The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 2: July 2018 - August 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The color is drab & the overall look is too matchy for my tastes. Like the hat.

i am not fan of the upper part of the dress but all in all the Duchess looks great wonderful color and lovely hat

This is the clearest I've seen of Meghan's outfit today. Lovely color on her. Love the dress, especially the sleeves. One thing that kind of bugged me is the curve on the hat (in other pictures).

We can all relate to Camilla's gesture! :shock: Stuffy and hot is the worst thing! ;)

Super-chic, and VERY 'early thirties' [especially the Hat...]

'Early thirties' likely because of how slim Meghan is and she is wearing a pencil-skirt type dress? I see what you mean. Very Coco Chanel. :flowers:

She looks amazing. From the hat down to the shoes. I didn’t expect to love the olive green, but it definitely works on Meghan. That hat is to die for.

Loving the new style of hats coming into vogue among the royal ladies. ❤️

There'll always be something. :whistling:

The Queen is there = tights, the Queen is absent = no tights. She clearly wears it as a sign of respect to HM, but like most people prefers to go without. There is no protocol around 'tights wearing', certainly not in the summer.

However, in this instance she has worn 'tights' (in US we would say 'nylons', 'tights' are something quite different ;) ). So maybe it's not about the Queen being present? Maybe an event's formality dictates? :flowers:

Another clear photo of the Duchess of Sussex. This time standing up straight and not on steps.
https://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/2018/07/first-look-harry-and-meghan-arrive-for.html

Beautiful pony-tail. She can do lots of clever and interesting things with a pony-tail. :flowers: This looks very elegant.

The picture of the group with the Cambridges is very nice. William is doing a King Carl Gustav of Sweden face. Ha! ;) Charlotte has changed in looks, every inch a Middleton imo. (Carole in my view). Kate looks ecstatic. And the more I see of Harry the more I am so very happy for him, that he has been able to find a wife he loves as well as likes. :flowers:

I really like the outfit today and I didn't mind the Olive Green ,in all I thought the duchess looked very refined.

She did! :flowers: Always am looking forward to her outings, to seeing them both. They are now one of my favorite couples, up there with Mary and Fred and Madeleine and Chris. :flowers:

Last edited:
This low sleek ponytail she is wearing is now one of my favorite looks on her.

Cannot wait to see what tomorrow brings...first day of Ireland!

LaRae

Cannot wait to see what tomorrow brings...first day of Ireland!

LaRae

And the RAF 100th Anniversary.

And the RAF 100th Anniversary.

They've got a busy day tomorrow. I'm hoping for three outfits given that they are attending daytime events in Ireland and then the British Ambassador's reception.

Last edited:
The color seems strange for this time of year but I do like it.

Have to agree, :flowers: But I notice how long it is. Wasn't aware how long her hair is.

Cannot wait to see what tomorrow brings...first day of Ireland! LaRae

Yes, one treat after another! :flowers:

What I think we are also seeing is the purchase of a foundational wardrobe. Many of the outfits she has worn could be tweaked to create a different look easily with a scarf or any number of accessories. She is definitely choosing classic pieces that will wear well over time imo.

P.S. I noticed that all the (royal) men (maybe the others, too, just didn't pay attention there) are wearing blue ties. Looks like there was a memo. I like this. I don't recall that kind of color-coordination among the BRF before. Can anyone say? I know it's the aspect of the Swedish Royal Family I really appreciate. Their family portraits always have a very 'finished' look because of that, I think. Now the BRF also has that look. :flowers:

Last edited:
Have to agree, :flowers: But I notice how long it is. Wasn't aware how long her hair is.

Yes, one treat after another! :flowers:

What I think we are also seeing is the purchase of a foundational wardrobe. Many of the outfits she has worn could be tweaked to create a different look easily with a scarf or any number of accessories. She is definitely choosing classic pieces that will wear well over time imo.

P.S. I noticed that all the (royal) men (maybe the others, too, just didn't pay attention there) are wearing blue ties. Looks like there was a memo. I like this. I don't recall that kind of color-coordination among the BRF before. Can anyone say? I know it's the aspect of the Swedish Royal Family I really appreciate. Their family portraits always have a very 'finished' look because of that, I think. Now the BRF also has that look. :flowers:

I think most of the ladies (those who will be in the pics, except 1 or 2) were wearing varying shades of blue too ..including the kids!

LaRae

I love the entire look. Meghan knows her style and the designers that accentuates her style.

I think most of the ladies (those who will be in the pics, except 1 or 2) were wearing varying shades of blue too ..including the kids! LaRae

Yes, there was the lady in the red flowered dress! :flowers: Wonder how that will look in the group pictures.

Last edited:
I thought she looked great. I am surprised by the color, even though I like it on her, but I think of olive green as being a fall or winter color. It showed a little bit of personality in the sea of creamy pastels.

Yes there was the lady in the red flowered dress! :flowers: Wonder how that will look in the group pictures.

I know..I think that was Lucy Middleton? That's going to drive me crazy seeing that pop of red in a sea of blue! :lol:

LaRae

Meghan looked absolutely gorgeous! Olive on someone else would look really dull but with her skin tone, it really is very complementary. First the bright yellow last week...now the olive. Can't wait for tomorrow.

The color seems strange for this time of year but I do like it.

That's what I thought too. It is often an autumn color. But I really like the style of the dress a lot and it looks good on Meghan.

I love the style of the green dress but not the color.

Simply classy and elegant and I love the color. Then again, I do think that olive green compliments women that have a darker complexion and hair coloring. She put it all together nicely and it looks amazing on her. Thumbs up on this outfit.

My feelings exactly.

I loved this whole thing she wore to tthe christening. And I am not usually a fan of matching clutch/shoes/dress/hat and gloves. But as usual with the DOS, the outfit does not grab all the attention but the cut of clothes and overall styling is awesome. The hat with the dress is just so good.

Chic. Elegegant. Looking almost effortless, even when we know it's not.

Sbe brought her A game when accessorizing this outfit. Splendid color on her. I love me some green.
She looks amazing. From the hat down to the shoes. I didn’t expect to love the olive green, but it definitely works on Meghan. That hat is to die for.
She looks stunning wearing olive green and the style of this bespoke Ralph Laren is very "Megan". On her, the colour is not an autumn or winter colour. She glows and I adore her chic Stephen Jones hat is a delight.

Therein lies the differentiation between her Stepersonal wardrobe and her working wardrobe. For family events and such she wears whatever she chooses to while if its an "official" outfit for an "official" engagement, she'll be in her working wardrobe. It also differentiates who is paying for the outfit also, I believe.
Given time, unless she has another source of income, all her clothes just like Harry's will be paid out of their stipend which covers all of their expenses.

I loved her outfit. Her skin glowed in that dress. It's good that the hat was created by a British designer. Stephen Jones makes wonderful hats.

But I do agree she needs to wear more UK designers.
I think Ralph Lauren caught her eye for how stylistically it appeals to her and for the work of his Polo Ralph Lauren Foundation and her accessories, bar her Manolo Blahnik shoes, could be from UK designers. Not that it really matters.

She looked stunning, as did Kate. Very elegant and fashionable.

BTW, I notice the uproar over whether or not she's wearing tights each time is gone. :lol:

The end of this video is about as close as we will get to see of it.

Actually, here's another very clear close-up video of all of the guests arriving. We can get a good view of Meghan's pulled-back ponytail throughout the end portion of the video, and especially at the very end after she greets the clergy and she and Harry turn to go into the church. Her hair is pulled back into a low ponytail with her hair straight and long down her back. Just before Harry and Meghan enter the church, Archbishop Welby says something that causes Meghan to laugh:

And here's a fashion tips video breaking down Meghan's style. It mentions her head-to-toe monochrome preference, which we see a perfect example of today with the olive green bespoke dress with matching hat, shoes, clutch and gloves. The commentator mentions she couldn't find examples of Meghan wearing prints, but Meghan has worn a number of prints pre-Harry, even though it's true she doesn't wear many. She's worn a color block outfit, as well as geometric and flower prints. She even wore a tie-dye evening gown to an Entertainment Weekly Screen Actor's Guild pre-event party circa 2013: https://hellogiggles.com/fashion/meghan-markle-tie-dye-blue-red-dress/

Last edited:
I'm plumping for Ralph Lauren to move to England. LOL as if. But he and she are a match.

I understand the tug for Meghan to wear UK designers, but fashion is such a hash up geographically.

It's rare for things to be designed, made (fabric woven through sewing, not to mention findings), marketed and sold in a single country. No matter the designer's country, lots of countries inevetibly get a cut of the pie. And then a lot also depends on how the designer has set up their corporation (one country or many countries).

I looked and RL calls itself a global company. But it also says a lot about it's American design aesthetic. I don't find this dress very American, aesthetically. It's classic, slightly retro. I like it a lot on Meghan.

Meghan looks beautiful. The dress was simple but classic, what today called for. Olive doesn't look great on everyone, but looked wonderful on her :flowers:

I love her hair and the fantastic hat. ?

Of course everyone focusses on the dress and not the other designers. I love she didn't go the usual 'Philip Treacy' route. Instead of focusing on Lauren, how about noticing the talented British hat designer she chose???

I know..I think that was Lucy Middleton? That's going to drive me crazy seeing that pop of red in a sea of blue! :lol: LaRae

She seemed such a jolly sort, not at all stuffy as she entered with James Middleton (who had the necessary reserve in front of the cameras, in contrast). Not that she was playing to the camera, she seemed oblivious of the cameras. :flowers:

Actually they will be shuffling a few colors, or at least two: Lucy Middleton's red flowered dress (a very nicely fitted dress) and Meghan's olive green dress. Maybe the groupings will be such that it can all be worked around. I did notice that there was a lovely tall and lean woman in a sort of pale pink or peach, that dress would be okay next to the red dress, and Kate's white dress could be 'bridge' between them and the wash of blues. Trying to think like the photographer, though he has more than just color to consider, he's got heights and the overall geometry of the bodies, plus the placement by importance (center of interest). ;)

She seemed such a jolly sort, not at all stuffy as she entered with James Middleton (who had the necessary reserve in front of the cameras, in contrast). Not that she was playing to the camera, she seemed oblivious of the cameras. :flowers:

Actually they will be shuffling a few colors, or at least two: Lucy Middleton's red flowered dress (a very nicely fitted dress) and Meghan's olive green dress. Maybe the groupings will be such that it can all be worked around. I did notice that there was a lovely tall and lean woman in a sort of

pale pink or peach, that dress would be okay next to the red dress, and Kate's white dress could be 'bridge' between them and the wash of blues. Trying to think like the photographer, though he has more than just color to consider, he's got heights and the overall geometry of the bodies, plus the placement by importance (center of interest). ;)

I don't think Meghan/Harry will be in the pics...I thought only the godparents were in the pics?

LaRae

Lucy Middleton was in light blue...all the Middleton women were. The woman in the red flowered dress was Laura Meade.

Last edited:
I don't think Meghan/Harry will be in the pics...I thought only the godparents were in the pics? LaRae

Oh, okay. :flowers: I don't really understand the picture situation amongst royals for christenings. ;)

P.S. Thank you, Everyone, for clarification regarding the identity of the 'lady in red'. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom