The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 09:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I love love loooooooove that hat.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:25 PM
Majesty

Have to admit clicking on was easy this morning because I turned the TV to YouTube and selected Royal Ascot and Voilà! Meghan aced it. At first, when I saw Meghan in the Ascot Carriage wearing what appeared to be a shirtwaister top I was a little disappointed.

However, it seems to me that most of Meghan's ensembles are the sum of their parts and I could only see the top. I adored her choice of Philip Treacy millinery magic but until I saw her standing I was undecided. Would it all come together and make a wonderful ensemble or would it be déjà vu?

Then came the full view and I was really impressed. The ordinary shirtwaister was immediately rendered extraordinary with the weight of the material giving the skirt wonderful movement and the asymmetrical hem giving it a softer, lighter appearance which was perfectly in concert with her black and white hat and black belt, clutch and shoes and her dashing Prince!

It was all ver 1950's . . . with a twist.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

The Duchess of Sussex at Ascot today, June 19:

** Full view ** Full view ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 ** Upper part 3 ** Upper part 4 ** Upper part 5 **
Way too casual and boring as usual. Love the hat, the rest of it is simply unimpressive to put it kindly.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:28 PM
Heir Apparent

She looked lovely. The hat stunning, the dress nice. She is feeling her way in. It is a thousand % better than the flowered bathrobe she wore to the wedding. She is trying to fit in.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:33 PM
Serene Highness

I've seen the dress in motion now and wowza! What a look! The dress has such great movement to it and Meghan pulls it off well.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Since a few people talked about the movement, here is a video of Harry and Meghan entering Royal Enclosure. Great movement, and of course they are holding hands.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Have to admit clicking on was easy this morning because I turned the TV to YouTube and selected Royal Ascot and Voilà! Meghan aced it. At first, when I saw Meghan in the Ascot Carriage wearing what appeared to be a shirtwaister top I was a little disappointed.

However, it seems to me that most of Meghan's ensembles are the sum of their parts and I could only see the top. I adored her choice of Philip Treacy millinery magic but until I saw her standing I was undecided. Would it all come together and make a wonderful ensemble or would it be déjà vu?

Then came the full view and I was really impressed. The ordinary shirtwaister was immediately rendered extraordinary with the weight of the material giving the skirt wonderful movement and the asymmetrical hem giving it a softer, lighter appearance which was perfectly in concert with her black and white hat and black belt, clutch and shoes and her dashing Prince!

It was all ver 1950's . . . with a twist.

I'm with you on this one...50's vibe, great fabric and the movement was lovely in the video of them walking. She looks wonderful in it. The hat is just gorgeous too!

LaRae
Old 06-20-2018, 01:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

** Full view ** Full view ** Upper part ** Upper part 2 ** Upper part 3 ** Upper part 4 ** Upper part 5 **
Absolutely gorgeous.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:04 AM
Gentry

I thought she nailed it. She really needed to take the attention back to positive, she's had a rotten few days, hasn't she? Bad press from attending a private wedding, and her family problems arising again. I thought in the first photos of Ascot, she looked stressed but in the later ones, she seems more relaxed. Must be awful to be the subject of everyone's judgement on so many fronts. She has my good wishes, for what that's worth!
Old 06-20-2018, 02:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Exceptionally snazzy in my view! When she stays with her preferences we see some great stuff.

This is a particularly impressive photo: Upper part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia View Post
I thought she nailed it.
She did, didn't she!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia View Post
She really needed to take the attention back to positive, she's had a rotten few days, hasn't she? Bad press from attending a private wedding, and her family problems arising again. I thought in the first photos of Ascot, she looked stressed but in the later ones, she seems more relaxed. Must be awful to be the subject of everyone's judgement on so many fronts. She has my good wishes, for what that's worth!
Definitely saw that in the pictures. Poor kid! A feeling she's being beaten down a bit. Hope she can get some positive vibes in the foreign travels. She needs to stay far away from her press. On some level I think she may be embarrassed by all the trouble her family has been causing, not to mention being blind-sided by her father.

I think a positive sign is she and Harry were traveling with Edward and Sophie in the carriage. If anyone can help Meghan deal with all this stuff from a professional standpoint (and personal) it would be Sophie (imo).
Old 06-20-2018, 02:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Okay, so I will be in the minority on this outfit. The outfit to me was plain and boring, nothing special except for the hem. The hat however, I absolutely loved, best one yet.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:27 PM
Heir Apparent

After further viewing I would like to change my opinion on the shirtdress and put it as a miss; it seems too informal for the event. Additionally, the shoes are hideous, but I still love the hat.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:06 PM
Serene Highness

I agree. Lovely for a garden party, but much too casual for Ascot.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

It's Ascot, not even ladies' day, not a black tie event. It calls for the same level of style as a royal garden party. No need for a lace covered my fair lady look.

She looks fantastic. I love the retro vibe. And totally in love with the hat

Cant believe I missed her Ascot debut due to a broken computer
Old 06-22-2018, 12:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenPenny View Post

I agree. Lovely for a garden party, but much too casual for Ascot.
Hmm I think even a garden party would require a better outfit... Then again I've never been to a garden party.
This shirt dress looks like something I'd wear to a BBQ.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

They must have fancy BBQ in Texas...must be high society. BBQ here folks wear casual clothing. That dress would be like Sunday wear.

LaRae
Old 06-22-2018, 12:53 PM
Majesty

My cousin went to the University of Georgia and she said southern women wear heels to a tailgate party, so a dress to bbq seems about right.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Most people wouldn’t wear a white dress to a barbecue! The Duchess of Gloucester wore a lovely shirt dress to Ascot yesterday.

And Meghan’s shoes were perfectly plain black heels, hardly hideous.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-22-2018, 02:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
My cousin went to the University of Georgia and she said southern women wear heels to a tailgate party, so a dress to bbq seems about right.

Yes I've seen similar attire in photos of Ole Miss tailgates.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Tailgate in some southern states with big football schools are quite different. It's almost like people going to the horse track, although not quite as over the top. People get more dressed up compared to other equivalent events. Just because they'd wear high heels to tailgating, doesn't mean they dress up to go to a BBQ.

Closed Thread