The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 1: May 2018 - June 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry. Not even seeing the dress in motion makes it look any better for me. You know I love Meghan but this dress has me wondering if her mirror was broken and why did Harry let his wife leave the house in the most unflattering outfit I have ever seen her wear!

Reactions: Fem
The fabric is very pretty but as others have said the dress wears her. I am not a fan of fascinators but that has to be the worst ever. THAT really needs to be burned. If a real hat is not appropriate then Meghan should probably wear something like Beatrice wore at the Sussex wedding.

Re: Meghan's dress at Celia's wedding. I really like the print and the blue and white color. I agree the top needed to be more fitted. Those cuffs should have fastened tightly at the wrists and not crept over onto Meghan's hands. It does look at least a size too big.

It doesn't look bohemian, it looks dowdy.

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a lovely dress that looks much better in motion than still photos.

However. .Meghan is too petite to make it work. It's the kind of dress that would flow perfectly on a tall leggy woman.

Meghan seems to have a good basic sense, but she is still finding her way in dressing like a young Royal duchess.

Yeah I am not seeing any improvement with it in motion. The best thing about the video is how Harry is just walking along in the beginning and then suddenly realizes he needs to be a little more attentive towards Meghan. That almost makes up for the awful dress and fascinator. Almost. :lol:

Things I like about it: the cut and flow of the dress and I enjoy the print. And she and Harry are matching, so there is that.

But the fit is atrocious. The cuffs and sleeves look like they would fit me (imagine my workdog Newfoundland to Meghan's sleek Italian greyhound) rather than her.

I can only imagine what it's like to have never HAD to wear hats and to transition one's style to wearing them. To be fair it's common on the Forums for a fair number of us to fault the headgear of choice, especially at rural weddings. I'd like to see it from the other side, frankly. I think hats often look great on head forms and models only to look silly on another wearer. IMO, you need a good friend with great local taste to tell you what works and what does not.

I almost wonder if she had planned to wear something else garden-is, found out it was going to be a cool day and decided to borrow something long-sleeved and floral from a friend (who had questionable taste in fascinators). ;)

It´s still not good in motion. This is the type of dress that literally needs more body to make it work. Somebody like Jennifer Lopez would wear the sh.t out of this dress, but Meghan is no JLo and this dress is simply not for her.

Actually this dress is completely Meghan's style. The print itself is bold. It's ill fitted, she favors larger more "relaxed" clothing on her frame. The dress she wore to the wedding in Jamaica was similar in fit and also a bold pattern.

Meghan's more popular stylings seem to occur when she's actually styled for an event. When it's just herself (I'm guessing), she doesn't seem to like getting her clothing tailored.

Personally I quite like this dress, and if it fit better it would have been a smash. Unfortunately it's way too big and looks as though it's wearing her, rather than Meghan wearing it.
There's always one

The fabric is very pretty but as others have said the dress wears her. I am not a fan of fascinators but that has to be the worst ever. THAT really needs to be burned. If a real hat is not appropriate then Meghan should probably wear something like Beatrice wore at the Sussex wedding.

Do you have any idea who the designer is?
I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

You're right though; that fascinator is just shapeless and should be discarded.

Do you have any idea who the designer is?

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

You're right though; that fascinator is just shapeless and should be discarded.

Oscar de la Renta

I think it's funny that people wonder how Harry could let her go out the house looking like this; its usually the other way around with husbands and wives. I seriously wonder if this was a dare for Meghan.

This looks like my mother's old toile drapes made into a shower robe that can fit 3 people. What was she thinking??

I have liked her other relaxed fit choices. I love her “bathrobe” coats. This, though...total miss. It’s just too much going on all at once, even before you throw that floof of a fascinator on top.

The most basic problem is that the waist hits her at the wrong spot. But even fixing that probably wouldn’t have helped. It’s a frumpy style to begin with in a print that is better left to cushions and china.

She gets a huge discount. In return the designer gets publicity. They also take clothes out on loan. Worn and then returned.

She gets a huge discount. In return the designer gets publicity. They also take clothes out on loan. Worn and then returned.

Your evidence for this wild [and FALSE] assertion is what, EXACTLY ?

Last edited:
I think I know what happened. Meghan took delivery of the dress, without trying it on. That morning, in the hotel where they were staying, she realizes that they have sent her someone else’s identical dress, but size 12.

Meanwhile, in Bonn, Angela Merkel realizes that her identical dress is size 2, not 12. I await the pictures from Der Bild.

Incorrect. Royals never loan clothing. Everything is bought fair and square, as it should.

Be careful about the ‘freebie’ thing. Emily Andrews made a comment about Catherine receiving freebies and KP was all over it. KP got their lawyers involved and she had to delete the tweet

Just to be clear though - this was a private event.

Her clothing was paid for/organised by herself / family. She has plenty of disposable wealth in her own right - technically more than Harry and as she was not representing anyone yesterday, the cost & designer of her dress is entirely her private business.

Just to be clear though - this was a private event.

Her clothing was paid for/organised by herself / family. She has plenty of disposable wealth in her own right - technically more than Harry and as she was not representing anyone yesterday, the cost & designer of her dress is entirely her private business.

That is was a private event does not matter. Even for a private event a member of the BRF would not be wearing "gifts" from a designer.

Actually this dress is completely Meghan's style. The print itself is bold. It's ill fitted, she favors larger more "relaxed" clothing on her frame. The dress she wore to the wedding in Jamaica was similar in fit and also a bold pattern.

Meghan's more popular stylings seem to occur when she's actually styled for an event. When it's just herself (I'm guessing), she doesn't seem to like getting her clothing tailored.

Personally I quite like this dress, and if it fit better it would have been a smash. Unfortunately it's way too big and looks as though it's wearing her, rather than Meghan wearing it.

I feel the same way. If it fit her the way it fits the woman modelling it here it would have looked great. I love seeing her trying out a different style of headpiece. I love her others, but I think it is great she is experimenting.

Last edited:

As it has been clarified that members of the British Royal Family neither get fashion as gifts nor get paid for wearing certain pieces, let us please move on. Thank you!

Got a lot of love for our sista, Meghan, but can somebody tell me what in God’s name was she wearing at the wedding yesterday? I know some think of it as chic and with today’s fashion, but I thought she snatched one of The Queen’s table cloths off the Royal Train to wear at this wedding.

Reactions: Fem
I have liked her other relaxed fit choices. I love her “bathrobe” coats. This, though...total miss. It’s just too much going on all at once, even before you throw that floof of a fascinator on top.

The most basic problem is that the waist hits her at the wrong spot. But even fixing that probably wouldn’t have helped. It’s a frumpy style to begin with in a print that is better left to cushions and china.

Yep. I was trying to find something good about the dress to see why Meghan liked it enough to wear it in public but I got nothing. I don't think this dress would look good on anyone. It's just that unflattering.

I havent gone through all of the comments but this is a deliberately oversized item of clothing, especially the sleeves. There is no intention in the deisgn for it to be fitted.
It may be necessary to scroll through to see the dress. It doesnt look great on the model and she looks about 6ft tall.

We all have stuff in our wardrobes which are labelled “what were we thinkinng”
https://assets11.modaoperandi.com/i...-long-sleeve-cocktail-dress.jpg?_v=1528164856

The hat has been indentified as from Marks and Spencer at a cost of £40.

(..) I am actually looking forward to seeing some of her older pieces again - some may need to be altered here and there but otherwise there are some really nice pieces that I hope she'll bring out again if the occasion allows for them. I actually think the Sinthea dress from the 100th episode table read would have looked lovely yesterday - paired with a less tragic head piece and a nice blazer/coat/cardi.

I havent gone through all of the comments but this is a deliberately oversized item of clothing, especially the sleeves. There is no intention in the deisgn for it to be fitted.
It may be necessary to scroll through to see the dress. It doesnt look great on the model and she looks about 6ft tall.

We all have stuff in our wardrobes which are labelled “what were we thinkinng”
https://assets11.modaoperandi.com/i...-long-sleeve-cocktail-dress.jpg?_v=1528164856

I think the red one would've gone over much better, but it needed sleeves added to it since they are at a church. The fitted waist really makes a difference in loose fitting clothing. I'm going to say that Meghan needs to go sit in a corner and think about the decisions she made today and how she's going to make up for it. :lol:

(..) I am actually looking forward to seeing some of her older pieces again - some may need to be altered here and there but otherwise there are some really nice pieces that I hope she'll bring out again if the occasion allows for them. I actually think the Sinthea dress from the 100th episode table read would have looked lovely yesterday - paired with a less tragic head piece and a nice blazer/coat/cardi.

I thought that dress was Club Monaco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom