The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 1: May 2018 - June 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like another boring neutral to me, and I don't like that dress at all.
The first thing I thought of was a strait-jacket!

IMHO her hair gives her a more approachable look - I like the way she is very consequent in choosing a classical and demure style which does not upstage the Nr. 1 in the party, but clearly shows that she is a lady of consequence while the hair signals she is still "one of us" and not a highflyer leaving her roots completely. Plus it took Kate quite some time to get used to updos while CP Victoria of Sweden seems to be the only one who could pull of a simple ponytail. I really like the consideration and the lack of vanity Meghans outfiots for her first public appearances show. I feel the queen is delighted by her choices and the way Meghan seems to care for her very elderly granny-in-law. The way both ladies interact explains a lot to me about how the Royal family warmed so fast towards Meghan. They surely know what she is capable of but at the same time she is so willing to learn and be guided while smiling like a beloved child who gets recognition.

It's a bit Meh but she's clearly playing it safe for her debuts on the royal stage. Like Trooping she doesn't want to upstage the lady of the house.
So far so good.

Considering how anyone's hair look like with a wind like that, no one would be hapy about it ;) Not should one be happy about it, because it just looks bad.

I said she is probably fine with it, not that she was happy about her hair blowing. ;)

The more pics I see, the more I love this look...hair included! She looks beautiful.

Interesting that the cape element is so divisive...they are tricky, but for me this is an example of a cape really working well. I love how clean and simple the lines of this dress are, with that adding a great--yet still streamlined--piece of interest.

I thought her hair looked great at the start of the day but not the right choice for that wind.

The queen, who is not one to fake a smile, looks very happy with Meghan at her side, though, and that's what counts the most.

I like the bottom of the dress, but not fond of the cape. It just looks awkward.

Is anyone happy about hair blowing out in the wind? I doubt it's causing her distress either. And with her hair, a bun or updo is not going to work in this unless it's gelled (what woman uses gel in her hair these days?) and hair sprayed to look like a helmet. She has fly aways in her hair. It'll show up.

Me. I’m black - my hair texture is a bit similar to Meghan’s and I use a gel when I pull it back, or when I’m wearing it naturally curly (it helps define the curls and keep them from frizzing). There are all kinds of gels and creams for black hair that can give a sleek look and control the frizzies/flyways without making the hair look like a helmet.

Last edited:
Interesting that the cape element is so divisive...they are tricky, but for me this is an example of a cape really working well. I love how clean and simple the lines of this dress are, with that adding a great--yet still streamlined--piece of interest.

I thought her hair looked great at the start of the day but not the right choice for that wind.

The queen, who is not one to fake a smile, looks very happy with Meghan at her side, though, and that's what counts the most.

I couldn't agree more.

For me the cape was by far the best part of the entire ensemble. The deliberate angularity around her shoulder balances out her figure lovely - giving her the appearance of border shoulders and the black belt is doing the exact opposite to her waist. This was a really carefully designed and very nicely executed look for me. I guess I am just not that hung up on the fabric. She was sitting hours on end. It was bound to wrinkle here and there.

This comes as a welcome surprise to me because I must say, I was a bit let down by Clare's execution of a beautiful design for Meghan's wedding gown. (I couldn't help but feel that it was a gown that showed that Clare was not experienced in how to do wedding gowns as opposed to formal dresses.) However, this one was a big sartorial win for me.

Meghan was not going to wear anything colourful today, not only because of playing it safe but also because the Queen was dressed in bright green to honour the Grenfell victims. Cream was the right choice here, imo.

Last edited:
I like the bottom of the dress, but not fond of the cape. It just looks awkward.

Me. I’m black - my hair texture is a bit similar to Meghan’s and I use a gel when I pull it back, or when I’m wearing it naturally curly (it helps define the curls and keep them from frizzing). There are all kinds of gels and creams for black hair that can give a sleek look and control the frizzies/flyways without making the hair look like a helmet.

Fellow black woman here. The only gel I use is Aloe Vera gel and it works great for a sleek look. ? However, I think it's fair to say that Meghan isn't a woman who prefers a sleek look. She's worn sleek updos before of course but she clearly favors softer, more flowing styles even with updos.

Oh yeah, it’s obvious that she prefers softer updos now. My comment was in response to whether any woman still actually wears gel and to point out that using gel doesn’t mean helmet hair.

I know she’s favoring loose updos at the moment, but I hope we see a bit more variety because I think she looks good in more sleeker updos and ponytails.

Meghan Markle Photos Photos - 2014 Winter TCA Tour - Day 10 - Zimbio

https://static.gofugyourself.com/up...s_TodayShow_GG_082415_51831478-1482350511.jpg

https://static.gofugyourself.com/uploads/2016/12/GettyImages-182952521_master-1482350790.jpg

https://static.gofugyourself.com/uploads/2016/12/GettyImages-146228034_master-1482350644.jpg

https://static.gofugyourself.com/uploads/2016/12/GettyImages-468875975_master-1482350998.jpg

https://www.popsugar.com/fashion/ph...43632521/Meghan-Markle-Wearing-J-Crew-Airport

My favorite sleek hair style was the one when she gave the UN speech. It was lovely.

Last edited:
I like the dress well enough--it's beautifully cut, the color is subtle and flattering, the accessories are great--but I think the cape is a bit much. Perhaps if the cape were just an inch or two shorter? As it is, it looks as though it's strangling her arms. I like her hair, although it did get messy, but with gusts of 60mph, I'm not sure a ponytail or updo could have withstood the wind, either.

If she does end up getting criticized, it might be if she prioritizes wearing a lot of Givenchy as opposed to British brands. Like all the BR ladies, the perception seems to be that part of her job is representing home grown labels, and it mightn't go over well if Givenchy is her go-to. We'll see.

Well...nobody can complain that her shoulders and colour of dress upstages the Queen!:lol::lol::whistling::whistling:

? The careful draping and capelike effect of this cream bespoke Givenchy dress today does seem to be a statement against all the ridiculous headlines about Meghan's gorgeous TofC outfit. Maybe Clare Waight Keller had enough time to adjust styling at the top of this dress? Or maybe it was planned like this all along? Or else they slightly changed the styling to ensure not even much of Meghan's neck was showing, so as not to distract anyone! :whistling: It almost reminds me of the blue cape style dress Meghan wore at the tribute concert for the Queen during Commonwealth week in April.

For TofC, Meghan's shoulders were barely showing. Her shoulders were practically completely encircled by the cut of the boatneck top. We just saw more of an expanse of her shoulder blades with the generous swoop at the neckline. But there was no cleavage whatsoever (unlike what we've seen on occasion at TofC in the recent past). It's even possible that Meghan took her inspiration for the styling of the pale pink outfit from a dress that the Duchess of Wessex wore in 2011. So it's mindboggling how some fans and media carried on about what Meghan wore. Meghan looked quite lovely and sexy at TofC. And clearly her skin had a nice glow from being in most likely a sunny clime for her honeymoon. It was a very warm day and Meghan looked cool and comfortable last Saturday.

For those who commented on Meghan's stockings at the BP Garden party, clearly she chose that look to match the opaque look of the sleeves of the pale pink dress she wore. Today in the Givenchy dress, Meghan's stockings are sheer and barely there, so she's wearing nude stockings. ?

I think Meghan looks rather demure today. I'm not sure I particularly care for the styling of the boxed-in capelike effect at the top of the Givenchy bespoke dress. The top half by itself makes Meghan look almost like a nun. ? I do like the belt, and her hair looks nice. The clutch and shoes are nice. Meghan's lower arms are out and she's not wearing gloves or a hat like the Queen, but that tends to be the younger royal ladies' go-to on public engagements. The younger ladies tend to leave hats and gloves for full-on ceremonial and traditional events.

As usual, Meghan is able to carry off the style choices she makes with remarkable flair and substance. And she looked very much at ease with the Queen. The cream color I think is in keeping with Meghan's color palette preferences. Clearly though, Meghan's style as Duchess of Sussex is evolving in keeping with her new high profile role as a member of the royal firm. Her demure hemlines and the wearing of stockings at most of her official outings shows that Meghan is still in the process of figuring out how to meld who she is with her new role, sartorially and otherwise. She is not planning to lose herself in the whirlwind, methinks. ;) In her choices, I think Meghan tries to stay attuned to what works for her body. Right now, she seems to appreciate Clare Waight Keller's aesthetic approach. We'll see how often she continues to work with Clare.

I wish we had been able to see the lower half (stockings and shoes) of what Meghan wore to TofC.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, it’s obvious that she prefers softer updos now. My comment was in response to whether any woman still actually wears gel and to point out that using gel doesn’t mean helmet hair.

I know she’s favoring loose updos at the moment, but I hope we see a bit more variety because I think she looks good in more sleeker updos and ponytails.

Meghan Markle Photos Photos - 2014 Winter TCA Tour - Day 10 - Zimbio

https://static.gofugyourself.com/up...s_TodayShow_GG_082415_51831478-1482350511.jpg

https://static.gofugyourself.com/uploads/2016/12/GettyImages-182952521_master-1482350790.jpg

https://static.gofugyourself.com/uploads/2016/12/GettyImages-146228034_master-1482350644.jpg

https://static.gofugyourself.com/uploads/2016/12/GettyImages-468875975_master-1482350998.jpg

https://www.popsugar.com/fashion/ph...43632521/Meghan-Markle-Wearing-J-Crew-Airport
I hope to see the first one again. But my God I hope I don't see the second one again. :lol:

And yes, I'm aware not all gel makes your hair looks like a helmet, but I'm talking about what she'd have to do for today with the strong wind.

Another thing I noticed about the hair is that while it flies outside, it was fine by the time the pictures of the moment of silent came. However, if she had an updo or a pontail today. Some will surely fall out. They won't go back in on their own whereas loose hair does come back down.

It's hard to compare the photos, because inside, there is no wind. I personally do not like hair gel because in order to get it to look right, you have to make your hair "crunchy." My daughter has Meghan's hair: thick, curly, and long (though not as long as Meghan's) and when it's straightened, it still does not want to behave without massive amounts of intervention. I guess people can continue to complain, but I personally just accept that it's one of her quirks.

I hope to see the first one again. But my God I hope I don't see the second one again. :lol:

And yes, I'm aware not all gel makes your hair looks like a helmet, but I'm talking about what she'd have to do for today with the strong wind.

Another thing I noticed about the hair is that while it flies outside, it was fine by the time the pictures of the moment of silent came. However, if she had an updo or a pontail today. Some will surely fall out. They won't go back in on their own whereas loose hair does come back down.

See, I love the second hairstyle, but then I love a sleek bun.

With the wind, a few strands might have come loose, but a low secured ponytail would have been better than how she wore it today. While she was outside, it was flying all around and she kept touching it and pushing it out of her face when she was trying to greet people. It was just a bit distracting.

But other than the hair, I thought she looked good. The dress fit her nicely and the color looked lovely on her. The only thing that stopped me from loving the dress was the cape. I wonder if it's removable?

My favorite sleek hair style was the one when she gave the UN speech. I was lovely.

Oh I love that one too.
Meghan UN

Last edited:
See, I love the second hairstyle, but then I love a sleek bun.

It's not the sleek bun that I mind. I loved her Garden Party look. I just think that particular way of sleek bun doesn't do much for her if that made sense?

I like the dress well enough--it's beautifully cut, the color is subtle and flattering, the accessories are great--but I think the cape is a bit much. Perhaps if the cape were just an inch or two shorter? As it is, it looks as though it's strangling her arms. I like her hair, although it did get messy, but with gusts of 60mph, I'm not sure a ponytail or updo could have withstood the wind, either.

If she does end up getting criticized, it might be if she prioritizes wearing a lot of Givenchy as opposed to British brands. Like all the BR ladies, the perception seems to be that part of her job is representing home grown labels, and it mightn't go over well if Givenchy is her go-to. We'll see.

Clare Waight Keller heads Givenchy, and she's British. That's the significance of Meghan choosing Givenchy. Waight Keller is the designer Meghan is working with at that house. I am not certain that I really fully like Waight Keller's overall stylistic approach for Meghan. But we'll have to wait and see as Meghan has thus far only worn two outfits by Waight Keller (obviously more may be in the works, or already completed). There is said to be a kind of Audrey Hepburn-like vibe in Waight Keller's stylistic approach, modernized of course. I do appreciate Audrey Hepburn's look which is classic and timeless. Stilll, Meghan seems in flux a bit right now because she inherently has a sassier, edgier approach to wearing clothes which is at the moment being tempered. So her overall aesthetic in the public role of Duchess of Sussex is truly a work-in-progress.

However, as I said, Meghan has the grace and oomph to carry off everything she's worn thus far with flair and a bit of insouciance. As has been revealed, Meghan met Clare earlier this year and they hit it off aesthetically. So we'll see what happens going forward. Meghan will obviously experiment with using a variety of designers. She's already worn McQueen, Carolina Herrera, et al.

As I mentioned earlier, I think the top of this bespoke cream dress almost makes Meghan look like a nun (just from the way the top is styled shoulders to neck with the encircled box-like cape). ;)

Last edited:
Clare Waight Keller heads Givenchy, and she's British. That's the significance of Meghan choosing Givenchy. Waight Keller is the designer Meghan is working with at that house. I am not certain that I really fully like Waight Keller's overall stylistic approach for Meghan. But we'll have to wait and see as Meghan has thus far only worn two outfits by Waight Keller (obviously more may be in the works, or already completed). There is said to be a kind of Audrey Hepburn-like vibe in Waight Keller's stylistic approach, modernized of course. I do appreciate Audrey Hepburn's look which is classic and timeless. Stilll, Meghan seems in flux a bit right now because she inherently has a sassier, edgier approach to wearing clothes which is at the moment being tempered. So her overall aesthetic in the public role of Duchess of Sussex is truly a work in progress.

However, as I said, Meghan has the grace and oomph to carry off everything she's worn thus far with flair and a bit of insouciance. As has been revealed, Meghan met Clare earlier this year and they hit it off aesthetically. So we'll see what happens going forward. Meghan will obviously experiment with using a variety of designers. She's already worn McQueen, Carolina Herrera, et al.

As I mentioned earlier, I think the top of this bespoke cream dress almost makes Meghan look like a nun (just from the way the top is styled shoulders to neck with the encircled box-like cape). ;)

I think there is significance in supporting a British woman who is flying the British flag high in foreign houses. French and Italian houses remains the pinnacle of fashion. For a British woman educated in British design school to be the head of one of the historic houses, that's an amazing feat. Plus, it's not like she's only wearing Givenchy. If we are going that route, she's actually worn far more Canadian and UK (British, Scottish, Welsh) clothing and accessories. This really is her first Givenchy outfit outside of her wedding.

As for having a little bit of edginess. I admit that I like Meghan in her normal style, which is classic with a bit of edge in it. I just think the edginess aspect will be toned up and dialed up as appropriate, which is the right way to go. We saw that Trooping, which is a more high profile and usually fashionable event than typical engagements, and today we had this more low-keyed event. I don't expect to see her edginess completely disappear, but I don't expect it to be on display everytime either.

I think there is significance in supporting a British woman who is flying the British flag high in foreign houses. French and Italian houses remains the pinnacle of fashion. For a British woman educated in British design school to be the head of one of the historic houses, that's an amazing feat. Plus, it's not like she's only wearing Givenchy. If we are going that route, she's actually worn far more Canadian and UK (British, Scottish, Welsh) clothing and accessories. This really is her first Givenchy outfit outside of her wedding.

The dress was lovely, as were the accessories. However, I do think Meghan could and should largely wear British brands for public engagements, especially in the early years. Once she has established her credentials, quite like the Duchess of Cambridge, she can start to introduce some foreign labels. I think this is especially key as she is not British by birth, and really must be seen to be embracing and supporting her adopted country.

I also don't think it is quite enough that the designer is British, I think it has to be a British designer that she chooses. Similarly, I am sure she could have found a black bag from a UK designer rather than a foreign label.

Yes, I'm aware that Claire Waight Keller is British. You'd have to be living under a rock to not know that at this point. But she is not working for a British label, she is working for a French label, and to put it politely, there is a long and interesting history between the French and the British. I agree with this, from muriel:
"The dress was lovely, as were the accessories. However, I do think Meghan could and should largely wear British brands for public engagements, especially in the early years. Once she has established her credentials, quite like the Duchess of Cambridge, she can start to introduce some foreign labels. I think this is especially key as she is not British by birth, and really must be seen to be embracing and supporting her adopted country.

I also don't think it is quite enough that the designer is British, I think it has to be a British designer that she chooses. Similarly, I am sure she could have found a black bag from a UK designer rather than a foreign label."

Is it a huge big deal that Meghan's wedding dress and the dress she wore for her first solo appearance with the Queen were from Givenchy? Not really, but it perhaps would have shown a little more tact if the dress she had worn today had been British rather than French. Something she might want to think about going forward, but if she chooses not to, it will certainly be noticed and commented on.

Yeah the second style doesn't work for me at all. And I'm having a difficult time warming to any of those updos with the dress she wore today. Wearing her hair down may not have been the best choice with the wind but overall, I thought it suited her look.

As for having a little bit of edginess. I admit that I like Meghan in her normal style, which is classic with a bit of edge in it. I just think the edginess aspect will be toned up and dialed up as appropriate, which is the right way to go. We saw that Trooping, which is a more high profile and usually fashionable event than typical engagements, and today we had this more low-keyed event. I don't expect to see her edginess completely disappear, but I don't expect it to be on display everytime either.

Yep, in your first paragraph, you are essentially repeating what my post was saying in response to another poster's comment about Meghan wearing Givenchy. So we are in agreement there. ?

Your last paragraph also is saying fairly much the same that my post was emphasizing: Meghan is working at staying true to her own aesthetic and to who she is, while tempering things a bit as she eases into her new role as Duchess of Sussex. So once again, there's nothing you've said that disagrees with my points. But that could be why you highlighted my post in your comments. :flowers:

It's still all a work-in-progress as far as Meghan experimenting with what will work best for her body, her aesthetic, and for royal protocol in her new role. I loved her garden party and TofC outfits (edginess and unique touches were very apparent in both actually). Today's outfit suits Meghan, but I'm not a huge fan of the box-like caped top of her dress. Still, as another poster joked earlier, it could be a statement against the ridiculous media carping about her TofC boatneck bodice that draped her shoulders and showed off her glowing tan.

Obviously, the demure hemlines Meghan now favors are a direct nod to her new role. I think she gets that right, except for the hemline of the cute black suit she wore to the church service (during Commonwealth week) with William and Harry. That was a gorgeous outfit and I loved the fabric. I did not like the too long hemline on Meghan for that outfit, which comes in mid-length hemline (as previously worn by another royal lady in a pale pink).

For me, Meghan looked absolutely gorgeous in the navy Roland Mouret dress the day before her wedding. Mouret is a friend who has dressed her many times. He knows her body and her aeshetic. I hope she wears more of his designs as Duchess of Sussex. Meghan has looked good in casual Erdem flower prints, which work for certain occasions. I also loved the Antonio Berardi iconic navy dress at the polo match last year, and the black Jackie O halo dress Meghan wore for a daytime reception in April was stunning, breathtaking. It comes in other colors, but unsurprisingly, she chose black and it worked fabulously.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/20...kie-o-dress-black-halo-commonwealth-reception

Last edited:
I loved Meghan's dress today. I find myself really loving her style. I do wish she would wear her hair up more. I'm so happy that Claire Waight Keller is designing for her. She seems like a good match. Personally, I think people are making too much of the Givenchy thing. Honestly, I think the British should happy that a British woman is heading the house.

IMHO her hair gives her a more approachable look - I like the way she is very consequent in choosing a classical and demure style which does not upstage the Nr. 1 in the party, but clearly shows that she is a lady of consequence while the hair signals she is still "one of us" and not a highflyer leaving her roots completely.

I agree with your summation here. :flowers: The insistence some have that hair should be so managed as to behave no matter what is unrealistic. Meghan is just relaxed about her hair and that's cool imo.

Love Meghan's choices in clothing. Whenever I see her now I am reminded of Audrey Hepburn. She is displaying that kind of style (for her royal work) imo. I like it. :flowers:

I loved Meghan's dress today. I find myself really loving her style. I do wish she would wear her hair up more. I'm so happy that Claire Waight Keller is designing for her. She seems like a good match. Personally, I think people are making too much of the Givenchy thing. Honestly, I think the British should happy that a British woman is heading the house.

I won't say anyone else should be happy about it but yes, a British woman heading Givenchy is really such a cool thing to me and I'm not British. :lol: I don't think we have to worry too much about Meghan wearing Givenchy either, as she has or will continue to wear predominantly British designers. The only way I see it becoming an issue is if she starts wearing Givenchy for all her most notable engagements and I don't think that's likely.

I think it is very normal for Brides to wear their bridal designer for other special occaisons througout their first year. During the engagement a bride is having fittings and is generally exposed to other designs in the designers' collection. It is a way of shopping... you are standing there with your fitting and you see something else and think - ooh that is pretty i want that too. I used to work in this industry and have been with a number of brides who have added to their trousseau over the course of their fittings. Given that Givenchy is a French Fashion house I dont expect them to be the premier designer in her wardrobe (personally i think she is more Stella McCartney) - but I do expect the occaisional dress where appropriate. And while this dress/cape was not my taste - it was appropriate.

^^ I absolutely agree with everything you said in your post. Indeed, Meghan looked so lovely in every Stella McCartney outfit she's worn thus far:
https://fashionista.com/2018/01/meghan-markle-wore-black-stella-mccartney-coat
https://www.instylemag.com.au/meghan-markle-second-wedding-dress-stella-mccartney-photos (scroll down)
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion...rtney-become-meghan-markles-dresser-in-chief/

I also enjoyed the unexpected styling of the McQueen tux Meghan wore for the Endeavour awards event:
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/20...mcqueen-first-evening-engagement-prince-harry

So hands down for me, my fave Meghan designers thus far are Roland Mouret, Antonio Berardi for that gorgeous assymetrical navy dress at the polo match last year, McCartney, McQueen, Carolina Herrera, and Erdem for casual flower prints. I'd have to see much more from Clare Waight Keller to decide if I'm truly in love with Clare's work for Meghan. It would be interesting to see what some traditional royal designers like Bruce Oldfield and Amanda Wakefield might make for Meghan.

Yeah the second style doesn't work for me at all. And I'm having a difficult time warming to any of those updos with the dress she wore today. Wearing her hair down may not have been the best choice with the wind but overall, I thought it suited her look.

I agree that Meghan's hair down today worked fine. The bit of blowing by the wind didn't do any significant damage because of how she had parted and tucked her hair. We will likely all like some hairstyles more than others. Meghan seems to know her hair very well and she's adjusting as she goes in terms of the weather in Britain.

Regarding the pics posted earlier by @soapstar, I didn't care too much for the dress styling and color in the second pic. But her hairstyle with the sunglasses looked fine. All of Meghan's pre-Harry looks are such fun to check out. ? The pics were posted for the hairstyles obviously. Those pics are all from a different time in Meghan's life when she was gaining notice as a star on Suits. Her hairstyles and her personal style also evolved over the period of 7 seasons she was part of that series. However, during that time, Meghan could be playful and edgy and sexy and classic with a twist to her heart's content.

There are more eyes on Meghan's sartorial choices these days. And she's been easing into everything fairly much with flying colors, because she's been able to carry off everything with grace and flair. I haven't liked everything she's worn to a T, but that's the fun of watching and sharing opinions. She has substance and flair sartorially and that's been a big part of her inherent appeal, even before she met and married Prince Harry.

ITA that too much is being made of Meghan needing to wear a British designer from a British design firm on this occasion. The rules are very relaxed these days. That was not a requirement for this outing with the Queen. Nor was it for Meghan's wedding attire either.

Meghan will surely continue to experiment with different designers. Yet she will surely work again with Clare Waight Keller, as it's been indicated that they share a similar style aesthetic (clean lines, classic looks, Audrey Hepburn style updated). Audrey sported a Parisian-like style, but with her own unique flair. Meghan approaches the Audrey look with a laid-back California nonchalance, mixed with the sophisticated styling she learned from designers in Toronto while working on Suits.

I think Meghan has balanced wearing her hair up, down, and in casual pulled back styles.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as Givenchy is headed by a British woman, I won't be surprised if it'll be her go-to brand in the same way McQueen is very much Kate's go-to.

It's a nice enough outfit - shame about the wrinkles - but it's the flying hair that I find most annoying today.

Other than the cape effect, it's fine. She should have done something with her hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom