The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 10:23 AM
Courtier

This dress fits exactly as that style should, IMO. It’s a great cut for her and one I hope we see repeated. She wears white and off-whites well, so I like the color. The wavy hem, though...big yuck from me. And part of me wishes the belt were a shot of color instead of black.

LOVE that hat on her, and that’s the perfect hairstyle for it and this occasion.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:26 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
French fashion house? Again? This woman doesn't learn.

The head designer is English...

Old 06-19-2018, 10:26 AM
Courtier

I don't absolutely love it but it does look nice on her, particularly the hat. I know that I'm one of those who is very, very tired of the neutral colors and I would love to see her in something with actual color but I'm happy to see that the dress fit well, did not appear to be at least a size too big, her hat is lovely....overall not my personal favorite look but one that certainly looks nice on her.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
flowy rather than shapeless
It's what my Mother always called a 'shirt-waister'.. she wore them a LOT ! Simple, elegant and comfortable..
Old 06-19-2018, 10:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Nothing wrong with her wearing Givenchy (Englishwoman, head designer..makes a point)...third time and it works for her.

LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
It's what my Mother always called a 'shirt-waister'.. she wore them a LOT ! Simple, elegant and comfortable..
It's very 50's? I think that is the era...great style.

LaRae
Old 06-19-2018, 10:35 AM
Serene Highness

I am not sure about the dress. But love the hat.

I am not keen on how much givenchy Meghan has been sporting. While I do not think there is any protocol on having to always wear British (no matter what the Kate detractors and now Meghan haters say), I do think that her not wearing British designers her past few public outings isn’t ideal either. She was very good about balancing this pre wedding.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:36 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
French fashion house? Again? This woman doesn't learn.
You mean her British wedding designer, again? The one who has her measurements, an established working relationship and preferences and dislikes for all these big events not even 1 month after her wedding?

Seriously, though - this is a very frequent occurrence with high profile Royal ladies & as all those other Royal brides, I am sure the DoS will eventually branch out to more designers after her first couple of months / first year.

I also reckon Emilia Wickstead ought to be quite mad at her blabby mouth, because she did not only dress Meghan before the wedding(ie. clear signal for future interest) but Meghan's newlywed aesthetic seems to be quite up EW's alley.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:41 AM
Majesty

C’mon, Givenchy is absolutely French. It’s as French as you get. The fact the head designer was born in England doesn’t change that.

I’d like to see her wear British. Everyone made such a big deal about Meghan wearing trousers from a local welsh company and all the good it did.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:44 AM
Courtier

I love her look today, especially the asymmetrical hem. Very nice!
Old 06-19-2018, 10:44 AM
Gentry

Probably Givenchy provided her with full dowry chest of dresses on her wedding, and now she has to walk them all
Shame they didn't put the one marked as "country wedding" to this chest.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:47 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
C’mon, Givenchy is absolutely French. It’s as French as you get. The fact the head designer was born in England doesn’t change that.

I’d like to see her wear British. Everyone made such a big deal about Meghan wearing trousers from a local welsh company and all the good it did.
I actually agree! I would love for her to wear British, lesser known pieces to bigger events, but I am certainly not expecting her to do so 4 weeks after the wedding. I reckon more and more smaller / lesser known 'local' brand will be featured in the months to come. I just think that playing it 'safe' at all these important 'firsts' was to be expected for the time being.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:47 AM
Commoner

These hats she keeps picking out or who ever does her fashion choices is a HOT MESS
Old 06-19-2018, 10:48 AM
Majesty

The one marked 'country wedding' ought to have mysteriously disappeared before it was delivered, preferably in the Thames! However, this makes up for it in all sorts of ways. I forgot to say I just love Meghan's clutch!
Old 06-19-2018, 10:50 AM
Commoner

Is it possible that they had fabric left over from the wedding dress, so to be thrifty multiple outfits were made? I think the Givenchy dresses are beautiful. But I agree she needs to wear more UK designers.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:50 AM
Heir Apparent

She looks lovely today. I adore her hat.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:51 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloep View Post
You mean her British wedding designer, again? The one who has her measurements, an established working relationship and preferences and dislikes for all these big events not even 1 month after her wedding?

Seriously, though - this is a very frequent occurrence with high profile Royal ladies & as all those other Royal brides, I am sure the DoS will eventually branch out to more designers after her first couple of months / first year.

I also reckon Emilia Wickstead ought to be quite mad at her blabby mouth, because she did not only dress Meghan before the wedding(ie. clear signal for future interest) but Meghan's newlywed aesthetic seems to be quite up EW's alley.
I agree, why not get dress buying out of the way when you're at a fashion house anyway and you know that you're going to need them. She will learn, she's new to this. Wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't start using some of the Duchess of Cambridge's designers.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
This look definitely has a vintage feel to it. l really like it. The hat is especially lovely!

It does, especially the hat. It’s perfect for the event. Simple, classic, elegant with a little flair. So much better than the last outfit.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Don’t like the hat, don’t mind the dress it’s more fitted than Saturdays debacle but I still find it very casual for Royal Ascot. Shoes aren’t great either.

As always would love to see her in an actual colour.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Clare Waight Keller will likely be her one of the main designers she works with. Not that she'll always be in Givenchy, and I'm sure we'll start seeing a few more local and perhaps not as high profile designers as she goes to more events with more relaxed dress codes.

But yea, I don't see her giving up Givenchy.

There seems to be a lot of white and neutral from the royal ladies at this year's Ascot.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:03 AM
Serene Highness

First thought, showstopper with effortless ease. Wow, love it. The Duchess radiates beauty.

Closed Thread