I'm sure other royal ladies (like Kate and Sophie, Camilla and Anne) must have given insights on how they manage things.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Your first sentence made me laugh. I think you all give her way too many breaks. So, let's say only one year, still plenty of time to get acquainted with the possibilities. Do you think we should only count from when they got married, that's ludicrous! No, not six weeks, more like sixty weeks to get her head wrapped around this, and it's not rocket science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Agree, Royal Suitor. I don't think she's been thinking any more than maybe one month forward (in terms of fashion) even while engaged (except for the wedding dress, of course). Once married, she's likely been trying to develop a routine around fashion choices. I'm sure other royal ladies (like Kate and Sophie, Camilla and Anne) must have given insights on how they manage things.
Well if that's the case then she's not very good at her new profession. This is a job, it's not pretty princess dress up games. She'd better have been doing her homework more than a month in advance, but I guess that would explain some of her questionable fashion choices. Poor planning if you ask me.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Or she could have more important things to think about. Like what issues she wants to support. While what she wears to events will require more thinking than what rest of us wear to work, I highly doubt that’s what she’s been thinking for the past two years considering she had a demanding job and had a life. While it’s fun to talk about fashion, it’s quite insulting to women by reducing them simply to what they wear and assume that’s all they are thinking about.

There is nothing wrong with her clothes.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Your first sentence made me laugh. I think you all give her way too many breaks. So, let's say only one year, still plenty of time to get acquainted with the possibilities. Do you think we should only count from when they got married, that's ludicrous! No, not six weeks, more like sixty weeks to get her head wrapped around this, and it's not rocket science.
Meghan had a full time job during this time. You credit her with having a lot of time to be thinking about such things when in fact she was an actress doing a show which meant learning scripts and doing fittings and all the rest of it, like PR for the show.

Methinks you are assuming that marriage was a done deal from very early on? That's a stretch, I think. It may have been for Harry. We are given to understand that he was a (charmingly) focussed suitor, but I don't think Meghan would have necessarily been convinced marriage was a definite outcome. Totally my speculation of course. She could have seen things playing out as long term lovers, maybe even living together, but marriage?

Even with a year in and marriage the goal between the two of them, still Meghan would have had her hands full with a major move to another country alongside financial details and winding down an acting career. I just don't see fashion choices being high on that priority list for her. JMO.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:49 PM
Heir Apparent

And what's even more funny is if she had been planning her royal wardrobe for 2yrs people would say she was working to ensnare Harry. Not to mention the other royal women who have needed to build up their wardrobe AFTER their marriage.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Or she could have more important things to think about. Like what issues she wants to support. While what she wears to events will require more thinking than what rest of us wear to work, I highly doubt that’s what she’s been thinking for the past two years considering she had a demanding job and had a life. While it’s fun to talk about fashion, it’s quite insulting to women by reducing them simply to what they wear and assume that’s all they are thinking about.

There is nothing wrong with her clothes.
Especially agree with the bolded, and underlined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
And what's even more funny is if she had been planning her royal wardrobe for 2yrs people would say she was working to ensnare Harry. Not to mention the other royal women who have needed to build up their wardrobe AFTER their marriage.
Exactly. After the marriage is normal and makes the most sense. Once one is actually in the life, and experiencing the outings, that's when one learns.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:16 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:

Well if that's the case then she's not very good at her new profession. This is a job, it's not pretty princess dress up games. She'd better have been doing her homework more than a month in advance, but I guess that would explain some of her questionable fashion choices. Poor planning if you ask me.
Glad we can all close out the weekend with a laugh. I'll second Lady Nimue in saying that her full-time profession until November 2017 was as an actress on a different continent. So no I don't think she was stepping out between takes on Suits to be fitted for her royal wardrobe. Nor do I think that's what she should've been prioritizing. With all the media coverage, it may seem like these two have been together forever but that's really not the case. Much of her engagement wardrobe were primarily things she already owned (though I do think there was a pre-announcement shopping spree) or things she bought on the fly. Jason Wu said Meghan called him up and asked him to send her the Royal Foundation forum dress a few weeks in advance. Hiut denim only realized afterwards that they'd received an online order from KP. I give Meghan credit for being willing to learn while doing the work, so for me a bit of grace is warranted.

You're right fashion isn't rocket science. It would be easier if it were. Rocket science is objective and analytical with a clear right answer. Fashion is subjective and very much in the eye of the beholder. I think she's doing fine. I know this is the fashion thread but let's not kid ourselves. The bulk of this thread treats Meghan like Princess Barbie so we can all play "pretty princess dress up games." It's fun and entertaining and one aspect of royal life. But when you say "this is a job," I'll be very disappointed if fashion is the key focus of her job. That's an incredibly low bar to set.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Glad we can all close out the weekend with a laugh. I'll second Lady Nimue in saying that her full-time profession until November 2017 was as an actress on a different continent. So no I don't think she was stepping out between takes on Suits to be fitted for her royal wardrobe. Nor do I think that's what she should've been prioritizing. With all the media coverage, it may seem like these two have been together forever but that's really not the case. Much of her engagement wardrobe were primarily things she already owned (though I do think there was a pre-announcement shopping spree) or things she bought on the fly. Jason Wu said Meghan called him up and asked him to send her the Royal Foundation forum dress a few weeks in advance. Hiut denim only realized afterwards that they'd received an online order from KP. I give Meghan credit for being willing to learn while doing the work, so for me a bit of grace is warranted.
Well said!

Quote:
You're right fashion isn't rocket science. It would be easier if it were. Rocket science is objective and analytical with a clear right answer. Fashion is subjective and very much in the eye of the beholder. I think she's doing fine. I know this is the fashion thread but let's not kid ourselves. The bulk of this thread treats Meghan like Princess Barbie so we can all play "pretty princess dress up games." It's fun and entertaining and one aspect of royal life. But when you say "this is a job," I'll be very disappointed if fashion is the key focus of her job. That's an incredibly low bar to set.
The last bolded and underlined says it. I don't think Meghan is aiming to be a fashion plate.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:42 AM
Courtier

Wow, calm down all of you. It was stated that, as it was only six weeks in we should give her a break. Well, it's not been only six weeks, she's had many, many months of lead up to this. I love how you all fixate on one tiny comment and forget the entire rest of the post, I think they call it diversion tactics? That is all, carry on.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
That's your opinion. This is a fashion thread, if you don't like commenting on a woman's fashion choices this probably isn't the thread for you.
I like fashion as much as the next person, but I’m far from reducing a woman to just her clothes. Nor do I think that’s all there is or most important in royal duties. Nor do I go about saying a woman needs to think about her royal wardrobe a year or two before she’s married as I realize she’s had more important things to deal with during that time. And I can decide which thread is for me.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:38 AM
Heir Apparent

(..)

To bring this back to Meghan, I would like to say she has dressed better post marriage than she did during the engagement ; with the only exception being the Spencer wedding.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:05 AM
Administrator

Once again a couple of posts have been removed. As we don't know anything about the Duchess of Sussex's fashion plans and preparations, we can leave these speculations behind, move on and concentrate on the current fashion choices again!
Old 07-09-2018, 06:04 AM
Majesty

I think Meghan is doing amazingly well when you consider the stress she has been under ever since her Dad decided to jerk her around the week before the wedding. I am not surprised if her wedding dress wasn't as snug as it was a week before.

That also applies to any clothes she purchased ahead of time for these engagements. I have nevertheless liked or loved every ensemble she has worn since the wedding. I really liked the sheath dress with the cape because it had an unexpected twist, just as the pale blush hats that would normally have had half a garden under the brim were instead pared down structural works of art.

These are things she had to wing because she is trying to find her own personal style in a whole new field of operation. It's neither celebrity casual nor ordinary daywear. It's things like the ANZAC Service, The Commonwealth Service, TOC, Royal Ascot and receptions that aren't designed for formal or cocktail wear that can be a trap for a new player.

All these call for a specific type of dress code that Meghan would have never encountered before let alone have a wardrobe full of. Her yellow sheath was perfect the other day. She looked great and her smile was amazing.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:44 AM
Courtier

(..)

So far I don't see any major problem from her outfits (......except that mess in Spencer wedding), of course they are not totally perfect and I can't say I love them all but as a newcomer she is doing good enough. Most of the ladies just fit into their royal role gradually.

And yeah this is a fashion thread.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Wow, calm down all of you. It was stated that, as it was only six weeks in we should give her a break. Well, it's not been only six weeks, she's had many, many months of lead up to this. I love how you all fixate on one tiny comment and forget the entire rest of the post, I think they call it diversion tactics? That is all, carry on.
To get down to brass tacks, she's only "officially" worked for the "Firm" since her marriage to Harry and hence, I would think her "Firm" clothing allowance did not start until then. Up until May 19th, Meghan was dressing Meghan Markle. After May 19th, she was dressing The Duchess of Sussex.

This plays a big part in all of this. Who is buying the clothes. We don't exactly know when Charles steps in to cover the working wardrobe but we do know that he covers the costs of clothing for "work". A lot of things happened once she became engaged. She got a RPO. She now has access to staff at KP. Her working wardrobe most likely is tallied, inventoried and the bill sent to Charles. Ever wonder how KP has the details to embargo with the press on the outfits that she's wearing? Ever wonder how these royal ladies know what color to wear to compliment what the Queen is wearing? Ever wonder just how the loan of jewelry for a specific outfit happens? Meghan doesn't rummage through a closet the morning of an engagement deciding what to wear. Its all planned well in advance. Its not Meghan solely shopping for her duchess clothes.

Meghan most assuredly did not have to do this kind of planning with her wardrobe before the engagement happened. Then, it was a lot of set costuming people that dressed her for Suits and she had her own choices for her private time.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:09 PM
Heir Apparent

https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/sta...50903140569089

This is the clearest I've seen of Meghan's outfit today. Lovely color on her. Love the dress, especially the sleeves. One thing that kind of bugged me is the curve on the hat (in other pictures).
Old 07-09-2018, 12:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

More foreign brands for the Duchess at the christening today!
Old 07-09-2018, 12:11 PM
Serene Highness

Love this look for her! Very stylish and modern, but still timeless. Great fit too. Can’t wait to see more pics to judge better

Closed Thread