The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 07:25 PM
Serene Highness

The print is pretty, but the dress looks awful on her. A horrible miss for Meaghan.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:35 PM
Heir Apparent

I love the colours, but not anything else.

Here’s a few dresses in the same print I’d have liked to see instead:
https://www.rockmyvintage.co.uk/medi.../e/helen-1.jpg
https://www.collectif.co.uk/images/m...2028_image.jpg
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images...a1d1fde7f5.jpg
https://img.etsystatic.com/il/ea755a....jpg?version=0
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OZXKgW-zt...e%2Btoile1.JPG

Old 06-17-2018, 07:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I like 3, 4, and 5. And maybe the second to the last one. Although with number 5, a lining is needed. I can't imagine anyone wearing it like that.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:41 PM
Majesty

Why would someone pay close to 4000 pounds (or 5500 USD) for this dress? There are so many better dresses to buy for far less money. She clearly doesn't mind spending a lot of money on clothes... which I already have a hard time understanding but it is her money, so she can do as she pleases as long as she doesn't pretend to care that much about the less fortunate in this world as her lifestyle s choices suggest otherwise.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:45 PM
Majesty

£4000 buys a lot food. This is one of the conundrums Of preaching equality yet living the life of a princess.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I like 3, 4, and 5. And maybe the second to the last one. Although with number 5, a lining is needed. I can't imagine anyone wearing it like that.
I’ve edited, so numbers have changed.
Of course the dress would be lined, no one wears them in real life as they are on the runway. I assume everyone knows this and never mention it, might be spending too much time on fashion blogs.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:14 PM
Royal Highness

Whoa, came to this thread and thought I had the wrong thread......well it seems a dressing gown came into style. Let's back up here and even though I did not like the dress/cape effect, I would take that any day of the week over this monstrous dress. Just because a famous designer made it and it cost a damn fortune, it is entirely hideous by all points.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Wow... Just wow. Really bad choice; I don't think there's anything good about this look. Looks like she's wearing a table cloth and a white lily pad on her head. Harry looks fantastic.
He does, doesn't he. At least they are color-coordinated: Harry's blue tie, Meghan's blue dress. I agree with someone early on who said it looks like she was trying to 'blend in' at an English country wedding. Dismal! I agree with (nearly) everyone. So funny!

What really doesn't make it is her hair and that hat. Yikes! The hat! The last time we had such a cringe-worthy moment was when she was trying to 'blend in' at the family's Christmas gathering and walk-about at Sandringham. Gosh golly, Meghan.

I honestly think that had Meghan had her hair down with a more normal hat she could have pulled off the dress. She could have developed a more classic line. The dress itself is very pretty (maybe doesn't photograph well, I dunno - but I'd buy it, it looks like it must be heaven to wear).

With a beautiful wide brimmed hat and flowing hair, it all would have looked scrumptious. JMO.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Someone sold her "it looks like what British Upper Classes wear" and it does in many ways. It look like a bathrobe on her. Too bad a woman of fashion allowed herself to be put into that thing, with that hat. She is trying so hard to please. Be yourself. You are lovely.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:23 PM
Royal Highness

My suggestion would be to get a tailor/seamstress to completely rework this dress. The skirt is nice but the top part is horrible. Take off the top part and relplace it with a nice white fitted shirt in a floaty material. And don't wear this with a hat.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
I love the colours, but not anything else.
Here’s a few dresses in the same print I’d have liked to see instead:
https://www.collectif.co.uk/images/m...2028_image.jpg
https://assets11.modaoperandi.com/im...?_v=1528807154
I liked these two dresses you picked out. The first one would have been so much better on her, agree, but I love the second one: she would have rocked it.

Oh well, these are the learning days, not so? I'm sure Meghan's fashion diary reads something about 'slippery wet grass', rain and wind, cobblestones, and when 'trying to fit in' works and when it doesn't.

P.S. One can imagine Harry, the big lug, being totally clueless, too. "You look fab, babe!' Yeah, Harry, no help!
Old 06-17-2018, 08:53 PM
Heir Apparent

BTW, Lady Nimue's comment reminded me that someone earlier mentioned the rumor that Harry was advising Meghan on fashion. Or how he let her walk out of the house in that. I can't imagine Harry's involvement in Meghan's sartorial choices go beyond dress code.

Now, if Meghan starts to sport blue suits...
Old 06-17-2018, 09:03 PM
Majesty

The DM’s take on Meghan’s frock

Why is Meghan wearing a dull £3,900 Oscar de la Renta swamps her? | Daily Mail Online
Old 06-17-2018, 09:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Looking at it again, I've decided that I really do like the dress and would love to own it! I think it looks okay on Meghan (yes it kinda swamps her but that may be the style). What really sticks out is the hair and the hat. The Hat!
Old 06-17-2018, 09:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Why would someone pay close to 4000 pounds (or 5500 USD) for this dress? There are so many better dresses to buy for far less money. She clearly doesn't mind spending a lot of money on clothes... which I already have a hard time understanding but it is her money, so she can do as she pleases as long as she doesn't pretend to care that much about the less fortunate in this world as her lifestyle s choices suggest otherwise.
I don't see what one thing has to with the other, unless you're applying it to every member of the royal family? Meghan isn't pretending to be Mother Teresa.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:56 PM
Courtier

Since it is a wrap dress, a quick fix of the waist, to fit better, would do wonders. Also, I would fix the skirt so it doesn't blow open.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
(...)

No, the dress she wore in Jamaica wasn't a similar fit. The only thing the two dresses have in common is that they were both patterns. The Erdem dress was much more appealing in every way. This dress doesn't do anything for Meghan at all and definitely doesn't seem like her style. Oh well..lets hope she delivers a stylish look in the next few days, or at least a palate cleanser.
The Jamaica dress was also ill fitting/too large. The reason it was more forgivable was location and cut, it had no sleeves to help drown her body in. But it was equally as poor fitted. My point was that Meghan favors oversized boho fit clothing.

I didn't mean the cut of the dresses was similar, or even the shape or fall of them, just that it was also too large for her.

Be a good person.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
The Jamaica dress was also ill fitting/too large. The reason it was more forgivable was location and cut, it had no sleeves to help drown her body in. But it was equally as poor fitted. My point was that Meghan favors oversized boho fit clothing.

I didn't mean the cut of the dresses was similar, or even the shape or fall of them, just that it was also too large for her.
I went back and looked. There is no way it's too big for her. The top was clearly fitted and the dress was her size. And one dress like today hardly makes her style oversized boho fit.

Meghan Markle Jamaica March 2 2017 | Star Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
Since it is a wrap dress, a quick fix of the waist, to fit better, would do wonders. Also, I would fix the skirt so it doesn't blow open.
I just don't think there is any way to fix this one. Maybe if it came with the waist on the red one, it'd be better.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:

And I don't agree with that either. Equally as poor fitted? No. The Erdem dress was more fitted at the top and waist and flowed at the bottom, giving it a much more flattering look on her.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

No, no the dress worn in Jamaica was not too big for Meghan. As Jacqui and Abbigail said, the bodice was fitted and was not oversized. It had a tiered skirt.

Nothing like the bodice yesterday that bloused over her waist. I can't think of anything similar we've ever seen Meghan wear except her outerwear. She does favor oversized coats.

Closed Thread