The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 02:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Btw, just to point out for those that are so upset about the Duchess not promoting UK business, Alexander McQueen is owned by Kering, which is very French the last time I checked. So it definitely doesn’t seem like it’s been a problem for members of royal family to wear something by a French company if the designer is British before.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

If I may change the subject. I wonder if Catherine the Dss of Cambridge while on maternity leave, if her stylist is assisting Meghan??
(Please forgive my very poor grammar.)

Old 07-07-2018, 07:50 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Suitor View Post
I appreciate a good joke as much as the next person but this joke and critique feels like a real reach. Guess we should count ourselves lucky she didn't wear the navy pumps after all.

Haha, so succinctly put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
S

For goodness sake, you all need to lighten up in this thread.

Please take your own advice.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Btw, just to point out for those that are so upset about the Duchess not promoting UK business, Alexander McQueen is owned by Kering, which is very French the last time I checked. So it definitely doesnít seem like itís been a problem for members of royal family to wear something by a French company if the designer is British before.
Alexandra McQuuen was founded by a Bit, it is synonymous with British fashion. Just because it was sold doesnít mean itís become French.

The history, the people, are still British
Old 07-07-2018, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Alexandra McQuuen was founded by a Bit, it is synonymous with British fashion. Just because it was sold doesn’t mean it’s become French.

The history, the people, are still British
It’s not a British business as everyone has been complaining is not being supported. Turns out all these years, a history of BRF supporting a French business has been established right under people’s noses. Kering is about as French as it gets. Or do we only care about what t “appears” rather than reality? If we going down the path of employees, is CWK not British?

And Alexander McQueen was founded in 1992, hell of a short history there.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Itís not a British business as everyone has been complaining is not being supported. And is CWK not a British person?

And Alexander McQueen was founded in 1992, hell of a short history there.
The label is still based in London. The British fashion industry considers it British.

If Givenchy was sold to a German, no one would all of a sudden say itís German.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The label is still based in London. The British fashion industry considers it British.

If Givenchy was sold to a German, no one would all of a sudden say itís German.
If itís sold to a German, then it would indeed be a German business. When one supports McQueen, itís not supporting a British business. Isnít that what people were upset about? Supporting a British business. Well, thatís not what McQueen is as it turns out.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:24 AM
Majesty

Mcqueen is headquartered in London, It’s Head of design is English, trained at English fashion schools. The workforce is made up of Britons who live and pay taxes in Britain

That sale happened in 2000 and nothing about McQueen changed. In the eyes of fashion writers and magazines, McQueen is quintessentially British. Regardless of what a piece of paper says.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:53 AM
Heir Apparent

A piece of paper? That piece of paper determines where it’s profit goes to, which is Kering, a French listed company. Does Givenchy only employ the French? I’m sure CWK has something to say about that. Does anyone know if McQueen only employ Brits? My understanding of Europe is that there are allowed to work across borders quite easily, which is one of the sticky points in Brexit negotiations. What right and benefits do people like CWK maintain.

Anyways, I think it’s great that Duchess of Sussex is supporting a working mother who is quentissential British and a fantastic designer. So I don’t have a problem when she wear McQueen either. But if we are going to criticize her for not supporting British bus Ness, eh add McQueen to that list for BRF.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

I like that Meghan has opened the narrow view of 'supporting British talent'. Until now that seemed to mean it had to be a British company, even if the designer themselves was not British.

Meghan understands that supporting British talent shouldn't be limited to within borders. British designers don't simply want to make a name for themselves at home, but abroad. And landing a position as head of one of the top high fashion houses in the world is a huge coup for any designer.

If you look at major fashion houses, you will find international designers within. Givenchy hasn't been led by a French designer in years. Since Givenchy retired, it has been led by 4 British designers, and 1 Italian. Galliano (Gibralter-English), McQueen (English), Jullien MacDonald (Welsh), Ricardo Tisci (Italian) and now CWK (English).
Old 07-07-2018, 10:43 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Wickstead, Packham, and McQueen get enough PR from Kate.

Meghan has certainly worn a share of British/commonwealth labelsA

-Hiut: small local Welsh denim company Meghan wore their jeans
-Burberry: she has worn a number of pieces including her plaid coat
-Strathberry: has at least 2 purses from the Scottish brand
-Alexander McQueen: her tuxedo she wore to Endeavor Awards
-Stella McCartney: coat in Wales
-Demellier London: handbag
-Goat: garden party
-Philip Treacy
-Tamara Mellon shoes
-Victoria Beckham- cashmere sweater in NIreland
-Greta Constantine (Canadian)-green skirt in NIreland
-Amanda Wakely- the white coat to the commonwealth service
-All-Saints: London brand, turtleneck
-Jason Wu (Canadian) her belted dress when she appeared with the Cambridges
-Tabitha Simmons boots
-Jigsaw
-Marks and Spencers
-Smythe (Canadian) coat
-Sentaler coat at Christmas (Canada)
-Joseph (first engagement)
-Mackage (Canadian)
-Ralph and Russo
-Line (Canadian) engagement jacket

I may have missed a few. I am sure as her wardrobe expands as she grows into her new role, the list will grow.

Quote:
Charlotte Elizabeth bag, which the designer herself is a beneficiary of The Prince’s Trust. Stella McCartney also designed her second wedding dress. Jimmy Choo has also seen some love. But that's a really good and comprehensive list.
I agree, thank you for taking the time to type it out, Countessmeout. :)

Just adding a few:

- Stephan Jones: beret (Commonwealth Day Service) - OBE - only non-PT headgear haha
- Wilbur and Gussie: clutches (Garden Party & SL's Memorial) - btw, such a darling brand! Been a long time fan and the quality of their work is incredible.
- Stella McCartney: also to the Queen's Birthday Concert
- Shaun Leane: earrings & bracelets (Queen's BC)
- Self Portrait: dresses (pre-Christmas Luncheon & IG reception)
- Mulberry: bag (Commonwealth Day Service)
- Natalie Marie: ring (IG reception) - Australian
- Oroton: bag (CYF) - Australian
- Camilla and Marc: blazer (CYF) - Australian
- Birks: most of her jewellery - Canadian
- Babaton: coat (IG trials), belt (Nottingham & Reprezent Radio) - Canadian
Old 07-07-2018, 11:19 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I forget about this. What a lovely touch from Catherine to include the symbols from the Home Countries

Yes, nice virtue signaling

Anyway, McQueen is undoubtedly British. Yes it is owned by a French company so I see folks point, but as far as I know, it main workshop is still in the UK and it still pulls heavily from the British design schools for talent. Now, McQueen used to pull more heavily from British history for its lines and hasn’t as much since Burton took over. Then again, I’ve long felt Burton’s vision was lacking...

I think with CWK, Meghan just built a relationship and feels comfortable with her. CWK is STILL a British fashion designer even if she is the CD of a French house. I imagine that over the next year, Meghan will continue to build relationships with other British designers from British houses too and CW and American ones.

Although, I am willing to bet some hard cash that if Meghan started wearing more Beckham, she would be accused of being too celebrity by some
Old 07-07-2018, 05:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I also like how Meghan has broadened the definition of supporting British talent. I think it took courage to choose a French house led by a British women as her wedding dress; but it gave me the impression that BRF didn't think it was that big of a deal. But I wouldn't put it passed the media to turn on her for her fashion choices, look at how they try to cause furor with how she sits.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:37 PM
Heir Apparent

She looks fine. She is pushed to looked like a stuffy doll on many occasions. I am sure she would be happy to wear what she has in the past and has been comfortable in. She is very attractive, as is Kate, what they wear looks good because they look good. Sophie is a nice dresser and doesn't seem to tread the fine line of all the critics, She is, of course, out of the limelight. Kate and Meghan are the focus.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
She probably will but it has been barely 2 months. I could get this argument with a larger sample size. Can she hit 6 months? I am sure we will be seeing her in plenty of UK designers as well as continuing foreign designers just like the rest of the royals. And I am sure people will find issue with who she picks in those regards too.
This.

Just think about the logistics alone. From November through May she couldnít have any whiff of communication with a British designer without it turning into overheated wedding dress speculation. I think right now weíre seeing the clothes she chose then to be ready for her first round of engagements. The clothes she wore during the engagement were more likely from a pre-engagement-announcement shopping spree, when she could still reach out to London or Toronto sources with little worry of causing a brouhaha. Since the wedding, Iíd guess the shopping focus has been the upcoming toursóso clothes we havenít seen yet.

If nine months or a year from now the percentage of Commonwealth/British labels is the same as weíve seen since the wedding, thatíll be an issue. But I think we need to give her a little time to establish a more regular procurement process.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Mcqueen is headquartered in London, Itís Head of design is English, trained at English fashion schools. The workforce is made up of Britons who live and pay taxes in Britain

That sale happened in 2000 and nothing about McQueen changed. In the eyes of fashion writers and magazines, McQueen is quintessentially British. Regardless of what a piece of paper says.
Sorry Rudolph, if a mouse is living in a biscuit box it does not make it a biscuit! The whole notion of "Buying British" is about revenue and that particular hefty dose of cream went straight to France!

Actually, I think it is an excellent idea to educate us about the finance behind the fashion. People can be blithely 'buying British' in error as is the case with McQueen. Just for slaps and giggles, I wonder how much foreign money is involved in all of the major "Fashion" houses in the UK? Is there any way of finding out?

Take Ralph and Russo, unless it is a listed company, it is an Australian brand unless the founders have applied for UK citizenship or are no longer the majority shareholders.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
She probably will but it has been barely 2 months. I could get this argument with a larger sample size. Can she hit 6 months? I am sure we will be seeing her in plenty of UK designers as well as continuing foreign designers just like the rest of the royals. And I am sure people will find issue with who she picks in those regards too.
Exactly.

I think these percentage charts after Meghan has been a royal only 6 weeks are really premature and unfair. It would be nice, if she was actually given a year to build up her resume fashion and otherwise, before making these charts.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think the only miss for me since the wedding was the private wedding with that de La Renta dress. The rest have been pretty well done to fabulous.

It's gonna take her a bit to get her wardrobe up to speed. Can't wait to see the trip to Ireland and then the Tour in fall.

LaRae
Old 07-08-2018, 06:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

I love the yellow dress. Very beautiful and elegant. She looked great.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
Exactly.

I think these percentage charts after Meghan has been a royal only 6 weeks are really premature and unfair. It would be nice, if she was actually given a year to build up her resume fashion and otherwise, before making these charts.
She's had two years to wrap her head around the new wardrobe requirements that were going to need to be met once she was a working royal. Just saying.

Closed Thread