The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 03:09 PM
Courtier

I don't love this, but it's serviceable. She is heavy-handed with the blush/highlighter on her cheek at times. I suspect that's our tell that she's done her makeup herself rather than having it done by a pro. Perhaps she's leaning a little too heavily on what she learned to do for stage makeup as a theater student, thinking "I'm on display, people are trying to see me from faraway, so a little of that approach is appropriate," but it really doesn't photograph very well.

Early days yet for her to find the right balance, though.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
A Commonwealth designer would have been nice, as noted by others. Maybe even one who's less-known and would benefit from this kine of limelight?
Meh, I would say perhaps British, but when you get to using a Commonwealth deisnger, it gets down to well, why did she go with this country and not the others?

Old 06-26-2018, 03:40 PM
Courtier

Assymetrical hemline - check
Boring monochrome (more like mo-NO-chrome) - check
Huge, awkward buttons - check
Nice accessory (shoes in this case) - check

Once again I need a cup of coffee after a Meghan public appearance. (..)
I do like the shoes, though.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I love the look. Very regal and elegant. A beautiful outfit.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:10 PM
Courtier

So boring...again.

I really like Meghan and what she stands up for (or did, prior to her engagement, and I'm sure still does.)...but her clothing choices are just not my cup of tea.

The highlighter was heavy, and the dress/skirt/ensemble was a yawn. I do like her shoes. Her hair didn't do anything for me either.

Be a good person.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:13 PM
Administrator

As already stated in a previous mod post, this is not a thread about etiquette and the legs crossing habits in the Royal Family and around the world. Several posts and replies to them have been removed as off-topic. Please concentrate on the Duchess of Sussex's fashion choices instead!
Old 06-26-2018, 04:23 PM
Royal Highness

Okay, so many comments that Meghan's outfit is boring......well if looking classy, chic and elegant is boring, then bring it on please.....

I gorgeous outfit and the peplum look on her is perfect as is the color. Only thing personally I do not like is those hems that are high one side and down the next, looks like a darn diaper hanging down a woman's back....

She looks great and her hair is fabulous and those shoes are to die for, they are in pink also which is so sexy to me. Very well done today......
Old 06-26-2018, 04:58 PM
Courtier

Looks like a Jackie O inspired ensemble and I like it! Very chic. Love those shoes too. She looks beautiful.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
Okay, so many comments that Meghan's outfit is boring......well if looking classy, chic and elegant is boring, then bring it on please.....

I gorgeous outfit and the peplum look on her is perfect as is the color. Only thing personally I do not like is those hems that are high one side and down the next, looks like a darn diaper hanging down a woman's back....

She looks great and her hair is fabulous and those shoes are to die for, they are in pink also which is so sexy to me. Very well done today......
agreed! Meghan knows what suits her. She knows how to dress. I love her outfit and her hair.

(..)
Old 06-26-2018, 05:19 PM
Administrator

It's a nice classic look. Definitely the buttons and/or belt are about individual taste and she seems to like it.

I am not sure what everyone means about boring. Yes, it would be nice to have some color but let's keep in mind she has been married for a month and this is an engagement with her husband and the Queen. She doesn't need to bring additional attention to herself with a red suit. At this point, she needs to blend.

Meghan knows her role...to support her husband and the Queen. The Queen is the one that needs to be seen to be believed. At this point, Meghan should dress in a way that doesn't offend or bring unnecessary attention to herself.

If and when she gets her footing, we might see a bit "more" in her wardrobe...until that happens...this isn't bad.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:28 PM
Nobility

She looks great! Hair, dress, those shoes (GIMME!). Very nice.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:32 PM
Serene Highness

I don't believe Meghan is wearing "highlighter" as much as she is using "illuminating" powder or blush. This tends to pick up the light when flash photography is used. Despite that I think she looks lovely. I think her two piece dress looks very appropriate for the occasion.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:40 PM
Serene Highness

Dressing for an event with HM must be a totally different level of stress... very traditional and classic and most importantly .... appropriate. agreed a British or CW designer may have been a better choice - but she is learning and feeling her way. nice attire for a supporting player on HM's stage.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
It's a nice classic look. Definitely the buttons and/or belt are about individual taste and she seems to like it.

I am not sure what everyone means about boring.
Yes, it would be nice to have some color but let's keep in mind she has been married for a month and this is an engagement with her husband and the Queen. She doesn't need to bring additional attention to herself with a red suit. At this point, she needs to blend.

Meghan knows her role...to support her husband and the Queen. The Queen is the one that needs to be seen to be believed. At this point, Meghan should dress in a way that doesn't offend or bring unnecessary attention to herself.

If and when she gets her footing, we might see a bit "more" in her wardrobe...until that happens...this isn't bad.
It's not just color, it's styling, too. It's monotonous, I listed similarities to other outfits above and those were just off the top of my head.

She continuously shows up in new outfits that look very similar to others she's worn (hmmm, what person am I thinking of who gets criticized for the very same thing? ) and she's only been at it a month!

RE blending when with HM, Meghan's style is boring even when HM isn't there, so no excuse there about blending. We've seen her blending, now let's see some dazzle (and I don't mean with highlighter), is that too much to ask?
Old 06-26-2018, 06:10 PM
Royal Highness

FIt's fine and it's appropriate. Meghan is a royal duchess; Hollywood flash is totally out now. Her choices are making an impression; the category in the Teen Choice Award she's nominated in is Style Icon. She's dressing fine for what she's doing. I don't want her dressing like a Kardashian or Beyonce or any other Hollywood actress where you get points for tight and revealing. The Stella McCarthy reception dress was just right.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Perfect ! Her style and it suits her perfectly....colour soft and lovely : 10/10
Old 06-26-2018, 06:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Make-up yet again not blended. Invest in a Beautyblender or some decent brushes, like damn. It shouldn't be that hard.

Her outfit is pristine, approriate and will serve her well in years to come. It's also a bore. The shoes are delicious though.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:27 PM
Majesty

I have to admit I really like the way her hair is styled. It is perfect for an indoor event such as this where no stray breeze or hurricane will ruin the look. Her pink Prada dress looked really lovely and I see she is wearing things that will become signature "looks", bateau necklines, big buttons, thin belts, asymmetrical hems and divinely wicked shoes. 'What Meghan Wore' stated that
Quote:
"Kensington Palace advised the royal press that the Duchess was wearing Prada. We’ve not yet found any designs that resemble Meghan’s outfit. The ensemble features a double-breasted jacket with short sleeves, bateau neckline, and matching belt.
I think Meghan is laying the basis of her "royal" wardrobe based on what is suitable to be worn to things where HM is the star and just about every ensemble will be different and I don't think it will be long before there is wailing about the cost of her wardrobe. This has happened to every new royal and a lot of Meghan's clothes are very classic and should wear well. Even so, I don't think she will be the lucky one who misses the criticism.

I have a feeling that what she is wearing now is hard to nail down financially and so we have mostly been spared the awful standard photo with price tags on everything she wears. As Zonk said, we may see more of her wardrobe given time but just now she is wearing clothes suitable for her role of supporting Harry and the Queen. She is not the Belle of the Ball!

Just for the record . . . I want those shoes!
Old 06-26-2018, 06:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
All I can say is that Meghan dresses appropriately for the occasions she attends and knows quite well that she's not on a fashion runway. If boring is her modus operandi, all the better. Less focus on what she's wearing and more on what she's doing.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:33 PM
Serene Highness

While I really like this look, I think the same outfit minus the buttons and in electric blue or red would have been smashing and modern while still royal appropriate.

Closed Thread