The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 1: May 2018 - June 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meghan looked lovely. The dress was simple but elegant, lovely pale color. I love the cape to it. It would have been quite boring without it. :flowers:

Yes she needed her hair tied back. It sems to be an epidemic among British brides. How many times have I said the same about Kate??

I agree the dress was stunning and she looked fabulous! I have to find a sewing pattern similar to that dress to make me one.

I have to admit a part of me is glad to see complaints about her hair again.
I remember seeing some of the comments about her garden party look, how she finally looked like a "proper" royal with her "tidy" hair and stockings. :ermm: While I really liked her garden party look, I just thought, I can't wait until we see her in a messy bun again. :lol: I just really dislike the idea that she didn't look like a proper royal before, as if all royal women have to embrace a certain style or look. No messy bun yesterday but I will take satification in the fact that she didn't feel compelled to wear a hat or updo. That tells me that her style choices are still based on what she likes or prefers and I will always champion that above else.

(..) I think the cape helps her figure, adds some width, and the longer hem length is flattering to her legs. The height of the heels seems ridiculous, yes I know she is not the only one, but halving the heel would help the look and be a good step in the right direction, pun intended for the health of women’s feet.
I don’t really care what she does to her hair just stop the hair touching. Other royal women have had to learn, I assume she will in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well lets be honest, other royal women have worn very "controlled" hairstyles until Kate and Meghan came on the scene. Kate has been wearing her hair in a more controlled way at formal events and left it free when she is own her own. Meghan may do the same thing. It will be interesting to see what happens. Admittedly, it would drive me crazy to have my hair flying about. Autumn is the only other young woman with long hair. Zara keeps her hair fairly short as does Sara Chatto. Sarah Ferguson is the only other person who was doing some "appearances" and she could look rather wind blown on occasion.

(..) I think the cape helps her figure, adds some width, and the longer hem length is flattering to her legs. The height of the heels seems ridiculous, yes I know she is not the only one, but halving the heel would help the look and be a good step in the right direction, pun intended for the health of women’s feet.
I don’t really care what she does to her hair just stop the hair touching. Other royal women have had to learn, I assume she will in time.

I didn't care for the styling and structure of the cape-like top. Something seems off about it, the more I look at it. But we may never see her wear this outfit again, and hopefully not this style of boxed-in looking cape top. It wasn't terrible though, as she carries everything off so well. Plus, the cream color, the belt, and the close-fit styling of the rest of the dress were nice. The hemline is fine. I just don't think she needs to go any lower, and she could go slightly higher. I don't care for stiletto heels personally. Since Meghan was not on an outing with Harry who is much taller than her, she might have worn a lower-heeled shoe for this outing with the Queen.
(..)

In regard to Meghan's hair and touching mannerisms, it's likely due to habit based on the fact that Meghan has always had long, thick hair. She's gotten used to touching and pushing back her hair because she has a lot of hair. I agree it can be annoying, but if that's her main personal style-related imperfection, it's truly inconsequential in the scheme of things. ? And why should we be annoyed in any case? There's so much more substance to who Meghan is as a person than her clothes and her hair.

i find the little cap little annoting but overall Meghan loooks lovely,i like the purse and shoes her hair should be tied in this windy weather Imo

Hair aside, (which I do think for her own comfort would have been better in a low ponytail) I do wonder whether by wearing a dress with a nun-like cape covering her shoulders and upper arms, Meghan was having a bit of an in-joke. There were all those comments about flouting some non existent protocol with her Trooping the Colour outfit!

I loved the dress and capelet.
Meghan seemed happy and the Queen is the ultimate mentor!

Meghan's hair was a mess and I think she will review it as such.
Options for control in the wind could be a plait, pony tail, bun or a partial up do.
I think a loose plait would have been lovely.

Short hair could look really smart and stylish for Meghan.

Short hair could look really smart and stylish for Meghan.

A pixie cut! :flowers: Wow, imagine it! I think she may do something quite different with her hair once children come along 'just because' it's easier. But that's me. Not sure she'd ever go the Charlene of Monaco route but it's interesting to consider.

Ugh! Week from hell you guys, lol. I'm so exhausted - way too much travel. I'm so behind on posts here!!

Getting on with it ...

So I loved the dress with capelet before finding out that it was actually a dress (with bateau neckline - YES!! - and short sleeves) with capelet on top! ADORE!

I really am happy to see that Meghan is finding ways to bring her aesthetic forward while still adhering to the confines of royalty. I thought she looked pitch perfect. And actually don't think pulling the hair back would have worked with the capelet. Her hair softened the architectural lines of the capelet. I also don't think a severe updo works for her... I understand why she favors softer updos.

I also agree with others that her hair makes her more approachable. The severe, untouchable, perfectly placed updos just seem... unaccessible. Plus all that gel... I never use gel when my hair is straight. I use styling creams or other things with my heat stylers - and often the only way I can keep my hair from flying all over is to roller set it and then let the curls fall just slightly. It gives you that layered full look of luscious barrel curls but it's not "overly curly". It just long wavy and piece-y tamed curls with fewer flyaways.

But I wouldn't want to set my hair everyday.

I thought the fashion look was carefully constructed for her body type too. (..) the capelet gave her some broadness in the shoulders, while the thin black belt whittled the waist to give her more shape. Love the length of the dress too.

(..)

What I've become more interested in is her clean approach to makeup. She basically wears the same makeup look - I've been experimenting with a quick but sustainable makeup look for myself and hers looks like it would be easy to keep up on a daily basis. Do we have a thread for her beauty looks?

I think beauty/looks would be part of fashion?

LaRae

I think beauty/looks would be part of fashion?

LaRae

I guess - but no one seems to talk about it enough!! :lol: Lately I've become a bit obsessed with Charlotte Tilbury - because I think her approach seems to mirror Meghan's more natural approach. I've been looking at a lot of CL tutorials lately thinking that's a good way to approximate a clean makeup look like Meghan's.

CL has a face palette (complete with eye shadows, bronzer, highlighter and 2 blushes) that are divine - just a bit too light for my complexion in terms of the bronzer. Estee Lauder has a palette offered in light, medium and deep so I got the deep one. It's good but EL's colors are a bit too "frosty". It still works, it's just more frosty in the coloring once you apply it.

But mostly I think Meghan does a neutral base color on her lid, with a brightening color on her brow and inner eye socket area and then she smudges the entire lash line up to her crease in a dark color like black or deep chocolate brown. She finishes her eye with eye liner and mascara. She doesn't seem to wear heavy foundation so her freckles show through and then she just uses a glowy pinky peach blush. She probably uses a highlighter too - whatever she uses is really good because she gets all glow from it and no frostiness.

There was a headline in Yahoo news: "People are criticizing Meghan Markle because her hair blew in the wind - seriously" ?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...cb4ae20/ss_people-are-criticizing-meghan.html

TEXT: "Since getting engaged to Prince Harry in late 2017, she’s received a ton of unfair criticism and scrutiny (messy bun, bare legs, etc…). But the most recent critique may be the most absurd of all. [...] Markle’s hair was photographed blowing in the wind — much to the dismay of certain onlookers. [...] The peanut gallery wasted no time in blaming Markle for leaving her hair down in such conditions. (Cue eye rolls). [...] One commentor said, 'You should have informed Meghan Cheshire is having high winds so she could have tied her hair back,' with another adding, 'Agree. She looks sloppy with her hair loose….' "

There have even been comments about the 'unfortunate wrinkles' on her dress. :huh: There are no words.... but I do think a great deal of the comments are rooted in the fact that what the camera 'sees' becomes the reality more than the RL experience. In RL no one cares about wrinkles or blowing hair. But to think that a royal, or anyone, should so dress that a stray camera lens won't pick up wrinkles - ach! :ermm:

Last edited:
I guess - but no one seems to talk about it enough!! :lol: Lately I've become a bit obsessed with Charlotte Tilbury - because I think her approach seems to mirror Meghan's more natural approach. I've been looking at a lot of CL tutorials lately thinking that's a good way to approximate a clean makeup look like Meghan's.

CL has a face palette (complete with eye shadows, bronzer, highlighter and 2 blushes) that are divine - just a bit too light for my complexion in terms of the bronzer. Estee Lauder has a palette offered in light, medium and deep so I got the deep one. It's good but EL's colors are a bit too "frosty". It still works, it's just more frosty in the coloring once you apply it.

But mostly I think Meghan does a neutral base color on her lid, with a brightening color on her brow and inner eye socket area and then she smudges the entire lash line up to her crease in a dark color like black or deep chocolate brown. She finishes her eye with eye liner and mascara. She doesn't seem to wear heavy foundation so her freckles show through and then she just uses a glowy pinky peach blush. She probably uses a highlighter too - whatever she uses is really good because she gets all glow from it and no frostiness.

She looks lovely when she wears a more natural look...her skin is so good she doesn't need to do much IMO.

LaRae

For the critics dragging Meghan for her hair flying around - unfortunate but not the end of the world. (..)

I loved her look at her engagement, she looked modern, sexy, and respectful. And I hope she never cuts her hair simply because there are so many who think after a certain age a woman needs to cut her hair. I didn't like her last "fake cape" with the jacker draped over her shoulders but I like this semi cape.

I thought some of the criticisms for the wind-blown hair were bizarre. With wind that strong, no matter how Meghan wore her hair there would have been untidy wisps and a muddled look. It's also revealing to me that when the Duchess of Cornwall encountered wind during her visit to Ireland and her hair was similarly blown about there was no criticism of her that I read. I think there are some people who just feel a driving need to be hypercritical of everything Meghan does right now--and I remember something similar with Catherine right after she married, too. That didn't seem to die down until she got pregnant with Charlotte.

I think it has become clear that "protocol" is merely a term used to legitimise any personal criticism of new members of the royal family. It is used to validate someones personal opinion, after all, if it's "protocol" who can argue with it.

There was nothing immodest about Meghan's bateau neckline on her wedding dress. There was nothing inappropriate about Meghan's suit jacket at the TOC. However, both occasions gave the naysayers a hook to hang their prejudice upon.

As to the absurd situation of "Meghan should have read about the weather and winds", I found myself wanting to hit my head on the wall at the sheer, wilful, determination to make that a "Meghan" problem. It is my belief that had she not been with HM she would have whipped out a tie and made herself a "messy bun" if for no other reason than she seems a sensible woman.

As we have seen, there are no protocol problems with strapless dresses (except in church), there is no reason Meghan or any other royal woman cannot cross their legs unless they are wearing a short pencil skirt or some such. As a matter of record, Catherine did for a long time and used a relatively heavy clutch on her lap to maintain her modesty.

Bottom line, if you just plain don't like Meghan or any other royal for that matter, say so and don't try to hide behind an imaginary or false protocol.

Many people who work at regular jobs do check the weather forecast and conditions at a place of work. That is not odd and one of the reasons for a weather forecast being available.
Meghan is on a steep learning curve in her new position and will only get better as each week goes by. It is fine and not harmful, however, to comment on hair and fashion choices in this thread. That is the point. We will all have differing views and politely express them. It makes for interesting discussion.

Many people who work at regular jobs do check the weather forecast and conditions at a place of work. That is not odd and one of the reasons for a weather forecast being available.
Meghan is on a steep learning curve in her new position and will only get better as each week goes by. It is fine and not harmful, however, to comment on hair and fashion choices in this thread. That is the point. We will all have differing views and politely express them. It makes for interesting discussion.

I agree with you. Constructive criticism is one thing. I think what Marg is referencing is certain OTT comments about Meghan's demeanour and behaviour attached to what she is wearing or how she does something. Personally, I loved her relaxed style before, and as a New Yorker, I can appreciate her streamlined royal fashion. Do I like everything she wears? Absolutely not, but I can be constructive in my criticism about her attire and hair without my "bias" being obvious of whether I 'like' or 'dislike' her.

I personally prefer her wearing her hair down as opposed to the atrocious messy bun she loves. At least when she wears her hair down it looks like she made an attempt to do something with it; if the wind does its thing her hair still looks better than the bun thing.

Posts about weight issues, about female members of the royal family crossing their legs and some about the Duchess of Cambridge have been deleted as off-topic. Please stay on topic of this thread and stay respectful towards the people you discuss. The Duchess of Sussex's hairstyles will continue to be of great interest to many readers, that is understandable and fine, but please discuss this topic as civilized as other topics. Women all over the world have different hair textures, that needs to be considered, but this is not the place to get caught up in race discussions over and over again. Thank you for your understanding!

I agree with you. Constructive criticism is one thing. I think what Marg is referencing is certain OTT comments about Meghan's demeanour and behaviour attached to what she is wearing or how she does something. Personally, I loved her relaxed style before, and as a New Yorker, I can appreciate her streamlined royal fashion. Do I like everything she wears? Absolutely not, but I can be constructive in my criticism about her attire and hair without my "bias" being obvious of whether I 'like' or 'dislike' her.
I loved Meghan's style from the moment I saw her. I can't really describe why it is different but I think it is that she rocks a minimalist style at the moment. I love the longer skirts and let's face it she has the legs and shoes to carry it. I really liked her interpretation of formal with both of her blush ensembles.

Her hats were amazing, just as the cut and style of the dress tell the story so too does the style and shape of the hat and there are not many, except Sarah Chatto, that would wear such an unadorned hat, better yet, there are not many that could carry the style with such self-possessed flair.

Don't get me wrong, on a personal level people messing with their hair all the time, wind or not, drives me demented and some of her earlier styles didn't quite do it for me. But there is one thing I really love about her, she has marked the return of "The Handbag" with a handle and they were interesting, fun, useful and it seems a personal preference.

I hate shoulder straps because I have sloping shoulders and they just fall off and when "everyone" witters on about how Meghan broke "protocol" by carrying a handbag I think "have you seen the Queen"? She manages to carry a handbag and shake hands with people while carrying a handbag. After having spent the day with the Queen perhaps Meghan will go back to her handbags and leave the clutch bags for the evening.

Wow... Just wow. Really bad choice; I don't think there's anything good about this look. Looks like she's wearing a table cloth and a white lily pad on her head. Harry looks fantastic.

Ummm . . . lost for words

No...just no. It doesn't look like her style at all. Badly fitted and too big in size. She should stick to the minimilist streamline clothing she prefers. I hope that she never wears this dress again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom