The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 1: May 2018 - June 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not see what you are seeing. Meghan's shoulders are not bare. Her lower arms are bare and we can see her neck and a slight bit of her shoulder blades. Look at the picture evidence:
Mad About Meghan

The bodice of the top is sitting just on and around Meghan's shoulders, and it's very similar to not only the style of her wedding dress, but also to the style of the plaid blazer Meghan wore in Wales:
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/prince-harry-shares-adorable-cheeky-190852419.html

The only difference with today's outfit is that there's a slight dip in the center of the bodice, and it doesn't have sleeves. So it seems that very slight bit of extra skin upsets some people? I see nothing wrong with what the Duchess of Sussex is wearing. In fact, she's been quite conservative with her hemlines, so why not show a bit of her shoulder blades with the bateau neckline which she's worn before and looks so lovely on her? The Sussexes obviously came back from spending some time in the sun and Meghan clearly has a nice glow to her skin as a result.

I love her outfit and her skin tone is gorgeous!!!

she looked stunning. As did Catherine.

Yes, they both looked absolutely fabulous!! I thought their outfit colors complemented each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
As if The Queen would care that Meghan was exposing a little bit of her shoulder. Lord have mercy - the woman has shoulders! The end is nigh! - A royal reporter, Charlie Proctor

I admit I chuckled when I woke up this morning and saw Meghan worn an off the shoulder dress. I knew it would shock some. There are plenty of headlines about breaking so called “protocol”. But reality is, a lot of these protocols are what nonroyals decided over time based on what they thought rather than what actually is protocol.

I thought Meghan looked lovely. Some might not like it, which is fine, but hardly inappropriate as that’s defined only by royal standards, not our personal standards.

I appreciate your opinion and you’re obviously a huge fan of Meghan’s, but posting links to Meghan fan sites to back up your opinion isn’t really objective.

It's all in the eye of the beholder, and everyone obviously can like what they will or not, for whatever reason.

I posted links to show the actual photos, which can be found on a number of sites, but not as any kind of back-up for my opinions. (..) The purpose of my posting the links was not for reading any of the text, but just for taking a look at the photos.

In fact, all the royals as usual looked fairly on point today. Fashion, color and styles are always going to be something that most people will not agree on in every aspect, which is obvious from reading this thread. Everyone is sharing their opinions. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

I've certainly voiced some criticisms of a few outfits I wasn't partial to that Meghan has worn. She is definitely easing into her role, and she's managing quite well, as she's been able to carry things off with a great deal of ease. The black suit Meghan wore to the church service with William and Harry, I thought was nice, except for the skirt being too long on her. However, the fabric was gorgeous. I didn't like the cream outfit with black lines and the black jacket over Meghan's shoulders during Commonwealth week. The trendy styling of the overlong belt I really disliked. Still some people loved that outfit. I've talked about wanting to see more color on Meghan, and now after her marriage, we are seeing some lighter colors for the summer. I'm sure Meghan will continue to blossom and to be herself in the choices she makes. Prince Harry certainly has great love for, deep faith and steady trust in his wife. We see that in his eyes and he said it himself in the engagement interview.

(..)

I admit I chuckled when I woke up this morning and saw Meghan worn an off the shoulder dress. I knew it would shock some. There are plenty of headlines about breaking so called “protocol”. But reality is, a lot of these protocols are what nonroyals decided over time based on what they thought rather than what actually is protocol.

Hear, hear some people are just more royalists than the Queen !
Overhall i think she looked just fine, even if her outfit (hat included) was way too close to the one worn some weeks ago at the Garden Party. But she was fairly aware that all eyes would be on her, so i guess she played it safe and down, leaving the spotlight to the birthday girl and the other royal ladies. A good point in my book.

I loved her outfit, but I would have liked to see the bottom of it and the shoes

I love the pink dress today. Beautiful color and style. It's one of her best looks. Stunning dress.

i thik she looks glowing that pink suits her alot i like the dress and i like the hat very much
it's the same hat from the previous event with Charles and Camilla?

As all successful "firms", the RF surely tries to offer something for every group of "customers". Meghan is the one to sell the monarchy to American tourists. She is "their" princess. It wouldn't do to suddenly become the modest and demure "second class" Royal. IMHO that neckline is a tribute to the Americans who want something "special" from her in the fashion department, while through colour of her dress, simple hat and modest and respectful behaviour on the Balcony, she acts exactly like she should do. There will be some stunning and daring pics for the US-media, but all in all she payed proper respect to the queen, Camilla and Kate as her superiors in the family. I am really charmed by her.

I disagree that Meghan's neckline "is a tribute to the Americans who want something special from her in the fashion department." I doubt any American fans are being considered by Meghan when choosing her wardrobe for traditional British events like Trooping the Color.

And Great Britain and the Royal family have been attracting American tourists for years. Yes, a few more Americans have become interested because of Meghan, but many of us Americans followed the Royal family or visited Great Britain long before Meghan was even born.

Meghan’s dress has me seeing triple! Amal Clooney wore a pink(ish)off the shoulder gown with a portrait collar earlier this week, as did an announcer at the Belmont Stakes today, then I happened to have a look at a picture of Sophie
from 2011, which had a similar neckline:

https://www.gettyimages.com.au/event/trooping-the-colour-115092530#/-picture-id115878876

And they all looked great in the style.

Sophie's neckline in 2011 is a lot lower than Meghan's today. Meghan's was tame in comparison.

Meghan’s dress has me seeing triple! Amal Clooney wore a pink(ish)off the shoulder gown with a portrait collar earlier this week, as did an announcer at the Belmont Stakes today, then I happened to have a look at a picture of Sophie
from 2011, which had a similar neckline:

https://www.gettyimages.com.au/event/trooping-the-colour-115092530#/-picture-id115878876

And they all looked great in the style.

Thanks for the other pictures. I was sure I'd seen bare shoulders on another royal.

Regarding Meghan’s style, fashion, manner, and general personality: I would imagine that she will continue to be very American. Of course, she will properly conform to BRF ways, but I expect that she will never seem very British.

Oy, that 2011 outfit was as awful on Sophie! Meghan's take is infinitely better.

And Meghan is 36 so to expect her to have a total overhaul of her personality, manner, fashion, etc. in the span of mere months to fit whatever people define as "British" was always going to end in disappoint. I am rather glad she is staying true to herself while adapting where needed and as respectful.

Reactions: ACO
Oy, that 2011 outfit was as awful on Sophie! Meghan's take is infinitely better.

And Meghan is 36 so to expect her to have a total overhaul of her personality, manner, fashion, etc. in the span of mere months to fit whatever people define as "British" was always going to end in disappoint. I am rather glad she is staying true to herself while adapting where needed and as respectful.

I didn't mind the dress Sophie was wearing, but hat looks as if it weighs 50 lbs! I think everyone looked very nice. I can't wait to see what Megs and Kate wear for Ascot.

I really like this outfit - the buttons off to the side and the jacket/skirt combo looked really good - quirky enough to still be "Meghan" but still regal. Loved the off the shoulder neckline.

And that HAT!!! Loved it even more than the Garden Party hat - and also wonder if she just turned the brim up on it? Don't know - but if she did do that, what a great idea! Now I want an asymmetrical hat like that one - so I can turn the brim up... loved that!

Also - Meghan was just glowing today - and I loved her makeup. Soft yet deep around the eyes... she's got that makeup look nailed.

Even better than how she looked was how Harry was looking at her... awwwww.

I really like this outfit - the buttons off to the side and the jacket/skirt combo looked really good - quirky enough to still be "Meghan" but still regal. Loved the off the shoulder neckline.

And that HAT!!! Loved it even more than the Garden Party hat - and also wonder if she just turned the brim up on it? Don't know - but if she did do that, what a great idea! Now I want an asymmetrical hat like that one - so I can turn the brim up... loved that!

Also - Meghan was just glowing today - and I loved her makeup. Soft yet deep around the eyes... she's got that makeup look nailed.

Even better than how she looked was how Harry was looking at her... awwwww.

There was some discussion about that hat earlier today...I posted links of both hats fairly close up...I really do think they are 2 different hats and I like the Garden Party hat best! lol

LaRae

And that neckline showed off Meghan's gorgeous skin tone! Yes....bigger earrings OR a necklace would have been great.
I am coming to the conclusion that Meghan is from the Chanel school of dressing. Take one last look in the mirror and take one accessory off.

Do we have a "shudder" emoji? I heard wailing from my hat boxes in my wardrobe when I gasped out loud and read aloud the theories on Meghan's hat. Reshaping crowns, bending brims . . . ugh, step. away, from. the. hats. They are millinery masterpieces, works of art no less. Philistines.

I am coming to the conclusion that Meghan is from the Chanel school of dressing. Take one last look in the mirror and take one accessory off.

Do we have a "shudder" emoji? I heard wailing from my hat boxes in my wardrobe when I gasped out loud and read aloud the theories on Meghan's hat. Reshaping crowns, bending brims . . . ugh, step. away, from. the. hats. They are millinery masterpieces, works of art no less. Philistines.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

My goodness!! Is it out of the realm of possibility that a hat could be built to be worn either way? I've had hats that I could change the brim on... well my mom did... Or maybe that's what I did to them so they wouldn't seem so fuddy duddy?

I had wondered about them changing the shape (Sorry Marg) because when I was growing up I was around a lot of folks who wore cowboy hats..and let me tell you some of those are are expensive...anyway, the good hat stores had someone who would experienced in shaping the brims...and use steam and whatever other methods to do it...so I wondered if they could do that with ladies hats like Meghan's too.

But I still think they are two different hats!!!

LaRae

I think Meghan's outfit is both beautiful and appropriate. I don't mind the lack of a necklace but would have liked bigger earrings.

And is anyone else dying to know what shoes she wore?????

I thought Meghan looked stunning, the real fashion standout of the day. I loved everything about her look. I hadn't even considered that maybe she needed a necklace or bigger earrings because I thought her look was perfect as is. She's not a woman who embraces many accessories nor do I think she needs them. She's such a natural beauty and was glowing more than usual on this occasion...perhaps the result of a honeymoon tan? ;)

i thik she looks glowing that pink suits her alot i like the dress and i like the hat very much
it's the same hat from the previous event with Charles and Camilla?

It's most likely a different hat as analyzed (from photo evidence) and discussed earlier in this thread. ?

Even better than how she looked was how Harry was looking at her... awwwww

:flowers: Indeed!

Earlier consensus is the two hats are different (via photo comparison).

Last edited:
A pale pink? I don't like the box-like effect of the cape round the shoulders but the rest is lovely. I like the slimline belt and the shoes.

Last edited:
Yes, she's certainly made a statement about her shoulders!

I think it's cream. I thought at first it was a very pale pink.

It looks taupe/cream to me. I like it but I'm not sure about the cape effect...it seems rather restricting. So not a favorite look...I love the rest of the dress. I wonder if Givenchy is going to be her go to designer like McQueen is for Kate.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom