The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 1: May 2018 - June 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s the same hat you know which is a real shame. I don’t like anything about it frankly, her hair looks unkempt but then she had to wear it down to cover her shoulders. We seem to have gone from constant pants to constant blush.

I don't think it's the same hat....I haven't seen a side by side yet but they look different...but maybe it's the angle too.

LaRae

IMO the neckline was fine for 'Trooping'...It is a warm Summer day, so 'Summery' is appropriate..
The Countess of Wessex's neckline, however was positively 'Wintry'..

:previous: I really like her Caroline Herra peach dress. It the colour really looks gorgeous on her and the wide, almost off the shoulder neckline is really spectacular and once again really let the design speak for itself. The hat is gorgeous and also streamlined and minimalist.

IMO the neckline is perfectly acceptable for the TOC as we only see them going to and from the Parade Ground but since they are not on show on there I definitely give her a pass.

My only reservation is the chance of sunburn!

And that neckline showed off Meghan's gorgeous skin tone! Yes....bigger earrings OR a necklace would have been great.

The angle of her titfer look promising.. not an easy thing to perfect for those unused to hats, so 'Bravo Ma'am' !

I think Meghan is doing pretty well in the hat department! Which is good because hats can look odd on someone not used to wearing them at first. But I guess if you get fitted for Phillip Tracy, it better go right. So glad the berets are gone.

Yes, that! I couldn't figure out what was wrong with that dress for me and this is the reason. It's a great dress, but not for TTC.

It is a lovely dress in a very pretty peachy/pink but I agree that it is the neckline is better suited for an evening event. The hat is excellent and it would appear that she's wearing her hair half-up with a few loose curls at the end.

Reactions: Fem
I think it’s the same hat you know which is a real shame. I don’t like anything about it frankly, her hair looks unkempt but then she had to wear it down to cover her shoulders. We seem to have gone from constant pants to constant blush.
Her hair doesn’t look anymore unkept as any other ladies that has rode in the carriage or on that balcony with long flowing hair. And blush is the new black rather than pants. :lol: I’m wondering when we’ll first see her in pants as The Duchess of Sussex? Won’t be next week, but can’t wait!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DesNXWfW0AEdOjy.jpg

The Garden party.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfP92A0X0AAF3rA.jpg:large

Trooping

The brim is different....would they reshape it for one event?

LaRae
I think she just put it on from a different angle to give it a different look. I do remember thinking that the hat looked different from a different angle at the garden party. Well, if you are going to spend the money on Philip Tracy, better be able to wear it multiple times to average out the per wear cost.

The 'bowl' of the hat looks shallower and wider to me on today's look as compared to the garden party...but hmm.

LaRae

...and it's only the second time we see her in blush:bang:

Her look is missing something to me, and yes some of you are right, she needs a necklace!

For the hat, I think it's difficult to say are they the same hat. I thought it's same when I first saw it, but there are some differences after comparing them side by side, if they are same one it probably had been modified a lot.

So glad the berets are gone.

I agree. #teambrimhat

Last edited:
Can you even modify the base of a hat? I understand if embellishment is changed. But I can’t see anyone would change the hat itself. Isn’t that just a new and different hat at that point? :lol:

Can you even modify the base of a hat? I understand if embellishment is changed. But I can’t see anyone would change the hat itself. Isn’t that just a new and different hat at that point? :lol:

I'm sticking with my initial feeling, final answer...new hat!

LaRae

How does her hair look 'unkempt'? Her hair looks perfectly styled, with carefully placed curls. At this point everything must be unkempt if it is not up in a tight updo.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfPyfqMX4AAvEom.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjzeUpOhK9Q/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjzczRlBmdi/?taken-by=when_harry_met_meghan

Last edited:
I think adjusting the brim is quite common (I first thought she just adjusted the brim), but the brim and crown of the new one are connected differently with the previous one, the new one has a smooth curve and for the previous one there is a clear angle(?).

I like the dress/suit but not for today’s event. Off the shoulder at the TTC doesnt do it for me. I think it would be lovely at an evening reception.

Yes, that's what I think too.
Lovely dress but not quite suited for the occasion.

I think adjusting the brim is quite common (I first thought she just adjusted the brim), but the brim and crown of the new one are connected differently with the previous one, the new one has a smooth curve and for the previous one there is a clear angle(?).

I agree - the crown seems considerably flattened on this one and it gives a muss nicer flow towards the brim. I prefer this one to the one she wore to the GP. I think it frames her head nicer. I could also be wrong on this, but I feel today's hat might be a slightly smaller.

I was surprised with the off the shoulder outfit be Meghan looks good in it. As for its appropriateness,, Meghan's advisor, who has been the Queen's advisor, would have told her this outfit is a no go or Meghan would not have worn it.

Last edited:
The top of this outfit is just incredibly dated to me. It looks to me like something the Duchess of York would try to squeeze herself into. The hat was ok.

I was surprised with the off the shoulder outfit be Meghan looks good in it. As for its appropriateness,, Meghan's advisor, who has been the Queen's advisor, would have told her this outfit is a no go or Meghan would not have worn it.

As all successful "firms", the RF surely tries to offer something for every group of "customers". Meghan is the one to sell the monarchy to American tourists. She is "their" princess. It wouldn't do to suddenly become the modest and demure "second class" Royal. IMHO that neckline is a tribute to the Americans who want something "special" from her in the fashion department, while through colour of her dress, simple hat and modest and respectful behaviour on the Balcony, she acts exactly like she should do. There will be some stunning and daring pics for the US-media, but all in all she payed proper respect to the queen, Camilla and Kate as her superiors in the family. I am really charmed by her.

I like it, but I wouldn’t say I love it. Not sure why exactly. Off the shoulder really works on her. Hat looked good. Color was nice.

Meghan and Harry both looked wonderful today. They look well-rested and happy after their honeymoon. They definitely soaked up some sun too wherever they went:

Mad About Meghan
http://meghansmirror.com/royal-style/meghan-attends-trooping-the-colour/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/6...-trooping-the-colour-carolina-herrera-design/

I agree with those who say today's hat is different from the one at the Garden Party. The hat Duchess Meg wore today is a bit smaller. Also, the brim is narrower on one side and broader with an up-tuck on the high end.

I don't think Meghan needed to wear a necklace, not with the boatneck off the shoulder styling, and the broad fold around the bodice of the blazer, plus the large buttons down one side. Couple the blazer's styling with Meghan's hair falling around her shoulders in waves, and a necklace would be superfluous. Less is more, and Meghan definitely has a minimalist aesthetic. I think Meghan has nice shoulders and bone structure, so that combined with the blazer's styling is enough. Some might prefer a thin, delicate chain. But everyone's style and preference is different.

The royals likely consult and coordinate with each other in terms of colors so as not to clash. But it seems to me the ladies all have leeway as to the styling of the clothes they choose to wear, within reason. Meghan wore a classic off-the-shoulder boatneck dress at her wedding, and this blazer's boatneck styling is no different. It's not a plunging neckline. Some might find it daring, but it seems highly appropriate on a hot summer day in June. I'm sure Meghan has been guided extensively regarding protocol, and she's seemingly adhering to it fine sartorially and otherwise. ?

Last edited:
Her first Trooping appearance and Meghan NAILED it...she looked stunningly perfect!?

As all successful "firms", the RF surely tries to offer something for every group of "customers". Meghan is the one to sell the monarchy to American tourists. She is "their" princess. It wouldn't do to suddenly become the modest and demure "second class" Royal. IMHO that neckline is a tribute to the Americans who want something "special" from her in the fashion department, while through colour of her dress, simple hat and modest and respectful behaviour on the Balcony, she acts exactly like she should do. There will be some stunning and daring pics for the US-media, but all in all she payed proper respect to the queen, Camilla and Kate as her superiors in the family. I am really charmed by her.

BRF have been doing this for years. American tourists are not new.

IMO the neckline was fine for 'Trooping'...It is a warm Summer day, so 'Summery' is appropriate..
The Countess of Wessex's neckline, however was positively 'Wintry'..

I like the color of Meghan's outfit. Nice hat! I'm glad she's not wearing a beret.

I'm undecided about the neckline for this event, I think it is probably not inappropriate, just different. I agree, it could have used a necklace.

I'm American and I think this take on Meghan is just silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
...It wouldn't do to suddenly become the modest and demure "second class" Royal. IMHO that neckline is a tribute to the Americans who want something "special" from her in the fashion department...

With fashion websites crashing, I think it's more than just Americans who are interested in Meghan's accessible and fashionable style. ;)

I've responded to your earlier additional comments in Meghan's Future Duties, Roles & Responsibilities thread, as it seems off-topic to discuss here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom