The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #441  
Old 06-17-2018, 03:48 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
What about renting a garment? Many celebs rent designer garments.

Meghan is no longer a "celeb." As a member of the BRF she wouldn't be renting clothing.
__________________

  #442  
Old 06-17-2018, 03:51 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 304
Just to be clear though - this was a private event.

Her clothing was paid for/organised by herself / family. She has plenty of disposable wealth in her own right - technically more than Harry and as she was not representing anyone yesterday, the cost & designer of her dress is entirely her private business.
__________________

  #443  
Old 06-17-2018, 04:01 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloep View Post
Just to be clear though - this was a private event.

Her clothing was paid for/organised by herself / family. She has plenty of disposable wealth in her own right - technically more than Harry and as she was not representing anyone yesterday, the cost & designer of her dress is entirely her private business.

That is was a private event does not matter. Even for a private event a member of the BRF would not be wearing "gifts" from a designer.
  #444  
Old 06-17-2018, 04:04 PM
duchessrachel's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, United States
Posts: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
Actually this dress is completely Meghan's style. The print itself is bold. It's ill fitted, she favors larger more "relaxed" clothing on her frame. The dress she wore to the wedding in Jamaica was similar in fit and also a bold pattern.

Meghan's more popular stylings seem to occur when she's actually styled for an event. When it's just herself (I'm guessing), she doesn't seem to like getting her clothing tailored.

Personally I quite like this dress, and if it fit better it would have been a smash. Unfortunately it's way too big and looks as though it's wearing her, rather than Meghan wearing it.
I feel the same way. If it fit her the way it fits the woman modelling it here it would have looked great. I love seeing her trying out a different style of headpiece. I love her others, but I think it is great she is experimenting.
  #445  
Old 06-17-2018, 04:21 PM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 58,910
.

As it has been clarified that members of the British Royal Family neither get fashion as gifts nor get paid for wearing certain pieces, let us please move on. Thank you!
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
  #446  
Old 06-17-2018, 04:24 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Got a lot of love for our sista, Meghan, but can somebody tell me what in God’s name was she wearing at the wedding yesterday? I know some think of it as chic and with today’s fashion, but I thought she snatched one of The Queen’s table cloths off the Royal Train to wear at this wedding.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #447  
Old 06-17-2018, 04:26 PM
Abbigail's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
I have liked her other relaxed fit choices. I love her “bathrobe” coats. This, though...total miss. It’s just too much going on all at once, even before you throw that floof of a fascinator on top.

The most basic problem is that the waist hits her at the wrong spot. But even fixing that probably wouldn’t have helped. It’s a frumpy style to begin with in a print that is better left to cushions and china.
Yep. I was trying to find something good about the dress to see why Meghan liked it enough to wear it in public but I got nothing. I don't think this dress would look good on anyone. It's just that unflattering.
  #448  
Old 06-17-2018, 04:39 PM
cepe's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,333
I havent gone through all of the comments but this is a deliberately oversized item of clothing, especially the sleeves. There is no intention in the deisgn for it to be fitted.
It may be necessary to scroll through to see the dress. It doesnt look great on the model and she looks about 6ft tall.

We all have stuff in our wardrobes which are labelled “what were we thinkinng”
https://assets11.modaoperandi.com/im...?_v=1528164856


The hat has been indentified as from Marks and Spencer at a cost of £40.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #449  
Old 06-17-2018, 04:45 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 304
(..) I am actually looking forward to seeing some of her older pieces again - some may need to be altered here and there but otherwise there are some really nice pieces that I hope she'll bring out again if the occasion allows for them. I actually think the Sinthea dress from the 100th episode table read would have looked lovely yesterday - paired with a less tragic head piece and a nice blazer/coat/cardi.
  #450  
Old 06-17-2018, 05:03 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I havent gone through all of the comments but this is a deliberately oversized item of clothing, especially the sleeves. There is no intention in the deisgn for it to be fitted.
It may be necessary to scroll through to see the dress. It doesnt look great on the model and she looks about 6ft tall.

We all have stuff in our wardrobes which are labelled “what were we thinkinng”
https://assets11.modaoperandi.com/im...?_v=1528164856
I think the red one would've gone over much better, but it needed sleeves added to it since they are at a church. The fitted waist really makes a difference in loose fitting clothing. I'm going to say that Meghan needs to go sit in a corner and think about the decisions she made today and how she's going to make up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloep View Post
(..) I am actually looking forward to seeing some of her older pieces again - some may need to be altered here and there but otherwise there are some really nice pieces that I hope she'll bring out again if the occasion allows for them. I actually think the Sinthea dress from the 100th episode table read would have looked lovely yesterday - paired with a less tragic head piece and a nice blazer/coat/cardi.
I thought that dress was Club Monaco?
  #451  
Old 06-17-2018, 05:06 PM
IloveCP's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: -, United States
Posts: 11,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Beautiful print but not a good fit.
  #452  
Old 06-17-2018, 05:10 PM
cepe's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I think the red one would've gone over much better, but it needed sleeves added to it since they are at a church. The fitted waist really makes a difference in loose fitting clothing. I'm going to say that Meghan needs to go sit in a corner and think about the decisions she made today and how she's going to make up for it.
She should look at Letitia - they are built on a similar scale. Fitted, elegant, occasionally mad!

Good role model for her.

I am atill confused as to the change between her Suits dys and how she is choosing now.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #453  
Old 06-17-2018, 05:15 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 10,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I feel the same way. If it fit her the way it fits the woman modelling it here it would have looked great. I love seeing her trying out a different style of headpiece. I love
her others, but I think it is great she is experimenting.
As I posted, that is actually a VERY pretty dress...worn unfortunately on a woman who has neither the height and/or body type to make it work.

Michelle Obama could do it justice, or Jennifer Lopez , as another poster suggested.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
  #454  
Old 06-17-2018, 05:17 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,908
This is just my opinion but I think she’s trying to dress the part of an English Rose and it’s not working. She’s American, she should stick to what works (although I’m not a fan of her style, pre-Harry) and not try the English aristocrat look.
  #455  
Old 06-17-2018, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
She should look at Letitia - they are built on a similar scale. Fitted, elegant, occasionally mad!

Good role model for her.

I am atill confused as to the change between her Suits dys and how she is choosing now.
Most of her stuff isn't that inconsistent with her personal style beforehand. I don't think I've seen her in a lot of pencil skirts as I've seen on Suits, but NO ONE wears the stuff they wear on Suit in daily life. I remember Meghan talking about similarities and differences between Rachel and her own personal style. Both have clean lines and don't do a lot of prints. However, she has admitted to having a more California laid-back look than Rachel, the character that works at a high power New York law firm. Meghan, as Duchess of Sussex or private person, isn't going to go for a pencil skirt that's tailored on an inhale. I think we are always going to see her in things that she can breath in or it'll still fit if she eats a burger.

I think Letizia's a great role model. Although, I suspect Meghan's lines will be softer and more laid back than Letizia.

But I have no explanation for this today.
  #456  
Old 06-17-2018, 05:35 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Anderson, United States
Posts: 715
So to paraphrase Arlo Guthrie - where have all the mirrors gone?

Clearly wherever, Meghan got dressed didn't have one! I prefer the minimal neutrals to this horror.
  #457  
Old 06-17-2018, 05:59 PM
Abbigail's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, United States
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
This is just my opinion but I think she’s trying to dress the part of an English Rose and it’s not working. She’s American, she should stick to what works (although I’m not a fan of her style, pre-Harry) and not try the English aristocrat look.
Seems like an odd critique given the complaints about the lack of color in her outfits choices and the simple hats. Nothing she has worn screams English aristocrat to me. With the exception of this lastest ensemble, everything she has worn looks like her style to me.
  #458  
Old 06-17-2018, 06:14 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
This is just my opinion but I think she’s trying to dress the part of an English Rose and it’s not working. She’s American, she should stick to what works (although I’m not a fan of her style, pre-Harry) and not try the English aristocrat look.
Oh Lord, I hope she don’t try that English Rose style. Those aristocratic ladies look too shabby, IMO. Meghan is a fly sista, so she should stick to that.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #459  
Old 06-17-2018, 06:21 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I thought that dress was Club Monaco?
Yeah it is - it's just called the Sinthea Dress. Own it myself and that's why I just automatically refer to it like that to differentiate from my other CM dresses. Sorry for the confusion.
  #460  
Old 06-17-2018, 06:59 PM
Mademoiselle Lilo's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: T/H, Morocco
Posts: 9,451
back to the unfitting outfits i thought she is over with that problem but clearly she still have a problem with fitting Imo
can't add anything about her look that the rest of the members here didn't mention except maybe that her hairdo is as horrible as her dress,the whole look deserve to be in the most terrible section.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
america american archie mountbatten-windsor asia britain british british royal family buckingham palace camilla's family camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing clarence house colorblindness crown jewels daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii family life family tree fashion and style genetics gradenigo gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hello! history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs jack brooksbank japan japanese imperial family japan history jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor list of rulers meghan markle monarchist movements monarchists monarchy names nara period plantinum jubilee pless politics portugal prince harry queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen victoria royal ancestry solomon j solomon spanish royal family st edward sussex suthida swedish queen unfinished portrait united states united states of america welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×